2020 Primary: We're messy and we love social media drama

bad_teammate

Bernie Bros being toxic. Anti-Bernie Bros being toxic. Media figures being annoying. Giving ourselves emotional disorders online.

Let's do it all here, outside of the primary thread where maybe policy and values discussion can happen and not be drowned out by discussions of who is being mean to whom.

I'll start!

Pod Save Jon Favreau, fresh off of siccing his 1.2M followers on a 7k follower nobody for dunking on Beto, is bemoaning Twitter for... being Twitter.

Every day, I get up, get dressed, walk into a Waffle House and loudly say, "Boy, this sure isn't getting a Michelin star anytime soon!"

and every time, I feel a little bit smarter

• Haha 3

Interesting thread premise. My Facebook feed is full of old farts who are all saying "Someone explain to me how..." 

It's really amazing, the level of Bernie-derangement syndrome going on out there in well-to-do Liberal elite land. And I say this as someone continually angling to get invited to Liberal elite cocktail parties, wine-tastings, and art showings.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Only took 5 years for somebody to figure this out.

Yeah, you and I, two friendly Bernie Bros who go way back, are going to have to make sure that whenever these other people finally join us (two guys who have been together united for a long time, way back) that we welcome them as warmly as we greet each other every time we meet as fellow Bernie Bros.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Interesting thread premise.

I was thinking of two different threads, one to be a repository of all social media drama (Bernie bro related or otherwise) and another to basically just be "The Sanders Vetting Thread" where we all just dump everything negative thing we can find and work through it to make sense of it before the circus of stupidity that is Trump. No surprises needed when the big fight starts.

But it's premature for that second one because he's not guaranteed to win the primaries and he's really really old and could die at any moment.

We should probably do that for whoever the candidate is.

I'm as left as almost anybody on this board and I've been over Trump Derangment Syndrome for about a year now. I am so fucking sick of the online ritual of fresh outrage / howls of condemnation / nothing gets done / repeat over and over again. Some of my friends have got it so bad they will drag Trump into threads that have nothing to do with politics at all, the same way lunatics on the right gave rise to the "Thanks Obama" meme. 

A few others vilify you for even talking about the Democratic primary without first showing your anti-Trump credentials. Bama Chick called out our own Sandernista Brigade for not participating enough in the Trump hate circle jerk thread, and I've been personally attacked for not demonstrating my Dotard loathing often enough. Note, you don't have to praise him or even mention him at all -- just failing to lay into him is enough, even when you are talking about some other aspect of the political scene.

It's almost like the reverse of how some (maybe all?) Muslims won't say the prophet's name with throwing in a "Praise be unto him" or just "Pbuh." It's like you have to say "Fuck Trump, I really like Sanders's chances on Super Tuesday," or "May Trump's carcass be shat on by vultures with cholera for eternity, but Bernie might have improved his chances to flip Michigan by snubbing AIPAC." 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Yeah, you and I, two friendly Bernie Bros who go way back, are going to have to make sure that whenever these other people finally join us (two guys who have been together united for a long time, way back) that we welcome them as warmly as we greet each other every time we meet as fellow Bernie Bros.

giphy.gif

That's called a "turkey" when you mix a high five and a fist bump.

4 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Yeah I don't see the point in even thinking about Trump. I don't get it.

#Resistance Twitter is responsible for the most painful shit.

EK5VtPsXkAAz3xY.jpg

Some old fart on my FB feed hit some kind of jackpot of suckiness today.

1. First, he posted that spurious Trump quote where he supposedly said that if he ran for president, he'd run as a Republican because they are dumb and believe everything they see on Fox News.

2. That thing is not only made up, it's also fucking old. Welcome to 2016, boomer. 

3. Not only did he post that quote, but HE DID IT VIA FORWARDING THE VERY SNOPES POST THAT DEBUNKS IT.

4. HIs cronies liked it five times and two chimed in with posts agreeing with him before somebody finally called attention to the fake news aspect.

5. At which point he doubled down with the classic "He may not have said it but it's definitely what he thinks."

6. A full day later, he hasn't taken it down. 

7 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

I'm as left as almost anybody on this board and I've been over Trump Derangment Syndrome for about a year now. I am so fucking sick of the online ritual of fresh outrage / howls of condemnation / nothing gets done / repeat over and over again. Some of my friends have got it so bad they will drag Trump into threads that have nothing to do with politics at all, the same way lunatics on the right gave rise to the "Thanks Obama" meme. 

A few others vilify you for even talking about the Democratic primary without first showing your anti-Trump credentials. Bama Chick called out our own Sandernista Brigade for not participating enough in the Trump hate circle jerk thread, and I've been personally attacked for not demonstrating my Dotard loathing often enough. Note, you don't have to praise him or even mention him at all -- just failing to lay into him is enough, even when you are talking about some other aspect of the political scene.

It's almost like the reverse of how some (maybe all?) Muslims won't say the prophet's name with throwing in a "Praise be unto him" or just "Pbuh." It's like you have to say "Fuck Trump, I really like Sanders's chances on Super Tuesday," or "May Trump's carcass be shat on by vultures with cholera for eternity, but Bernie might have improved his chances to flip Michigan by snubbing AIPAC." 

(disclaimer - based on my experience with voters outside this board. I believe none of the following can be attributable to anyone posting on this board. This has an intelligent and savvy slice of America.)

This election came up fast on many who were transfixed on the impeachment process and trial. They were rightfully pissed and a bit despondent after the inevitable acquittal. And then they ran into a fully engaged primary process where the candidates had been running for a long time and some campaigns were already at full speed. 

