Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

1 hour ago, HiggyBaby said:

So we are planning on a trip to St Lucia end of June. They are apparently going to require proof of a negative Covid-19 test within the 48 hr period prior to arrival.
Wonder if this requirement is enough to get approved for one via your doctor?

I'm not suggesting that anyone falsify test results, and think it should be a felony to do so, but am wondering what constitutes proof?

13 hours ago, milkman said:

Got on a plane today for the first time since early March. Other than having to wear a face mask it wasn’t bad. I figure these planes are the cleanest they have ever been.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Heard the same from others.  

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

each county generally has one of the new mega stops for traffic in each direction on major arteries.

Unless you are in Brewster or some shit, can you not make it 30 minutes?

We pretty much never use them, I was merely pointing out that you can't count on them for bathroom stops if you are trying to avoid crowds.

2 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

So we are planning on a trip to St Lucia end of June. They are apparently going to require proof of a negative Covid-19 test within the 48 hr period prior to arrival.
Wonder if this requirement is enough to get approved for one via your doctor?

Getting the test done prior to running the germ gauntlet at an international airport seems like it might not be very effective.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 4:11 PM, Mo Horn said:

This article gives me hope that our Italy trip in September might still take place. Or, we switch to Greece, which looks to be even more possible. 

If I read it right, Italy is only opening to tourists from the EU.  US is not mentioned.

45 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If I read it right, Italy is only opening to tourists from the EU.  US is not mentioned.

You're right, that's what it says. But it gives me a little hope that if that goes well they might open it up to everyone. I'm trying  to find any ray of light. 

Uh, they have these things called gas stations.
If you're off the beaten path, then pee in the grass.
Have you never taken a road trip with your kids?  I guess I take it for granted that we've been driving to CO every summer since our youngest was born.  We now have 3 boys, ages 3, 5, and 8.

Dude. I’ve been to roadside gas station restrooms and they don’t scream germ free. Can only imagine what’s up in that shit now. It would also be a different story with 3 boys. I only have 1, with 2 girls. I’m not asking them to do something I wouldn’t (sit on a gas station toilet).

None of it is going to matter. My wife is completely freaking out and not about to go out in the world right now.

2 hours ago, kmac30 said:

Dude. I’ve been to roadside gas station restrooms and they don’t scream germ free. Can only imagine what’s up in that shit now. It would also be a different story with 3 boys. I only have 1, with 2 girls. I’m not asking them to do something I wouldn’t (sit on a gas station toilet).

None of it is going to matter. My wife is completely freaking out and not about to go out in the world right now.

https://www.rei.com/product/876179/reliance-luggable-loo-portable-toilet

Relax. I've just stumbled upon the solution for all your germ concerns.  I present to you the Covid killing UV light sabre from China.

d3f4a2644c00affdfbb07f4262a88af0c2_2x.rdeep-vertical_w245.jpg.2833185e7ce0a0d798bd0e5918f3d854.jpg

My wife just bought one.  We can now fly anywhere we damn well please and disinfect any part of the plane we come in contact with, especially - I'm told by my wife - the toilet where the highest likelihood of infection occurs.  Some of our fellow travelers may have their retinas burned and skin cancer kick started here and there, but hey, not our problem.

I figure we couple this with some hydroxychlarquine and we'll be fucking impervious.

Edited by Mach 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

Relax. I've just stumbled upon the solution for all your germ concerns.  I present to you the Covid killing UV light sabre from China.

d3f4a2644c00affdfbb07f4262a88af0c2_2x.rdeep-vertical_w245.jpg.2833185e7ce0a0d798bd0e5918f3d854.jpg

My wife just bought one.  We can now fly anywhere we damn well please and disinfect any part of the plane we come in contact with, especially - I'm told by my wife - the toilet where the highest likelihood of infection occurs.  Some of our fellow travelers may have their retinas burned and skin cancer kick started here and there, but hey, not our problem.

I figure we couple this with some hydroxychlarquine and we'll be fucking impervious.

spacer.png

• Like 2

The fat lady has "officially" sung on my summer trips. Not that I expected them to happen, but I had to plan that as if they were until they were cancelled. Everything pushed back 11 months, so that will help when I rebook as those flights should be showing in time so I can move without much hassle.

I have a bad feeling it's going to be a busy one next year.

Yeah....I still have no idea what we'll be doing this summer.  We still have a tentative plan for a family trip to a beach motel in Orange County, Ca. in early July.....we're all just in "wait and see" mode.  If it happens, we'll all fly in to LAX, then drive down.  I imagine that we'd mostly hang out together -- avoid doing things that involve crowds, that sort of thing.  But knowing there's some risk just in traveling, and deciding whether the risk (hopefully low) is worth it.

Then we have a week at a Texas beach house with one other family in August -- right now, that should happen.  It may end up being our only summer trip.  Sigh.

6 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....I still have no idea what we'll be doing this summer.  We still have a tentative plan for a family trip to a beach motel in Orange County, Ca. in early July.....we're all just in "wait and see" mode.  If it happens, we'll all fly in to LAX, then drive down.  I imagine that we'd mostly hang out together -- avoid doing things that involve crowds, that sort of thing.  But knowing there's some risk just in traveling, and deciding whether the risk (hopefully low) is worth it.

