Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

46 minutes ago, midtown said:

From what I understand from a local.  Caye Caulker which was generally quiet is dead.  Like nothing open at all.   You can pick any number of places in San Pedro and bar hop and stumble up and down the beach.   Sandy toes is open. Palapa.  A few others.  Crocs.  Truck stop and everything at secret beach.   More might be open now.   Curfew is still 10pm though. 

Curfew isn't a deal breaker but definitely a boner killer.  That being said, staying out late and drinking has killed a lot of my boners as well.

Sounds like the place to go is San Pedro area.  Is the beach nice in that area?  Where should I look to stay where drinking a mai tai in waist deep water is a good option for my 11am warm up drink?

Alright... need an island to go to.  I'm about to finish up some projects and haven't had a real, get out of the country, vacation since the ex-fiancee and I called it off nearly 3 years ago. 
Questions:
1. Is there just a flat out good resource for finding what countries have lax travel restrictions?
2. What is a good spot that is very walkable/golf cart type place? (I've done Isla Muljeres a handful of times but would like to try something different)
What sayeth the surls? 

Isla Mujeres
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Today’s annoyance: it’s apparently Marriott policy to suspend use of luggage trolleys and my wife packs like we’re on a 100-night trek no matter where we go. Pretty stupid policy. I hope the grocery stores don’t pick up on it.

I have used a lot of trolleys in a lot of hotels the past year. Sounds like a dickhead GM to me. 

On 4/4/2021 at 3:51 PM, Jhawk said:

Curfew isn't a deal breaker but definitely a boner killer.  That being said, staying out late and drinking has killed a lot of my boners as well.

Sounds like the place to go is San Pedro area.  Is the beach nice in that area?  Where should I look to stay where drinking a mai tai in waist deep water is a good option for my 11am warm up drink?

USVI would eliminate customs bullshit and is really beautiful.

I think the only thing I am going to do is rent a house out on Long Island for the month of September.  That way, I am not paying the high season cost, but still get good weather.  I just don't want the difficulty that traveling outside of the US will cause at the moment (saving that up for January when I hope things will be MUCH better), and really do not want to have to go that far since where I go, I take the doggies.  A house in the Hamptons with a pool and tennis court for a month might be a good deal.  I can work from there poolside.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Today’s annoyance: it’s apparently Marriott policy to suspend use of luggage trolleys and my wife packs like we’re on a 100-night trek no matter where we go. Pretty stupid policy. I hope the grocery stores don’t pick up on it.

her problem, no?

10 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Isla Mujeres

Been 3 times. Love the place just want to try something new... oh and my last trip with my ex-fiancée was to there. I asked her to marry me that trip. I’m basically looking for the same atmosphere and situation just not there. But that is also because it was a bit of a hassle to get to the island. If there is something easier I’d love to hear it. 

Been looking at USVI a lot. Puerto Rico has cheap hookers I’ve heard. 

Edited by Jhawk

Been 3 times. Love the place just want to try something new... oh and my last trip with my ex-fiancée was to there. I asked her to marry me that trip. I’m basically looking for the same atmosphere and situation just not there. But that is also because it was a bit of a hassle to get to the island. If there is something easier I’d love to hear it. 

I know, just fucking with you. I love IM and can’t wait to go back.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jhawk said:

I love Puerto Rico. Check out the Waldorf properties on the east side:  El Conquistador and adjoining Las Casitas.  El Conquistador more resort hotel, Las Casitas more private villa rentals.  El Conquistador been under renovations but scheduled to open next month (May 2021). Place is awesome. Definitely a get away relax type place. Close to many attractions.

12 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I think the only thing I am going to do is rent a house out on Long Island for the month of September.  That way, I am not paying the high season cost, but still get good weather.  I just don't want the difficulty that traveling outside of the US will cause at the moment (saving that up for January when I hope things will be MUCH better), and really do not want to have to go that far since where I go, I take the doggies.  A house in the Hamptons with a pool and tennis court for a month might be a good deal.  I can work from there poolside.  

That’s what we did last year. I don’t fancy myself a Hamptons guy, but after the shit show of last spring, I have to admit it was really fucking nice and I’m considering doing it again this year.

Just now, Reynolds Woodcock said:

That’s what we did last year. I don’t fancy myself a Hamptons guy, but after the shit show of last spring, I have to admit it was really fucking nice and I’m considering doing it again this year.

