Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yep, and I think economies will rebound fairly quickly.  

There will be a lot of pent-up demand, and global production for all manufactured goods will ramp up quickly.

There are some industries-- like mine-- that are booming right now, BECAUSE of the coronavirus.  The only problem is that there is no buffer in the supply chain any longer.  So it'll go flat for a couple of months, and then recover quickly.

Globally, once the virus runs its course, there are still a large number of factors that support the idea of a quick economic recovery.  The period between now and then, in terms of actual human suffering, is going to suck badly.

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

There will be a lot of pent-up demand, and global production for all manufactured goods will ramp up quickly.

There are some industries-- like mine-- that are booming right now, BECAUSE of the coronavirus.  The only problem is that there is no buffer in the supply chain any longer.  So it'll go flat for a couple of months, and then recover quickly.

Globally, once the virus runs its course, there are still a large number of factors that support the idea of a quick economic recovery.  The period between now and then, in terms of actual human suffering, is going to suck badly.

That's what I've read, and thought as well. The airlines, tourist industry, cruise lines will all offer big savings for travel. That will spur lots of dollar movement in and of itself.  Filling late orders and catching up all other mfgring, will spur additional demand.

It may suck for a while though, but everyone is in the same boat right now.

Update from Montreal: my daughter's French friends are starting to head back to France, in anticipation of a border closure.  She has been planning to stay in Montreal for the duration.  We'll talk to her again this afternoon to see if that plan is changing.

If it is, we're going to suggest that she go ahead and take a couple of days to pack up her dorm room and box up everything that needs to go to storage and stay in Montreal.  Then pack her bags to bring home.  And then, to find a way to get her home.  I just looked online, and there are still plenty of flight options to get her home (and lord, they're cheap).  The question is how long they remain options.

I don't want her scrambling and killing herself to leave in 24 hours.  I also don't want her ending up stuck in an immigration line that looks like what we saw from O'Hare this weekend.  So, we'll play it by ear.  And, if air travel is out, there may be other options.  She has a good friend whose home is in Maine.  Maybe he could rent a car, they could drive back there, and she could figure out how to get home from there.  Worst case scenario....one of us has to drive to New England and back to get her.

Sigh.  Fuck.

1 hour ago, Landomatic said:

New York closeting all restaurants, bars, gyms and Movie theaters.

Same with Philly. Restaurants can do take-out and delivery, but I wonder how sustainable that will be other than the small ones that operate that way to begin with

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

When the son calls, and says the Air Force travel ban's lifted (May 11 currently) it'll be getting back to semi normal.

Sure but that call ain’t coming On may 11th. We’ll be knee dip in escalating cases at that point unless we get super lucky. But I hope you’re right and I’m wrong

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Bartles said:

Same with Philly. Restaurants can do take-out and delivery, but I wonder how sustainable that will be other than the small ones that operate that way to begin with

Probably not very.  Their rents and other fixed costs most likely require their full-scale business model to be in operation.

1 hour ago, achooloco said:

Sure but that call ain’t coming On may 11th. We’ll be knee dip in escalating cases at that point unless we get super lucky. But I hope you’re right and I’m wrong

Oh sure, no way of knowing, but when I saw his number come up on my phone, I had a hunch he was gonna tell me he was grounded in Vegas.  No ski trip and probably  gonna miss our annual fly fishing trip (an excuse to drink lots of bourbon, smoke cigars, and eat lots of meat products).

Edited by Onboard 2.0

All passenger air travel in and out of the Cayman Islands will stop Sunday at 11:59pm for three weeks. 

This seems to be in reaction to the UK and the EU, but I could see it lasting much longer.  I love spending Memorial Day week at Coconut Joes on Seven Mile Beach but this year most likely will not happen.

https://www.caymancompass.com/2020/03/16/cayman-to-shut-down-air-travel-for-3-weeks/

Update from Montreal: my daughter's French friends are starting to head back to France, in anticipation of a border closure.  She has been planning to stay in Montreal for the duration.  We'll talk to her again this afternoon to see if that plan is changing.

