Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

HEHEHEH  yeah, it's a prudent move depending on the circumstances for sure. This is uncharted territory stuff here. I've never seen it in my life time
Right now we're still in go mode.  If the airlines start ramping up cancellations or Park city restaurants or Park City ski resort start shattering doors, we'll re evaluate. 
You do know the ski resorts have been hotspots of virus in CO, right? I assume the same holds in Utah because of all the visitors. In CO, we are being told to stay away from the resorts by the state.

Went to matinee yesterday on broadway. Sold out.  During intermission was informed broadway closing at 5.  Went to dinner on 48th and was a good crowd.  Waitstaff very grateful for all customers that came.  Went for drinks at a bar on Central Park south and it was semi busy.  
jfk is quiet.  Breezed thru security and getting on a plane back. 

8 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

Went to matinee yesterday on broadway. Sold out.  During intermission was informed broadway closing at 5.  Went to dinner on 48th and was a good crowd.  Waitstaff very grateful for all customers that came.  Went for drinks at a bar on Central Park south and it was semi busy.  
jfk is quiet.  Breezed thru security and getting on a plane back. 

This is important.

Don't be afraid to pick up food from your local joints.  They'll appreciate the business.  Tip as if you're dining in.  They need it, as they are some of the first to be impacted by social distancing. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:
HEHEHEH  yeah, it's a prudent move depending on the circumstances for sure. This is uncharted territory stuff here. I've never seen it in my life time
Right now we're still in go mode.  If the airlines start ramping up cancellations or Park city restaurants or Park City ski resort start shattering doors, we'll re evaluate. 

You do know the ski resorts have been hotspots of virus in CO, right? I assume the same holds in Utah because of all the visitors. In CO, we are being told to stay away from the resorts by the state.

Yep, I mentioned that in an upstream post.  Like I said we're in a wait and see, but want to go mode for the present.  

31 minutes ago, Js1 said:

This is important.

Don't be afraid to pick up food from your local joints.  They'll appreciate the business.  Tip as if you're dining in.  They need it, as they are some of the first to be impacted by social distancing. 

Better yet, buy a gift card or gift certificate from some of your favorites to help them bridge the gap during this time.  You can still use it down the road (if they manage to weather this) and it gives them some likely much needed cash in the short term.

• Like 3

I feel for the food service people - especially waiters.  I was waiting tables while putting my wife through grad school when 9/11 happened.  That was only about 2 weeks of a disruption. As an "opener" and "closer" + corporate trainer, I wasn't affected as much as most, but I still recall having issues with income flow at the time.

Edited by Knoxtnhorn

Better yet, buy a gift card or gift certificate from some of your favorites to help them bridge the gap during this time.  You can still use it down the road (if they manage to weather this) and it gives them some likely much needed cash in the short term.

What if they don’t make it? Then the gift card becomes worthless.
  • Like 1

I have a family trip (wife, 2 kids, and my parents) to Paris, Normandy, and London scheduled for end of May/early June. Flights and rooms were booked months ago. My parents are 77 and 83 and have never been to another continent. They have been super-excited for this trip. Contemplating when the go/no-go call needs to get made. 

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep, I mentioned that in an upstream post.  Like I said we're in a wait and see, but want to go mode for the present.  

Anyone who is even considering vacation travel at this point is just going to help spread this fucker.  Just don't do it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

I have a family trip (wife, 2 kids, and my parents) to Paris, Normandy, and London scheduled for end of May/early June. Flights and rooms were booked months ago. My parents are 77 and 83 and have never been to another continent. They have been super-excited for this trip. Contemplating when the go/no-go call needs to get made. 

It aint happening. 

40 minutes ago, HornPhD said:

Wait until a week before. If you ain't getting your money back now, but you may be able to recoup something at a later date.

bought a ticket in January through chase ultimate rewards for a spring break trip. they have been a fucking pain in the ass to reach

multiple calls waiting multiple hours only to be dropped. once or twice i reached an agent who said he was having technical issues and would have to restart computer and call me back.

no callback. god dammit

2 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

Wait until a week before. If you ain't getting your money back now, but you may be able to recoup something at a later date.

