Brave cop takes another hard case off the street

TonyTexas

Elementary school administrator here. Yes, even young kids can cause a severe amount of damage to property, other students, and even staff. Calling the cops is typically not the right answer. Cuffs are never the right answer. Even with students in a state of crisis being removed from school directly to a mental health facility, we have never had to use cuffs.

People need to understand that there are two very different sets of laws governing schools and their students. Special education and general education. Let’s say a student is in special education with an emotional disturbance diagnosis. This student cannot be suspended for more than 10 days in a school year without a manifestation determination hearing to determine if their behavior was a result of their disability. Guess what......every possible behavior is due to the disability and that kid is ours for the rest of the year. 
The only way that kid is leaving my campus is if they have an offense classified as non-discretionary such as bringing drugs or a weapon to school.

We can physically contain a kid using SAMA techniques, but only if they are an immediate danger to themselves or others.

Walking around and smashing computers? Nope, doesn’t cut it and it’s a fast way to get fired. You know what my only option is? Calling the cops when the level of property destruction gets to be over $100. If the kid is under 10, even they can’t do much about it.

Punch a kid/teacher in the face? Spend the afternoon with me and they will be back in class tomorrow. 

Special education laws add great protection for some of our most at risk students. However, they have gone too far in protecting some really egregious behavior and allowing it to happen every day, year after year. That’s not helping the special education child develop a sense of reality about how people will deal with that behavior outside of school.

Im going to cut this post off so that it doesn’t get into TLDR territory but I’m happy to answer questions.

23 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Lets get our facts straight: In Texas at least, and probably in many other states, schools cannot "kick kids out." The district is required by law to provide an education, even to dangerous psychopathic six year olds. In a situation like this, the best the school could do would be to foot the bill to have the kid put into a private treatment facility, but only if the parents agree. 

The school should perhaps have a trained male aid ready to restrain the kid you refer to pacman, but if you have a situation where one nurse covers seven campuses, I don't think the district is going to be willing or able to hire such an aide, much less foot the bill for private treatment. 

This.

Bunch of you folks are in la-la land with regard to what the staff at an elementary school is expected to endure, and thus; what a little shit 6 year old can and will do.

It's stupid as fuck.  If they hit another kid it should be one warning.  if they hit a teacher it should be gone-skies.  Sorry...you fucked up, but you cannot be part of the public schools if you hit others.

Thanks for playing...