Cops lie to woman to get her DNA, arrest her son for murder

Gil Bang

36 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

we are in total agreement here. nothing good can come from those "innocent" genealogy kits. 

This is why I'm in favor of fucking up the system.  Everyone should be submitting samples to the DNA services, but they should be submitting some random DNA sample they picked up in public.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

Nah I didn’t take offense. It’s more irksome that you’re oddly taking up for him. 

Yes, his title is factual. But it’s a distortion from the real story. Just look at the difference between his wording and the linked article’s. 

Go fuck yourself Rex.

"Cops Lie to woman to get her DNA, arrest her son for murder".  Since you're a dipping-on-a-plane fucking moron, I'll break it down for you:

Part 1:  "Cops lie to woman to get her DNA".  Well, the cops lied to the woman to get her DNA

Part 2 "arrest her son for murder".  The cops arrested her son for murder.

Part 3,4, and 5: go fuck yourself

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

It's your prison sentence, or worse, your child's, wife/husband, family member, friend.

Naive is the word in your retort I would focus on personally.

Choosing not to exercise your rights is an option, always. Just be aware you do so at your own peril and ignorance.

Edit - In this day and age, given what  we know about police activity, NSA and a myriad of other 3 letter agencies the old adage of "If I didn't do anything wrong I've got nothing to fear." Is not only naive and ignorant, but dangerous. As long as the majority of US citizens think this way, nothing will get fixed.

I think I would rather live with the consequences of my naivete.  There are mental health benefits to having one's head in the sand, which is good since apparently the only medical care I will be able to get is what is provided by the prison system  Woe is me.  

19 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I’m not Rex you fucking moron. 

Here’s an appropriate title for this story - if you’re not trying to be inflammatory. Which you were. You California queer. 

”Cold Case Murder Solved. Accused Murderer’s Family Blames Police for Questionable Tactics.”  But that won’t work when you WANT to bury the lede, now, will it?

Go be an attention whore somewhere else. I’m sure you can start a new California wildfire thread or something. 

Good God. 

the solving of ancient cases is the carrot LE groups are using to get around your rights. This shit has been going on since the fucking 60s. I encourage you to read the LE reaction when the Supreme Court handed down “Miranda”. There were LEs howling how informing people of their rights would completely destroy their ability to “stop crime” (win convictions). Big surprise, it had no effect, just like the warrantless searches and “stop and frisk” policy’s brought on by the 70’s crime epidemic. 

Absolute privacy is a keystone right of our country. Cops don’t get cats out of trees or buy homeless people fast food unless they feel Ike it on a personal level, LEs actual job is to bury people in their sights. I could care less if you feel so confident in your ‘innocence’ you want to release your rights, but keep away from mine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Good God. 

the solving of ancient cases is the carrot LE groups are using to get around your rights. This shit has been going on since the fucking 60s. I encourage you to read the LE reaction when the Supreme Court handed down “Miranda”. There were LEs howling how informing people of their rights would completely destroy their ability to “stop crime” (win convictions). Big surprise, it had no effect, just like the warrantless searches and “stop and frisk” policy’s brought on by the 70’s crime epidemic. 

Absolute privacy is a keystone right of our country. Cops don’t get cats out of trees or buy homeless people fast food unless they feel Ike it on a personal level, LEs actual job is to bury people in their sights. I could care less if you feel so confident in your ‘innocence’ you want to release your rights, but keep away from mine.

Shit, Clarence Thomas doesn't think the exclusionary rule should apply to Fourth Amendment violations.  And he's not the only one.

There's a vast number of people in this country that would sacrifice freedom and privacy for some unknowable quantum of security.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Shit, Clarence Thomas doesn't think the exclusionary rule should apply to Fourth Amendment violations.  And he's not the only one.

There's a vast number of people in this country that would sacrifice freedom and privacy for some unknowable quantum of security.

Yep. And most of them have no clue of the actual methods of their Federal or local Justice System. They feel like if they are ‘innocent’ they’re fine. It’s actually quite shocking to me. 

• Like 3

On 2/25/2020 at 3:01 PM, Brisketexan said:

1 -- the cops can lie to you to obtain evidence.  If you trust a cop, you're making a mistake.

2 -- the cops used a clever way to get evidence that didn't harm the third party (the person giving the sample).  I actually respect the creativity.

3 -- your son probably shouldn't have killed that girl.

All of this.  Dude killed someone.  Fuck him.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

What if he didn't?  