We were set to leave for France and Italy 4/15.  Started canceling everything on Monday.  We have been able to get refunds or credit (mainly the flights for credit) on virtually everything.  We plan to rebook for October (assuming it will be OK?) and, if that works, will be out under $200.  

23 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

NCL advertising the fuck out of discount spring break cruises.  Fuck you NCL.

lol, they just announced cancellations. So that's:

• Carnival Princess
  • Viking
  • NCL
  • Royal Caribean

This is a great start

Global Cruise Business Comes to a Halt

Coronavirus prompts Norwegian, Royal Caribbean to suspend U.S. sailings

https://www.wsj.com/articles/norwegian-more-cruise-lines-cancel-sailings-11584129755

Edited by rage-a-holic

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

BA was great.  Have a credit for the next year.  

AirBnB, automatically refunded it all.  

Relatively painless.  

Good to hear.  I have to deal with AirBnB, BA, Delta, Iberia and AeroMexico next week to claw back miles and get refunds.  Hilton was simple today.  Here's your points back sir!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

Good to hear.  I have to deal with AirBnB, BA, Delta, Iberia and AeroMexico next week to claw back miles and get refunds.  Hilton was simple today.  Here's your points back sir!

AeroMexico is flat out refusing to refund my March-April tickets. 900 pesos to change to a future flight or eat shit.

6 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

What if they don’t make it? Then the gift card becomes worthless.

Tax write-off? 

We have tix with SWA for a trip to San Antonio late April to visit first grandbaby but making contingency plans to drive if still a clusterfuck.  We'd have to extend our vacation another week and keep our cats boarded another week also, which would suck. 

30 minutes ago, rage-a-holic said:

AeroMexico is flat out refusing to refund my March-April tickets. 900 pesos to change to a future flight or eat shit.

It’s less than $50 but I feel your pain. I’ll probably get hit with the same to get my 300000 miles back. 

Just cancelled my trip to Prague at the end of April for my wife and I.  Now I have a $5K credit on American Airlines that has to be used by December 31st and nowhere I want to travel anytime soon.  Also, they won’t let me spread the credit around and buy a ticket for my kid as each ticket refund only can be used on the person who was on the ticket.

28 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Just cancelled my trip to Prague at the end of April for my wife and I.  Now I have a $5K credit on American Airlines that has to be used by December 31st and nowhere I want to travel anytime soon.  Also, they won’t let me spread the credit around and buy a ticket for my kid as each ticket refund only can be used on the person who was on the ticket.

Prague in September?

2 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Way to advertise when someone kills you and assumes your identity 

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Anyone who is even considering vacation travel at this point is just going to help spread this fucker.  Just don't do it.

Yeah, I mean, I’m about the least conspiracy theory, sky is falling, apocalypse person on earth.  But if anyone is non-essentially traveling right now, you’re a selfish piece of shit.  And fuck you for doing this to the rest of us.  Seriously...get a fucking grip.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, I mean, I’m about the least conspiracy theory, sky is falling, apocalypse person on earth.  But if anyone is non-essentially traveling right now, you’re a selfish piece of shit.  And fuck you for doing this to the rest of us.  Seriously...get a fucking grip.

Yeah I can get round trip flight next friday thru monday to Vegas from SAT for $37. Caesars Rewards will comp all three nights at several of their hotels. But I can't morally do it. Flights to Hawaii from SAT are down to $310 RT in April and May. They are just teasing us now.

16 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Aspen (not park city I know) just declared a state of emergency and has seen a bunch of positive cases just in the last few days.

16 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That doesn't surprise me with such a far flung set of people who visit there. We have friends who came back form there yesterday (not gonna hang with them for a while... just sayin').  I can't say I'm optimistic about the trip right now, but still have the skis packed and ready to fly.

The Aspen group was a bunch of Aussies that got together and I think that one of them came over from Australia with the virus and gave it to everyone in the group. One of their group is back in Australia, but everyone else has tested positive and is in isolation.

From lift lines to lifts to bathrooms to pushing up to bars to get drinks to getting water from the igloo thermoses out on the warming hut decks to sharing picnic benches on those decks to shuttles to and from the base of the mountain to....

