2020 Stl Cardinals thread of....who knows?

pops

Holy shit, I got home and flipped on the game and it was 4-2 Cubs.  5 minutes later, it was 5-4.  

This seriously just looks like a team that knows it's going to win and is just daring the Cubs to make a play to beat them.  And the Cubs just keep tripping over their dicks.

Sooooo much fun to watch.  

2 hours ago, pops said:

Bader was not losing that game today.

Bader is on a 13-19 tear. 

I think my favorite part about that DP is that all three outfielders came running in, and O'Neil took off his hat in the middle of the play because there was nothing for him to do.

2nd favorite part, which neither of the videos I've seen captured was that Maddux just busted out laughing looking out onto the field.

13 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Bader is on a 13-19 tear. 

I think my favorite part about that DP is that all three outfielders came running in, and O'Neil took off his hat in the middle of the play because there was nothing for him to do.

2nd favorite part, which neither of the videos I've seen captured was that Maddux just busted out laughing looking out onto the field.

It was awesome. I so hope there is a pic on Getty tomorrow showing all 9 cards in the infield. 

On 9/27/2021 at 6:52 PM, You don't know me said:
On 9/27/2021 at 3:05 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:
Does this buy Shildt more time?  

Great question. I still think that his handling of the bullpen prior to "the streak" was horrid, but he has done a great job since.

It helps that multiple guys have quit walking so many guys.  Nothing makes a manager look stupider than a bad bullpen.  

But Shildt is not going anywhere.  Even before this streak, the players loved playing for him.  Paul has never talked down any manager to me, even Chip Hale, who kept batting him third behind Mike Bourn and Rickie Weeks, so that he was always getting walked in the first with two out and none on.  But he freaking loooooooves Shildt.  

Shildt wasn't getting fired even if they missed the playoffs (unless Moz got canned), but he's especially safe now.

• Like 1

It helps that multiple guys have quit walking so many guys.  Nothing makes a manager look stupider than a bad bullpen.  
But Shildt is not going anywhere.  Even before this streak, the players loved playing for him.  Paul has never talked down any manager to me, even Chip Hale, who kept batting him third behind Mike Bourn and Rickie Weeks, so that he was always getting walked in the first with two out and none on.  But he freaking loooooooves Shildt.  
Shildt wasn't getting fired even if they missed the playoffs (unless Moz got canned), but he's especially safe now.
Yeah, I didn't think that Shildt would be fired, but I do believe that he made a ton of bad decisions this entire season. Another issue was the amount of time that he gave Dejong before finally going with Sosa. I get it, Dejong is the guy with rime and a bigger contract, but he has been horrible this entire year.

Also, the walks were pretty much the entire staff, not just the bullpen. But you are right, the issues weren't just Shildt, guys were simply not performing. He did make a lot of bad decisions, though. He stuck with Reyes as the closer for far too long.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, You don't know me said:

Yeah, I didn't think that Shildt would be fired, but I do believe that he made a ton of bad decisions this entire season. Another issue was the amount of time that he gave Dejong before finally going with Sosa. I get it, Dejong is the guy with rime and a bigger contract, but he has been horrible this entire year.

Also, the walks were pretty much the entire staff, not just the bullpen. But you are right, the issues weren't just Shildt, guys were simply not performing. He did make a lot of bad decisions, though. He stuck with Reyes as the closer for far too long.

I agree with all of this. 

Most of the bad decisions Shildt makes tend to be sticking with a guy too long (DeJong, Reyes).  But his willingness to stick with guys and trust them is a big part of why his players love him, though.

51 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Most of the bad decisions Shildt makes tend to be sticking with a guy too long (DeJong, Reyes).  But his willingness to stick with guys and trust them is a big part of why his players love him, though.

That and he's WAY better than the last guy we had.

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Didn't the players love Matheny too?  

Wong didn't.  Hicks definitely didn't.  I would assume most of the younger guys didn't like him.  Do you not remember him letting redass Bud Norris haze the rookies?

And maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought Matheny was wildly anti-analytics, which couldn't have gone over well in the front office.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Carlos Martinez fits here as well. I get being loyal,  but don't be stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Wong didn't.  Hicks definitely didn't.  I would assume most of the younger guys didn't like him.  Do you not remember him letting redass Bud Norris haze the rookies?

And maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I thought Matheny was wildly anti-analytics, which couldn't have gone over well in the front office.

You are exactly right.  Matheny was stubborn.  He also wasn't great with the press.  Honestly reminded me a little bit of Mack.

I would have fired him the second he put in Reyes in the 9th. Right there on the field. 

It took an historic run to even grab the 2nd wildcard spot and was lipstick on mind numbing decisions he made all year. Yeah,  he's made the playoffs 3 years in a row and won exactly zero games. 

Seemed like a good dude,  but I don't care that he's gone. 

Only problem is I don't think Mo is capable of hiring a manager. He's had two chances and I have not been whelmed yet. 

Edited by pops

2 hours ago, pops said:

Paging @Beau Vine for the inside scoop

Paul's not going to talk about this with me.  I do know that he likes Albert, but like Shildt a lot more.  

Besides, it seems pretty clear that this is about Albert.  If the problem was Shildt ignoring front office edicts about player usage, this would have blown up much earlier.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...