Coronavirus Impact on Travel

idigTexas

8 hours ago, kevwun said:

Parts of Big Bend are being closed back down, I have a feeling we won't be going there in October.  We should be at the airport this morning for our flight to Belize. 

Yes, just heard this.  Alpine has 22 cases confirmed.  Marfa had its first this past weekend.  I'm sure the influx of travelers and the Amtrak stop there in Alpine contributed to that.  There are 25 hospital beds and fewer ventilators for a region of about 15k.  Presidio and Marfa all depend on that Alpine Medical Center.  

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

We are going to fly to the West Coast in a couple of weeks.  We will be staying at a small beach hotel.  The pool is closed.  The beach is only open for activity (walking, surfing, swimming -- no hanging around in groups).  We will be meeting some of our other family, who have all been similarly "locked down" as we have in recent weeks/months.  Yes, there is clearly some incremental risk in each of these activities, but we'll be wearing masks like crazy, sanitizing our hands when we've been out in public/on a plane/etc.  And even though we'll be among family, we'll be taking reasonable social distancing measures -- mostly visiting outside (southern California pleasant weather FTW), not hugging, etc.  But everyone has to figure their own risk tolerance.

I'll be testing my risk tolerance and human-aversion greatly in Fredericksburg this weekend.  I don't really like being around people even under the best of circumstances. :)

But, my kids wanted to do this for Father's Day.  We went last year for Mother's Day and had  great time.  It'll be interesting to see how open/closed places are, and how masked up people are.  I'm well on-record as being fully on team OpenItUp but if a bunch of MFers are open-mouth-breathing all up in my space, I'll be making a super-quick exit.  The good news is, they allow you to carry booze up and down the drag in The Burg, so I don't have to be near another MFer if I don't want to be.

I've definitely got some extra-large vats of hand sanitizer though.  Might even carry a daypack to keep it on my person at all times.

38 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Yes, just heard this.  Alpine has 22 cases confirmed.  Marfa had its first this past weekend.  I'm sure the influx of travelers and the Amtrak stop there in Alpine contributed to that.  There are 25 hospital beds and fewer ventilators for a region of about 15k.  Presidio and Marfa all depend on that Alpine Medical Center.  

I thought it closed? Maybe they just declared bankruptcy. I used to love calling on that place because it was a great excuse to travel around out there. 

7 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Don't read this thread often, so curious as to what the consensus is on non-essential domestic travel?  Wife is wanting to take a trip back to Austin at end of July.  Would stay in a trusted friend's RV.  Emotionally I would say 'yes,' but something on the logic side says that maybe that's a stupid idea on my part. 

I drove down to Dallas from Long Island and back again last month. I’m driving to Syracuse tomorrow, Albany next week, Amtrak to Philly and then flying to McAllen, TX for work. From there I will fly to Dallas and stay 6/30 - 7/16. My employer makes me quarantine for 2 weeks if I get on a plane. I’m not making that drive again so they can pound sand.

I wouldn’t feel guilty at all. Life has to resume at some point.

Iceland is ready for you fools if you're negative 
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/iceland-reopens-coronavirus/index.html
Before entering Iceland, travelers must wear a mask on flights and within the arrival halls of Keflavik Airport. On landing, they join a new queue for nose and throat swabs to filter out anyone who might be carrying Covid-19.  This can be an unsettling experience. It involves being ushered into a cubicle where two people dressed in full medical protective gear use long plastic sticks to prod much deeper than you might expect to take a sample.   From July 1, when Iceland opens up to countries beyond the European Union's Schengen Zone, visitors will have to pay $114 for this process.   Results come by text message several hours later. If positive, visitors must enter quarantine for 14 days regardless of any plans they might have for their visit. There's also the option of forgoing the test and going straight to quarantine

Lived it

aa842e13911879ec4b2dd47c2aa0f138.plist
c2bf191291813655fa28057ce72e031a.plist
edf77d4f0f2ad66eaf52f1d24d694791.plist
ce8baadb97f5473f1125f11c60718ddb.plist
24f4b8ef0ac186ded1eec184ace92d14.plist
67b9b6877d51c7a5c5a336a1b22e288c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Good times man, I went to Iceland in 2018. Great trip aside from the $30 cheeseburgers and $12 beers. 

