Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

cancelled my flight to ATL tomorrow and our week at our cabin in NC.  Just too many things going on - not sure if son's college will shut down. Will take that week this summer when it's as hot at the surface of the sun in Houston.

Delta support overloaded right now.  Cancelled my flight and they charged me a ridiculous cancellation fee when their website clearly states all flights that are cancelled will be given a full credit for a future flight.  Apparently you have to call customer service.  The wait to speak a customer service agent is 4 hours.

Edited by MAROON

1 hour ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Fuck Turkish Airlines. They're lying out of their ass and have been giving me the runaround the past 2 days. Now I am told that I can't even use the value of my ticket if I don't go on the trip. 

Bang on them on social media.  It often works.

3 hours ago, DaysOff said:

Just landed in Newark. CDG was like the fall of Saigon this morning. Wife woke me up at 3am yelling trump closed the border. Every other American on the continent seemed to have the same thought and a wide open flight went to full. Actually had to sit in Premium Plus with the part time poors. I didn't have the virus before but probably caught it at the airport. Packed in like Ray Dog's girlfriend's neighborhood.

Same happened to me although I was in London.  Wife called around 1am and said change your flight.  We knew the UK wasn’t in the mix but I wanted to get home before there was a change of heart.  I changed my flight at 1:30am and business was half full.  Now the whole flight was on standby.  We’re about to land, and I can’t wait to get off this bird.

ea

Edited by Doug E. Fresh
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

Our family goes to Maui every year for Spring Break (timeshare suckers) at the end of March. Hawaii seems to be weathering this well, so no plans to cancel unless LAX or UAL shut us down.  If things really go haywire then we'll stay home.

1 minute ago, Mach 1 said:

Our family goes to Maui every year for Spring Break (timeshare suckers) at the end of March. Hawaii seems to be weathering this well, so no plans to cancel unless LAX or UAL shut us down.  If things really go haywire then we'll stay home.

Daughter and son-on-law live on Oahu.  No major issues, other than the same type of hoarding we are seeing here.  

10 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Daughter and son-on-law live on Oahu.  No major issues, other than the same type of hoarding we are seeing here.  

Yeah, only hesitancy is there are probably a lot of people around the world thinking the same thing and saying "Our Hawaii trip is on!"  Then the 8 or 9 day symptomatic period kicks in while they're there, they get tested, and boom, it's on.

I just don't know enough about this fucking thing to make a final decision yet.  We're all healthy with no underlying conditions, so I'm leaning toward just being smart about hygiene/travel/personal distance and going.  But if this thing gets nastier we'll pull the plug.

13 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Yeah, only hesitancy is there are probably a lot of people around the world thinking the same thing and saying "Our Hawaii trip is on!"  Then the 8 or 9 day symptomatic period kicks in while they're there, they get tested, and boom, it's on.

I just don't know enough about this fucking thing to make a final decision yet.  We're all healthy with no underlying conditions, so I'm leaning toward just being smart about hygiene/travel/personal distance and going.  But if this thing gets nastier we'll pull the plug.

And then someone sneezes near you. 

48 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Cancelled Spain today.

We were supposed to go for Christmas.  Pretty much straight up in limbo now...

That being said, we're going to Missouri tomorrow.  I hope we make it through Oklahoma 2X's with all of our faculties intact.

Guarantee Hawaii is not safe. With all the spring break visitors they get, it's coming, or likely already there.

1 hour ago, 4th&Five said:

My experience with AA was surprisingly painless. Gave me vouchers for everything without any change fees if we use it by the end of the year. 

Was going on American too. Why not vouchers that don't expire? I'm thinking the best I'm gonna get is credits and not a refund, but I sure as hell hope there won't be an expiration date on them

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Park City on the 27th.... kind of on a wait and see plan right now.

I’ve had 6 flight segments through 5 airports in the past month, including last weekend.  I canceled our trip to Italy and France set for mid-April to early May because Italy shut down, and France is a mess.  Didn’t cancel due to fear of getting the virus — I could get that by going to H-E-B (when it’s open).  Canceled because of things being locked down (were going to be in Milan and Venice, along with Florence) and fear of travel restrictions.  

