Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

It's too early to tell for Bangkok/Thailand, but is not optimistic.

They've effectively kept borders closed to arrivals for nearing 2 months and just extended the closure for another month (through June). They're letting limited repatriation flights come in, they're also now setting up some hotels to be quarantine hotels in prep for letting some foreigners enter, but these are likely to be people with work permits or permanent residency. Everyone who enters has a mandatory 14day quarantine. There is also talk about the local CDC coordinating with certain countries that have good control of Covid to set up travel agreements to allow people from those countries expedited entry. Given the current situation, it's very unlikely the US makes that list.

4 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

They've effectively kept borders closed to arrivals for nearing 2 months and just extended the closure for another month (through June). They're letting limited repatriation flights come in, they're also now setting up some hotels to be quarantine hotels in prep for letting some foreigners enter, but these are likely to be people with work permits or permanent residency. Everyone who enters has a mandatory 14day quarantine. There is also talk about the local CDC coordinating with certain countries that have good control of Covid to set up travel agreements to allow people from those countries expedited entry. Given the current situation, it's very unlikely the US makes that list.

I’m by no means positive, but the word I hear is that Asia and Europe will be closed to US travelers for the rest of the year. They will be letting regional flights in to slowly test the waters. Since all data points to a potential fall spike worldwide, the approach will be cautious. The US is too much of a hotspot and we are 1/2 way through the year.

I was looking to go to Thailand as well. Since there are very few direct flights, and people have to change planes 1-2 times and deal with more airports, I’ve preemptively canceled my plans. Going to a 3rd world country and expecting everything to be disinfected properly on a regular basis probably isn’t realistic. 

1 minute ago, Spankytoes said:

Going to a 3rd world country and expecting everything to be disinfected properly on a regular basis probably isn’t realistic. 

Specific to this comment, you'd be surprised. Asia in general has 2 factors that make the Covid response far more effective here - one is much more experience with prevention of disease transmission, due to SARS, H1N1, MRSA, etc that were largely Asia-focused, as well as due to long-running experience with daily life issues like dengue and malaria. The second is a culture that's simply more obedient to authority, so when people are told to quarantine/wear a mask/distance themselves, they all do it, and the very few who don't are quickly ostracized and singled out.

Specific to Thailand, firsthand: Everyone is in a mask, many provinces require them with legal penalty and fine if found not wearing one. Every single store and restaurant has a temperature check to enter, and a bottle of hand sanitizer that guests are required to use on entry AND exit. (For a few weeks there, alcohol and disinfectants were nearly impossible to buy.) Shops, restaurants, barbers shut down and wipe down disinfect every 30min or an hour.

My company has mandated masks for over a month, but one common factor you find in the countries that really tamped down the virus (Taiwan, Hong Kong, Thailand) was that the people proactively masked up and started disinfecting before anyone told them to. The local habit re: masks is the opposite of the US mentality; the mask here is to keep disease IN so it doesn't spread to others, not to keep disease OUT of a healthy person. Locals proactively put on a mask before going outside or going to work if they aren't feeling well. It's THAT mentality that the West is missing and why the spread is so much more controlled in SEA.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Not sure if you're joking, but look at the case and death counts between Wuhan, where it started, and NYC, where there were months of forewarning to prepare, and yes, SEA does a shitton better at control.

Do you actually believe the Chinese reporting on their death totals?

I still think everyone is underestimating the economic impact of countries closing their borders to business and tourism.   First of all I dont think the average tourist is going to clamor to travel.  So countries could only allow so many visas.   If they can find a way they will.   And that's not even factoring in months of research and stats on the disease. 

Edited by midtown

23 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Probably stupid, but booked Yellowstone for late August.

Will be in a cabin. They only have residences with private baths open for reservations at the moment (lots have common areas for showers/shitters).

Where at?  In the actual park?

On 5/27/2020 at 2:51 PM, Anton Chigurh said:

Probably stupid, but booked Yellowstone for late August.

Will be in a cabin. They only have residences with private baths open for reservations at the moment (lots have common areas for showers/shitters).

I just booked a spot in the Madison Campground at Yellowstone for four nights in July.  It was a weird deal--it seems that one just came available due to a cancellation.  So I'm pretty stoked.

Still trying to figure out Glacier.

• Like 2

I’m remaining optimistic. Just called Fairmont for my Canada trip. In addition to them changing their cancellation deadline to just 7 days (from 45), the agent told me about specials which got me upgraded to suites for roughly 50 percent off original price.

