Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

To be clear, when it has come to refunds and credits and all that for the 10 or so flights I cancelled, American was terrific.   And I think how they addressed the AAdvantage stuff was fair.  I am definitely taking advantage of the million miler credit card credits this year.  I didn't mean to slam them generally, but I do think that the better they do in communicating and building trust, the sooner people will be buying more tickets on their airline.

Looks like Canada is extending its tight border procedures through the end of July. So, only essential travel or those with a permit (like a student visa), but even then, they have to quarantine for 14 days. Thinking that may extend through August, too. So, we won’t be heading up to help the girl move in to her place. Such is life these days.

Looks like Canada is extending its tight border procedures through the end of July. So, only essential travel or those with a permit (like a student visa), but even then, they have to quarantine for 14 days. Thinking that may extend through August, too. So, we won’t be heading up to help the girl move in to her place. Such is life these days.

Well that’s just great.

On 5/12/2020 at 5:53 PM, Mach 1 said:

Hawaii is booking up for the summer.

We rebooked our Spring Break Maui trip for mid July.  All ocean front rooms already booked through September.

14 day quarantine supposed to end at the end of the month.  I don't see them extending, they need the tourism dollars.

Nice call, dumbass. 

• Like 4

Nice call, dumbass. 

When Hawaii reopens it will only reopen gradually to places that have low COVID rates (Japan, NZ, Korea , etc). They dont have hospital capacity for an uncontrolled out break and have to be careful.
US doesn’t fit the bill yet. Could be a long wait for them to reopen to tourists.
But you’re right, they’re highly dependent on tourism.

16 minutes ago, TxTower said:

When Hawaii reopens it will only reopen gradually to places that have low COVID rates (Japan, NZ, Korea , etc). They dont have hospital capacity for an uncontrolled out break and have to be careful.
US doesn’t fit the bill yet. Could be a long wait for them to reopen to tourists.

85544920171214135148.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TxTower said:

Gonna be sad when a US state rightfully opens to foreign tourism before letting US citizens vacation there.

1 hour ago, TxTower said:

I think you should go to Guam before it capsizes.

Lesson learned though - try to post something to help Mach 1 and anyone else who might be thinking about a trip to HI and you get Pooh thrown at you. This place is turning into TexAgs.

Seizing an opportunity to throw in a well-timed movie quote before some other asshole does is a Surly moral imperative, and hardly qualifies as flinging Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, or even Eeyore.  Besides, I started this thread.  I can do what I want. 

51 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Seizing an opportunity to throw in a well-timed movie quote before some other asshole does is a Surly moral imperative, and hardly qualifies as flinging Pooh, Tigger, Piglet, or even Eeyore.  Besides, I started this thread.  I can do what I want. 

Well with your bad knee Ed, you shouldn’t throw anybody. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Gonna be sad when a US state rightfully opens to foreign tourism before letting US citizens vacation there.

True but to be fair those other countries are having more success in fighting COVID because they’re used to fighting these things and able to physically isolate themselves as an island or peninsula. After waves of different viruses over the years, masks, social distancing, contact tracing, quarantines are all pretty much accepted in countries that live in the shadow of China. We have yet to fully adjust to the new reality of global pandemics.

Moronic logic. Let in 100 Americans who are healthy. Or let in 1 foreign tourist who is sick. You have a 50 50 proposition. Either you have it or you don't.

Throw in the issue of barring Americans from travel on their own country. Surprised it hasn't been a constitutional issue yet

4 hours ago, TxTower said:

I think you should go to Guam before it capsizes.

Lesson learned though - try to post something to help Mach 1 and anyone else who might be thinking about a trip to HI and you get Pooh thrown at you. This place is turning into TexAgs.

Who the fuck says "pooh?" Are you some kind of fuck suffering from a fornicating mental handicap?

"if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you."

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kevwun said:

That's why it's good to have a second passport.

Not many countries like the US these days...

...but Argentina has been quarantining like mother fucking NINJAS!!

Who the fuck says "pooh?" Are you some kind of fuck suffering from a fornicating mental handicap?

"if you are afraid of your fucking feelings getting hurt this isn't the website for you."

It’s a reference to texags that predates your joining this site in 2018. Long timers may get it - newbies like you - probably not.

So internet tough guy - what kind of douche names themselves “thunderlounge” anyway? You should just change it to “Music for Bottle Service”.

Hope this doesn’t hurt your feelings. If it does, maybe this site isn’t for you.

1 hour ago, TxTower said:

It’s a reference to texags that predates your joining this site in 2018. Long timers may get it - newbies like you - probably not.

So internet tough guy - what kind of douche names themselves “thunderlounge” anyway? You should just change it to “Music for Bottle Service”.