We stopped at KFC because we were on week 2 of a Paris, Berlin, London and Iceland trip. $63 for what would be 3 $5 fill up meals. We rented a camper van. Gas prices sucked

eb60a21b3eb54ae51995951e61ce9cfa.jpg

2 day rental for a 4X4 was $383.00.

Still reeling. We stocked up at Costco in Reykjavik. Best decision we made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We are going to fly to the West Coast in a couple of weeks.  We will be staying at a small beach hotel.  The pool is closed.  The beach is only open for activity (walking, surfing, swimming -- no hanging around in groups).  We will be meeting some of our other family, who have all been similarly "locked down" as we have in recent weeks/months.  Yes, there is clearly some incremental risk in each of these activities, but we'll be wearing masks like crazy, sanitizing our hands when we've been out in public/on a plane/etc.  And even though we'll be among family, we'll be taking reasonable social distancing measures -- mostly visiting outside (southern California pleasant weather FTW), not hugging, etc.  But everyone has to figure their own risk tolerance.

Officially canceled flight to Calgary and hotels in Banff and Calgary today.

Rebooked to Boston for same time frame. Going to stay with friends for a few days on Lake Winnipesaukee and Cape Cod for the rest.

3 hours ago, Spankytoes said:

I drove down to Dallas from Long Island and back again last month. I’m driving to Syracuse tomorrow, Albany next week, Amtrak to Philly and then flying to McAllen, TX for work. From there I will fly to Dallas and stay 6/30 - 7/16. My employer makes me quarantine for 2 weeks if I get on a plane. I’m not making that drive again so they can pound sand.

Might as well stay at Saphire or Isla Grande for a few days on S. Padre while near McAllen.  

16 hours ago, 6th Street said:

Iceland is ready for you fools if you're negative 

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/iceland-reopens-coronavirus/index.html

Before entering Iceland, travelers must wear a mask on flights and within the arrival halls of Keflavik Airport. On landing, they join a new queue for nose and throat swabs to filter out anyone who might be carrying Covid-19. 
This can be an unsettling experience. It involves being ushered into a cubicle where two people dressed in full medical protective gear use long plastic sticks to prod much deeper than you might expect to take a sample.

From July 1, when Iceland opens up to countries beyond the European Union's Schengen Zone, visitors will have to pay $114 for this process.

Results come by text message several hours later. If positive, visitors must enter quarantine for 14 days regardless of any plans they might have for their visit. There's also the option of forgoing the test and going straight to quarantine

This is solid logical practice. I hope similar "test or quarantine" policies spread to other countries. I have travel postponed (outbound from Thailand) simply due to mandatory 14day quarantines at any of my destinations, and then again when I return. Losing 28 days to quarantine on every trip is a non-starter. If I could pay and get tested and skip quarantine (or even test and get shortened quarantine, if there is fear of a false negative test within first 3-5 days of exposure) I'd be back to traveling immediately. And at least for Thailand, the cost of the test is less than the cost of ~3 days of quarantine, so even if it only shortens the quarantine by 7 days, I'd still save money paying for the test.

I got tested 3wk ago as a requirement before an elective surgery, and it is distinctly uncomfortable, the nose swab needs to go pretty far up and then needs to swab pretty hard. It's fast though, only takes seconds for nose and seconds for throat. Had watery eyes for a minute after the nose swab, and just gagged a couple times on the throat swab.

The wife wanted to cancel our Thanksgiving trip to the Caribbean and do it in August instead.  Her thinking is that during the summer the virus will be lower than a potential flare-up in the Fall/Winter.

BUT . . . I see that per Google Flights American is flying the 737 Max from Miami to St. Maarten.  I was surprised to see this and learned that the 737 Max is scheduled to go back into service in June or July.  Which is interesting, since I wasn't aware Boeing had fixed anything on the plane.  Anyone know anything about this?

32 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

The wife wanted to cancel our Thanksgiving trip to the Caribbean and do it in August instead.  Her thinking is that during the summer the virus will be lower than a potential flare-up in the Fall/Winter.

