Tell Me About Baylor

Al_4_ISU

18 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Well it was a nice thought. I figure the next time Houston plays BU they'll both be in the same conference again.

17 hours ago, TrashMaster G said:

As long as it's not the same conference that Texas is in, I'm all for it.

This and this. Baylor will end up in the American and UH will remain in the American. No other P5 wants Baylor.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Baylor announced Thursday that it has paused football activities due to COVID-19 issues within the program. Specifically, the athletic department said in a release that it hopes to "allow for further evaluation of recent positive tests and the completion of close contact tracing."

"At this time and in the interest of our student-athletes, coaches, and staff, we have temporarily suspended all football-related activities. Their health and wellness will always be our top priority," said Baylor athletic director Mack B. Rhoades. "We are taking all possible precautions and our focus remains playing the scheduled game with Oklahoma State at McLane Stadium on October 17."

The Bears have a bye this coming Saturday and are scheduled to return to action on Oct. 17 against Oklahoma State at home. That provides some buffer, and Baylor also has one more bye week remaining in case the program runs into more issues — the Bears are off on Nov. 21.

This is not the first time that Baylor has had potential scheduling issues due to COVID-19. The Big 12’s revised scheduled called for one non-conference opponent for each school, but Baylor did not have success in that regard. After its season opener against Louisiana Tech was canceled over COVID-19 concerns, Baylor quickly added Houston as a replacement for the following week. However, that game was also not able to be held because of virus complications.

The Houston cancellation was directly related to not only positive tests, but contact tracing focused on a key position group. With the Bears not meeting the minimum number of players required for that key position, Baylor decided to cancel the game.

The late cancellation caused frustration for Houston head coach Dana Holgorsen, who took issue with the Bears pushing to the day before the game to cancel. “You know, I don't know how it gets to 22 hours before the game,” Holgorsen said. “We’ve had four games canceled, so we're kind of use that. How it gets to 22 hours before the game, I don't know. I mean, there's a reason why our conference and the Big 12 tests three times a week.”

Baylor began the season Sept. 26 with a 47-14 rout of Kansas before suffering a defeat against West Virginia last weekend, coach Dave Aranda's first at the helm. The Aranda hire got the endorsement of Barton Simmons, CBS Sports national writer and 247Sports director of scouting.

"I think that I like the Dave Aranda hire at Baylor because of the fit," Simmons said over the summer on the Cover 3 College Football Podcast. "I think Dave Aranda has to be in, sort of, the right place. Baylor is the right place for Dave Aranda. I think he is similar to Matt Rhule in a lot of ways. I think he can, sort of, maintain the momentum that Matt Rhule built. I think it'll be easy to have buy-in with Dave Aranda, if you had buy-in with Matt Rhule. I think that his approach to the players will be similar. He's a really good coach.”

247Sports’ Garrett Stepien and Clint Buckley contributed to this story.

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

That’s why everyone should be wearing a fucking mask when in close proximity, including the locker room and sidelines. Only exception should be during actual plays. A false negative wouldn’t spread that far even on a long flight of everyone is masked.

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

Uhhh I saw the student section during their most recent game.  No masks, crowded, high-fiving players.  It’s patently obvious they don’t give a fuck, and the coverup/lying nature of that administration is shooting their dick off by ensuring they don’t get to play football.  

Look at the pic here:  https://wvmetronews.com/2020/09/27/big-12-snapshot-league-openers-in-the-books/

And of course it’s someone else’s fault.  One false negative infected like 50 people?  Do they have team meetings in the secret Waco bath house?  Why (knock on wood) are 90% of other programs not having such rampant outbreaks?  

Just seems more of the same. 

On 9/19/2020 at 8:25 AM, Longboard Horn said:

This and this. Baylor will end up in the American and UH will remain in the American. No other P5 wants Baylor.

I could see Baylor in Mountain West, (don't be surprised if Washington State & Oregon State are there too, depending if XII poaches a certain league)...
The sad thing, before Art Briles & the rape cases, I looked at Baylor as the friendly little Texas school (think little engine that could) but not as of now...

