Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

12 hours ago, b_p said:

On my way to London tonight. The flight is less than 30% full. I expect a lot more capacity cuts as this continues and it probably won’t rebound quickly. It’s amazing how much of an impact the media has caused due to over-sensationalized flu. However, it is nice to travel now that everything is so quiet. 

10 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Saying this as a life-long Republican.  Trump is a f****** idiot who is just trying to make press.  This makes no medical sense — it’s already here.

As noted above, had a trip planned to France and Italy mid April-early May. Canceled all 2 days ago, and everything refunded or credits given.  Waiting on a couple, but out at most about $500, though I expect that to go down. Glad I already did it to save me time on the phone now

Did I mention Trump is a moron?

Wow!  Two of the single dumbest posts in the history of Surly...both on the same page.  Gotta be some kinda' record.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Wow!  Two of the single dumbest posts in the history of Surly...both on the same page.  Gotta be some kinda' record.

Really? So locking the borders to Europeans (when it’s already here) yet allowing US citizens to fly over and come back from the same exposed areas makes medical sense? And the UK is randomly excluded from the ban? Please elaborate

Edited by AustinMT

12 hours ago, b_p said:

On my way to London tonight. The flight is less than 30% full. I expect a lot more capacity cuts as this continues and it probably won’t rebound quickly. It’s amazing how much of an impact the media has caused due to over-sensationalized flu. However, it is nice to travel now that everything is so quiet. 

Regardless of political affiliation, can we all agree this guy’s genes shouldn’t be in the pool?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Regardless of political affiliation, can we all agree this guy’s genes shouldn’t be in the pool?

Whether or not you want to believe it, it’s the flu.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Really? So locking the borders to Europeans (when it’s already here) yet allowing US citizens to fly over and come back from the same exposed areas makes medical sense? And the UK is randomly excluded from the ban? Please elaborate

You can't possibly be this stupid.  Basic math...limiting the number of exposures will help to some degree.  Want to argue about how much of an impact it will have, if it's enough or too much?  Fine.  But to say it makes "NO medical sense because it's already here" is just fucking moronic.

I fly to Sydney on Saturday. Hoping for my own row. 

Interested in hearing how this goes. Have a trip to Melbourne on the 21st. Haven’t cancelled yet but looking increasingly likely.

It’s not even Australia that concerns me, it’s leaving my wife and kid to go a place that is not a simple plane ride back if one or both of them should fall ill. And honestly by then, visitors from the US might not be quite so welcome to the Australians.

8 minutes ago, naija said:

Interested in hearing how this goes. Have a trip to Melbourne on the 21st. Haven’t cancelled yet but looking increasingly likely.

It’s not even Australia that concerns me, it’s leaving my wife and kid to go a place that is not a simple plane ride back if one or both of them should fall ill. And honestly by then, visitors from the US might not be quite so welcome to the Australians.

Same reservations I’m having. 

Just got this email from Southwest...anything to sell tickets...

We know getting more time with the people most important to you is everything. That's why we're spreading the love of one of our most-coveted A-List and A-List Preferred perks. Starting March 12, anyone on a reservation with an A-List or A-List Preferred Member can board when they do.* That means everyone on the same reservation gets to board together and pick their seat earlier.

Because we can all agree the more time you get with your people, the better.

Thanks for being a Rapid Rewards® Member. We love that you're here and can't wait to fly with you soon.

I have a week in Cancun booked for June, but checked last night and noticed the room had dropped a few hundred over the course of my stay. In a situation like this would they change it if I called and haggled/asked, or so i just need to cancel and remake the reservation?

Edited by Etexhorn13

14 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I mean, it's an entirely different virus, but don't let that stop you.

That shit these people are saying is even dumber than the "this is just like SARS" people. At least SARS is a type of coronavirus even if it's completely different in that it isn't contagious until a day or two after you show symptoms. If it was as contagious as this one we would have gone through an even worse version of this 17 years ago. 

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Leaving the country right now is a horrible idea unless you’re ok with getting stuck wherever you you are traveling to.

And ok with getting sick and playing that game of virus Russian Roulette where you take the 1 in 6 chance you won't need medical attention in a foreign country. 

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Just got this email from Southwest...anything to sell tickets...

We know getting more time with the people most important to you is everything. That's why we're spreading the love of one of our most-coveted A-List and A-List Preferred perks. Starting March 12, anyone on a reservation with an A-List or A-List Preferred Member can board when they do.* That means everyone on the same reservation gets to board together and pick their seat earlier.