BUT . . . I see that per Google Flights American is flying the 737 Max from Miami to St. Maarten.  I was surprised to see this and learned that the 737 Max is scheduled to go back into service in June or July.  Which is interesting, since I wasn't aware Boeing had fixed anything on the plane.  Anyone know anything about this?

I think that you should fly a 737 Max to a COVID hotspot during a race riot, to go full "fuck it, it's 2020."

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

i believe the disengaged the autopilot shit that was prone to stall the planes leading to fantastic pyrotechnic show upon landing.

plus, it's not the plane that kills you, it's the ground. damn ground, why you gotta be so hard.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, utee94 said:

I'll be testing my risk tolerance and human-aversion greatly in Fredericksburg this weekend.  I don't really like being around people even under the best of circumstances. :)

But, my kids wanted to do this for Father's Day.  We went last year for Mother's Day and had  great time.  It'll be interesting to see how open/closed places are, and how masked up people are.  I'm well on-record as being fully on team OpenItUp but if a bunch of MFers are open-mouth-breathing all up in my space, I'll be making a super-quick exit.  The good news is, they allow you to carry booze up and down the drag in The Burg, so I don't have to be near another MFer if I don't want to be.

I've definitely got some extra-large vats of hand sanitizer though.  Might even carry a daypack to keep it on my person at all times.

I did this a couple of weeks ago.  Prepare for disappointment.  Most restaurants/bars are open, but at limited capacity and social distancing is suggested, but not followed by anyone.  Mask usage was probably 20%.  I stayed out on the sidewalk with my free lone star and did my best to stay away from the clown show.

22 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

pretty predictable...i think i predicted it on this thread.

Yeah, that was easy to see.  Shit, our friend overseas (who had talked about visiting us here) told us a month ago when they cancelled, that's why -- their country wasn't likely to let them back in after being in the US.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:57 PM, 6th Street said:

Good times man, I went to Iceland in 2018. Great trip aside from the $30 cheeseburgers and $12 beers. 

Sounds a lot like Grand Cayman. Beers at the hotel were like $10. Best best was to go find a liquor store and buy a case of the local swill, Cay Brew. That will still run you $50 or so. A case of shitty American beer is closer to $60.

12 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Yeah.....some of us may be sweating this out (we're heading to Virginia in a couple of weeks).....we actually picked it because 1) we're all clean and have been quite conservative (some of us have tested negative very recently), and Va. is not a hotspot (and, we'll be largely isolating when we're there).  I'd hate to have to sneak into the state by car.....but we can if we have to.

10 minutes ago, DDD Dad said:

Well shit.  I was afraid of this.  Fingers crossed Mass. and NH don't follow suit (not holding out much hope though).

Aren't you driving?  I doubt they'll have checkpoints set up on the roads.  And you can avoid the revenuers by taking the back roads like them Duke boys.

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Aren't you driving?  I doubt they'll have checkpoints set up on the roads.  And you can avoid the revenuers by taking the back roads like them Duke boys.

Might have to now.  We are currently set to fly into Boston (paid for first to reduce exposure).

Of course that still screws up schedule if we drove; I have hearings and mediations the week I get back.  Although I could just participate in the car.

smokey+bandit+burt+sally_opt.jpg

Edited by DDD Dad

On 6/19/2020 at 9:01 AM, Brisketexan said:

I think that you should fly a 737 Max to a COVID hotspot during a race riot, to go full "fuck it, it's 2020."

On 6/19/2020 at 12:38 PM, DDD Dad said:

What do you have to lose?

Love this.  And purposely book a middle seat in the back row on your way to Mexico City or NYC and rub your mask in as many TSA bins as possible.     As soon as the plane hits turbulence, start snorting lines of Hydroxychloroquine off your tray table, look across the aisle at the middle-aged woman looking at you in disapproving fashion, point to her, and yell, "This is for you Karen!  You ask to see the Manager...I am your fucking manager, Karen!"  Get off the plane, walk up to the bank of ground transportation drivers holding signs for their various passengers, and unfold your massive posterboard in your backpack that says, "NO LIVES MATTER 2020" and yell to the terminal, "Let's fucking do this!" as you crack open a pint of everclear booze.  But hey, if you can save $70 on a round-trip ticket, isn't it all worth it?  

On 6/18/2020 at 7:42 PM, Spankytoes said:

Yeah, about that. 