Then we have a week at a Texas beach house with one other family in August -- right now, that should happen.  It may end up being our only summer trip.  Sigh.

Our Italy/France trip in April canceled of course.  Hoping for October, but that is being very optimistic.

For now, booked a house with great views in Angel Fire. Driving up in late June for 8 nights.  Will bring most of our food and booze, and enjoy cool weather.  

spacer.png

Edited by AustinMT
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, midtown said:

Belize opens at the end of June. I'm planning a 4 night trip in July barring things not deteriorating. Delta has reasonable flights and AA through Miami and my lady friend is platinum on both for upgrades

Don’t get me wrong but I’m hearing bad things about Costa Rica right now. As in, they will be “open” but you definitely aren’t getting in there from the United States unless our numbers go down.  A lot. Will be interesting to see how much resolve they have.

Don’t get me wrong but I’m hearing bad things about Costa Rica right now. As in, they will be “open” but you definitely aren’t getting in there from the United States unless our numbers go down.  A lot. Will be interesting to see how much resolve they have.
They sound like they are a lot smarter than we are., TBH.
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
22 minutes ago, justhookit said:

They sound like they are a lot smarter than we are., TBH.

If they would let me in I’d get down there right now and ride this out there for the next year or whatever. I’ve got no doubt that whatever happens here it will be much better there. For a multitude of reasons. It’s going to be sad when I eventually do make it back down because I know that a lot of friends I’ve made over the years will no longer be there. Unlike people here in the US they just don’t have any other options besides working in the hospitality industry. It’s all they know and it was the best opportunity they ever had in life. Like Port A, or Colorado for you, we all need a summer travel season or else a bunch of people we know are fucked.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, justhookit said:

Pessimistically optimistic. 

• Like 1

I booked hotel reservations over Memorial Day for the July 4 weekend in Jackson Hole.  Being able to score something this late in JH is pretty remarkable.  Granted, lots of things may not be open and I don't expect July 4 parade or fireworks but if that translates into smaller crowd size in Grand Teton it will be a win-win for me.

• Like 2

did

IAH-lake charles on Thursday Nugget Pool was awesome and the gamblings was good.

lake charles-IAH-PHX- Friday-Monday. Stayed at the Sanctuary it was awesome. Old Town was fun. Felt good. Great weather and good vibes.

PHX-IAH monday

IAH was packed. PHX not so much. PV/Scottsdale/Old Town covered in californians.

I booked hotel reservations over Memorial Day for the July 4 weekend in Jackson Hole.  Being able to score something this late in JH is pretty remarkable.  Granted, lots of things may not be open and I don't expect July 4 parade or fireworks but if that translates into smaller crowd size in Grand Teton it will be a win-win for me.

One of my favorite July 4th experiences was in Jackson. We sat on the baseball field and watched fireworks being shot off of the ski slope, drinking pale ales from Snake River Brewing.

I hope your trip goes well and tend to agree with your thought that the Tetons could be less crowded.
  • Like 1

I am starting to plan my trip to Spain for next Easter.  I am cautiously optimistic that we will either have a vaccine, a treatment, or some sort of partial herd immunity which will allow that to happen.  I have to be optimistic.

Then it is Paris and Southwest France in September/October.

2022 will be for some combination of Italy/Thailand/Egypt.

On 5/20/2020 at 4:26 PM, kopp0e said:

It looks as if car rental rates should be outrageously cheap right about now..?
Maybe I will look to take a trip to the Grand Canyon (sometime this summer)...

They were crazy cheap from late March until mid May but for some reason now have shot back up. I usually rent for business travel for convenience and tax purposes but with things shut down haven't needed it. So the wife and I got a Mustang GT convertible for a week in April to fly around doing burnouts on the deserted streets for fun. Cost: $78

On 5/18/2020 at 6:53 PM, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have been looking for a place to pack up a rental car and take the dogs for a week in July/August.  I am shit out of luck at this point.  Decent places are running 1k a night, if they are available, AND rental cars for week are running about 1k to start.  It is fucking nuts.  

pickup and dropoff in newark(of course you have to get there and back): 

https://www.kayak.com/Cheap-Newark-Car-Rentals.8252.cars.ksp

Be sure they are unlimited miles and bada bing bada boom. /Jersey

So an update to my United shit.  Got an email from Chase last week that I was receiving a voucher, not the refund I was told I was getting after escalating for an hour until I got to a supervisor (Scarlet WJ, go fuck yourself).  Finally have time this morning for round 3 on this shit.  

• Like 1

They are totally firewalling the refund department.  I was told it would be over a 2 hour wait to talk to someone and that I should use the united.com/refunds page to request the reevaluation of my refunded voucher.  Pretty sure Id rather take a fucking boat than fly on United at this point.  

Making any international travel plans this year is wishful thinking.  You are just setting yourself up for disappointment and headaches when you have to cancel them.
They were already made. I still put the odds at 60/40 for it to happen. I don't get disappointed