Brave cop takes another hard case off the street

TonyTexas

Shame on the cop and shame on the school. If this was my daughter, I think I’d be joining her in jail. 

The Orlando Police Department has released footage of a 6-year-old girl being arrested.

According to The Tampa Bay Times, Kaia Rolle was being read a story when officers showed up to arrest her after she had a “tantrum” earlier in the day.

The arrest occurred at Lucious and Emma Nixon Academy on Sept. 19, 2019. Rolle’s family shared body camera footage with the Orlando Sentinel this week. 

What are those for?” Rolle asks the officer, referring to zip ties used to handcuff suspects.

Defend democracy. Click to invest in courageous progressive journalism today.

“They’re for you,” Officer Dennis Turner replies.

00:0000:51

“No … no, don’t put handcuffs on!” Rolle begs. “Help me, help me, please!”

Turner was eventually fired after the arrest sparked national outrage.

One might think that more than the particular officer was involved in the decision to make an arrest of a six year old at school.

Even so, seems particularly sadistic and injudicious of the officer to go along.

Something is super-fucky about this.  

That article says "Officer Dennis Turner," while the name tape clearly says Ramos.

And that teacher or counselor was clearly complicit with the whole thing.

Edited by TwiceHorn

13 minutes ago, huge said:

There has to be more to this story.

INTERNET ENGAGE

i want to know what the girl did before the video was taken. if she had a tantrum that could have potentially harmed an officer than maybe she deserved it. i mean i think the actions by the cop were overboard - dont get me wrong here - just saying that maybe she deserved what she got you know. 

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

One might think that more than the particular officer was involved in the decision to make an arrest of a six year old at school.

Even so, seems particularly sadistic and injudicious of the officer to go along.

oh yeah?! why?! when is the last time you were subjected to a 6 year old's tantrum? 

i love this internet tough guy bravado. yelling and screaming for accountability and reason when they weren't the ones subject to the incredibly tense standoff that clearly isn't captured here on film. 

HOW EASY IT MUST BE TOUGH GUY

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Something is super-fucky about this.  

That article says "Officer Dennis Turner," while the name tape clearly says Ramos.

And that teacher or counselor was clearly complicit with the whole thing.

My wife is a school nurse at an elementary school.  She's got plenty of stories of kids attacking/biting faculty.  They have to sit on their hands for a lot of it, and even then a cop walking in and arresting 6 year old would certainly elicit more reaction than okay bye baby girl.

I'm having a hard time understanding this.  Someone called the police, right?  Someone, I'm assuming an administrator from the school, is in the first part of the video and is complicit.  How can they later say that they were surprised?

That broke my heart listening to that child cry and beg to not be arrested and the police just keep on doing what they are doing.

33 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

My wife is a school nurse at an elementary school.  She's got plenty of stories of kids attacking/biting faculty.  They have to sit on their hands for a lot of it, and even then a cop walking in and arresting 6 year old would certainly elicit more reaction than okay bye baby girl.

I was going to say something similar. This wouldn't be a horrible move for the violent ones. My wife has come across more than a few elementary kids who need this. She had a kindergartener who was already a 5'2 ball of mass who would generally take two females (since there are no males in elementary much less as aides to special needs) to restrain. Even then, they were struggling.

This, of course, does not seem to be appropriate (thought it was a prank at first, as in threaten and then let walk away when she begins to cry and get scared) but my first reaction, given what the wife has seen from some 6 year olds, was no big deal.

You guys would not believe what some of these kids are capable of, and get away with, doing to teachers and staff.

Edited by pacman
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

If they try and try and fail, then kick her out of school and let her parents deal with it. 

You would think that would be a move but it doesn't seem to happen in our limited exposure.

I don't know if schools don't want to give up the attendance reimbursement for a kid or what but some of these kids get to return to school after doing stuff, multiple times, that used to be an automatical removal back in our day.