NO FUCKING WAY should anyone be going to a ski resort right now.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Get over yourself and put on your tinfoil hat.  By the way, what is “non-essentially traveling?”   Seal yourself in your house with duct tape and leave us alone, you “piece of shit.”

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

Get over yourself and put on your tinfoil hat.  By the way, what is “non-essentially traveling?”   Seal yourself in your house with duct tape and leave us alone, you “piece of shit.”

This is for any dumb ass who thinks any traveling that isn't life or death can still be seen as "essential".

This was posted by a doctor I know from high school, Princeton University (undergrad), Harvard Medical School, residency with Columbia in NYC, and now works at Massachusetts General Hospital. So she doesn't do Longhorn fansites, but she absolutely is a shit ton more qualified to preach and repost medical shit than almost anyone with a Surly account.

Social Distancing: This is Not a Snow Day

Follow
Mar 13 · 7 min read

Originally published by Ariadne Labs on March 13, 2020

By Asaf Bitton, MD, MPH

Iknow there is some confusion about what to do next in the midst of this unprecedented time of a pandemic, school closures, and widespread social disruption. As a primary care physician and public health leader, I have been asked by a lot of people for my opinion, and I will provide it below based on the best information available to me today. These are my personal views, and my take on the necessary steps ahead.

What I can clearly say is that what we do, or don’t do, over the next week will have a massive impact on the local and perhaps national trajectory of coronavirus. We are only about 11 days behind Italy and generally on track to repeat what is unfortunately happening there and throughout much of the rest of Europe very soon.

At this point, containment through contact tracing and increased testing is only part of the necessary strategy. We must move to pandemic mitigation through widespread, uncomfortable, and comprehensive social distancing. That means not only shutting down schools, work (as much as possible), group gatherings, and public events, but also making daily choices to stay away from each other as much as possible to Flatten The Curve below.

Our health system will not be able to cope with the projected numbers of people who will need acute care should we not muster the fortitude and will to socially distance each other starting now. On a regular day, we have about 45,000 staffed ICU beds nationally, which can be ramped up in a crisis to about 95,000. Even moderate projections suggest that if current infectious trends hold, our capacity (locally and nationally) may be overwhelmed as early as mid-late April. Thus, the only set of strategies that can get us off this concerning trajectory are those that enable us to work together as a community to maintain public health by staying apart.

The wisdom, and necessity, of this more aggressive, early, and extreme form of social distancing can be found here. I would urge you to take a minute to walk through the interactive graphs — they will drive home the point about what we need to do now to avoid a worse crisis later. Historical lessons and experiences of countries worldwide have shown us that taking these actions early can have a dramatic impact on the magnitude of the outbreak. So what does this enhanced form of social distancing mean on a daily basis, when schools are cancelled?

Here are some steps you can start taking now to keep your family safe and do your part to avoid a worsening crisis:

1. We need to push our local, state, and national leaders to close ALL schools and public spaces and cancel all events and public gatherings now.

A local, town by town response won’t have the adequate needed effect. We need a statewide, nationwide approach in these trying times. Contact your representative and your governor to urge them to enact statewide closures. As of today, six states have already done so. Your state should be one of them. Also urge leaders to increase funds for emergency preparedness and make widening coronavirus testing capacity an immediate and top priority. We also need legislators to enact better paid sick leave and unemployment benefits to help nudge people to make the right call to stay at home right now.

2. No kid playdates, parties, sleepovers, or families/friends visiting each other’s houses and apartments.

This sounds extreme because it is. We are trying to create distance between family units and between individuals. It may be particularly uncomfortable for families with small children, kids with differential abilities or challenges, and for kids who simply love to play with their friends. But even if you choose only one friend to have over, you are creating new links and possibilities for the type of transmission that all of our school/work/public event closures are trying to prevent. The symptoms of coronavirus take four to five days to manifest themselves. Someone who comes over looking well can transmit the virus. Sharing food is particularly risky — I definitely do not recommend that people do so outside of their family.

