Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Dak makes more than $40M/year. Kyler's gonna get more than that as I'm told that's the going rate for franchise QB's -- if he's a franchise QB.

His contract isn’t up, right? So what’s he going to do? Hold out, get fined, and not play? Good luck with that- the team won without him

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

His contract isn’t up, right? So what’s he going to do? Hold out, get fined, and not play? Good luck with that- the team won without him

Sounds like he has one year remaining and then his rookie contract will be over. He will get Dak-level money at least, I would imagine.

26 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Sounds like he has one year remaining and then his rookie contract will be over. He will get Dak-level money at least, I would imagine.

If they exercise the 5th year option on first round picks, which they will, he is under contract for 2 more seasons. Then they can franchise him the year after at a “reasonable” rate. Basically the Cardinals can go year-to-year here until 2025 without making a long term guaranteed $ commitment. Mahomes and Watson got their mega extensions at the end of Year 4, so Kyler is a little short on experience to be demanding top 5 pay for 5+ years guaranteed. He is also not as good as them. 

These QB contracts kill teams. If you’re going to take up 20%+ of your team’s salary cap, you better fucking play like Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Brady (who never made that much), Brees, etc. When teams hand it out to the Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr types it will not end well and you will probably be drafting your next QB in a couple years. The Browns don’t want to give Mayfield the money. We’ll see if/when the Cowboys regret giving it to Dak. 

Edited by Murfdogg21
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If the exercise the 5th year option on first round picks, which they will, he is under contract for 2 more seasons. Then they can franchise him the year after at a “reasonable” rate. Basically the Cardinals can go year-to-year here without making a long term commitment. Mahomes and Watson got their mega extensions at the end of Year 4, so Kyler is a little short on experience to be demanding top 5 pay for 5+ years guaranteed. He is also not as good as them. 

These QB contracts kill teams. If you’re going to take up 20%+ of your team’s salary cap, you better fucking play like Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Brady (who never made that much), Brees, etc. When teams hand it out to the Joe Flacco, Matt Ryan, Derek Carr types it will not end well and you will probably be drafting your next QB in a couple years. The Browns don’t want to give Mayfield the money. We’ll see if/when the Cowboys regret giving it to Dak. 

Gotcha. Agreed about QB contracts crippling teams. You have this mad dash to win a title when they're still on their rookie contracts.

I think Kyler is taking the Zeke approach here. Jerry was stupid enough to call Zeke's bluff, though.

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

If they exercise the 5th year option on first round picks, which they will, he is under contract for 2 more seasons. Then they can franchise him the year after at a “reasonable” rate. Basically the Cardinals can go year-to-year here until 2025 without making a long term guaranteed $ commitment. Mahomes and Watson got their mega extensions at the end of Year 4, so Kyler is a little short on experience to be demanding top 5 pay for 5+ years guaranteed. He is also not as good as them. 

Josh Allen got his extension heading into his 4th season, so thats what Kyler will probably be pointing to. And KM's  stats for his first three seasons compare favorably (Allen had him on winning %). The move paid off for Buffalo, but then again Allen isn't a little manlet bitch. 

17 hours ago, Jive Turkey said:

sounds like we dodged a bullet with him.  Kyler damn near broke college football Twitter when he tweeted that pic from his visit with Charlie.  

Dodged a bullet? Bruh we fucking SUCKED SHIT with Strong I'd have rooted for this little midget if he was wearing burnt orange.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

siap:

The Cardinals have their own concerns about Murray, with sources describing the 2019 No. 1 overall pick as self-centered, immature and someone who points fingers.

Arizona coach Kliff Kingsbury is said to be self-scouting where he can provide better alternatives to help Murray, according to sources. Meanwhile, select veterans on the team hope to reach out to Murray on how the 24-year-old can better handle adversity, sources said.

Despite the acrimony, the Cardinals expect things to calm down and for Murray to be their quarterback of the present and future.

https://sports.yahoo.com/amid-reported-friction-with-kyler-murray-cardinals-say-they-have-high-regard-for-franchise-qb-203902387.html

3 minutes ago, torre said:

siap:

The Cardinals have their own concerns about Murray, with sources describing the 2019 No. 1 overall pick as self-centered, immature and someone who points fingers.

Arizona coach Kliff Kingsbury is said to be self-scouting where he can provide better alternatives to help Murray, according to sources. Meanwhile, select veterans on the team hope to reach out to Murray on how the 24-year-old can better handle adversity, sources said.

Despite the acrimony, the Cardinals expect things to calm down and for Murray to be their quarterback of the present and future.

https://sports.yahoo.com/amid-reported-friction-with-kyler-murray-cardinals-say-they-have-high-regard-for-franchise-qb-203902387.html

He is such a little bitch. I’m pretty sure if I was Arizona I’d be exploring options on the trade market. I don’t think he’s a guy you ever win a super bowl with. 