Because we can all agree the more time you get with your people, the better.

Thanks for being a Rapid Rewards® Member. We love that you're here and can't wait to fly with you soon.

They should go back to giving out a free bottle of booze on the tarmac like they did when in the price war with Braniff.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

You can't possibly be this stupid.  Basic math...limiting the number of exposures will help to some degree.  Want to argue about how much of an impact it will have, if it's enough or too much?  Fine.  But to say it makes "NO medical sense because it's already here" is just fucking moronic.

Do you actually have a degree?  

It makes no medical sense when you ban countries with far less Covid-19 cases than the country you didn’t ban.

Coughing Moose out front shoulda told ya.....

Flew back and forth to DAL the last 24 hrs. Almost all of my work travel is in-state. I think I’ll drive from now on till this cools down.

I did get to sit on a row with a really cute nurse in her scrubs, I shared my alcohol wipes with her and she shared her zinc lozenges with me. So that was nice.

Worst. Penthouse. Letter. Ever.

I just received this from Hilton.  Looks like a solid policy.

Hilton Honors Members,

In these uncertain times, I wanted to reach out to you personally about what we are doing here at Hilton to support you and your travel plans. As the situation around novel coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to evolve, we are doing everything we can to ensure your travel safety and provide maximum flexibility.

Your Travel Safety

As it has always been, the safety and security of our guests and team members remains our highest priority. We take great pride in maintaining the highest standards of cleanliness and hygiene. In response to the coronavirus, we have taken additional measures developed in consultation with global and local public health authorities (including the WHO and CDC) to make our cleaning and hygiene protocols even more rigorous:
  • Our hotel teams are receiving ongoing briefings and enhanced operating protocols.
  • We have increased the frequency of cleaning our public areas (including lobbies, elevators, door handles, public bathrooms, etc.) and have continued the use of hospital-grade disinfectant.
  • We will continue to adjust food and beverage service in accordance with current food safety recommendations.
  • We have increased the deployment of antibacterial hand sanitizers.
We have activated our regional and global response teams to provide around-the-clock assistance to our hotels and are prepared to act swiftly should we be alerted to a case of coronavirus at one of our properties.

Your Travel Flexibility

We remain committed to offering you flexible booking options. Given these unique circumstances we are making additional adjustments to our individual booking policies to give you extra peace of mind:
  • Government Restrictions. In regions affected by government-issued travel restrictions, we will continue to waive change fees or offer full refunds. Please click here for the latest information on our travel waivers.
  • Existing Reservations. All reservations – even those described as "non-cancellable" (“Advanced Purchase”) – that are scheduled for arrival before April 30, 2020, can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.
  • New Reservations. Any reservation you make – even those described as “non-cancellable” (“Advanced Purchase”) – that are booked between today and April 30, 2020, for any future arrival date, can be changed or cancelled at no charge up to 24 hours before your scheduled arrival.
If you need to adjust reservations made via the Hilton website, app or call center, please contact the Hilton Guest Assistance team. If you need to adjust reservations made through another travel site, please contact them for assistance.

Your Points and Status

We know that earning Hilton Honors Points and Status is an important way we show appreciation. We also know the current travel environment may limit your ability to stay with us.
  • We will pause the expiration of all points scheduled to expire between now and May 31, 2020.
  • We will make updates to the requirements for earning tier status for 2021. Since the situation is still evolving, it is too early to make and announce specific changes. We are committed to sharing details as soon as possible.
At Hilton, we believe it is in challenging times like these that the power of hospitality is needed most of all. Whether you are traveling now or in the future, our team members are ready to welcome you with the Hilton hospitality you’ve come to expect.

Chris Nassetta
President & CEO, Hilton

Just landed in Newark. CDG was like the fall of Saigon this morning. Wife woke me up at 3am yelling trump closed the border. Every other American on the continent seemed to have the same thought and a wide open flight went to full. Actually had to sit in Premium Plus with the part time poors. I didn't have the virus before but probably caught it at the airport. Packed in like Ray Dog's girlfriend's neighborhood.

• Like 3

On 3/11/2020 at 8:23 AM, smuggs said:

I'm going to see KISS at the Cajun Dome in Lafayette on Saturday night. I'm hoping what with all of the other usual viruses that are congregating at a KISS concert at the Cajun Dome in Lafayette, that there physically won't be any room for the corona virus to loiter about. Pray for me.

Show is now postponed. I will have to wait until October 6th to Lick it Up.