Edited by mdmost

We’ve gone from Italy, to a tour of western national parks, and now it looks like we are going to spend about 2 weeks in a remote cabin near Cashiers, NC.  Never been, looks nice, kinda pumped about it.  We’re driving there and back from DFW.

Cashiers is great. I went to summer camp there for several years growing up. Have friends with places in Wildcat Cliffs nearby.
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

How do they enforce these interstate quarantines?
“Yep, sure thing Governor! I’m headed to my isolated cabin for the next 14 days!” [Drives to Atlantic City...]

Wasn’t Texas having troopers check in periodically? 

14 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

How do they enforce these interstate quarantines?
“Yep, sure thing Governor! I’m headed to my isolated cabin for the next 14 days!” [Drives to Atlantic City...]

DPS Troopers were greeting all passengers at the jetway and collecting the forms with the address at which quarantine would take place.  The threat was that there would be random checks throughout the 2 weeks to make sure you were at that address.  Not sure if that part ever actually happened.

Since the lockdown, I've been to the airport 4 times to pick up friends and family.   Each flight landed approximately an hour earlier than scheduled.  My anecdotal observation is that normal air traffic adds an hour to a trip.  That seems like a lot.  Maybe Surly pilots can opine.

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

Since the lockdown, I've been to the airport 4 times to pick up friends and family.   Each flight landed approximately an hour earlier than scheduled.  My anecdotal observation is that normal air traffic adds an hour to a trip.  That seems like a lot.  Maybe Surly pilots can opine.

Given that airlines have slashed roughly 70% of their flights you have little to no taxxing time or gate delays.

Instead of opening July 1 as hinted for a while, Belize announces an August 15 opening of borders and international airport, but with a pretty damn good plan to test and track tourists while in Belize. Never thought I'd see the day that countries like this make the the U.S. look like the shithole country.

https://belizing.com/coronavirus/

BZEreopen.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Exercising a bit of drunken optimism:

Rebooked a cancelled April trip from IAH-ATL for August. Not like I really have any tourist plans. Just going to support a very recently divorced buddy and trying to stay true to my word to come help him reset his life. 

Also booked a Jamaica trip for February. Provided I live to be 50, I wanna wake up on that day, hung over on a beach, with someone bouncing on my dick while my wife (no pics) takes pics. Or...something like that. Will work out the specifics later.....

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, After irth said:

Also booked a Jamaica trip for February. Provided I live to be 50, I wanna wake up on that day, hung over on a beach, with someone bouncing on my dick while my wife (no pics) takes pics. Or...something like that. Will work out the specifics later.....

Dude. 
You know it’s going to be a sloppy unenthusiastic bj from wife that you have to finish. 

At least what she told me. Have nekkid pics of wife if anybody is interested. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Shaddie said:

Dude. 
You know it’s going to be a sloppy unenthusiastic bj from wife that you have to finish. 

At least what she told me. Have nekkid pics of wife if anybody is interested. 

Anywhere in between those two spectrums...and I’ll consider it a win...ha!

I drove out to the Midland Odessa area last week - first business trip since the lockdown began in late March.  During this time, our company requires us to drive if the trip is less than 8 hours.  Coming home to Houston on Friday, I dropped down to I-10 and came all the way that way.  Each and every time I stopped at a convenience store or gas station I wore my mask in, and was generally the only one in the store masked up. Certainly in  the minority. It’s like it’s happening somewhere else but not there. 

About to enter the “2 week” window before flights that BA wants you to wait for before calling. Just what I wanted to do next week. 

Most likely will have to take the credit, as I’m sure just moving flights to the news dates will be a big fare increase. Sucks as I had a miller deal on r/t biz. :(

2 hours ago, thunderlounge said:

About to enter the “2 week” window before flights that BA wants you to wait for before calling. Just what I wanted to do next week. 

Most likely will have to take the credit, as I’m sure just moving flights to the news dates will be a big fare increase. Sucks as I had a miller deal on r/t biz. :(

In February, I book a domestic flight for the 2nd week of April.  Cancelled it March 27 once it looked like it wasn't gonna happen.  Just called and rebooked the same trip for mid-August with no issue and $120 cheaper.  

If that helps.  Good luck!