Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

She needs to be in Maine by tomorrow night with all of her important belongings. That’ll buy you plenty of time to create a plan

No, not going to flip out. Staying steady, will likely move up her departure date. Looks like Canadian carriers are expecting to operate routes through Sunday. I suspect the deal will reflect that.

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

repatriation counts as essential.  thats been the criteria for every border shutdown in europe.  and actually the same statement from whitehouse as well

Yes US citizens and green card holders are almost always exempt from these travel bans.  And Canadian citizens  the other way 

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

repatriation counts as essential.  thats been the criteria for every border shutdown in europe.  and actually the same statement from whitehouse as well

This. In all of the testimony I viewed during virus hearings, there were no plans to prohibit Americans from returning from any country. A passenger might be screened depending upon flight origin. Having a plan ready to implement is good, but no need to panic.

Just now, Mrs Whiggins said:

This. In all of the testimony I viewed during virus hearings, there were no plans to prohibit Americans from returning from any country. A passenger might be screened depending upon flight origin. Having a plan ready to implement is good, but no need to panic.

Might need to self quarantine depending on where from, but they will not prohibit US citizens and green card holders from returning. That would set a horrible precedent to abandon your citizens and lawful permanent residents abroad 

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

and also they restrict return through 13 airports.  for example DFW is included, but IAH is not.  most major intl airports are allowed for repatriatio

7 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

just stay on top of this webpage, and i think the department of state as well

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/16/department-homeland-security-outlines-new-process-americans-returning-schengen-area

Exactly.

Goddamit, I want my girl home.  She's gotta do what she's gotta do.  But I'm there.  I want her to come home.  Sigh.

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

Get her a flight ASAP 

Well, we don't know that the flights will be.  So let's let them settle.  And one thing we want to avoid is putting her in a massive crush of people coming home at once -- I don't want her traveling through the mess that ORD was a week ago.  There are still flights coming in from Paris, and that's an area on lockdown.  There will continue to be flight options from Canada.  They may not be ideal schedules, but we'll be able to get her home.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Canadian flights are all being screened ?

Once the governments finalize their travel limitation deal, I expect they'll be treated like flights in from the Schengen area -- have to transit through specific US airports, and must be screened.  Her screening should be fine.  She's been in Montreal the whole time, and isn't aware of having been exposed to anyone who has tested positive.  Montreal still has a low case density.

She'll come home, and have to self-quarantine for a period.

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Canadian flights are all being screened ?

I think that is only for European inbounds (at the moment).  I think Little Brisket can fly directly from Canada to Austin without having to through one of the 13 designated screening airports. 

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Exactly.

Goddamit, I want my girl home.  She's gotta do what she's gotta do.  But I'm there.  I want her to come home.  Sigh.

Hey,

Obviously I don't know you or your family, but this is gonna be ok.  This is part of maturation process for your daughter.  Should be an adventure and I would phrase it as such with my kids in this situation.   It's not like you're trying to get her out of Syria...  it's Canada.  Worse comes to worse have her buy a beater and drive home. 

Disclaimer: I don't know how Canadians will react if Tim Horton's closes.  Definitely get her out before hockey season though.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

I think that is only for European inbounds (at the moment).  I think Little Brisket can fly directly from Canada to Austin without having to through one of the 13 designated screening airports. 

Today, yes.  In a couple of days, who knows.  But we'll be able to get her home.

And yes, this will be a defining experience in her young life - and I know she's far from alone in that respect.  This is going to be a defining event of this century, and for several generations.  She will get home.  She will be okay.  Almost all of us will, eventually.  We cannot go around this, we must go THROUGH it.

4 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

If she can get to Houston, I can get her to Austin or we meet buccees giddings ?

juat tell her you set up an Uber 

We can get her in Houston or DFW -- we know the way.  Just making sure everyone takes deep breaths and stays cool.  She'll be able to repatriate, and we'll be deliberate in how we figure that out.

24 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Do not do any of the above suggestions. :)

Ain't my first Surly rodeo.  The only pics I post around here are of food.

Have only traded texts with her thus far today.  She seems calm.  The university did just finally send out the message of "if you CAN move out of the dorms soon, you probably should."  So, it's time.  I suspect we'll have her home by this weekend.

• Like 2

Curious if any of you have had luck with United waving cancellation fees specifically with respect to miles flights? I have a trip the last week in May I've pretty much given up on. Per the standard policy, I can cancel any time and get all my miles back, but have to pay a $125 fee. Any luck getting this fee waived? 

This is when I start to get worried, when travel threads get to pure logistics and getting home, instead of an excuse to post elite mileage status when nobody asked.  

35 minutes ago, Lobo said:

This is when I start to get worried, when travel threads get to pure logistics and getting home, instead of an excuse to post elite mileage status when nobody asked.  

On the bright side airlines are probably going to have to make it easier to attain elite status especially since they've been pushing hard the opposite direction the past 18 months or so.

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

If i had to guess everyone's 2020 status is going to rollover to 2021.

edit: assuming we make it to 2021. 

Thank god, we were terribly worried about so many of those folks.  Social distancing will only reinforce my belief that mileage status is bullshit.  Itinerary/flight duration is king.  

1 hour ago, Telegraph_it said:

If i had to guess everyone's 2020 status is going to rollover to 2021.

edit: assuming we make it to 2021. 

Yeah I think so, Hilton sent out a note saying something about this but I did not pay that much attention to it. 