Got a notice about homecoming this week. Had a touching story of a BU engineer who saw a need to help autistic kids and so he put that brainpower to work. Seems that these kids at least anecdotally can get some help from riding horses, equine therapy. Strengthens muscles, fosters better wiring in the brain etc... Anyway, the genius decided that for kids who can't afford a horse or don't have access to a horse he'd invent a machine that mimics the motion of a horse. So yeah, he spent who knows how much time studying and mapping the movements of horses and created a machine that mimics that. Not surprisingly they called it, no shit, the MiraColt. Miracolt on the Brazos.

Pretty sure I saw one of those in front of Piggly-Wiggly when I was a kid, cost a dime to ride.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Got a notice about homecoming this week. Had a touching story of a BU engineer who saw a need to help autistic kids and so he put that brainpower to work. Seems that these kids at least anecdotally can get some help from riding horses, equine therapy. Strengthens muscles, fosters better wiring in the brain etc... Anyway, the genius decided that for kids who can't afford a horse or don't have access to a horse he'd invent a machine that mimics the motion of a horse. So yeah, he spent who knows how much time studying and mapping the movements of horses and created a machine that mimics that. Not surprisingly they called it, no shit, the MiraColt. Miracolt on the Brazos.

Pretty sure I saw one of those in front of Piggly-Wiggly when I was a kid, cost a dime to ride.

Green aggy indeed. 

3 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Got a notice about homecoming this week. Had a touching story of a BU engineer who saw a need to help autistic kids and so he put that brainpower to work. Seems that these kids at least anecdotally can get some help from riding horses, equine therapy. Strengthens muscles, fosters better wiring in the brain etc... 

Saw that on an episode of Quincy, back in the day, which featured a very young Helen Hunt. 

When I was a kid during the ‘70s, they actually had a “Bear Pen” on campus, where they kept the actual live mascot.

I went to games back then and early ‘80s, when they had Singletary at LB and I remember Walter Abercrombie at RB!

My Dad coached HS players that played for both BU and opponents.

So how can they postpone the game today vs okie St, but are allowed to have homecoming festivities inside the stadium? Hundreds of people, in close contact- isn’t that what they would’ve had for the game!?

I’ve lived here nearly 30 years. During that time, hoops players have murdered each other, coaches & admin cover it up. Football gets away with recruiting thugs who rape, etc. 

The big-12 should make ‘em forfeit the game. I swear, baylor gets away with whatever they want. 

7 hours ago, Mossyhorn said:

So how can they postpone the game today vs okie St, but are allowed to have homecoming festivities inside the stadium? Hundreds of people, in close contact- isn’t that what they would’ve had for the game!?

I’ve lived here nearly 30 years. During that time, hoops players have murdered each other, coaches & admin cover it up. Football gets away with recruiting thugs who rape, etc. 

The big-12 should make ‘em forfeit the game. I swear, baylor gets away with whatever they want. 

What year was it they started allowing the dancing? Just sayin'....

On 10/16/2020 at 10:19 PM, LTtxfan said:

Pardon the repeat post from another thread, but can't help myself when it comes to these guys:

"Great to see that the Covid test kit results at Baylor take just one week.

Sadly, the Rape test kit results at Baylor still take one decade."

25 years from now, there'll be a book about that place simply called, "When Rapists Roamed Texas."  

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30142470/baylor-bears-resume-practice-surge-covid-19-cases

Baylor Bears resume practice after surge in COVID-19 cases 

The Baylor football team returned to practice Sunday, resuming on-field activities after the latest pause for COVID-19 issues, a team official confirmed to ESPN.

On Oct. 8, Baylor announced all team activities were on pause so the school could evaluate recent positive COVID-19 tests and conduct contact-tracing protocols. The Big 12 announced Oct. 11 that Baylor's game with Oklahoma State, scheduled for this past Saturday in Stillwater, had been moved to Dec. 12.