19 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I just booked a spot in the Madison Campground at Yellowstone for four nights in July.  It was a weird deal--it seems that one just came available due to a cancellation.  So I'm pretty stoked.

Still trying to figure out Glacier.

That’s legit. I am looking forward to the day when my son is old enough to go camping and enjoy it. That’s one of the first places we are going as well as a few nights along the banks of Lake Jackson. 

1 minute ago, Telegraph_it said:

That’s legit. I am looking forward to the day when my son is old enough to go camping and enjoy it. That’s one of the first places we are going as well as a few nights along the banks of Lake Jackson. 

Yeah--I also got a night at a campground on the shore of Lake Jackson.  Then we have to hump it across Idaho to get to the Salmon River for a two-day rafting trip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, elfenix said:

anyone successfully disputed united refusing to refund your money after they cancel/rebook your flight with chase?  should i go ahead and take travel credit in the meantime?

How long is the credit good for? I have a flight to Prague booked for July I need to call about. Already have a boatload of credit from canceled Australia trip. 

2 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

How long is the credit good for? I have a flight to Prague booked for July I need to call about. Already have a boatload of credit from canceled Australia trip. 

2 years.  i'm fine with it but i'd still rather have the money.  complication: i booked with a united card but as the perks are useless for the foreseeable future, i'll be cancelling it before then annual fee hits in july.  should be elligible for a new card miles bonus next time around as well. 

• Like 1

In place of our St. Barth trip, we are going to Charleston this coming Wednesday. Flying from DFW on AA. Renting a car to avoid Uber and staying in a hotel. Will wear a mask in public places except when eating/drinking in a restaurant/bar. It's a calculated risk, but so is eating out in our hometown and we're already doing that. I'm comfortable with it based on the current trends in both Texas and South Carolina.

On the St. Barth front, they currently have 0 cases. Rumor is that their government is meeting today to formalize a plan to reopen their border, including U.S. travelers, as soon as June 15. The plan would require all visitors to have a negative COVID test immediately before departure or upon arrival, then another test 6 days after arrival. This plan has to be approved by the French mainland government, but it sounds like a strong possibility of that happening. So I'm hopeful we get that trip back on the books in late July.

Fuck united. 

Better double check your credit, and make sure you can use it on a different route. I was headed to Spain and Portugal with a buddy in a few months, which is obviously not happening now.  Main flight was from ORD, and we each got separate flights up to Chicago with his being on united. They canceled his flight a month ago, and gave him credit. That credit is only

good for....  a r/t to ORD.

Sounds pretty sketchy, but he showed me the email they sent stating as much.

1 hour ago, wild_turkey said:

In place of our St. Barth trip, we are going to Charleston this coming Wednesday. Flying from DFW on AA. Renting a car to avoid Uber and staying in a hotel. Will wear a mask in public places except when eating/drinking in a restaurant/bar. It's a calculated risk, but so is eating out in our hometown and we're already doing that. I'm comfortable with it based on the current trends in both Texas and South Carolina.

On the St. Barth front, they currently have 0 cases. Rumor is that their government is meeting today to formalize a plan to reopen their border, including U.S. travelers, as soon as June 15. The plan would require all visitors to have a negative COVID test immediately before departure or upon arrival, then another test 6 days after arrival. This plan has to be approved by the French mainland government, but it sounds like a strong possibility of that happening. So I'm hopeful we get that trip back on the books in late July.

Have you checked into getting a test?  I have friends who were looking at a summer camp for their kids.  The camp required a negative test.  Not the antibody test, but the test proving you do don't have C19.  Their pediatrician told them they did not have any tests at present.

Do you just have to shop around to find a test?  I am not planning on doing any foreign travel this year, but it would be good to know where to get and schedule a test just prior to traveling for those places that require it.

Also, to join in the misery, we should in Paris taking our kids overseas for the first time right now.

On 5/28/2020 at 11:14 AM, midtown said:

I still think everyone is underestimating the economic impact of countries closing their borders to business and tourism.   First of all I dont think the average tourist is going to clamor to travel.  So countries could only allow so many visas.   If they can find a way they will.   And that's not even factoring in months of research and stats on the disease. 

I posted on the Costa Rica thread already but after talking to an AA pilot tonight I’m not real optimistic about international travel anytime this year. I know you like to travel like I do. I was supposed to be in CR three times already this spring and this month was supposed to do France, Spain and Italy.

