Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

Get over yourself and put on your tinfoil hat.  By the way, what is “non-essentially traveling?”   Seal yourself in your house with duct tape and leave us alone, you “piece of shit.”
This thing isn't a joke, you mouth breather. If we, as a country, do not take it seriously, we will end up like Italy with people dying in hospitals because there aren't enough ventilators to go around.
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, I got an email from a friend of mine who lives in Italy and the shit they’re going through will blow your mind.  Tell them about tinfoil hats and essential trave.

Far smarter people, who have much more to lose than most of us shaggy posters have thrown in the towel and decided to forgo their own personal pleasure/earnings/joy/whatever for the betterment of society.  Pretty sure I can handle doing my small part here.

But hey, @AustinMT you just keep on being a badass non-conforming tough guy.  You’ll show em all.

Oh jeebus, fuck off with this self righteous shit.

• Like 1

We are supposed to leave for Mammoth on Wednesday and aren't going. Canceling flights, not an issue, but condo we rented is saying if we can show proof of flight cancelation due to Covid-19 they will issue a 12 month credit. Obviously I can sit here and wait/hope it will eventually be canceled, but any other ideas? Fake email that excludes the flight #s? 

56 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

No, what I am telling you (and them) is it is their choice, not your’s.

That’s not what you’ve been saying.  But again, keep moving the goalposts.

And when your stupidity (and others) negatively impacts other people (including me) expect to be called out on a public message board for being a dumbass.

41 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Oh jeebus, fuck off with this self righteous shit.

How is urging people to help our country stop this thing by eliminating unnecessary exposure and being safe in any way shape or form “self-righteous”?  Pretty much literally the opposite.

• Fuck You 1

waiting in lift lines probably
It's everywhere. Think of how many people touch each lift chair every day. Think of how many people eat in the lodges every day. And yes, the lift lines where you are all crammed together.

My son skis on the Winter Park Competition Center and is supposed to be there skiing right now. But he's not. Because the resorts are a Coronavirus hotspot. The CO governor has told people to avoid them.

How is urging people to help our country stop this thing by eliminating unnecessary exposure and being safe in any way shape or form “self-righteous”?  Pretty much literally the opposite.
Some people don't care about the common good. They care much more about their vacation.

Some people don't care about the common good. They care much more about their vacation.
That's what I'm getting out of a lot of peoples reactions to this. I should be fine, fuck everyone else. Heaven forbid I inconvenience myself temporarily.

I always figured that was the case with a large swath of humanity, but now it's being proven out.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, AustinMT said:

I do have to make other trips that you may consider non-essential.  Neither I, nor anyone else, needs your approval or thoughts on what is essential or non-essential. 

You don't have to make trips that are non-essential. No one does.

You choose to make trips that are non-essential because the trips are important enough to you to offset whatever probability you may become infected and contribute to the spread of the virus. Even if you are young and healthy and the virus has minimal health risk to you personally, you could become a carrier of it and accelerate the spread, which would almost certainly have the butterfly effect of harming people who are older or less healthy. The risk of that happening is much higher if you are traveling compared to you staying at home.

You are being called out and shamed because you sort of acknowledge this yet you announced that you plan to continue with some of your trips. Landomatic is correct, although maybe his tone ruffled your feathers a bit.

• Like 1

Mrs. MO was supposed to fly to RGV on Wednesday to see family, and canceled today. Not really worried about flying but it was nonessential travel and seemed prudent.  Also, she didn't want to be stuck if there is a travel ban instituted. Southwest, so no problem with getting credit. The biggest issue was she was scheduled for a global entry interview in Mission. She could easily schedule an appointment, which wasn't available anywhere close to us, so she was going to do both... see family and have her interview. Now she's got to figure a time and place to get that done. 

48 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

You don't have to make trips that are non-essential. No one does.

You choose to make trips that are non-essential because the trips are important enough to you to offset whatever probability you may become infected and contribute to the spread of the virus. Even if you are young and healthy and the virus has minimal health risk to you personally, you could become a carrier of it and accelerate the spread, which would almost certainly have the butterfly effect of harming people who are older or less healthy. The risk of that happening is much higher if you are traveling compared to you staying at home.