Hope this doesn’t hurt your feelings. If it does, maybe this site isn’t for you.

what the fuck crawled up your goddamn ass? you obviously have issues, and no sense of humor. have fun in your moms basement, and tell her hello. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, TxTower said:

Technically, he joined THIS site before you, and he was on Shaggy. He’s not a newbie.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TxTower said:

Didn’t we ALL join this site in 2018?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, justhookit said:

Technically, he joined THIS site before you, and he was on Shaggy. He’s not a newbie.

I know, right? And who is that familiar with texags, anyway? Sounds a bit suspicious to me. Better keep an eye out.

2 hours ago, After irth said:

Didn’t we ALL join this site in 2018?

Forget it. He's rolling.

• Haha 1

Well Cambodia has thrown up a huge roadblock to tourists which was my primary reason for going to SE Asia.    Lets see if they drop that requirement before October.  I don't mind the $3k deposit but the one person positive on your flight is the one that screws it all up.

Cambodia Entry Requirements, COVID-19 Testing, and Quarantine:On June 10, authorities announced a requirement that all foreign travelers entering Cambodia pay a deposit of $3,000 upon arrival at airports for mandatory COVID-19 testing and potential treatment services.  On June 8, authorities released a fee schedule for these testing and treatment services. Travelers should be prepared to see this deposit applied to a minimum of $165 for mandatory COVID-19 testing, approximately $1,281 more to support quarantine in the event one or more passengers on their flight test positive, and a minimum of approximately $3,255 more for treatment and quarantine if the traveler tests positive. The Embassy recommends all travelers be prepared upon entry into Cambodia to pay for the full costs identified in the fee schedule.

Edited by midtown

So Canada has all but confirmed extending the border closure through July.  Looks like we are headed back to Lake Winnipessauke in lieu of Banff.  Thoughts on side trips?  How is Boston/Cape Cod/RI doing currently?   Had hoped if we went that way we could drive to Quebec City but with the border closed that's a no go.

The DEN leg of my flight to JAC was upgauged to a 753 from an A319. Seems like people are starting to fly again. 
I've talked to many people that are flying now and reports are flights are full or almost full. Not sure if that is due to limited flights or a lot of people saying F It, I'm flying.

7 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

So Canada has all but confirmed extending the border closure through July.  Looks like we are headed back to Lake Winnipessauke in lieu of Banff.  Thoughts on side trips?  How is Boston/Cape Cod/RI doing currently?   Had hoped if we went that way we could drive to Quebec City but with the border closed that's a no go.

I'd hit the Berkshires.

On 6/3/2020 at 4:04 PM, AngryDragon said:

Hoping things will be under control enough to lift the 2 week quarantine by late fourth quarter. Was planning to spend another 2-3 months traveling around Asia playing golf and visiting friends in Korea/Thailand. 

Thailand has had no domestic cases for over 3 weeks now. A few single digit cases each week are imported cases found in quarantine from Thais that are repatriating.

Thailand has been receiving repatriation flights for months, and just opened back up to those with work permits 2wk ago, and likely soon to open to those with family in country next month, but general opening for other tourists has just been postponed another month, end of July at the soonest now. Those with work permits must apply for permission to land with their local embassy. That application requires proof of insurance coverage over $100k USD including Covid treatment, as well as other documentation.

Any Thai arriving now is placed in mandatory 14day State Quarantine for free; non-Thais are not eligible for this and must pay out of pocket for Alternative State Quarantine (ASQ), and the current list of hotels offering ASQ is short and costs are fairly high (roughly double the cost of a normal 14day stay at the same hotel). Couples cannot quarantine together, which really makes no sense, but dependent children can quarantine with a parent. Home quarantine is not an option for Thais or non-Thais (I assume they don't trust anyone to properly quarantine at home, which is probably prudent.)

Attached the current ASQ list as of time of posting:

471424906_quarantinehotelpricing.thumb.jpg.421f0db8f5803e129394d7059af105ec.jpg

There has been talk of some sort of fast-track entry, targeted at business travelers, that would allow less quarantine if arriving from certain "safe" countries and showing negative Covid tests. This is just starting to be floated and there are no real details and no real enthusiasm for this idea yet.

At this point there isn't much enthusiasm for allowing foreign tourism back in, though there certainly are plenty of businesses that are asking for it. Recent polls say about 20% of people favor allowing quick return of foreign tourists. That said, end of the year is the time frame most are saying for tourism, so it may still line up with your late 4Q goal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
On 6/13/2020 at 11:56 AM, Telegraph_it said:
The DEN leg of my flight to JAC was upgauged to a 753 from an A319. Seems like people are starting to fly again. 