Not going to live in a bubble for domestic travel.

Park City is beautiful. Go enjoy it

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Read more  

Guarantee Hawaii is not safe. With all the spring break visitors they get, it's coming, or likely already there.

Alaska just confirmed their first. There’s no hiding from it 

Just today canceled our spring break to California that was to start tomorrow morning to include 3 nights at a beach house in Malibu plus a couple of other days down south including a day at Disneyland (canceled prior to the official Disneyland closure). Got everything refunded including a full refund of the previously booked house rental (which refund was in doubt but I was pretty persuasive).

f488ede626142c9560f9ef91160bc3bb.jpg

Have friend here from NC.  Went to local bar for HH & it was nuts. No one on NW HWY though so lots of attention here.  I’m texting so they’ll go away but no.  I’m in a relationship & I don’t way to be within 6 ft of a human but hvvgg hhhhc gh

4 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Not to mention 10 hours on a virus tube with a couple hundred potential carriers.

Hard pass.

And I don't think I'm even personally that afraid of getting it.  My parents are gone, but my inlaws are in the danger zone and I need to be available for them.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I have a friend who was going to take his college freshman son down to Buenos Aires for a day before going dove hunting in Córdoba the following day.

They were supposed to leave on a plane out of DFW today, Friday, but yesterday I saw an article that 

Argentina, Colombia, Peru to isolate travelers from virus-hit nations

69c80156bc701305d8e7f46e33db55a31bd95846

Argentina's President Alberto Fernandez (R) and Health Minister Gines Garcia at a cabinet meeting on tackling the coronavirus outbreak (AFP Photo/ESTEBAN COLLAZO)

Buenos Aires (AFP) - Argentina, Colombia and Peru on Wednesday announced that travelers from the countries worst-affected by the new coronavirus would be isolated on arrival.

Argentina was the first country in Latin America to register a coronavirus-related death on Saturday, with Panama announcing another on Tuesday.

Buenos Aires announced a two-week isolation period for people arriving from China, Italy, France, Germany, Spain, Japan, South Korea and the United States.

"This is not voluntary, it's not a recommendation. If you don't comply you'll be committing a crime, which is putting the public health at risk," President Alberto Fernandez told FM Delta radio station...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/argentina-colombia-peru-isolate-travelers-virus-hit-nations-155304344.html

So he canceled his hunting trip, that they had been booked several months in advance and had started planning who knows when. I spent plenty of time prepping various itineraries for that one day in Buenos Aires, depending on their energy and interest in seeing things, and made some maps and.... nuthin'.

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Not to mention 10 hours on a virus tube with a couple hundred potential carriers.

Hard pass.

And I don't think I'm even personally that afraid of getting it.  My parents are gone, but my inlaws are in the danger zone and I need to be available for them.

Yeah, my parents are 76 and 80.  My wife's parents are 80 and 83.  Three of them are in good health for their age, the fourth is my mother who smoked for 50 years and has many of the respiratory issues you'd expect, because of it.  I worry for them.  They're supposed to visit for a couple days with my kids next week during spring break, I'm going to have to tell them "no" and they're not going to get it.  They're still in the "just another flu" camp.

But it's for their own good.  It's funny how the kids become the responsible ones eventually.  I hope I'm less of a pain in the ass for my own kids someday, but I'm certain I'll be just as bad, or worse.

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Park City on the 27th.... kind of on a wait and see plan right now.

9 hours ago, AustinMT said:

Not going to live in a bubble for domestic travel.

Park City is beautiful. Go enjoy it

@Onboard 2.0 you may not want to take Coronavirus advice from a guy who thinks limiting travel "makes no medical sense"...just FYI.