You are being called out and shamed because you sort of acknowledge this yet you announced that you plan to continue with some of your trips. Landomatic is correct, although maybe his tone ruffled your feathers a bit.

“Trips” does not mean I am taking pleasure trips. “Trips” means going to make sure my elderly parents who live a few hours away are OK and getting items to them;  they could probably get delivery, but need to check on them.  “Trips” means having to fly for a couple of upcoming work trips that, maybe, could be done by video but probably not a good idea to do so for reasons that are none of Lando’s business.  “Trips” means the flight I just took for an event for my son in college that I was not going to miss (his college is now set to be all online like many others by the way).  

So none of these are life and death essential, but none of them are pleasure runs either.  That’s my point — I don’t need to listen to Lando spewing and cussing when he has no clue what is going on with anyone outside his sphere.  As far as other people’s choices, whether essential or they choose to go on vacations, I’m not going to judge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

That's what I'm getting out of a lot of peoples reactions to this. I should be fine, fuck everyone else. Heaven forbid I inconvenience myself temporarily.

I always figured that was the case with a large swath of humanity, but now it's being proven out.

Yeah that's not it at all, but turn it to your private vision of the world.

30 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

“Trips” does not mean I am taking pleasure trips. “Trips” means going to make sure my elderly parents who live a few hours away are OK and getting items to them;  they could probably get delivery, but need to check on them.  “Trips” means having to fly for a couple of upcoming work trips that, maybe, could be done by video but probably not a good idea to do so for reasons that are none of Lando’s business.  “Trips” means the flight I just took for an event for my son in college that I was not going to miss (his college is now set to be all online like many others by the way).  

So none of these are life and death essential, but none of them are pleasure runs either.  That’s my point — I don’t need to listen to Lando spewing and cussing when he has no clue what is going on with anyone outside his sphere.  As far as other people’s choices, whether essential or they choose to go on vacations, I’m not going to judge.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Just now, Okie State said:
1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:
Yeah that's not it at all, but turn it to your private vision of the world.

Then what is it?

As of right now places of business are still open.  Airlines are still flying.  If the circumstances change, and Coronavirus issues show up in my travel plan window, then I'll re evaluate.   I'm not going into panic mode right now.

39 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

“Trips” does not mean I am taking pleasure trips. “Trips” means going to make sure my elderly parents who live a few hours away are OK and getting items to them;  they could probably get delivery, but need to check on them.

Yea please don’t do that for their sake. Unless by checking on them you are waving to them through a window. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

As of right now places of business are still open.  Airlines are still flying.  If the circumstances change, and Coronavirus issues show up in my travel plan window, then I'll re evaluate.   I'm not going into panic mode right now.

The circumstances for how this thing spreads and how it can be mitigated aren’t going to change.

7 hours ago, Okie State said:

SIL and her family just got back from skiing two days ago. I'm sure she'll be dropping her kids off at her 60+ year old parents house to babysit shortly. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who is paying attention.

Your sister’s kids almost definitely are carriers. 

7 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Was she in Aspen?  Because Aspen has it.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
7 hours ago, VABuckeye said:
Was she in Aspen?  Because Aspen has it.

It's everywhere at this point, but especially at the ski resorts.

Ski resorts are cold weather’s answer to cruise ships. 

My prediction is that either today or tomorrow will be the last day of the ski season for a majority of the resorts and absolutely no resort will be open in 8 days. 

4 hours ago, Hollywood said:

We are supposed to leave for Mammoth on Wednesday and aren't going. Canceling flights, not an issue, but condo we rented is saying if we can show proof of flight cancelation due to Covid-19 they will issue a 12 month credit. Obviously I can sit here and wait/hope it will eventually be canceled, but any other ideas? Fake email that excludes the flight #s? 

Mammoth will be closed. (At least the lifts will be.) Will that help your case?

4 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

Booked roundtrip dallas to denver for 36$

If your not elderly get those vacations in and wash your hands 5 times a day emoji106.png

Why?

Why would you be joy riding to Denver?

I have a dental appointment there in late March or early April and I doubt that either of those dates will end up happening. 

Edited by Napoleon

57 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

How do you know you aren’t infected currently, in which case you could be the person that transmits a life threatening disease to your parents?

Because I am not going to go in their house or make direct contact (or even be close).  It will be dropping of items (which they can let wait in the garage) and doing work on the yard and house outside.