A large swath of the media was also unprepared to jump into the nomination - I think concentrated large media hoped Biden would just run away with the nomination and the Ukraine-Russia issue would just be put on repeat forever. 

I know most Trumpers were not up to speed (and still aren't) for the transition into the election. They relied on Trump dictating the narrative each day to the brain dead press. That is not happening these days and, for many of us, that is a huge relief.

Trump's domination of the media narrative has been a problem since he went down the escalator. So many networks in 2016 broadcast almost every speech he made early in his campaign. They would show the Trump Show for hours - on all the cable networks. That spun-off to his Twitter, where he would change the subject every single day. That continued through the impeachment and trial. But his media dominance ended with the primaries. 

It is a whole new world for many. Their old reliable attack lines don't work anymore. They have been forced to see their enemy through a different strategic lens. 

The good news is many Democrats are now fully focused on walking (rather than chewing gum as well) and have been now for over a month. I think most are just ready for a nominee so they can get back to the fight. They will find new media allies (the Never-Trumpers and Neo-Cons led  them down the wrong path for too long). And some of their reliable allies will be reliable once again.  

Until then - welcome to the social media circular firing squad. This is the Third Wave of Trumpism. Divide and conquer. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Pete: "Hey striking black workers, can I get a picture for my campaign??"

Striking black workers:

There were a small group of counter protestors there yelling that he hadn't raised the minimum wage to $15 in South Bend(which he obviously has no power to do as mayor, though he did raise wages for city employees).  Apparently only one person from this anti-Buttigieg protest was even from SB. 

16 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Yeah I don't see the point in even thinking about Trump. I don't get it.

#Resistance Twitter is responsible for the most painful shit.

cringe.  i asked my 80 year old mom what she thought about trump and she z-snapped and said "bubby didn't raise no dummy. sista sista gonna clap clap dat 2 ton sunagun on da run." ended with another z snap and a hair toss as she walked away.  everyone clapped.

Are those "counter protestors" or fellow protestors?

He wasn't leaving quickly to get to a new event. He was leaving quickly because labor activists were yelling at him.

It's not a meaningful thing, it's just funny drama.

2 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

I don't understand this thread.

You know how you guys like to find some nonsense on Twitter to get mad about and derail policy discussion with it? This is for concentrating all of the messy online drama! :D

21 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

He wasn't leaving quickly to get to a new event. He was leaving quickly because labor activists were yelling at him.

He joined Fight for 15 strikers which he has done many, many times. I provided video above. 

There was a separate, smaller group protesting Buttigieg, I provided video above. You might not be aware of it, but there is a small group of "activists" that love to fuck with Buttigieg events. 

So you're saying those people in the Fight for 15 march who were yelling at him are actually the same people as the BLM people who yelled at him? Also, were they "counter protestors"?

If I was going to be a concern troll I would say something like, "Pete and his toxic online supporters need to find a way to deal with these incidents that isn't just reflexively accusing and smearing those expressing their feelings and concerns to their favored candidate."

Not sure if they were the same people. Sorry for incorrectly using the term “counter protestors”. 

They were yelling at Pete about him not raising minimum wage to $15 in SB, which is a disingenuous argument since he has no control over that as mayor. Also a reporter asked where they were from, and apparently only one person claimed to live in SB. 

1 hour ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

cringe.  i asked my 80 year old mom what she thought about trump and she z-snapped and said "bubby didn't raise no dummy. sista sista gonna clap clap dat 2 ton sunagun on da run." ended with another z snap and a hair toss as she walked away.  everyone clapped.

jive GIF

2 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Why can't someone from outside of SB be concerned about life of South Bendians (Bendites? Benders? Benditos?)?

Hey, it happens to the best of candidates. You get smacked in the face by the hoi polloi.

8bf20eb0-f07c-4c6f-8ec9-c96e7f7c1ed0.jpg

Is this when they walked up on bernie’s stage and made him a bitch by taking it over?

8 minutes ago, GotThatFire said:

Beaten up? You think that is the only course of action?

Well there's either confrontation or acquiescence.

Those two were not going to be asked politely to leave, so what is Bernie's recourse. Pretend you're his campaign manager, what's your advice?

Here's the event.

9 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

What's the right course of action there, Internet tough guys?

If you can’t handle a pep rally, it doesn’t inspire confidence.  

If you want actual suggestions, start with taking the one unifying voice there and have him step to the mic and ask for unity and to listen to message. But that’s probably just my inner tough guy talking. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

If you want actual suggestions, start with taking the one unifying voice there and have him step to the mic and ask for unity and to listen to message. But that’s probably just my inner tough guy talking. 

Did you watch that at all? Do you really think those two were there to unify and listen? lol

I guess you could make an argument that he should have rougher security, but Bernie's in a no-win situation there.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Did you watch that at all? Do you really think those two were there to unify and listen? lol

I guess you could make an argument that he should have rougher security, but Bernie's in a no-win situation there.

that's suggestion number two.  how about vet some people before giving them the mic.

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

how about vet some people before giving them the mic.

When you know how rallies and campaigning work.

Just now, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

suggestion three: understand you are asking the population to make you the most powerful person in the world, so try not to look like a powerless wallflower.

And do... what?

It's just hilarious how brainlocked macho men get

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

i'll admit to flexing in front of the mirror in the mornings, but i'm not sure that suggesting that a major politician should avoid having campaign rallies turn them into weaklings makes me all much of a macho man.

And what is your actual, practical suggestion for how he should have handled that situation?