Tell Me About Baylor

Al_4_ISU

Back in the days of divisions, I always kinda liked Baylor because even I could pity them.  Some buddies and I decided to go down to Waco in 2008 for our annual road trip, as one of my college buddies had just moved to Houston, so we could see him.  I had hit some Baylor message boards prior to heading down, and thought they came off as pretty nice guys who could commiserate shit football and have a good time.

I could not have been more wrong.

It was the worst sports experience of my life.  Waco was a shit hole.  Floyd-Casey was a shit hole.  There were about 100 Baylor fans tailgating before the game, and the whole place had a creepy "ancient Indian burial ground" feel to it.  The few fans that were out were preppy douche bag fucksticks.  It all sucked.  I decided I hated them forever.

Then came Briles, and the rapes, and I found a whole new depth of hate.  The documentary of the Carlton Dotson scandal added a nail.  They're my most hated Big 12 school with a bullet.

Would love to hear some old school Baylor hating stories, and get the rest of the picture fleshed out.  Fuck Baylor.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 1

They pretend their school is academically superior to any public school despite literally no ranking system (whose formulas all favor private schools) placing them within striking distance of UT-Austin. They presumably do this to justify the terrible value in which they've invested. 

They pretend that they are morally superior to all others despite openly blaming rape victims to protect their football team and justifying their overt and pervasive rape culture by insisting that "everyone does it." In the process they have outed themselves as vile racists and misogynists. 

They actively develop and believe in ridiculous conspiracy theories (they have a huge victim complex). 

I grew up in Houston; I knew a few people who went to Baylor. Let's just say that there is definitely a "type" that chooses Baylor, and it was not a "type" of which I was particularly fond. 

They have an athletic department that has unapologetically been complicit in or actively involved in cheating, murder (literally), rape, and obstructing justice. In fact, the entire university has been involved. 

In short - they are trash who pretend to be above reproach. They are criminals who hide behind religion. They are extremely insecure and mediocre but put on airs of superiority. 

If you could take all the elements of what makes people easy to hate - that is Baylor. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

They pretend their school is academically superior to any public school despite literally no ranking system (whose formulas all favor private schools) placing them within striking distance of UT-Austin. They presumably do this to justify the terrible value in which they've invested. 

They pretend that they are morally superior to all others despite openly blaming rape victims to protect their football team and justifying their overt and pervasive rape culture by insisting that "everyone does it." In the process they have outed themselves as vile racists and misogynists. 

They actively develop and believe in ridiculous conspiracy theories (they have a huge victim complex). 

I grew up in Houston; I knew a few people who went to Baylor. Let's just say that there is definitely a "type" that chooses Baylor, and it was not a "type" of which I was particularly fond. 

They have an athletic department that has unapologetically been complicit in or actively involved in cheating, murder (literally), rape, and obstructing justice. In fact, the entire university has been involved. 

In short - they are trash who pretend to be above reproach. They are criminals who hide behind religion. They are extremely insecure and mediocre but put on airs of superiority. 

If you could take all the elements of what makes people easy to hate - that is Baylor. 

Everything he said......and fuck Baylor.

18 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Regale me

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/2001-04-11/2001-04-11-colleges.htm

04/10/2001 - Updated 05:35 PM ET

Animal cruelty case detracts from Baylor's rise

Two Baylor student-athletes were arrested by Waco police last month and charged with animal cruelty after they allegedly shot, decapitated and skinned a stray cat named Queso.

The March 9 incident has created a disciplinary and public relations crisis for Baylor head coach Steve Smith, as animal rights activists and local residents have demanded harsh penalties for left-handed pitcher Derek Brehm, 20, and outfielder Clint Bowers, 22.

Brehm, of San Antonio, and Bowers, a Waco native, were released from jail after paying $2,000 bail each. Waco police, responding at 4 a.m. to a call of a firearm discharge, found blood on the door of Bowers' Chevrolet Tahoe. That led to a subsequent search of the truck, where police uncovered a severed, skinned cat's head and a pellet gun.

Animal rights groups asked for the students' dismissal, or at the least a suspension from school.

Smith had suspended Brehm and Bowers indefinitely from game participation on March 22 but allowed them to continue practicing. Smith lifted the suspension on April 6.