Not that we were expecting any different, but we just had a trip for late July cancel.  We were supposed to meet our Norwegian friends in Florida, but due to the ongoing travel restrictions imposed by the Norwegian gov't (no travel to or from the US), they had to cancel.  We knew it was coming, but just confirmed it today.  Oh well, maybe next year.

Anyone have a passport renewal coming up?  Mine expires in Jan so I checked the website today and it says to wait to apply for new or renewed passports until they return to normal operations unless it's a matter of life or death.  I would think they'd be back to normal operations fairly soon but who knows.  I'm not too worried yet, although some airlines want the passport expiration date to be at least 6 months beyond the travel date.  I don't have any trips planned and probably won't until there's a vaccine but it's maybe something to keep in mind for others.

Anyone have a passport renewal coming up?  Mine expires in Jan so I checked the website today and it says to wait to apply for new or renewed passports until they return to normal operations unless it's a matter of life or death.  I would think they'd be back to normal operations fairly soon but who knows.  I'm not too worried yet, although some airlines want the passport expiration date to be at least 6 months beyond the travel date.  I don't have any trips planned and probably won't until there's a vaccine but it's maybe something to keep in mind for others.

I literally had mine out to send in for renewal in mid March. They shut things down that weekend. It expires tomorrow. Sigh.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

I literally had mine out to send in for renewal in mid March. They shut things down that weekend. It expires tomorrow. Sigh.

Ehhhh,  look on the bright side you’ve got that much more time to renew it? None of us were going anywhere out of country anytime soon. Sorry buddy. Hang in there and bring the family to the Texas coast like you’ve talked about.

On 5/27/2020 at 10:37 PM, Sam Lin said:

Hoping things will be under control enough to lift the 2 week quarantine by late fourth quarter. Was planning to spend another 2-3 months traveling around Asia playing golf and visiting friends in Korea/Thailand. 

First post-pandemic flight this week. I'm in Dallas, so it's AA.

1.  I picked a mid Sunday morning flight to TPA.  It was less than half full as of Friday night, empty rows around me in Main Cabin Extra.

2.  AA had social distancing, no middle seat policy (with exceptions) through May 31, my flight date.  And they announced a program that would notify fliers who booked on flights with lots of space if the flights got full so they could rebook if uncomfortable.

3.  No "plane is full" notice received from AA.  Arrived at gate.  Plane is full.  100%.  Every seat.  No upgrades available to front cabin.

4.  Mask required to board and while on plane.  

5.  Full uniform AA pilot on my row, no mask and no intention to put on a mask.  I nicely asked him about it and he grudgingly went to his luggage in overhead bin and got a mask.

I am locked in with AA and am rooting for them to come back strong, but this was not an impressive showing.  I get that this hard for them and everyone, but at least they should follow their own policies.  We need to be able to trust them.

Edited by DFWTexEx

Would've been in San Diego right now on our 8 day vacation to there and Disneyland with multiple stops at the beach along the way. Sucks because it's a part of California we hadn't visited yet. Guess it will have to wait a year. 

Say what you will about American, but if you live in DFW AA really makes life simpler. My travels during the plague have been convoluted and somewhat painful. Had to jump thru a few hoops to get to Paris the other day. But ended up on Air France out of Atlanta. And other than a good piece of beef there was really nothing about the flight that was better than American.

Looks like AA is going to restart their DFW-CDG flight tomorrow. That will really make travel to (and from) Europe easier. Got my flight on 49 booked for next week.

BTW-For those interested, airports (and planes) have been slowly increasing in traffic the last month or so. (At least to these anecdotal eyes.) And I did get several messages (i.e. warnings) about a nearly full AA flight last week.

I had 2 flights on AA, round trip DFW-Paris in June that were originally cancelled for non-COVID reasons. I took the credit then, paid a change fee, and rescheduled a trip to London/Marseille/Brussels in July, which was a combination of AA/BA flights.

I hadn't put any effort into canceling it but AA just called me out of the blue and said it's canceled. I told them it's fine I would take a credit and she offered me a full refund instead. It took 10 minutes to walk through their refund webpage and it looks like they are giving a full refund for everything paid including the change fees which were my own doing. 

So kuddos to AA for making the refund quick and easy.

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

AA fully refunded the miles and fees for the flight to San Diego that I had to cancel. Easy and quick. 

Same. I booked WebFare awards that are usually non-refundable. Miles were put back immediately and my taxes are being refunded.