Athletic director Mack Rhoades on Oct. 12 told SicEm365 Radio that there were 28 active cases of COVID-19 among players and 14 among football staff members. Rhoades said he thought the outbreak was linked to someone who received a false negative test for the virus but then traveled with the team for an Oct. 3 game at West Virginia.

Baylor has had three games postponed because of COVID-19 issues, including its opener against Louisiana Tech and a Sept. 19 matchup against Houston.

The Bears are scheduled to visit Texas on Saturday.

On 10/17/2020 at 4:54 PM, Mossyhorn said:

You forgot about the baseball team skinning a cat.  Don’t let that one slide!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, cochamps said:

You forgot about the baseball team skinning a cat.  Don’t let that one slide!

¡Que viva el gato Queso!

(also, did not know that UT students killed a bear mascot with a wrench in 1961)

https://sharkonline.org/index.php/animal-cruelty/captivity/663-baylor-s-long-cruel-history

Edited by nnm
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 10/16/2020 at 12:29 PM, LTtxfan said:

Former Baylor Head Coach Art Briles Discusses NEW Details That Prove He Shouldn't Have Been Fired

I have no sympathy for Briles. But how did the players who committed all those crimes get away with it? They should all be in prison get raped.

• 2 months later...

Crazy thought:  Would Aranda consider hiring Mensa and Yancy McKnight??  (Offset of their pay from contracts at TEXAS makes it financially affordable.)

Aranda signals big changes coming with offensive staff

ByTIM WATKINS 22 hours ago 

Being the head coach usually puts you in the position to make the tough calls. Do we go for it on fourth down or kick it? Do we recruit this player or that player? Do we change our coaching staff? Today, Coach Dave Aranda made a tough choice by moving on from offensive coordinator Larry Fedora and passing game coordinator Jorge Munoz.

Those two offensive staff changes have been confirmed, with heavy changes expected on the strength and conditioning side of the football operations staff as well in addition to some other off the field roles. This is massive news for a Baylor offense that struggled mightily in 2020 due to many reasons. You could point to the play-calling, the quarterback play, offensive line play, the lack of a spring camp, the lack of a full fall camp, and the Covid reality that limited players and shuffled them in and out of the lineup.

The thought was this was a mulligan year for the Bears offense and we would get a better picture of what Fedora, Munoz and the offensive staff could do with a true season. That won't happen. Coach Aranda had seen enough, even with all of the above reasons being very valid. The system didn't work, even with the high expectations of a former hot-shot coordinator and head coach being joined by a rising star that was a key piece of the LSU offensive juggernaut in 2020.

This was one of the worries that some had in regards to the first time head coach. Aranda was one of the elite defensive coordinators in the country for years, but he had no experience being the head man, making these tough choices. Would he be too passive and give the benefit of the doubt to a proven (a while ago at least) coordinator and a coach he saw first-hand have success? Would he make the classic mistake of making the change a year too late? In this case, Aranda was proactive and decisive.

Baylor will be moving in a new direction, but maybe not a different one. There are still limitations on the offensive line, Baylor is extremely young at the quarterback position with very little in-game experience to point to. As of right now, the Bears still have tight ends coach Shawn Bell (someone that our Scotty Swingler advocates for being the new OC) and running backs coach Justin Johnson on staff. Offensive line coach Joe Wickline is still on staff as well, though his long-term partnership with Larry Fedora and their ties together make that interesting as well.

Now it will be up to Dave Aranda to figure out the best way to build his staff, on his second try. The first didn't work with an offense that ranked 118th in total offense with 310.2 yards per game, 125th in yards per play at 4.44, and only scored 23.3 points per game (99th nationally). That isn't good enough for Baylor and it was obviously not good enough for Dave Aranda.

On 10/16/2020 at 3:12 PM, El Diablo said:

Yeah, but inquiring minds want to know if you lasted 8 seconds and what you marked?😀

• 2 weeks later...