Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

https://www.france24.com/en/20200301-france-shuts-down-louvre-amid-coronavirus-fears

Well. Fuck balls. Supposed to leave next Saturday for Paris and was going to make a decision Thursday morning. This was my fear that monuments and exhibits would close. Guess the decision has been made.

See what the announcement is tomorrow. I wouldn't be shocked to see the Louvre shut. That being said, lots of other things to see in Paris.

And I feel you. Waiting with bated breath about my trip to Spain in April. We are going partially for the Easter celebration in Seville. If that is cancelled...

I am having a hard time about leaving for Spain on Friday. 25 new cases today. We are supposed to be going to 19 high school kids. The idiot teacher in charge had not idea about the new cases in the last two days. Probably going to be out a lot of money unless the US ramps up to a level 3 travel warning. FML

The wife has asthma so that has me really worried.

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I am having a hard time about leaving for Spain on Friday. 25 new cases today. We are supposed to be going to 19 high school kids. The idiot teacher in charge had not idea about the new cases in the last two days. Probably going to be out a lot of money unless the US ramps up to a level 3 travel warning. FML

The wife has asthma so that has me really worried.

No job or money is worth it 

1 hour ago, midtown said:
1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:
No job or money is worth it 

You're still 1000x more likely to die driving than dying from this virus...are you going to not drive too?

No, I will continue to drive unless driving someone has mutated to where it’s a communicable disease that I may pass to my elderly mother which increase her chances of dying. Does that type of driving exist?

The Louvre is overrated anyway. Now when they close Musee d’Orsay I’ll get ragey.
France has closed anything indoors with 5000+, so I'd imagine most of its large museums are closed. We shall see.

I fully expect Semana Santa 2020 to be cancelled, but I'm still in wait and see mode. Do not want to cancel prematurely and be out the $$$.

9 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

No, I will continue to drive unless driving someone has mutated to where it’s a communicable disease that I may pass to my elderly mother which increase her chances of dying. Does that type of driving exist?

I'm not trying to belittle your concern esp for you elderly mother.   But in general people do not understand risk.    So just for arguments sake.

Are going to stop your mom from coming into contact with other people who might have been exposed?  Or picking up one of a billion other viruses that people come into contact with daily?  My elderly mother comes into contact with tons of other retires and staff at her apartment daily.   Who knows if any of them have been exposed.   Riding on the community van to the store, old age, difficulty walking and falling are much more likely to kill her than me going on a vacation and being exposed.   No one stops going places in flu season why completely change your life for this specific virus?

Edited by midtown

France has closed anything indoors with 5000+, so I'd imagine most of its large museums are closed. We shall see.

I fully expect Semana Santa 2020 to be cancelled, but I'm still in wait and see mode. Do not want to cancel prematurely and be out the $$$.
So far it's just the Louvre and it's also because the fucking lazy French were looking for a reason not to work. Basically the staff said, "yeah we're not working". No other museum or monument closed. My mom says not to go, so we're leaning towards going now out of spite.

My wife's family decided a long while back to do a big Disney trip this April, despite the fact that we have no children ourselves and our nephew is only ~3 years old and will be far too young to remember a single thing about the trip.

I'm actively hoping for reports of CV in the Orlando area. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/2/2020 at 10:55 AM, Storm the Field said:

My wife's family decided a long while back to do a big Disney trip this April, despite the fact that we have no children ourselves and our nephew is only ~3 years old and will be far too young to remember a single thing about the trip.

On the other hand,  have a long-planned guys trip to NOLA next weekend. Unless the Big Easy gets put under 24/7 quarantine and all flights are grounded, I'm getting on that damn plane next Friday morning.

39 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

On the other hand,  have a long-planned guys trip to NOLA next weekend. Unless the Big Easy gets put under 24/7 quarantine and all flights are grounded, I'm getting on that damn plane next Friday morning.

The good news for NOLA is that all of the other diseases there won't even make room for the coronavirus. It'll have to stay out in Metarie or something.

On 3/2/2020 at 10:55 AM, Storm the Field said:

If there is ever a place where a pandemic would increase the IQ of the US by several points it would be Disney.  People in those rascals could never outrun a cough

On a positive note, my wife and I just got back from a two week trip to Taiwan and it was great.  We flew premium economy and the cabin was practically empty both ways.  We had an entire row to ourselves and the rows in front and behind us were completely empty.  The tourist attractions all had short lines and we got great deals on hotels.  The confusion by a lot of folks putting Taiwan in the same bucket as other Asian countries combined with the complete lack of Chinese tourists meant it was a great time to go.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Heard on the radio that several airlines will be putting on deals for tickets starting today to pump up flights over the next couple of months. 

Southwest and Alaskan both have West Coast to Hawaii for around $175 roundtrip.

I have a couple of Southwest flights booked a few months out. I'm keeping an eye out for the prices to crater and then I'll rebuy them for a lower price.

Edited by CooterBrown
  • Like 1

Travel within the U.S. is likely going to take an eventual hit just like travel overseas. The first case here in North Carolina was a Raleigh man who had visited the old folks home in Washington state that has had all those clustered cases. RDU is a dirty word in the Walden household at the moment; we ain't flyin' nowhere.

Sounds like there is a case in Fort Bend County, a 70 year old who recently travelled.  I mentioned last week that I was avoiding any travel to Sugar Land.  I thought that the first case would come from there or the Bellaire Blvd./Beltway 8 area.

tl;dr It’s here.

I had a 20 minute Online chat with easyjet on Monday regarding flight from Paris to Milan in May & they refused full refund or to waive change fees which would be 1/2 the cost of flights.  I asked for manager before I charge it back to CC & they disconnected chat. I’ll wait to see if they cancel it but will only be out $150 if they don’t.