Yesterday, the wife was called to calm down a 7 year old boy who had flipped over every table in his 1st grade room, turned over all the bookshelves, etc. He does this weekly. The kids and teacher spend the rest of the day cleaning up when it happens.

If my wife happens to be at a different school (she covers 7 schools and has a similar one or two at each school), or sometimes even when she is there and he is unconsolable, he gets restrained by two, sometimes three, female aides. He was back to school today.

He has never been arrested, don't think the isd does this at all.

If he gets too bad, his mom comes to pick him up and he gets a nice half-day but returns the next day.

Edited by pacman

3 hours ago, pacman said:

You would think that would be a move but it doesn't seem to happen in our limited exposure.

I don't know if schools don't want to give up the attendance reimbursement for a kid or what but some of these kids get to return to school after doing stuff, multiple times, that used to be an automatical removal back in our day.

Yesterday, the wife was called to calm down a 7 year old boy who had flipped over every table in his 1st grade room, turned over all the bookshelves, etc. He does this weekly. The kids and teacher spend the rest of the day cleaning up when it happens.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

He’s at the wrong school and ought to be kicked out over repeated events. 

Lets get our facts straight: In Texas at least, and probably in many other states, schools cannot "kick kids out." The district is required by law to provide an education, even to dangerous psychopathic six year olds. In a situation like this, the best the school could do would be to foot the bill to have the kid put into a private treatment facility, but only if the parents agree. 

The school should perhaps have a trained male aid ready to restrain the kid you refer to pacman, but if you have a situation where one nurse covers seven campuses, I don't think the district is going to be willing or able to hire such an aide, much less foot the bill for private treatment. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I don't remember this story but the video seems staged.  Like the cop/school was trying to do a scared straight intervention?  What were the details behind the arrest?  He got fired so I assume it was a legit arrest.  Legit as in not fake

Brilliant analysis

The cop with the body cam was the school resource officer. The cop who cuffed and stuffed the SIX YEAR OLD was a regular cop who the sro called.

I'm sure the SIX YEAR OLD learned her lesson and will never act out again. I'm sure she is much more likely, after getting CUFFED AND STUFFED, to grow up a well adjusted member of society.

• Like 2

Just now, Dr. Beeper said:

Kids get expelled every day. If that kid is turning over tables and desks every week, he ought to be expelled. He doesn’t belong there. 

Not anymore, times change yo.

I actually agree he doesn't belong. You want to pay more in property taxes to pay to have him removed to a private treatment facility? Because by law that would be the only way the school could 'expel" him.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

The cop with the body cam was the school resource officer. The cop who cuffed and stuffed the SIX YEAR OLD was a regular cop who the sro called.

I'm sure the SIX YEAR OLD learned her lesson and will never act out again. I'm sure she is much more likely, after getting CUFFED AND STUFFED, to grow up a well adjusted member of society.

That's what I'm thinking. How could she ever possibly trust a police officer for the rest of her life. So she is probably not going to ever try to rely on them to protect her. 

The chair flipping kid, now, seems like he needs his ass towup, or some kind of straight-jacket or something. He doesn't have the right to infringe on ability of the whole class to learn at school. Fuck that kid. 

Edited by immortal13
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

It's a war out there!

Cop was just trying to make it home safe to his wife.

You know, it's tough to beat your wife if you don't make it home safe to her.

7 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I actually agree he doesn't belong. You want to pay more in property taxes to pay to have him removed to a private treatment facility? Because by law that would be the only way the school could 'expel" him.

Obviously the cop in the video and arresting a 6 year old is just stupid, but you and pacman are right about the larger issue of discipline in elementary schools.

As a parent of 2 elementary schoolers, it is crazy how much kids get away with and the school & teachers are virtually powerless to administer any consequences.  In fact, my kid's kindergarten teacher told me that after this year she is done with teaching because she is so fed up with the restrictions on consequences at her school.  Child is disrespectful?  Deal with it.  Child flips chairs?  Deal with it.  Child bullies other kids?  Deal with it.  She spends 95% of her classroom time dealing with the incorrigibles (with no assistance) that the good kids just get ignored.  This is especially true if the child is classified as special ed.  In fact, the state just came out and told her and the other teachers at the school that if a child is special ed, you cannot administer ANY consequences, unless you can prove that the disruption is NOT a part of the child's "educational exceptionality."