Again, you guys need to stop assuming things, and keep your opinions to yourselves.  Your assumptions about what I am doing, apparently to to justify Lando’s attitude and your unwavering defense of him, have become incredibly tiresome.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

One of the more reasonable and sensible things I’ve read all day. 

4 hours ago, Okie State said:

Americans: who cares this doesn’t affect me...

Until it does and they blame everyone but themselves for their suffering and loss 

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No one is asking you to panic. They are asking you to be smart and think of not just yourself. 

1 hour ago, Napoleon said:

Ski resorts are cold weather’s answer to cruise ships. 

I was in Crested Butte. Light crowd. No more exposure than entering HEB or Home Depot and many people on the slopes were masked and gloved. So no, not a cruise ship. Maybe Breck or Vail.

I've been thinking about typing this all day.  Well, here I go.

We like to brag about the "greatest generation" and shit on other generations.  Here is our chance to do what they did.  Make a personal sacrifice for the greater good.  Do the right thing.  Maybe save the life of someone you'll never meet.

What happens instead?  People bitch about inconveniences.  About damage to the economy.  Well, guess what?  The sun will continue to rise and you will survive.  I say this as the owner of a small business which could suffer great damage because of the sacrifices I have been and may continue to be asked to make.  I don't know what the future holds for my business.  I'm staring at federal contracts being suspended and delayed.  I've already made the decision to suspend business travel for projects in the future.  I'm not sure about local commerical projects.  Our company is a blue collar company and I rely on boots on the ground.  I have some tough decisions to make.  That said, if I have to make a decision that could impact a life I will err on the side of life always.

Sorry for the rant.

Edited by VABuckeye
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I've been thinking about typing this all day.  Well, here I go.

We like to brag about the "greatest generation" and shit on other generations.  Here is our chance to do what they did.  Make a personal sacrifice for the greater good.  Do the right thing.  Maybe save the life of someone you'll never meet.

What happens instead?  People bitch about inconveniences.  About damage to the economy.  Well, guess what?  The sun will continue to rise and you will survive.  I say this as the owner of a small business which could suffer great damage because of the sacrifices I have been and may continue to be asked to make.  I don't know what the future holds for my business.  I'm staring at federal contracts being suspended and delayed.  I've already made the decision to suspend business travel for projects in the future.  I'm not sure about local commerical projects.  Our company is a blue collar company and I rely on boots on the ground.  I have some tough decisions to make.  That said, if I have to make a decision that could impact a life I will err on the side of life always.

Sorry for the rant.

Good luck to you!  My Dad was a small business owner (also blue collar) so I understand, at a much lower level than you, the challenges of keeping a small business afloat.  Dad’s business was heavily dependent on the oil industry in the 80s — made it through with a lot of challenges.  You’ll do the same

I was in Crested Butte. Light crowd. No more exposure than entering HEB or Home Depot and many people on the slopes were masked and gloved. So no, not a cruise ship. Maybe Breck or Vail.
Uh, you might want to rethink that one. How many people ride each chair every day, wiping snot all over the place? And the lodges are not exactly sanitary.

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

No, it was mostly in crowded spaces and group meetings.

It was a joke, like even the virus has to wait in a lift line in Summit Country.   And I know it was a good joke because I'm having to explain it.

Edited by Loco

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

I worked in Crested Butte one ski season. It is only two mountain ridges from Aspen, but might as well be in another state. 

CB is far and away the most isolated, least international major resort in Colorado. It will still likely get closed down soon, but if you were going to be at any of the resorts in Colorado, Crested Butte is the one that you would have wanted to be at this past week. 

(Now working there in my younger years and living in a fishing cabin 20 miles down the road in Almont... I soon realized that my time on the mountain was not going to be like dropping into a tits&ass movie like I had hoped.)

Yeah, I mean, I’m about the least conspiracy theory, sky is falling, apocalypse person on earth.  But if anyone is non-essentially traveling right now, you’re a selfish piece of shit.  And fuck you for doing this to the rest of us.  Seriously...get a fucking grip.
Supposed to go to Alaska to meet the gf family finally. I think I may get out of that a little while longer but I was looking forward to go to Alaska
  • Like 1