1 hour ago, utee94 said:

Yeah, my parents are 76 and 80.  My wife's parents are 80 and 83.  Three of them are in good health for their age, the fourth is my mother who smoked for 50 years and has many of the respiratory issues you'd expect, because of it.  I worry for them.  They're supposed to visit for a couple days with my kids next week during spring break, I'm going to have to tell them "no" and they're not going to get it.  They're still in the "just another flu" camp.

But it's for their own good.  It's funny how the kids become the responsible ones eventually.  I hope I'm less of a pain in the ass for my own kids someday, but I'm certain I'll be just as bad, or worse.

Yeah, just had to have the same talk with my parents.  Mine were pretty receptive and level-headed about it.  They seemed to understand that when it's unnecessary travel, which going to see the grandkids is,  there's no need to take the risk.

34 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

@Onboard 2.0 you may not want to take Coronavirus advice from a guy who thinks limiting travel "makes no medical sense"...just FYI.

HEHEHEH  yeah, it's a prudent move depending on the circumstances for sure. This is uncharted territory stuff here. I've never seen it in my life time

Right now we're still in go mode.  If the airlines start ramping up cancellations or Park city restaurants or Park City ski resort start shattering doors, we'll re evaluate. 

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

HEHEHEH  yeah, it's a prudent move depending on the circumstances for sure. This is uncharted territory stuff here. I've never seen it in my life time

Right now we're still in go mode.  If the airlines start ramping up cancellations or Park city restaurants or Park City ski resort start shattering doors, we'll re evaluate. 

Aspen (not park city I know) just declared a state of emergency and has seen a bunch of positive cases just in the last few days.

3 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Aspen (not park city I know) just declared a state of emergency and has seen a bunch of positive cases just in the last few days.

That doesn't surprise me with such a far flung set of people who visit there. We have friends who came back form there yesterday (not gonna hang with them for a while... just sayin').  I can't say I'm optimistic about the trip right now, but still have the skis packed and ready to fly.

10 hours ago, naija said:

Was going on American too. Why not vouchers that don't expire? I'm thinking the best I'm gonna get is credits and not a refund, but I sure as hell hope there won't be an expiration date on them

They’re until the end of the year at full value and then we’d have to pay the change fee. Two days out so I took what I could get. 

Edited by 4th&Five

So cancelled the Spring Break trip with the family to SF/Bay Area.

United was very easy to do online. We changed the trip to the Fall and actually got a $500 voucher as the flight dates were cheaper.

Hotel Reservation was a much different story. They would not budge, as I booked months ago a room with a no cancellation rate . Attempted to negotiate that we move the dates to the same as our rescheduled flight, and still no go.

I get it, they are going to be losing tons of tourism dollars in the next months, but it still irked me that they wouldn't budge.

On 3/12/2020 at 8:37 AM, After irth said:

Hospital preparation. That’s a joke. Hospitals don’t just flip a switch and magically conjure extra people, supplies, resources, and knowledge. 

yes and no. In NYC they are asked Hospitals and Patients to defer all elective procedures to free up resources. Elevating some medical students (MD's and RN) to active status along with those who has exited the workforce to take up the sack on some duties (once a Phlebotomist always a Phlebotomist ). It's not impossible or black and white. lots of ins, lot of outs, lots or what have you's. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gyroprotagonist said:

we are wheels up tomorrow for Keystone via SWA.  debating whether to drive instead.  or maybe just effing cancel.

I am sure all of Texas will be on the plane tomorrow.

Is there any chatter of the mountains/resorts closing?

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/colorado/articles/2020-03-11/university-of-colorado-going-online-amid-coronavirus-threat

Community spread at the resorts confirmed. 

9 minutes ago, next2naus said:

yes and no. In NYC they are asked Hospitals and Patients to defer all elective procedures to free up resources. Elevating some medical students (MD's and RN) to active status along with those who has exited the workforce to take up the sack on some duties (once a Phlebotomist always a Phlebotomist ). It's not impossible or black and white. lots of ins, lot of outs, lots or what have you's. 

NYC hospital staffing procedures and, oh...let’s say, rural Texas hospital staffing procedures are just a bit different.