It's largely why we yanked our older one out of public school and into a charter school and why the kindergartner is joining him next year there.

13 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

My MIL just retired a couple months ago after being a counselor for special needs students for years, both Jr. High and High School.  I can assure you that kids do get expelled.  Some require admission to in-patient treatment facilities, others go to juvie.  One of her success stories ended up going to a military-style last-chance boarding school (after being expelled for a drug offense) to ensure the he graduated.  If there is a legitimate reason why the student can't behave in a regular class environment, the district should be providing the resources/accommodations necessary for that student to learn without disruption to other students.

What seems weird to me is that just a decade or so ago we were talking about zero tolerance policies, which resulted in expulsions and now we're talking about inability to expel at all.

Also, and this has been a question of mine for a while:  I understand that mood/behavior disorders can make it very difficult for a sufferer to maintain control over their emotions and behavior, but it seems like at some point, the sufferer has to take some responsibility. Our criminal justice system certainly imposes it with little regard for mental issues, but I'm not sure where the line is properly drawn.

Edited by TwiceHorn

38 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

There’s a lot of ignorance in this thread. The problem is, both sides will think I’m referring to the other.

*No, I don’t think cuffing the young girl was necessary but I absolutely know someone that age has the ability to hurt an adult.

the pixiest tiny ass pixie little lady teacher still weighs 90 pounds.  who are these 6 year old roid heads you know?

32 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

No. They don’t.  Of course a 3 year old with a gun can kill an adult, but when you’re in a school setting with (ostensibly) responsible staff, no 6-year old should (ever) be able to hurt an adult. 

22 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

the pixiest tiny ass pixie little lady teacher still weighs 90 pounds.  who are these 6 year old roid heads you know?

It happens you stubborn fucks. Some of you need some flying scissors to the face (not the girl/girl kind).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.greenvilleonline.com/amp/90372802

The child (5 years old) lunged at her and punched her in the jaw, punched her multiple times in the left arm and stomped on her left foot and kicked her in the shin, and picked up scissors, markers and pencils and threw them at other students, according to the report.

The teacher had visible bleeding on her gums, bruising and redness on her jaw, redness on her shin and arm and reported non-visible injuries, according to the report.

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

It happens you stubborn fucks. Some of you need some flying scissors to the face (not the girl/girl kind).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.greenvilleonline.com/amp/90372802

The child (5 years old) lunged at her and punched her in the jaw, punched her multiple times in the left arm and stomped on her left foot and kicked her in the shin, and picked up scissors, markers and pencils and threw them at other students, according to the report.

The teacher had visible bleeding on her gums, bruising and redness on her jaw, redness on her shin and arm and reported non-visible injuries, according to the report.

User name definitely not checking out...

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, hopkinsnhorns said:

My MIL just retired a couple months ago after being a counselor for special needs students for years, both Jr. High and High School.  I can assure you that kids do get expelled.  Some require admission to in-patient treatment facilities, others go to juvie.  One of her success stories ended up going to a military-style last-chance boarding school (after being expelled for a drug offense) to ensure the he graduated.  If there is a legitimate reason why the student can't behave in a regular class environment, the district should be providing the resources/accommodations necessary for that student to learn without disruption to other students.

Then they weren't expelled. They got alternative forms of education. In regards to the in-patient facility, it is possible the district paid just to get the kid out of their hair. It is possible the parents paid because they knew the district wasn't giving the kid what he needed. Its possible the state paid. Its possible it was free.

If the drug offense kid wasn't prosecuted and put in juvie then diverted to the military academy by the courts, he was put into some sort of alternate education system/campus/program within the district, but he wasn't just kicked out of school.

Again, I agree 100% with your last sentence.