Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

2 hours ago, midtown said:

Meh.  I've always found Europe enjoyable but a travel destination I could live without.

I was supposed to go to London to visit some friends late July and not happening now, it sucks. Still hoping to go to Alaska before winter starts since my gf hasn't been home to see her family in almost 2 years. 

5 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

I was supposed to go to London to visit some friends late July and not happening now, it sucks. Still hoping to go to Alaska before winter starts since my gf hasn't been home to see her family in almost 2 years. 

I was supposed to move back to London in April but that all fell apart for the near term.  Hoping to make the leap back over around the end of August if things continue to improve here and the UK is opened back up.  It's a bit of a juggling act with a house to sell, movers to book, etc. 

The national parks are going to be an absolute shit fest this summer. Going to make the lines at Disney look short
RMNP saying they will only allow 4800 passes per day (not sure if that's people or groups) and most campgrounds will stay closed. Estes can't handle their normal crowds.

You could always just hit a national forest instead and avoid the crowds. Instead of Glacier NP, hit Flathead National Forest which is adjacent to the park and has 700 miles of trails, a hundred lakes,  forest service cabins, etc.

Not a bad idea but will any state actually welcome out-of-state visitors? I would enjoy a week of hiking and avoiding other people, just not sure where that’s possible between now and August.

On 5/14/2020 at 12:03 PM, wild_turkey said:

Not a bad idea but will any state actually welcome out-of-state visitors? I would enjoy a week of hiking and avoiding other people, just not sure where that’s possible between now and August.

Not sure how states are going to keep out "out of state visitors".   Are they talking about checkpoints at every road or interstate?  Not to mention how is it even legal for a state to impede a US citizen from traveling from state to state esp on an interstate highway?   That certainly can not be constitutional. 

Not sure how states are going to keep out "out of state visitors".   Are they talking about checkpoints at every road or interstate?  Not to mention how is it even legal for a state to impede a US citizen from traveling from state to state esp on an interstate highway?   That certainly can not be constitutional. 
Nobody is going to do that, but i know CO's tourism office is ramping up a 'we still love you, but not now' campaign. And i don't know about the rest of the mountains, but the Winter Park Chamber of Commerce just canceled all events for the summer. There isn't going to be a lot to do, other than be outside. I would be surprised if the alpine slide and the rest of the WP resort base opens at all this summer.

On 5/15/2020 at 5:40 PM, kmac30 said:

If you drive somewhere, what are you doing about bathroom breaks? I have 3 kids. I need to get everyone out of the house.

Uh, they have these things called gas stations.

If you're off the beaten path, then pee in the grass.

Have you never taken a road trip with your kids?  I guess I take it for granted that we've been driving to CO every summer since our youngest was born.  We now have 3 boys, ages 3, 5, and 8.

7 hours ago, Wiler77 said:

Uh, they have these things called gas stations.

If you're off the beaten path, then pee in the grass.

Have you never taken a road trip with your kids?  I guess I take it for granted that we've been driving to CO every summer since our youngest was born.  We now have 3 boys, ages 3, 5, and 8.

He is probably aware of gas stations. And trying to avoid them.

10 hours ago, tfoolry said:

Rest stop. 

This, the volume was significantly down at them on our drive last week. It was also much easier to get the kids in and out of one with minimal touching than with a normal gas station.

On 5/13/2020 at 6:45 PM, midtown said:

The national parks are going to be an absolute shit fest this summer. Going to make the lines at Disney look short

Whelp--my trip to Africa is officially canceled.  So we're looking to do something else.

I am tinkering with the idea of renting a recreational vehicle and driving from state to state (no papers).  And if we do that, we'd definitely head up to the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone/Glacier.  I mean, I hear the concern.  But isn't Yellowstone a shitfest every summer?  

And with the lodges closed, with a lot of people who would ordinarily be going to Yellowstone out of work, and with no foreign tourists, I wonder if they won't be less crowded than normal.

I am tinkering with the idea of renting a recreational vehicle and driving from state to state (no papers).  And if we do that, we'd definitely head up to the Grand Tetons/Yellowstone/Glacier.  I mean, I hear the concern.  But isn't Yellowstone a shitfest every summer? 

When are you looking to go?

For National Parks, I'd guess it would depend on if they limit the amount of vehicles in and out per day. If they do it like state parks here, there's no overnights which limits things even more. So it would be a mad rush every morning to get in unless they do reservations. Who the hell knows at this point. I'd love to knock some National Parks off this summer but I think it's going to be either nut to butt or incredibly difficult to even get inside. Or just a straight up free for all. We may just see about hitting some state parks with swimming options this summer. 

Edited by mdmost

For National Parks, I'd guess it would depend on if they limit the amount of vehicles in and out per day. If they do it like state parks here, there's no overnights which limits things even more. So it would be a mad rush every morning to get in unless they do reservations. Who the hell knows at this point. I'd love to knock some National Parks off this summer but I think it's going to be either nut to butt or incredibly difficult to even get inside. Or just a straight up free for all. We may just see about hitting some state parks with swimming options this summer. 

I suspect most will be limiting visitors, to avoid having big crowds.

Our annual trip to St. Barth the first week of June was canceled. No surprise but hopefully we can just reschedule later in the year.

Our anniversary is early June so we were thinking of doing a staycation at a hotel in Dallas instead. Then someone told us they are going to Charleston in 2 weeks where restaurants are currently open at 50% capacity. South Carolina in general seems to be open to visitors with typical social distancing guidelines.

Now we’re considering booking a 3 night stay in Charleston. The only real difference between that and a Dallas staycation would be the flight which I’m not super concerned about. Otherwise we’d just hang out at the hotel pool, beach, or go out to eat dinner, avoiding direct interactions with others as much as possible.

Is the first week of June too early to be doing this? I’m slightly conflicted due to the CDC still recommending people avoid nonessential travel, but that might be the official stance for a year.

It's up to you and what you are comfortable with.  Me personally, I don't think I'm getting on a plane for at least a couple more months.  I'm not crazy about any trips that involve being inside with a lot of strangers for long periods of time either for awhile. 

Edited by kevwun

A place with a nice drive seems to be the best bet in the short term. It would be nice to be in the Pacific Northwest or Northern California for that, assuming you just stick to the drive since most of the places along the way will still be locked down. Doing the full PCH drive would be ideal.

Edited by mdmost

That Presidio to Terlingua river road drive through Big Bend SP is so great. One of my favorite things we did on our recent trip before this all went to hell. You can also go up to Fort Davis and do the mountain loop.

Edited by mdmost

We are planning to go to Big Bend with some friends in October and hoping to go to Belize in December if it works out but am less sure about that one.  The plane ride is the main concern there because once we get to Caye Caulker, we are outside the entire time even for meals.

Edited by kevwun

4 hours ago, midtown said:

This article gives me hope that our Italy trip in September might still take place. Or, we switch to Greece, which looks to be even more possible. 

If the anti-maskers continue to win people over, I would have a hard time getting on a plane. If I'm making a work trip, chances are things have calmed enough that many others will book flights as well, including lots of freedom lovers. I actually trust the airlines on safety for the most part, but the airport experience and especially the other passengers scare the fuck out of me right now.

I wish some airline would do contact tracing, but no way that happens because they might not like the results a couple weeks after each flight.

On 5/17/2020 at 9:04 AM, kevwun said:

The number of rest stops in Texas is nowhere near what it used to be.  The State has been steadily closing them.

each county generally has one of the new mega stops for traffic in each direction on major arteries.

Unless you are in Brewster or some shit, can you not make it 30 minutes?

Edited by Iceman