I've talked to many people that are flying now and reports are flights are full or almost full. Not sure if that is due to limited flights or a lot of people saying F It, I'm flying.

You're correct.  Flights are going out as full as they can be lot more often now, with most but not all middle seats empty.  There's definitely more people flying now but mainly the flights are so full because of all the airplanes that are parked in the desert right at the moment.  

6 hours ago, Your Mom said:

You're correct.  Flights are going out as full as they can be lot more often now, with most but not all middle seats empty.  There's definitely more people flying now but mainly the flights are so full because of all the airplanes that are parked in the desert right at the moment.  

And I’m on a 772 now. Looks like there is still only 4 flights between IAH-DEN. 

The 772 with the backward facing biz seats. Helps spread the Rona better. 

Edited by Telegraph_it

Don't read this thread often, so curious as to what the consensus is on non-essential domestic travel?  Wife is wanting to take a trip back to Austin at end of July.  Would stay in a trusted friend's RV.  Emotionally I would say 'yes,' but something on the logic side says that maybe that's a stupid idea on my part. 

55 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Don't read this thread often, so curious as to what the consensus is on non-essential domestic travel?  Wife is wanting to take a trip back to Austin at end of July.  Would stay in a trusted friend's RV.  Emotionally I would say 'yes,' but something on the logic side says that maybe that's a stupid idea on my part. 

I guess it just depends on your own risk-tolerance and level of comfort.  Several people on surlyhorns are currently embarked on RV roadtrips across the country.  I'm headed to stay in a hotel in Fredericksburg this weekend and have campsites booked at Garner State Park throughout much of July.

I'd be fine with your plan, but if you're uncomfortable then you probably shouldn't go, it might inhibit your ability to enjoy yourself.

Also, I don't think of anything in terms of "essential" or "non-essential" travel.  Texas is open, the genie's out of the bottle and there's no putting it back.  At this point, it's up to you, to take measures to protect yourself and your family, if you are worried about exposure.

• Like 1

Iceland is ready for you fools if you're negative 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/iceland-reopens-coronavirus/index.html

Before entering Iceland, travelers must wear a mask on flights and within the arrival halls of Keflavik Airport. On landing, they join a new queue for nose and throat swabs to filter out anyone who might be carrying Covid-19. 
This can be an unsettling experience. It involves being ushered into a cubicle where two people dressed in full medical protective gear use long plastic sticks to prod much deeper than you might expect to take a sample.

From July 1, when Iceland opens up to countries beyond the European Union's Schengen Zone, visitors will have to pay $114 for this process.

Results come by text message several hours later. If positive, visitors must enter quarantine for 14 days regardless of any plans they might have for their visit. There's also the option of forgoing the test and going straight to quarantine

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

I guess it just depends on your own risk-tolerance and level of comfort.  Several people on surlyhorns are currently embarked on RV roadtrips across the country.  I'm headed to stay in a hotel in Fredericksburg this weekend and have campsites booked at Garner State Park throughout much of July.

I'd be fine with your plan, but if you're uncomfortable then you probably shouldn't go, it might inhibit your ability to enjoy yourself.

Also, I don't think of anything in terms of "essential" or "non-essential" travel.  Texas is open, the genie's out of the bottle and there's no putting it back.  At this point, it's up to you, to take measures to protect yourself and your family, if you are worried about exposure.

Thank you for the reply. I wouldn't be going, due to reasons.  But I just read the latest Austin covid numbers, and yeah, I'd be worried about a bunch.  Pretty sure I might preemptively nix this one.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Thank you for the reply. I wouldn't be going, due to reasons.  But I just read the latest Austin covid numbers, and yeah, I'd be worried about a bunch.  Pretty sure I might preemptively nix this one.

You have to do what makes you comfortable.  It wouldn't make any sense to take a trip if it's nothing but worry the entire time.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You have to do what makes you comfortable.  It wouldn't make any sense to take a trip if it's nothing but worry the entire time.

We are going to fly to the West Coast in a couple of weeks.  We will be staying at a small beach hotel.  The pool is closed.  The beach is only open for activity (walking, surfing, swimming -- no hanging around in groups).  We will be meeting some of our other family, who have all been similarly "locked down" as we have in recent weeks/months.  Yes, there is clearly some incremental risk in each of these activities, but we'll be wearing masks like crazy, sanitizing our hands when we've been out in public/on a plane/etc.  And even though we'll be among family, we'll be taking reasonable social distancing measures -- mostly visiting outside (southern California pleasant weather FTW), not hugging, etc.  But everyone has to figure their own risk tolerance.