Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

7 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Flying IAH to Heathrow on Wednesday, connecting in O’hare because Houston no longer has a direct to London. Not terribly excited about it but it’s part of a move to London. Business is less than half full with decent spacing so may be alright.

Moving to London?  Interesting. Are you excited about that?  Mind providing some details?

International air travel is certainly different these days.  16 pax on my 777 DFW-CDG flight a couple of days ago.  Probably the lowest I've seen since this thing started.    25 or so seems to be the average on that flight, with about half of those up front. For AA's sake I'm hoping they have plenty of cargo below.

Had to take Delta or Air France a few times when American stopped service in the spring.  Those flights were pretty full.

The good news is that Europe is getting back to normal somewhat.  If they have limitations on restaurant capacity, I certainly can't tell. (At least in France, Spain and Italy.)  And the French are even starting to gripe about the lack of tourists (particularly Americans.)  Got to admit though, it's pretty damn awesome having no problem getting an outdoor table on a beautiful day on the Champ Elysees!

• Hook 'Em 1

The good news is that Europe is getting back to normal somewhat.  If they have limitations on restaurant capacity, I certainly can't tell. (At least in France, Spain and Italy.)

The downside is that France and Spain are seeing a significant spike in cases. France is much worse now than during their first wave. When you look at their number of new cases per capita, they are now about equal to the U.S. in severity. The difference is that our curve is trending slowly downward and their curve is trending sharply upward. They are basically us in late June.

Flying IAH to Heathrow on Wednesday, connecting in O’hare because Houston no longer has a direct to London. Not terribly excited about it but it’s part of a move to London. Business is less than half full with decent spacing so may be alright.
Jesus, I didn't know that. There were 3 a day before all this shit.

Of course there was an IAH airline that had 2 a day to CDG; now none. plz die painfully jeff smisek.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

The downside is that France and Spain are seeing a significant spike in cases. France is much worse now than during their first wave. When you look at their number of new cases per capita, they are now about equal to the U.S. in severity. The difference is that our curve is trending slowly downward and their curve is trending sharply upward. They are basically us in late June.

Even the Czech Republic which had it "beat" early, is now spiking again. They've had their bars and restaurants open for indoor dining and consumption for months, and now they're seeing the consequences.

I wouldn't go anywhere near an "open as usual" restaurant in much of Europe right now, at least not inside.

4 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Yep, heading over in a little over 12 hours. Lived there before (and in Scotland) from ‘05 to ‘11 so am a naturalized citizen with dual passports. It’s been a goal to get back for many years and that’s where the business opportunities are for me now.

Am I excited? I guess I have mixed feelings right now. London is a city I love and a place that is familiar to me and where I still have several friends. I always feel at home there and am happy the minute I get off the plane at LHR. That being said, this has been a grueling process that has taken about a year to get done. And my wife and I are doing it all on our own without a company paying for the move and handling all the details. House was all but sold in March and I was ecstatic for the move. But the buyer cancelled during the option period due to Covid and everything was put on hold for months. Ended up getting back with the buyer and closing the deal in late August and not losing much on the original deal. But since then, we had to put our English Bulldog down and my father has gone downhill with some health issues. On top of that, I don’t know what London will look like in a Covid environment for the next 12 to 18 months. It’s made me question over the last month if this is the right move at age 46 - leaving behind family, friends, familiarity and most of my professional network. It’s emotionally exhausting but my wife and I keep putting one foot ahead of the next every day to get it done. As she says, we are limping across the finish line, beaten and battered. But, we have a great flat in Marylebone (Central London), I can walk to the office so no commuting via the Tube and life will push on.

I have to remind myself though that it’s important to always chase your dreams. And if it doesn’t work out in a few years, fuck it. We will just do something else.

That is quite the story. Grueling, indeed. I truly hope it all comes together as planned. Sounds like you’ve earned it. 