We have already taken extreme social measures to address this serious disease — let’s not actively co-opt our efforts by having high levels of social interaction at people’s houses instead of at schools or workplaces. Again — the wisdom of early and aggressive social distancing is that it can flatten the curve above, give our health system a chance to not be overwhelmed, and eventually may reduce the length and need for longer periods of extreme social distancing later (see what has transpired in Italy and Wuhan). We need to all do our part during these times, even if it means some discomfort for a while.

3. Take care of yourself and your family, but maintain social distance.

Exercise, take walks/runs outside, and stay connected through phone, video, and other social media. But when you go outside, do your best to maintain at least six feet between you and non-family members. If you have kids, try not to use public facilities like playground structures, as coronavirus can live on plastic and metal for up to nine days, and these structures aren’t getting regularly cleaned.

Going outside will be important during these strange times, and the weather is improving. Go outside every day if you are able, but stay physically away from people outside your family or roommates. If you have kids, try playing a family soccer game instead of having your kids play with other kids, since sports often mean direct physical contact with others. And though we may wish to visit elders in our community in person, I would not visit nursing homes or other areas where large numbers of the elderly reside, as they are at highest risk for complications and mortality from coronavirus.

Social distancing can take a toll (after all, most of us are social creatures). The CDC offers tips and resources to reduce this burden, and other resources offer strategies to cope with the added stress during this time.

We need to find alternate ways to reduce social isolation within our communities through virtual means instead of in-person visits.

4. Reduce the frequency of going to stores, restaurants, and coffee shops for the time being.

Of course trips to the grocery store will be necessary, but try to limit them and go at times when they are less busy. Consider asking grocery stores to queue people at the door in order to limit the number of people inside a store at any one time. Remember to wash your hands thoroughly before and after your trip. And leave the medical masks and gloves for the medical professionals — we need them to care for those who are sick. Maintain distance from others while shopping — and remember that hoarding supplies negatively impacts others so buy what you need and leave some for everyone else. Take-out meals and food are riskier than making food at home given the links between the people who prepare food, transport the food, and you. It is hard to know how much that risk is, but it is certainly higher than making it at home. But you can and should continue to support your local small businesses (especially restaurants and other retailers) during this difficult time by buying gift certificates online that you can use later.

5. If you are sick, isolate yourself, stay home, and contact a medical professional.

If you are sick, you should try to isolate yourself from the rest of your family within your residence as best as you can. If you have questions about whether you qualify or should get a coronavirus test, you can call your primary care team and/or consider calling the Massachusetts Department of Public Health at 617.983.6800 (or your state’s department of health if you are outside of Massachusetts). Don’t just walk into an ambulatory clinic — call first so that they can give you the best advice — which might be to go to a drive-through testing center or a virtual visit on video or phone. Of course, if it is an emergency call 911.

I realize there is a lot built into these suggestions, and that they represent a real burden for many individuals, families, businesses, and communities. Social distancing is hard and may negatively impact many people, especially those who face vulnerabilities in our society. I recognize that there is structural and social inequity built in and around social distancing recommendations. We can and must take steps to bolster our community response to people who face food insecurity, domestic violence, and housing challenges, along with the many other social disadvantages.

I also realize that not everyone can do everything. But we have to try our absolute best as a community, starting today. Enhancing social distancing, even by one day, can make a large difference.

1*xRU-GFbiVeVpnk2ssyQEDQ.png

We have a preemptive opportunity to save lives through the actions we take right now that we will not have in a few weeks. It is a public health imperative. It is also our responsibility as a community to act while we still have a choice and while our actions can have the greatest impact.

We cannot wait.

1*_7aR_ESGHkhpBb_nSVd1Eg.png?q=20
1*_7aR_ESGHkhpBb_nSVd1Eg.png

Asaf Bitton, MD, MPH, is the executive director of Ariadne Labsin Boston, MA.

https://medium.com/@ariadnelabs/social-distancing-this-is-not-a-snow-day-ac21d7fa78b4

Edited by Napoleon
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

This is for any dumb ass who thinks any traveling that isn't life or death can still be seen as "essential".