• Like 2

Agreed on the QB contracts. Rodgers is probably going to be the highest paid qb soon. But GB should rethink that. Despite his greatness, they keep coming up short. Maybe spend that money on upgrading the other 52 positions. Just my unpopular opinion.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Zeus said:

Dodged a bullet? Bruh we fucking SUCKED SHIT with Strong I'd have rooted for this little midget if he was wearing burnt orange.

The only bullet that was dodged was the possibility of Murray winning a couple more games a season and strong  sticking around for a few more years

9 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

The only bullet that was dodged was the possibility of Murray winning a couple more games a season and strong  sticking around for a few more years

Didn’t Kyler have to sit out 2016 anyhow? I don’t think he’d have won Charlie a few more games sitting on the bench that year.  He would have been tanned, rested and ready for Tom though 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Didn’t Kyler have to sit out 2016 anyhow? I don’t think he’d have won Charlie a few more games sitting on the bench that year.  He would have been tanned, rested and ready for Tom though 

He would have died ramming his head into our Guard’s ass over and over. 

Wait. That sounds a little gay. 

Agreed on the QB contracts. Rodgers is probably going to be the highest paid qb soon. But GB should rethink that. Despite his greatness, they keep coming up short. Maybe spend that money on upgrading the other 52 positions. Just my unpopular opinion.

Rodgers is under contract in 22 with a $46m cap hit. 23 is a voidable year. GB is $48m over the cap. They have to shed a ton of cap $ immediately with restructures and cuts. Rodgers has said he does not want to play in a rebuilding situation. They should trade him to a contender missing a QB.

Murray’s agent is using Buffalo’s extension of Allen after three years as the precedent. If they commit to him they will exercise his 5th year option this spring. In 24 they can franchise him at the avg of the five top qb salaries. His deal voids if he quits for mlb,

12 hours ago, Js1 said:

I was considering the year before when he took a last minute surprise visit as a high school recruit.  I believe Charlie had just landed Malik Jefferson and had some mild recruiting momentum.  
That year Charlie signed Kai locks key and something called Matthew merrick.  

13 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Well then maybe we don't hire turtle and suck shit for the next 4 years.

2 hours ago, Zeus said:

Well then maybe we don't hire turtle and suck shit for the next 4 years.

Here's a possible butterfly effect:

Kyler wins enough for Strong that he beats Kansas.

Texas never hires Herman.

LSU hires Herman.

LSU never wins title, Burrow either does not go to LSU or does and they suck balls. Burrow does not win the Heisman, is not drafted by the Bengals, and the Bengals do not make the Super Bowl.

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2022/02/13/kyler-murray-colt-mccoy-wild-card-loss?utm_source=reddit.com

NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo reports Murray asked out of the game near the end of the fourth quarter when it was clear Arizona was going to lose.

“The playoff game [in Los Angeles] a minute left, the game had been decided, backup Colt McCoy encouraged Murray to finish the game with his teammates,” Garafolo said. “A banged-up Murray said no, that’s it, I’m done.”

Garafolo added Arizona took note of that decision by Murray.

“A lot of Cardinals folks were not happy with that.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

Still not as big of a gaping cunt as Baker Mayfield.

I know they're our rivals and we don't like them anyway, but OU has had quite the run of really, really unlikable assholes at QB. Who was the last one that anyone could stand to be around? Bradford, maybe?

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I know they're our rivals and we don't like them anyway, but OU has had quite the run of really, really unlikable assholes at QB. Who was the last one that anyone could stand to be around? Bradford, maybe?

OU's gotten many of their recent QBs from Texas. Texas has so many college football options to pick from that it may take a contrarian personality to leave Texas. So you may be selecting from a prickly personality type to start from.

He's a hyper-religious, but Trevor Knight seems like a normal person.

People who knew him as a high schooler liked Caleb Williams. Neither UT nor OU fans (mostly) like him much now.

13 hours ago, tokamak said:

What a coincidence. All their coaches have also been unlikeable assholes. And for that matter, the whole state is just one giant bowl of shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Llogg said:

LSU hires Herman.

LSU never wins title, Burrow either does not go to LSU or does and they suck balls. Burrow does not win the Heisman, is not drafted by the Bengals, and the Bengals do not make the Super Bowl.

image.thumb.jpeg.d54e75618897a95919119a1add6549ad.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

LSU hires Herman.

Imagine if Strong hired Lincoln Riley, OC from East Carolina (on Scip’s list of Top OC’s) instead of Shawn Watson.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

• 2 weeks later...