Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

Brother just reached out asking advice; my 21 year old nephew is going to Florida for spring break.  Brother wants him to not go; but the urge to slay pussy and get hammered is too great.

I told him that he is going to do what he wants, but have him stay away from our parents for a month or so after he gets back.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Was pretty excited about taking my kids to Disney for the first time this May. Not sure it's going to happen now. I have until mid to late April to make a decision for a full refund I believe.

how? we purchased our fast pass shit...we can change dates but not sure about getting our money completely back 

how? we purchased our fast pass shit...we can change dates but not sure about getting our money completely back 
Bought through Undercover Tourist. Unless I'm reading it incorrectly they have a 90 day refund policy on park tickets and we purchased third week of January. I believe hotel reservations are fully refundable up until a week or so before the visit.

Or I'm an idiot and am getting nothing back. That actually sounds like my luck.
  • Like 1

I keep seeing the language of these airline policies written to entice people to buy tickets with ability to change, but providing no relief to the poor saps (me included) who responsibly bought tickets a few months ago for a trip in early May that I would gladly take a refund on if offered (Italy).

3 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I keep seeing the language of these airline policies written to entice people to buy tickets with ability to change, but providing no relief to the poor saps (me included) who responsibly bought tickets a few months ago for a trip in early May that I would gladly take a refund on if offered (Italy).

Gotta keep the numbers up for Q1. They already have your money and made no promises to give it back.  They have to get new money, and are having to make promises to do so.

8 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

This.  I had to cancel a flight in 2 weeks because the company event got shut down.  No refund... use the flight credit later...

Told my boss if we don't have another event, I'm using it to attend a road game of Tech football or the Astros in September/ October.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Our package says we can cancel 30 days out for a full refund and up to 2 days out and only pay a $200 cancellation. 

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

I just got back from traveling all week in Northeast US. I’m probably already dead 

If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!

Also, no offense bro, but I'm in northern Italy. They're literlly putting boxes in every other chair to keep people 1 meter apart. I think I win this one. 

Edited by Thetexashammer

On 3/7/2020 at 5:28 AM, Ghost of Shag said:

10th anniversary is this week. Supposed to take a four day cruise to Cozumel on RC. Still leaning toward going but monitoring the situation. RC is offering credit to anyone who cancels 48 hours before their departure.

There is a zero percent chance of me getting on a cruise ship right now.  Talk about a floating petri dish.

1 hour ago, Thetexashammer said:

If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!

Also, no offense bro, but I'm in northern Italy. They're literlly putting boxes in every other chair to keep people 1 meter apart. I think I win this one. 

Bad idea jeans commercial 

10 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

We fly 22nd.  I can purchase trip insurance up to 48 hours before departure ($132 for 4 people).  Will cover cancelled flights and inability to fly due to illness.  Thoughts on purchasing the insurance?

ORD -> SJO

Is this Costa Rica?

RE: Italy

1) a friend who was there yesterday wrote: “A lot of panicking, and official services really struggling to get their message across.”

2) College classmate of my brother’s lives in Lombardy and posted today that the hospitals don’t have near enough ventilators and decisions are having to be made. 

Italy is really a “developing country” that happens to be in Europe and has a shit high percentage of old people. This will be really bad for them, because they have a less-than-Germanic sense of restraint/ communication/ history of following instructions... 😥

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

There is a zero percent chance of me getting on a cruise ship right now.  Talk about a floating petri dish.

Yeah, we cancelled it.

I get y’all thinking i was nuts, but....

...it has been a decade since we got away without kids for more than two days, and frankly I just don’t think this virus is what the media makes it out to be.

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah, we cancelled it.

...it has been a decade since we got away without kids for more than two days, and frankly I just don’t think this virus is what the media makes it out to be.

You dodged getting away from your kids permanently. 

50 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah, we cancelled it.

that's because you're an idiot.

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Welp. My vacation in Italy has now been officially canceled

Same here.  We were set for France and Italy in April.   Canceling all now.  Will cost us some, but most is refundable or credits (airlines and hotels are generally either working with us or were able to get credits) — will rebook for after summer.

Not really worried about getting the virus — could get that anywhere.  I don’t want to get stranded/quarantined abroad.

Edited by AustinMT

6 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Same here.  We were set for France and Italy in April.   Canceling all now.  Will cost us some, but most is refundable or credits (airlines and hotels are generally either working with us or were able to get credits) — will rebook for after summer.

Not really worried about getting the virus — could get that anywhere.  I don’t want to get stranded/quarantined abroad.

I agree.   However, for my situation, the driver of my cancellation is a bit different.

I've got a friend whom I worked with here in San Diego.  He lived a few miles from me.  About 15 years ago, he and his wife bought a place in Italy and retired there.  I visited him a couple of years ago.  He was planning a vacation of his own, and asked me to come stay at his house while he was gone...use it as a home base, and feed his cats every few days.  I was getting the use of his home and his car for free.   With the lockdown, his vacation plans were cancelled, so I cancelled mine as well. 

11 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I agree.   However, for my situation, the driver of my cancellation is a bit different.

I've got a friend whom I worked with here in San Diego.  He lived a few miles from me.  About 15 years ago, he and his wife bought a place in Italy and retired there.  I visited him a couple of years ago.  He was planning a vacation of his own, and asked me to come stay at his house while he was gone...use it as a home base, and feed his cats every few days.  I was getting the use of his home and his car for free.   With the lockdown, his vacation plans were cancelled, so I cancelled mine as well. 

Ouch.  

ouch indeed.  My big concern is for him. He's an older dude, and not in great health.  His wife is a bit younger, and she can still fly back to San Diego. He can't handle a long flight anymore, so his daughter comes to Italy twice a year to visit him. 

I'm flexible, and so is the GF.  If this shit blows over in August, we are good to go there then. 

And no humblebrag intended, but I can afford to pay for a vacation. 

But yeah, getting his place for a couple of weeks gratis sounded pretty cool.  His place overlooks Lago Trasimeno.  It's fucking beautiful.  We had been there for 9 days or so previously.   We had already planned several day trips and overnight trips.