This was posted by a doctor I know from high school, Princeton University (undergrad), Harvard Medical School, residency with Columbia in NYC, and now works at Massachusetts General Hospital. So she doesn't do Longhorn fansites, but she absolutely is a shit ton more qualified to preach and repost medical shit than almost anyone with a Surly account.

Social Distancing: This is Not a Snow Day

Follow
Mar 13 · 7 min read

Originally published by Ariadne Labs on March 13, 2020

By Asaf Bitton, MD, MPH

Iknow there is some confusion about what to do next in the midst of this unprecedented time of a pandemic, school closures, and widespread social disruption. As a primary care physician and public health leader, I have been asked by a lot of people for my opinion, and I will provide it below based on the best information available to me today. These are my personal views, and my take on the necessary steps ahead.

What I can clearly say is that what we do, or don’t do, over the next week will have a massive impact on the local and perhaps national trajectory of coronavirus. We are only about 11 days behind Italy and generally on track to repeat what is unfortunately happening there and throughout much of the rest of Europe very soon.

At this point, containment through contact tracing and increased testing is only part of the necessary strategy. We must move to pandemic mitigation through widespread, uncomfortable, and comprehensive social distancing. That means not only shutting down schools, work (as much as possible), group gatherings, and public events, but also making daily choices to stay away from each other as much as possible to Flatten The Curve below.

Our health system will not be able to cope with the projected numbers of people who will need acute care should we not muster the fortitude and will to socially distance each other starting now. On a regular day, we have about 45,000 staffed ICU beds nationally, which can be ramped up in a crisis to about 95,000. Even moderate projections suggest that if current infectious trends hold, our capacity (locally and nationally) may be overwhelmed as early as mid-late April. Thus, the only set of strategies that can get us off this concerning trajectory are those that enable us to work together as a community to maintain public health by staying apart.

The wisdom, and necessity, of this more aggressive, early, and extreme form of social distancing can be found here. I would urge you to take a minute to walk through the interactive graphs — they will drive home the point about what we need to do now to avoid a worse crisis later. Historical lessons and experiences of countries worldwide have shown us that taking these actions early can have a dramatic impact on the magnitude of the outbreak. So what does this enhanced form of social distancing mean on a daily basis, when schools are cancelled?

Here are some steps you can start taking now to keep your family safe and do your part to avoid a worsening crisis:

1. We need to push our local, state, and national leaders to close ALL schools and public spaces and cancel all events and public gatherings now.

A local, town by town response won’t have the adequate needed effect. We need a statewide, nationwide approach in these trying times. Contact your representative and your governor to urge them to enact statewide closures. As of today, six states have already done so. Your state should be one of them. Also urge leaders to increase funds for emergency preparedness and make widening coronavirus testing capacity an immediate and top priority. We also need legislators to enact better paid sick leave and unemployment benefits to help nudge people to make the right call to stay at home right now.

2. No kid playdates, parties, sleepovers, or families/friends visiting each other’s houses and apartments.

This sounds extreme because it is. We are trying to create distance between family units and between individuals. It may be particularly uncomfortable for families with small children, kids with differential abilities or challenges, and for kids who simply love to play with their friends. But even if you choose only one friend to have over, you are creating new links and possibilities for the type of transmission that all of our school/work/public event closures are trying to prevent. The symptoms of coronavirus take four to five days to manifest themselves. Someone who comes over looking well can transmit the virus. Sharing food is particularly risky — I definitely do not recommend that people do so outside of their family.

We have already taken extreme social measures to address this serious disease — let’s not actively co-opt our efforts by having high levels of social interaction at people’s houses instead of at schools or workplaces. Again — the wisdom of early and aggressive social distancing is that it can flatten the curve above, give our health system a chance to not be overwhelmed, and eventually may reduce the length and need for longer periods of extreme social distancing later (see what has transpired in Italy and Wuhan). We need to all do our part during these times, even if it means some discomfort for a while.

3. Take care of yourself and your family, but maintain social distance.

Exercise, take walks/runs outside, and stay connected through phone, video, and other social media. But when you go outside, do your best to maintain at least six feet between you and non-family members. If you have kids, try not to use public facilities like playground structures, as coronavirus can live on plastic and metal for up to nine days, and these structures aren’t getting regularly cleaned.