If it is, we're going to suggest that she go ahead and take a couple of days to pack up her dorm room and box up everything that needs to go to storage and stay in Montreal.  Then pack her bags to bring home.  And then, to find a way to get her home.  I just looked online, and there are still plenty of flight options to get her home (and lord, they're cheap).  The question is how long they remain options.

I don't want her scrambling and killing herself to leave in 24 hours.  I also don't want her ending up stuck in an immigration line that looks like what we saw from O'Hare this weekend.  So, we'll play it by ear.  And, if air travel is out, there may be other options.  She has a good friend whose home is in Maine.  Maybe he could rent a car, they could drive back there, and she could figure out how to get home from there.  Worst case scenario....one of us has to drive to New England and back to get her.

Sigh.  Fuck.

It’s a 29 hr drive. Go get her. Driving across the country> stuck at home

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

It’s a 29 hr drive. Go get her. Driving across the country> stuck at home

I'm working from home -- making money, because gotta keep the bidness going.

If we have to drive, we will.  But will try to put it off or get her partway here, if possible.  We'll be talking to her tonight about plans.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

That's what I've read, and thought as well. The airlines, tourist industry, cruise lines will all offer big savings for travel. That will spur lots of dollar movement in and of itself.  Filling late orders and catching up all other mfgring, will spur additional demand.

It may suck for a while though, but everyone is in the same boat right now.

After layoffs and missed payments and 401k destruction, who has the money or appetite to spend on travel?

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If we have to drive, we will.  But will try to put it off or get her partway here, if possible.  We'll be talking to her tonight about plans.

Start doing wills, I see demand skyrocketing there.

12 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

After layoffs and missed payments and 401k destruction, who has the money or appetite to spend on travel?

You know, if the government really wants to help, it will reduce the penalties for 401K withdrawals, and allow people to take just ordinary income, or even lower tax rate.

Starting to wonder how this will affect my Rosemary Beach trip the first week of June.  Will the temporary school closure cause the school year to push into June?  Will domestic air travel be impacted?  If so, I suppose we could drive, but will it be prudent to be around crowds in a beach community? 

A first-world problem, I know.  But still a problem.

29 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

401K's will rebound.

Recoveries take way longer than drops. 

The psychological hit will be even harder.

People who missed 1 vacation, can't just make it up by taking 2.

It's going to be hard times ahead.

Just now, 52-80 said:

Recoveries take way longer than drops. 

The psychological hit will be even harder.

People who missed 1 vacation, can't just make it up by taking 2.

It's going to be hard times ahead.

I'm gonna disagree. This isn't a normal dip in the economy because of  market factors or oil or war.  The economy was moving along pretty well, and it will recover, it always does.

It will affect folks at the retirement end of their investments, but most folks will recover their account balances in a timely fashion.... or not.

11 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
11 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

In my opinion six to nine months. The social distancing will slow the spread for a few weeks, but then businesses and govt will have to reopen. At that point people will be back out again and the virus will re-ignite until everyone has been touched.

Or, hot weather slows it done, things seem to get back to normal in 3 months, but then goes haywire again in November.

Read more  

We have to hope they fast track a vaccine to be ready to go ASAP. They would be dumb not to. Sounds like a few are already going into human trials. Even if the vaccine is 90% effective, that is better than we are now.

I kinda hate to mention this, but do you realize that our flu vaccines are only about 40-45% effective in good years?  The Coronavirus has already shown rapid mutability; 90% effectiveness may be a dream.  Got my fingers crossed, though!

I kinda hate to mention this, but do you realize that our flu vaccines are only about 40-45% effective in good years?  The Coronavirus has already shown rapid mutability; 90% effectiveness may be a dream.  Got my fingers crossed, though!
That is interesting, because everything I have read has said this thing is pretty damned stable.