And kudos for just having the balls to do it in the first place. Quite jealous of your opportunity to do so. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

It’s made me question over the last month if this is the right move at age 46 - leaving behind family, friends, familiarity and most of my professional network

Moving just fucking sucks, period. However, I’d go for it too. I’d do it now if I could convince my company that we need people in the UK. Fuck it. Have an adventure, and a Sunday roast at the Jugged Hare. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive comments. Of course we have our two week quarantine upon arrival, which is somewhat enforced by the local authorities. Even jail breaking to the pub poses some risk because you have to provide your contact tracing details upon entry. Should the police cross reference that it could be a problem. But honestly, after the shit we’ve been through the past year and especially recent months, just unwinding in a kick ass flat on the Thames (until our place in Marylebone is ready) with no obligations is sounding pretty good. I may sleep for a week.

Edited by Doug E. Fresh
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 9/16/2020 at 9:33 PM, Doug E. Fresh said:

Thanks for all the positive comments. Of course we have our two week quarantine upon arrival, which is somewhat enforced by the local authorities. Even jail breaking to the pub poses some risk because you have to provide your contact tracing details upon entry. Should the police cross reference that it could be a problem. But honestly, after the shit we’ve been through the past year and especially recent months, just unwinding in a kick ass flat on the Thames (until our place in Marylebone is ready) with no obligations is sounding pretty good. I may sleep for a week.

Sounds like you may be struggling mightily there. 

Where is your temp flat along the Thames?

On 9/19/2020 at 5:29 PM, After irth said:

Sounds like you may be struggling mightily there. 

Where is your temp flat along the Thames?

Not struggling mightily, just settling in on the end of day 4. The flat is on Wapping High Street, a bit east of Tower Bridge. The place has a huge balcony on each level overlooking the Thames. It’s been sunny and around 75 everyday and will be for a few more days. Then, the fall weather will set in around midweek. My wife was checked up on Friday afternoon to make sure we we’re quarantining. This week we will start the process of getting things setup such as phones, utilities, cable, internet, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

Not struggling mightily, just settling in on the end of day 4. The flat is on Wapping High Street, a bit east of Tower Bridge. The place has a huge balcony on each level overlooking the Thames. It’s been sunny and around 75 everyday and will be for a few more days. Then, the fall weather will set in around midweek. My wife was checked up on Friday afternoon to make sure we we’re quarantining. This week we will start the process of getting things setup such as phones, utilities, cable, internet, etc. 

I like that part of London.  Some great labs down there when you are done quarantining.

46 minutes ago, Doug E. Fresh said:

I figured that's where you were.  Love Wapping, and I'm pretty sure I'm familiar with the building you're talking about.  Freakin' awesome.  So jealous.  

We shitcanned a London trip this Christmas, but will (hopefully) return again next December for 3 weeks.  Normally stay somewhere off Piccadilly Circus.  Planning on a Wapping flat next time around.  Claim a regular stool at Turner's Old Star, maybe share some nog with Helen Mirren, etc.

Best wishes for getting settled into Marylebone and starting your new adventure.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I figured that's where you were.  Love Wapping, and I'm pretty sure I'm familiar with the building you're talking about.  Freakin' awesome.  So jealous.  

We shitcanned a London trip this Christmas, but will (hopefully) return again next December for 3 weeks.  Normally stay somewhere off Piccadilly Circus.  Planning on a Wapping flat next time around.  Claim a regular stool at Turner's Old Star, maybe share some nog with Helen Mirren, etc.

Best wishes for getting settled into Marylebone and starting your new adventure.  

The views do not suck. Bulldog party in the last pic

a5d913b9deed306d5f3c7e65270708ce.jpg

23ee68351992f7992f7256fd612a2f09.jpg

ab7c2e8d593300e65789b1e04f2b881e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, After irth said:

I did the same thing. Was planning the first 3 weeks of Dec, returning 12/24. Into Paris, stay 3 days, over to Manchester for 4 days, London for a week, Brussels for 3 days, Amsterdam for 2 days, then back to Paris for the last few days. Mostly for the Christmas markets and to check in with some friends. 

scrapped for a year, maybe two. 

Summer trip with Spain/Portugal can-x’d too, and moved to the end of June. 

9 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

I did the same thing. Was planning the first 3 weeks of Dec, returning 12/24. Into Paris, stay 3 days, over to Manchester for 4 days, London for a week, Brussels for 3 days, Amsterdam for 2 days, then back to Paris for the last few days. Mostly for the Christmas markets and to check in with some friends. 

scrapped for a year, maybe two. 

