Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/10/2019 at 4:51 AM, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Vikings could use a faster kickoff tee retriever. I'd use a 6th on him

I get the joke and know Cousins led the offense to a decent, if somewhat average, season, but you can’t tell me you wouldn’t be curious as hell to see Kyler feeding the ball to Diggs and Thielen.

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

There's so much to unpack in this situation, especially in how could the A's sweeten the deal and operate within their CBA.  Things within those twitter threads I find interesting, if true, are:

1.  MLB is actually trying to helps the A's by most likely playing sounding board to the legality of additional compensation ideas being thrown around but it goes to the notion that MLB realizes it has an African-American issue.

2.  I don't like the kid, but good for him.  Use his leverage to get as much as he can now before his leverage dissipates.  MLB, particularly has one of the more management friendly, artificial ceiling rookie constructs.

3.  He's going pro, no matter what.  So none of this going back to Norman bullshit.

https://deadspin.com/tell-me-again-why-kyler-murray-would-ever-want-to-play-1831719814

That Murray would even consider playing football is an indictment of MLB’s financial system, especially for young players. That signing bonus seems nice right now, but he’d have to play in the minors for a few years for less than a living wage (and deal with all those crappy hotel rooms and long bus rides), then if he makes the majors he’d earn the league minimum for three seasons, then he hits his arbitration years, and only then would he get the chance to hit free agency and sign that first big-money contract. Even if Murray turns out to be an excellent ballplayer, he would be nearing 30 before he’d first be allowed to negotiate for what he’s worth.

Compare this with the path to the NFL. If Murray goes in the first round, he would earn more guaranteed money on his rookie deal than he would from the Athletics’ signing bonus; he would have a chance to start within a year or two; he would be in line for his first big payday in just four years. Even the argument that baseball is safer than football doesn’t particularly apply to quarterbacks.

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Really don't see Kyler having success in NFL.

First time I ever saw him play was the state title game when he was a sophomore against Houston Lamar. Looked about 5'8 and ran with the ball completely unsecure. I was convinced high school defenses would easily figure him out by the next season. 2 years later he goes to college and I really thought it was the end of the line for him, then he eventually won the Heisman. He's a megadouche and about as unlikeable as they come, but he's done nothing but prove me wrong his whole career. At this point I won't believe he'll be unsuccessful in the NFL until I actually see him go and suck in the games. 

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

There is legitimate thought that Lou Gehrig had CTE and that much of what we call ALS is a variant.

This is true and ALS fucking blows.  Just check out some films of patients with advancing ALS and most people would retire early...

Wouldn't wish ALS on my worst enemy.  

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

First time I ever saw him play was the state title game when he was a sophomore against Houston Lamar. Looked about 5'8 and ran with the ball completely unsecure. I was convinced high school defenses would easily figure him out by the next season. 2 years later he goes to college and I really thought it was the end of the line for him, then he eventually won the Heisman. He's a megadouche and about as unlikeable as they come, but he's done nothing but prove me wrong his whole career. At this point I won't believe he'll be unsuccessful in the NFL until I actually see him go and suck in the games. 

Especially today's NFL, the QB is protected and he's very smart about sliding etc...I don't see him being a total bust.  Get paid to hold a clipboard as a backup for 10 years  Don't take the abuse to your body and retire after bringing in 25-40M.  Not a bad way to go. 

4 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

So if he takes the deal then he's on the 40 man roster? Pretty big gamble since the only way to get him off is to put him on the DL, DFA him, or outright release him. 

Especially because most think he was drafted for his potential but is still very raw.  Going right to the 40 man roster is pretty crazy.  I don't know much about baseball but I don't see why there's THAT much love for the kid. 

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Especially today's NFL, the QB is protected and he's very smart about sliding etc...I don't see him being a total bust.  Get paid to hold a clipboard as a backup for 10 years  Don't take the abuse to your body and retire after bringing in 25-40M.  Not a bad way to go. 

But if Raiders and Kliffy pass on Kyler, will he still be drafted in the 1st Round??

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

But if Raiders and Kliffy pass on Kyler, will he still be drafted in the 1st Round??

Supposedly several teams have first round grade on him.  NFL teams always seem to reach at QB anyway.  He'll tear up the combine and go in round 1.  Well tear up the combine except when they measure him at 5'7''.  

11 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

So if he takes the deal then he's on the 40 man roster? Pretty big gamble since the only way to get him off is to put him on the DL, DFA him, or outright release him. 

Yes, he would have to be added to the 40 man roster to sign a MLB deal (as opposed to the minor league deal he has already signed). 

Oakland must really like him to want to spend that type of money on him at this stage of his career. 

14 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Especially because most think he was drafted for his potential but is still very raw.  Going right to the 40 man roster is pretty crazy.  I don't know much about baseball but I don't see why there's THAT much love for the kid. 

Yeah this is where I'm at...I think Murray could become a good player, but the extent to which the A's are bending over backward to sign him surprises me. He has the tools but is a long way from being a major leaguer. If he signs and reports this spring, he's looking at likely spending all of 2019 in A ball, and if that goes well, starting '20 in AA. If he progresses well, he could be in Oakland by sometime in 2021. Again, that's if he hits the ground running (showing little rust from not playing baseball for the last 9 months) and advances fairly quickly. Maybe he moves more quickly, but that is unlikely. 

He’d be eligible for arbitration in 2023.  He would be spending the early cheap years that are normally spent at the big league club down in the minors.  Oakland might only get four years out of him with the big league club before he hits free agency if he spends two years in the minors. Weird gamble in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

He’d be eligible for arbitration in 2023.  He would be spending the early cheap years that are normally spent at the big league club down in the minors.  Oakland might only get four years out of him with the big league club before he hits free agency if he spends two years in the minors. Weird gamble in my opinion. 

A's don't have deep pockets like the Red Sox or Yankees either........

Maybe A's are trying to salvage some value from their 1st Rd pick of Kyler, and plan to trade him as soon as possible to a larger market team that would love the attention Kyler brings.

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I don’t think there is a chance in hell he makes a difference in the NFL.
He’s 5’7”. Even if he got on a team with a stellar line he is not going to be able to scramble and slide all the time.

Watching these playoffs even with the QB protection rules playing the position effectively is a brutal ordeal.  Brees can do it because he is an exceptional athlete with a gun for an arm.  Kyler fits that description but I am skeptical too.  He’s just so small.  

As an Astros fan, I don’t feel like I can lose here. This guy can fuck the A’s, which works for me. Or force them to overpay him, whether he works out or not, it’s a disadvantage to their org versus everyone else. If he goes to the NFL, sorry, he’s going to be a funny joke or sideshow. I can’t lose. 

• Like 2