5 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

You can still fly nonstop from Montreal to Houston or Dallas, no?

7 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

just crossover into buffalo and catch a domestic flight ?

I have 8 weeks of vacation to use. I'd like to to use half that in France in September if possible. If this thing means i cannot take any, I roll it and have 14 weeks in 2021.

That is insane you can roll over that much vacation to 14 weeks in a year.

Are you a govt employee?

In the private sector I will 'buy' an employees week of vacation but not much more. If I had one go on vacation for 3+ months and not effect me they arent really needed in the first place.
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Did you pay or use miles?  I have 300k miles I’m about to try to get back from Aeromexico.  

Paid. I need to stop drinking because spending the next 3-5 months in Cozumel and using the 2 months of sick time I have stored up is making a lot of sense.

just doublechecked and I have 20 fucking weeks of sick time accrued

Edited by rage-a-holic
  • Like 1

That is insane you can roll over that much vacation to 14 weeks in a year.

Are you a govt employee?

In the private sector I will 'buy' an employees week of vacation but not much more. If I had one go on vacation for 3+ months and not effect me they arent really needed in the first place.
I rolled 2 weeks from last year (that is supposed to be the max roll). I get 6 weeks a year. If this shit goes too long (I'm hoping I can take a nice long trip in September, but who knows) and I cannot take my vacation this year (I had to cancel two weeks in Spain in April, a week in Paria in May so far), then due to these extraordinary circumstances, they will either need to let me roll it or pay me out.

Definitely don't work for the govt.
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh.  Fuck.

Randy Quaid used to border jump between Quebec and Vermont all the time. Border seems porous. 

21 hours ago, utee94 said:

There are some industries-- like mine-- that are booming right now, BECAUSE of the coronavirus...

Pay-per-view webcam sex?

[mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] better get your daughter home now, or she's gonna have to stay. 

We’re monitoring. Fuck.
Plan is for her to come home Monday. We’ll see what the plan looks like. We’re hoping they leaned from the Europe debacle, and will make it clear that citizens can repatriate. Of course, the challenge then may be whether there are any flights. We’ll see what happens. And we’ll figure it out.

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We’re monitoring. Fuck.
Plan is for her to come home Monday. We’ll see what the plan looks like. We’re hoping they leaned from the Europe debacle, and will make it clear that citizens can repatriate. Of course, the challenge then may be whether there are any flights. We’ll see what happens. And we’ll figure it out.

not trying to be a smartass here man, but Monday is too late.  Trump gave the world 48 hours when he shutdown Europe flights.  assuming 48 hours is the norm and they announce tomorrow..... yeah, Monday isnt gonna work.  

time to have the big girl talk.   either A) she accepts her fate and stays in Canada, possibly for the next 6 months, or B) she has to come home,  (and its entirely possible she cant return to Canada until 2021).... in which case she needs to be on a flight  here no later than Thursday 

shes got to make that decision, but its gotta be done in the next few hours. 

not trying to be a smartass here man, but Monday is too late.  Trump gave the world 48 hours when he shutdown Europe flights.  assuming 48 hours is the norm and they announce tomorrow..... yeah, Monday isnt gonna work.  
time to have the big girl talk.   either A) she accepts her fate and stays in Canada, possibly for the next 6 months, or B) she has to come home,  (and its entirely possible she cant return to Canada until 2021).... in which case she needs to be on a flight  here no later than Thursday 
shes got to make that decision, but its gotta be done in the next few hours. 

I’ve already done a bit of homework on this, and it’s not a unilateral announcement by trump (so, with no thought or planning). It’s a bilateral deal WITH Canada, and it is expected both to have some window of time for rollout as well as significant flexibility. If we need to pull a trigger, we can probably get her home with 24 hours notice, but we’re trying to avoid flipping her the hell out as well. Trying to stay steady and calm. All of us.
  • Like 2