Summer trip with Spain/Portugal can-x’d too, and moved to the end of June. 

Jesus, that sounds like work. We just wanted to chill...

13 hours ago, After irth said:

Jesus, that sounds like work. We just wanted to chill...

Well, not really. Did it year before last and it was a blast. It wasn't a relax and fluff trip, but it was still a lot fun.

Travel wise it wasn't bad, and that wouldn't be either. The only part that kinda sucked last run was the hotel in Paris was at the end of the line out in Chessey. It was a 10min bus ride to the station, then a 35 min ride into the Halle station. Not a terrible commute, but not super easy. However, in return the hotel was stupid cheap. Stupid cheap enough that I just kept the room the entire time so I could keep the bulk of the luggage/purchases there instead of dragging them along everywhere. That, plus a straight shot on a high speed to the airport, made for a decent trade off.

Doing that again, I may look for something not quite so close to Disneyland Paris. It was ok, but a bit annoying at times. Something along the same train route to the airport would be alright, as long as it also has a line into the city center. Day passes are a good investment. Got passes for both ends of the trip in one stop at the kiosk when we got to the airport.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Well, not really. Did it year before last and it was a blast. It wasn't a relax and fluff trip, but it was still a lot fun.

Travel wise it wasn't bad, and that wouldn't be either. The only part that kinda sucked last run was the hotel in Paris was at the end of the line out in Chessey. It was a 10min bus ride to the station, then a 35 min ride into the Halle station. Not a terrible commute, but not super easy. However, in return the hotel was stupid cheap. Stupid cheap enough that I just kept the room the entire time so I could keep the bulk of the luggage/purchases there instead of dragging them along everywhere. That, plus a straight shot on a high speed to the airport, made for a decent trade off.

Doing that again, I may look for something not quite so close to Disneyland Paris. It was ok, but a bit annoying at times. Something along the same train route to the airport would be alright, as long as it also has a line into the city center. Day passes are a good investment. Got passes for both ends of the trip in one stop at the kiosk when we got to the airport.

Jesus, that sounds like work. We just wanted to chill. 

On 9/22/2020 at 12:42 PM, HenryJames said:

How’d you travel from London to Brussels, and how long did it take?

Eurostar. Wasn't a long trip whatsoever, and an enjoyable ride to boot. They also started going up to Amsterdam from London (stops in Brussels too) which would be a nice ride.

From Brussels back to Chessey was a high speed TVG. Tickets bought well in advance, so was cheap for 1st.

18 hours ago, Ignatius said:

Any part of existence in O’Hare is worse than AIDS...

O'Hare isn't that bad. Really unless you're going I->D, or switching carriers, it's about as simple as you can find in a big ass airport. (United side excluded, fuck United and smisek, but even then it isn't horrid. Busy? Yes. Can get crowded around gates? Yes. So what. Go hide in the flagship lounge and free pour the woodford.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 8:52 PM, thunderlounge said:

O'Hare isn't that bad. Really unless you're going I->D, or switching carriers, it's about as simple as you can find in a big ass airport. (United side excluded, fuck United and smisek, but even then it isn't horrid. Busy? Yes. Can get crowded around gates? Yes. So what. Go hide in the flagship lounge and free pour the woodford.

Flagship lounge is closed.  Polaris is closed, and so is half of the UC

8 hours ago, Sundodger said:

How open is central Texas right now?   More specifically, how open are breweries and BBQ?  

Most everything is open.  Breweries are doing mostly outdoor biergarten seating if they have it.  BBQ restaurants are mostly open as well, but I don't know if the short-serve/trailer type places like Franklin are still doing preorder/pickup only, or if they've switched back to allowing lines to queue up outside.

On 10/16/2020 at 8:56 AM, thunderlounge said:

That was “in general”, covid closures aside, etc. 

I’m sure most airports are a beating right now for seasoned travelers. 

I am preferring traveling right now. Out of 27 flight segments this year I’ve missed an upgrade on one flight. First class is back to normal in that they are serving drinks as normal on United. 

Most lounges being closed is kind of annoying but enough are open between United and Priority Pass to find one.