I have been talking to the realtor.  It is rented through Labor Day, so I could get posession the day after and have it through end of September.  Has a heated pool, and it was really nice through September generally.  She asked me for terms, what does that mean (sorry, I am not used to renting via a realtor, usually go through AirBnB or Homeaway/VRBO).  

The house is nice.  Has a pool and a tennis court.  I cannot play tennis (I never learned), but with the dogs, it would be fun.

1 minute ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I have been talking to the realtor.  It is rented through Labor Day, so I could get posession the day after and have it through end of September.  Has a heated pool, and it was really nice through September generally.  She asked me for terms, what does that mean (sorry, I am not used to renting via a realtor, usually go through AirBnB or Homeaway/VRBO).  

The house is nice.  Has a pool and a tennis court.  I cannot play tennis (I never learned), but with the dogs, it would be fun.

Not sure on terms, we used AirBnB. The heated pool is clutch, because as you know it can get cold at times.

15 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Nice humblebrag.

6 hours ago, Jhawk said:

It was a hassle to get to Isla?

4 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Terms? Tell them you want a cabana boy and an unlimited supply of little drink umbrellas?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wood said:

It was a hassle to get to Isla?

Cab/shuttle to the ferry then the shitshow of a cattle train takes 45 minutes to get off the port. From landing in Cancun you’re easily an hour and a half or 2 hours to isla and that’s if you bust balls to the front of the customs line. 

Maybe with what I’m looking for that is always going to be the case but I’m hoping to find a beach just like isla that is a reasonable price to fly direct into and be at the residence/hotel in half the time. 

51 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

Terms? Tell them you want a cabana boy and an unlimited supply of little drink umbrellas?

Tell them 30 gerbils and no green skittles in the candy bowl. 

Edited by Jhawk
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Cab/shuttle to the ferry then the shitshow of a cattle train takes 45 minutes to get off the port. From landing in Cancun you’re easily an hour and a half or 2 hours to isla and that’s if you bust balls to the front of the customs line. 

Maybe with what I’m looking for that is always going to be the case but I’m hoping to find a beach just like isla that is a reasonable price to fly direct into and be at the residence/hotel in half the time. 

Tell them 30 gerbils and no green skittles in the candy bowl. 

Kind of plain maybe, in terms of less exotic, but what about a weeks house rental on St John? No customs, excellent beaches, beautiful views. Granted you have to ferry from St Thomas, but there are options for that outside the standard one from Red Hook. 

Probably want to grab a jeep rental well in advance as they go quick. 

Not the out of country deal, but meets the general requirements. Excellent snorkeling, good food, can be a great time for sure. 

Puerto Rico can be fun. Vieques is a deal now that we aren’t using it for a shooting range. If it’s still there, and just one of those things you can’t not see just because of what it is, would be the donkey show. Yes it’s filthy disgusting (nttawwt), but also one of those tales you’ll tell forever.

Also as was mentioned up thread with a US territory deal you avoid customs and immigration, and also having to go through the whole covid test before coming back if that matters to you. I know for me when on a relaxing trip like you are looking for, the less hassles the better.

There’s also the Bahamas.

Have you thought about maybe something like Charleston, Key West, or something like that? Just spitballing here and trying to think of easier compromises that might be just as enjoyable but a little less hassle. 

3 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

Puerto Rico can be fun. Vieques is a deal now that we aren’t using it for a shooting range.

Vieques was amazing pre-hurricane. Not so much, now. Vieques was pretty much levelled by the storm. The W closed after the storm and will not reopen. Last I heard, from a Puerto Rican who's been back to PR a few times since, Vieques was down to just one cop living on the island, and is a haven for criminal activity. He said it's a routine stop for drug trafficking boats, for refueling, changing boats, etc, because they know there's basically no law there. Sucks.

Wow. Hadn’t kept up on Vieques but that is crazy shit. Went through all of the protests and whatnot to finally convince the Navy to give up the bomb/gun range there, turned it into what seemed to be (or becoming) a great little vacation place. And now it’s all like that? Wow. That kinda floors me a bit.

I knew some places in the caribbean and whatnot that weren’t too good to begin with were still struggling, but didn’t recall Vieques being mentioned. Sad to hear. Those people have been through a lot and now this.

Scratch that off. Unless you’re looking for one hell of a coke bender I guess.

I have a few friends from PR. One was just back there a couple months ago and just got back from another 3 week trip. I can check with him and see if he has any suggestions or at least see how it looks during the pandemic.