"I feel this is the appropriate course of action," Smith said. "What Derek and Clint are charged with is unacceptable conduct for a Baylor baseball player. They are both being held accountable for their behavior.

"I am not being insensitive to animals, and there is no question that what they did was wrong," said Smith, last year's Big 12 Coach of the Year. "They exercised poor judgment. But the whole issue has been completely overblown. What they literally did was shoot a cat. They did not torture the animal. And they did not drive around a neighborhood shooting cats as it has been previously reported."

The incident occurred during Baylor's spring break. Bowers, out of action with a broken bone in his back, and Brehm, a talented left-hander who has missed action because of injury, were eating a late meal at Taco Cabana, a fast-food restaurant whose workers often fed Queso.

According to Smith, police found no evidence of alcohol at the scene. Had alcohol played a factor, Smith said he would have sought a more severe punishment.

Upon Smith's request, both players had a psychological evaluation administered by the university, and they will receive counseling, if necessary. Before Brehm and Bowers were allowed back at practice, the coach instructed them to explain the incident candidly to their teammates and apologize for tarnishing the Baylor program.

The players released a statement through the school.

"I'd like to apologize to my family, friends and everyone who has been affected by this incident," Brehm said.

Bowers said, "Words cannot adequately express the remorse I feel for the pain that this has caused my family, friends, my school and the city of Waco."

"These are fine young men, and I want them to get the support they need to ensure that an incident of this nature never takes place again," Smith said. "They are being punished. At some point in time that punishment has to fit the crime. To kick the kids out of school and label them as future serial killers is a very unfortunate accusation."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

https://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/2001-04-11/2001-04-11-colleges.htm

04/10/2001 - Updated 05:35 PM ET

"I am not being insensitive to animals, and there is no question that what they did was wrong," said Smith, last year's Big 12 Coach of the Year. "They exercised poor judgment. But the whole issue has been completely overblown..."

"These are fine young men,..." Smith said.

Yeah, right!

I remember the story, but reading that again just stokes the fire of Baylor hatred!

(also a downer: the linked story also included the news of Iowa State discontinuing baseball and men's swimming)

• 1 month later...

Octogenarian BU fan says Briles was railroaded by the regents and media. Read all about it in the Trib:

In a private letter written May 23, 2017, by general counsel Christopher Holmes, Baylor University quietly acknowledged it had fired its highly successful head football coach Art Briles a year earlier without justifiable cause. The context of the letter explains the university’s obviously inconsistent actions in blaming Briles for misconduct, yet paying him a multi-million-dollar severance fee.

Briles, who transformed the school’s football program from a Big 12 Conference “bottomfeeder” in 2008 to back-to-back conference champions in 2013 and 2014, not only lost his job at Baylor two years ago today but became a national pariah overnight. Despite his obvious skills at putting high numbers on the scoreboard and his lifelong reputation as a devout Christian and moral leader of his community, he was ostracized and condemned across this nation and in Canada.

As early as January 2001 Baylor University, along with all other educational institutions who received federal funding, was notified that the university was required under Title IX of the federal statutes to designate at least one employee to coordinate its efforts to comply with and carry out its Title IX responsibilities, and to notify all students and employees of the name, office address and telephone number of the employee or employees so designated.

Alas, Baylor’s constantly changing 37-member governing board of regents did not fully comply with this requirement till it hired Patty Crawford in November 2014 as Title IX coordinator — an administrative delay of 166 months after being notified. Soon after Crawford’s employment she reported to the regents that Baylor’s problems with more than 400 sexual-harassment claims was not a football or athletic department illness but was a campus-wide problem throughout the student body generally. Though she left her position in late 2016, she still reports publicly that the overall sexual-harassment problem at Baylor did not stem from its football program but through a lack of recognition and redress by Baylor administration.

More at the link.

I loved: “Despite his obvious skills at putting high numbers on the scoreboard and his lifelong reputation as a devout Christian and moral leader of his community, he was ostracized and condemned across this nation and in Canada.”

Briles was paid off because he was about to go nuclear on other shit the regents didn’t want out there.

Sorry for the formatting fuck up. I thought I was just inserting some text and a separate link. 

Edited by Vito Andolini