Arrival

iodeac

I'm sure there was a thread about this left behind on the old board, but I just rewatched it and it might be in my all-time top ten. I'm basically obsessed with Spanish and I love how the movie deals with language acquisition and how it's perceived. I just got back from a trip to Colombia with about 18 other people and I was surprised to hear that I was the only person who has dreams on another language. Definitely interested to see what you all think.

Also, the Max Richter score at the beginning and end got me. I think Leftovers will always be in my mind because of his work there and I recognized that same style in this movie

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

The language stuff wasn’t that interesting to me, but it’s probably a top 15 or top 10 movie for me.

I loved how they marketed the movie as an alien movie when it was anything but that. That was just the setting.

Also hit close to home at the time as we had just found our pregnant with our first child. My wife cried really really hard

4 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

I loved how they marketed the movie as an alien movie when it was anything but that. That was just the setting.

Agree.  It was a device for a greater philosophical debate about whether you would do anything differently if you knew the outcome of your future.  At least that was my take away. 

Love this movie.  Need to watch it again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

Agree.  It was a device for a greater philosophical debate about whether you would do anything differently if you knew the outcome of your future.  At least that was my take away. 

Love this movie.  Need to watch it again.

try reading the short story it was based off of by Ted Chiang. He has two collections of philosophical short stories like this, though Arrival/Story of Your Life, is the only one involving aliens.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Viper said:

try reading the short story it was based off of by Ted Chiang. He has two collections of philosophical short stories like this, though Arrival/Story of Your Life, is the only one involving aliens.

Read the whole collection/book that "Arrival" was in.  Great stories.  I especially liked the Tower of Babel and the "genetically altered smart guy" story.

• 3 years later...
On 2/27/2020 at 2:35 AM, Viper said:

This, the story is fantastic. Short but strong.

On 2/26/2020 at 9:54 AM, HoustonFrog said:

The language stuff wasn’t that interesting to me, but it’s probably a top 15 or top 10 movie for me.

Also hit close to home at the time as we had just found our pregnant with our first child. My wife cried really really hard

that really hung me up as I kept thinking can we pause linguistics class and get back to the aliens?  I probably need to watch it with absolutely no alcohol.