Going outside will be important during these strange times, and the weather is improving. Go outside every day if you are able, but stay physically away from people outside your family or roommates. If you have kids, try playing a family soccer game instead of having your kids play with other kids, since sports often mean direct physical contact with others. And though we may wish to visit elders in our community in person, I would not visit nursing homes or other areas where large numbers of the elderly reside, as they are at highest risk for complications and mortality from coronavirus.

Social distancing can take a toll (after all, most of us are social creatures). The CDC offers tips and resources to reduce this burden, and other resources offer strategies to cope with the added stress during this time.

We need to find alternate ways to reduce social isolation within our communities through virtual means instead of in-person visits.

4. Reduce the frequency of going to stores, restaurants, and coffee shops for the time being.

Of course trips to the grocery store will be necessary, but try to limit them and go at times when they are less busy. Consider asking grocery stores to queue people at the door in order to limit the number of people inside a store at any one time. Remember to wash your hands thoroughly before and after your trip. And leave the medical masks and gloves for the medical professionals — we need them to care for those who are sick. Maintain distance from others while shopping — and remember that hoarding supplies negatively impacts others so buy what you need and leave some for everyone else. Take-out meals and food are riskier than making food at home given the links between the people who prepare food, transport the food, and you. It is hard to know how much that risk is, but it is certainly higher than making it at home. But you can and should continue to support your local small businesses (especially restaurants and other retailers) during this difficult time by buying gift certificates online that you can use later.

5. If you are sick, isolate yourself, stay home, and contact a medical professional.

If you are sick, you should try to isolate yourself from the rest of your family within your residence as best as you can. If you have questions about whether you qualify or should get a coronavirus test, you can call your primary care team and/or consider calling the Massachusetts Department of Public Health at 617.983.6800 (or your state’s department of health if you are outside of Massachusetts). Don’t just walk into an ambulatory clinic — call first so that they can give you the best advice — which might be to go to a drive-through testing center or a virtual visit on video or phone. Of course, if it is an emergency call 911.

I realize there is a lot built into these suggestions, and that they represent a real burden for many individuals, families, businesses, and communities. Social distancing is hard and may negatively impact many people, especially those who face vulnerabilities in our society. I recognize that there is structural and social inequity built in and around social distancing recommendations. We can and must take steps to bolster our community response to people who face food insecurity, domestic violence, and housing challenges, along with the many other social disadvantages.

I also realize that not everyone can do everything. But we have to try our absolute best as a community, starting today. Enhancing social distancing, even by one day, can make a large difference.

1*xRU-GFbiVeVpnk2ssyQEDQ.png

We have a preemptive opportunity to save lives through the actions we take right now that we will not have in a few weeks. It is a public health imperative. It is also our responsibility as a community to act while we still have a choice and while our actions can have the greatest impact.

We cannot wait.

1*_7aR_ESGHkhpBb_nSVd1Eg.png?q=20
1*_7aR_ESGHkhpBb_nSVd1Eg.png

Asaf Bitton, MD, MPH, is the executive director of Ariadne Labsin Boston, MA.

https://medium.com/@ariadnelabs/social-distancing-this-is-not-a-snow-day-ac21d7fa78b4

Yeah, I got an email from a friend of mine who lives in Italy and the shit they’re going through will blow your mind.  Tell them about tinfoil hats and essential trave.

Far smarter people, who have much more to lose than most of us shaggy posters have thrown in the towel and decided to forgo their own personal pleasure/earnings/joy/whatever for the betterment of society.  Pretty sure I can handle doing my small part here.

But hey, @AustinMT you just keep on being a badass non-conforming tough guy.  You’ll show em all.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, I got an email from a friend of mine who lives in Italy and the shit they’re going through will blow your mind.  Tell them about tinfoil hats and essential trave.

Far smarter people, who have much more to lose than most of us shaggy posters have thrown in the towel and decided to forgo their own personal pleasure/earnings/joy/whatever for the betterment of society.  Pretty sure I can handle doing my small part here.