What if there were no DNA match?  Would it still be "OK" for the cops to lie to somebody to obtain their DNA?

Then he would have been exonerated.  Yes, I recognize the slippery slope.  But let's say she refused if requested for the true purpose, which she likely would have.  Should they just say "oh well, let's see if we can dig up video evidence?"  What is the real harm?  Invasion of privacy?  In a society of hundreds of millions of people, there are certain liberties that need to be compromised to maintain law and order.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

Then he would have been exonerated.  Yes, I recognize the slippery slope.  But let's say she refused if requested for the true purpose, which she likely would have.  Should they just say "oh well, let's see if we can dig up video evidence?"  What is the real harm?  Invasion of privacy?  In a society of hundreds of millions of people, there are certain liberties that need to be compromised to maintain law and order.  

So, what we need to do is build a database of everybody's DNA...the entire fucking country.  At birth, the hospital takes your DNA and sends it to the good people in D.C.  What could go wrong?

If your a tourist, you get your cheek swabbed at customs. 

Because it will help maintain law and order. 

18 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

So, what we need to do is build a database of everybody's DNA...the entire fucking country.  At birth, the hospital takes your DNA and sends it to the good people in D.C.  What could go wrong?

Now you're on the trolley!

25 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

you're

Sigh... Yep... I wish you were wrong but there is evidence of that reality in this very thread. Which is, allegedly, largely comprised of college educated folks. You know, the ones that are supposed to be smart and care about their rights.

Educated doesn’t equal smart and most people don’t give a damn about their rights. If they do, it’s a certain few rights or they are ok with them being curtailed under the guise of “safety.”

On 2/26/2020 at 2:13 PM, Gil Bang said:

Go fuck yourself Rex.

"Cops Lie to woman to get her DNA, arrest her son for murder".  Since you're a dipping-on-a-plane fucking moron, I'll break it down for you:

Part 1:  "Cops lie to woman to get her DNA".  Well, the cops lied to the woman to get her DNA

Part 2 "arrest her son for murder".  The cops arrested her son for murder.

Part 3,4, and 5: go fuck yourself

No.  Go fuck yourself.  This isn't about your inane bullshit.  It's about CHRISTINE FRANKE and solving her murder.

6 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Yeah then I read this.  You're a bigger idiot than I thought.  

I'm happy that they caught her killer but I just don't think it's ever right for the cops to blatantly lie to citizens like this. It's a violation of the public trust and it also should make any cooperation on future cases by people who read the story much less likely. 

They should have gone the correct route and either obtained a court order for his DNA if they had the evidence or wait for him to throw out refuse that becomes public domain and they can test for DNA. Going after innocent people like this to deceive them is just wrong and should never be done. 

From any of the criminal lawyers on here my question is what's the best way to go about preparing for any situation where the police may contact you? I do not ever want to associate, aid, or have contact with police in any fashion and I will never provide information or aid them anyway so should I obtain a lawyer just to have someone to direct any query by the police to? 

Edited by Junior Miller

11 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I'm happy that they caught her killer but I just don't think it's ever right for the cops to blatantly lie to citizens like this. It's a violation of the public trust and it also should make any cooperation on future cases by people who read the story much less likely. 

They should have gone the correct route and either obtained a court order for his DNA if they had the evidence or wait for him to throw out refuse that becomes public domain and they can test for DNA. Going after innocent people like this to deceive them is just wrong and should never be done. 

From any of the criminal lawyers on here my question is what's the best way to go about preparing for any situation where the police may contact you? I do not ever want to associate, aid, or have contact with police in any fashion and I will never provide information or aid them anyway so should I obtain a lawyer just to have someone to direct any query by the police to? 

Here is another cold case, solved when the Wisconsin police used a ruse to get the suspect to lick an envelope

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2019/06/01/arrest-43-year-old-murder-case-stuns-wisconsin-town

On March 6, two sheriff's deputies knocked on Vannieuwenhoven's door, pretending they wanted him to fill out a brief survey on area-policing. They told him to put the survey in an envelope and seal it with his tongue.

Detectives didn't need to visit the fourth brother. Eight days later, Vannieuwenhoven was in custody.

2 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

So...a serial rapist and (at least) double murderer got arrested? 

Yeah - I don't really have an issue with this, although IMO the police should have a warrant if they are asking a suspect for evidence>
I'm talking out of my league, but it seems like a 4th amendment issue and the end justifying the means. 
I don't know if a judge would issue a warrant with that type of suspicion, but the Founders had no idea there would be something like DNA testing.