Well, to the extent that y'all have chimed in and care about the saga of the daughter in Canada -- the dorms are urging everyone to leave, and have now banned ALL contact in the dorm.  So, she can't even visit with one friend at a time.  Everyone is bailing, and she's upped her timetable.

She's boxing everything up tonight and tomorrow morning.  She and a friend are renting a van to haul all of their stuff over to the apartment they're leasing tomorrow afternoon (lease starts April 1, they are going to sublet to friends for a period, and the folks there now are fellow students, and have an extra room and don't care if they start storing stuff there on Friday).  Booking her on a flight out Friday afternoon -- AA, through O'Hare.  Current intel is that all these flights have very few passengers, airports are damned near empty.  American runs that route several times a day, so if they reduce the flights, she'll still be able to get on one of them.  We should get her home on Friday night.

And yeah, I'll breathe a sigh of relief when she's home.  She did say that since Whataburger drive thru is open, she will need a greasy burger of consolation on the way home.  Deal.

• Like 4

Well, to the extent that y'all have chimed in and care about the saga of the daughter in Canada -- the dorms are urging everyone to leave, and have now banned ALL contact in the dorm.  So, she can't even visit with one friend at a time.  Everyone is bailing, and she's upped her timetable.
She's boxing everything up tonight and tomorrow morning.  She and a friend are renting a van to haul all of their stuff over to the apartment they're leasing tomorrow afternoon (lease starts April 1, they are going to sublet to friends for a period, and the folks there now are fellow students, and have an extra room and don't care if they start storing stuff there on Friday).  Booking her on a flight out Friday afternoon -- AA, through O'Hare.  Current intel is that all these flights have very few passengers, airports are damned near empty.  American runs that route several times a day, so if they reduce the flights, she'll still be able to get on one of them.  We should get her home on Friday night.
And yeah, I'll breathe a sigh of relief when she's home.  She did say that since Whataburger drive thru is open, she will need a greasy burger of consolation on the way home.  Deal.

This reminds me of Argo.

But seriously, good luck to her and your family.

Talked to folks that flew through Houston and Vegas today and both said they were literally the only people in the security line at the respective times they arrived at the airports. Hard for me to wrap my head around that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, C-Man said:

Just saw the Hawaiian governor is shutting down travel to Hawai'i. My kids are there with my ex, supposed to come home tomorrow. The story said nothing about not letting people leave so I think they're good to get home (I hope).

My parents are there too. I have asked them to stay longer since they are at risk given their age (70+). Original flight was supposed to be next Monday but waiting to see....

20 hours ago, C-Man said:

Just saw the Hawaiian governor is shutting down travel to Hawai'i. My kids are there with my ex, supposed to come home tomorrow. The story said nothing about not letting people leave so I think they're good to get home (I hope).

Daughter and son-in-law live there. It is a recommendation/ask for people to not come there, not a flight shutdown.  Kauai mayor has said he is “restricting” air travel to that island to people with essential needs.  I believe that restricting Flights can only be done by the federal government.

2 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

Daughter and son-in-law live there. It is a recommendation/ask for people to not come there, not a flight shutdown.  Kauai mayor has said he is “restricting” air travel to that island to people with essential needs.  I believe that restricting Flights can only be done by the federal government.

The mayor (or police chief or someone) of Guayaquil says watch me. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Well put together a freestyle to be performed by Derka.

Can you give us the cliffs notes version to this point?  Why didn't you just get her home whenever the hell you wanted or anytime within the last week or so?  Why the big long drawn out drama fest?  Was she being held there against her will or something?  I'm sure you discussed it at some point, but too much to weed through to try to find it.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Can you give us the cliffs notes version to this point?  Why didn't you just get her home whenever the hell you wanted or anytime within the last week or so?  Why the big long drawn out drama fest?  Was she being held there against her will or something?  I'm sure you discussed it at some point, but too much to weed through to try to find it.

She's made Montreal and the residence her home.  That's where her friends and network are, she wanted to stay.  It wasn't until they required the students to stay apart from each other, and then decided to shut down the dorms, that she decided she wanted to come home.

And we didn't want to hover, freak out, tell her she HAD to come home, etc.  She is learning to be an adult, she needs to make her own decisions.  She DOES have friends who are staying, but they're all people who live in an apartment.  Montreal is a safe place to hunker down, so for the sake of her safety, it wouldn't be a bad decision to stay there.  AND, seeing the crazy crush on the airports when people all tried to come back from Europe, we didn't want her to go through that.  Finally, she had to find her apartment for next year (found it on Saturday), and needs to move her stuff into the spare bedroom (it's being sublet by friends) from her dorm room -- she's doing that today.

So, she's on what looks to be a lightly booked flight tomorrow.  Not thrilled about her transiting through airports, but with the limited number of people around, the risk seems low.  She's coming home because morale is at rock bottom up there.  When you lose all of your friends, and your home isn't really usable any more, it's time to seek greener pastures.  So there we are.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well tell her not to be cool and tik tok herself licking the airplane toilet seat. Fucking kids 

We told her to be kind to all of the airline personnel, thank them for helping her get home, and to tell them that we'll see them on the other side of this.

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

BREAKING: The State Department will tell Americans abroad to return home or prepare to shelter in place, applying its strongest travel advisory amid a global pandemic.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/19/coronavirus-travel-advisory-level-four-137227

The exclamation point on the decision to return home.  She departs in a little over 24 hours.  Of course, I'm now concerned that this will create a second mad dash for all airports.  Fuck.

Edited by Brisketexan