But hey, @AustinMT you just keep on being a badass non-conforming tough guy.  You’ll show em all.

I’m not suggesting I am going to be a “bad ass nonconformist tough guy.”  I am suggesting that your use of the terminology “you’re a selfish piece of shit.  And fuck you for doing this to the rest of us.  Seriously...get a fucking grip“ for anyone that does not fall in line with your views is doltish.  As I mentioned above, we canceled our trip to Europe.  I have other trips to make that you may consider “nonessential” but I am not interested in your view on what I should or should not do.  Let people exercise their own restraint, instead of using your limited vocabulary to scold them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

I’m not suggesting I am going to be a “bad ass nonconformist tough guy.”  I am suggesting that your use of the terminology “you’re a selfish piece of shit.  And fuck you for doing this to the rest of us.  Seriously...get a fucking grip“ for anyone that does not fall in line with your views is doltish.  As I mentioned above, we canceled our trip to Europe.  I have other trips to make that you may consider “nonessential” but I am not interested in your view on what I should or should not do.  Let people exercise their own restraint, instead of using your limited vocabulary to scold them.

Want to harm yourself with your ignorant point of view?  Cool man, be my guest.  Want to put others at risk with your selfish behavior?  Yeah I’m gonna call a spade a spade and point out that you’re being selfish.  But go on with your bad self.  You’ll show us all with your (lack of) exercising your own restraint.

And anyone who thinks limiting travel with this thing “makes no medical sense” and has to ask what non-essential travel is, probably doesn’t have much of a leg to stand on with regard to “limited vocabulary.”

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Traveling anywhere right now is fucking regarded

and we WILL quarantine (Probably for 2-3 weeks to start, likely extending to a month) in less than a week

good luck, idiots

Yeah you’re probably right.  Because dumbasses like @AustinMT need to show us all they can exercise their own restraint while not exercising restraint.  Their vacations and social interactions are essential, bro.

Maybe the silver lining here will be a much needed culling of the heard once this is all said and done.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Maybe the silver lining here will be a much needed culling of the heard once this is all said and done.

I do find it interesting that wishing harm on one or two of our idiot subhuman world leaders is unacceptable while this shit has been repeated multiple times with little to no reaction. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah you’re probably right.  Because dumbasses like @AustinMT need to show us all they can exercise their own restraint while not exercising restraint.  Their vacations and social interactions are essential, bro.

I’m not going on vacation, that was canceled which you apparently glossed over to make your “point.”  What I said, and what you apparently can’t get through your pea brain, is that I do have to make other trips that you may consider non-essential.  Neither I, nor anyone else, needs your approval or thoughts on what is essential or non-essential. 

Have a happy life, and stay out of mine.

By the way, again nice to show your superior command of the English language.

7 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

I do find it interesting that wishing harm on one or two of our idiot subhuman world leaders is unacceptable while this shit has been repeated multiple times with little to no reaction. 

I’m not wishing harm on anyone.  But there will surly be an element of survival of the fittest here once all is said and done.  At a minimum, the result will be better educated people for all of our futures.

50 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Traveling anywhere right now is fucking regarded

and we WILL quarantine (Probably for 2-3 weeks to start, likely extending to a month) in less than a week

good luck, idiots

Can you quarantine yourself from Surly as well?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

I’m not going on vacation, that was canceled which you apparently glossed over to make your “point.”  What I said, and what you apparently can’t get through your pea brain, is that I do have to make other trips that you may consider non-essential.  Neither I, nor anyone else, needs your approval or thoughts on what is essential or non-essential. 

Have a happy life, and stay out of mine.

By the way, again nice to show your superior command of the English language.

You literally advised someone like a page ago to go on their ski vacation, which is where this whole conversation stemmed from.  And you’re absolutely encouraging non-essential travel.  Keep moving that goalpost though.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

You literally advised someone like a page ago to go on their ski vacation, which is where this whole conversation stemmed from.  And you’re absolutely encouraging non-essential travel.  Keep moving that goalpost though.

No, what I am telling you (and them) is it is their choice, not your’s.