Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

There's burgeoning hype being passed around in baseball circles regarding the prospect status of a one Kyler Murray. There were MLB teams in Norman this week who sat down with the guy and he's picking up a ton of contact. Much of this is sparked by the reality that KM has a decent toolkit put together that makes him projectable as a CF, which makes his valuable. Add to that that it looks like he's putting the tools together to have a decent season, and he's starting to draw a lot of interest. 

Murray was viewed as a prospect heading into his SR year in high school. He then warded any MLB teams off from drafting him, as he was tiny balls deep in Aggie at the time. Then, last season for the okies, Murray had an abysmal year and his prospect status fell of the radar. This year has changed that.

Now, don't get me wrong, there's probably going to be nothing to this. But maybe...

If Murray were to get drafted and leave OU, the choices are not pretty. They're left with Austin Kendall and Tanner Schafer to duke it out at QB heading into 2018. That would be the most potent duo since Ace and Gary. So basically, a highly drafted Kyler Murray would put a rough buttfuck on the Sooners. Of course they'll show up to tell me how wrong I am, but it wouldn't look pretty.

One other thing that's truly interesting about this situation is that Kyler Murray's uncle is Calvin Murray, the Longhorn baseball legend. Calvin works for, and closely with, Scott Boras. Kyler Murray's ability to maximize his upside in the draft is tied to a willingness to forego another punishing season as a college QB. Murray knows he has no NFL prospects as a QB and is enjoying the baseball season. It all could very well come down to how important it is for Kyler Murray to be the starting QB at OU. If that's not important and he continues to thrive on the diamond, the okies will be shitting themselves come August. 

• Like 1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

does he or does he not seem like he sucks?

p.s. wasn't OP the guy who predicted Bama was going to gargle our balls last year? Spot on.  

Indeed, sir. 

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/180930-2017-Alabama-Is-Going-To-Gargle-Your-Balls

I don't know if it is a top 5 or a top 10 bulletin board move on my end, all time, but it's on my list. I gilded a printout of the post and it hangs on my wall next to my "Why Texas Stomps a Mudhole in Stanford's Ass" thread from Hornfans in 2000 just before we flew out to Palo Alto.

• Like 1

He had an early-round toolkit in high school, and that stuff doesn't go away.

He has put up really solid numbers this season.

If he tells scouts that he'll sign, I'd expect he'll go in the first three rounds and be gone. 

Part of me would like him to stay and see how he plays because he was so fucking electric in high school, but the much bigger part of me is FUCK OU.

This thread is kind of Aggy.  What really completes it is the 'his uncle was a Longhorn legend'.  Aggy always has some relationship to some other relationship which will lead to good fortune for Aggy.   Only it never seems to work out.   But those fuckers should rename themselves NextTime A&M.  You guys are better than that. 

Murray is a midget AND a Sooner.  A Sooner who practiced cock gobbling skills in SheepFucker Station.  How could he suck more?  You should have left it at that. 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 3

34 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

There's burgeoning hype being passed around in baseball circles regarding the prospect status of a one Kyler Murray. There were MLB teams in Norman this week who sat down with the guy and he's picking up a ton of contact. Much of this is sparked by the reality that KM has a decent toolkit put together that makes him projectable as a CF, which makes his valuable. Add to that that it looks like he's putting the tools together to have a decent season, and he's starting to draw a lot of interest. 

Murray was viewed as a prospect heading into his SR year in high school. He then warded any MLB teams off from drafting him, as he was tiny balls deep in Aggie at the time. Then, last season for the okies, Murray had an abysmal year and his prospect status fell of the radar. This year has changed that.

Now, don't get me wrong, there's probably going to be nothing to this. But maybe...

If Murray were to get drafted and leave OU, the choices are not pretty. They're left with Austin Kendall and Tanner Schafer to duke it out at QB heading into 2018. That would be the most potent duo since Ace and Gary. So basically, a highly drafted Kyler Murray would put a rough buttfuck on the Sooners. Of course they'll show up to tell me how wrong I am, but it wouldn't look pretty.

One other thing that's truly interesting about this situation is that Kyler Murray's uncle is Calvin Murray, the Longhorn baseball legend. Calvin works for, and closely with, Scott Boras. Kyler Murray's ability to maximize his upside in the draft is tied to a willingness to forego another punishing season as a college QB. Murray knows he has no NFL prospects as a QB and is enjoying the baseball season. It all could very well come down to how important it is for Kyler Murray to be the starting QB at OU. If that's not important and he continues to thrive on the diamond, the okies will be shitting themselves come August. 

All I have to add is Tanner Mordecai will be in Norman this summer. And both Kendall and Murray are good enough to win the Big 12. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Unless something has changed recently, he can do both.  If he is drafted in the MLB, he can still play QB but just not on scholarship.  He'd have to be a walkon and pay his way.

MLB is out of the business of drafting 21-yo guys and letting them also play football in the spring and fall.

They'll still do that with a kid out of HS who would only be playing short-season ball or complex league his first year, but they'll want a guy Kyler's age to either start in A-ball in the spring and/or go to instructional league in the fall if they're spending a high draft pick on him.  

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

This right here.....he can either get out while the getting is good for him. Or he can take the risk of playing football and possibly suffer an injury like Sam Bradford did and then he's really fucked. Choose wisely midget...I mean gnome...I mean Kyler..nothing wrong with falling back on a degree from OU. You'll be the assistant manager at the Norman Mcdonalds in no time. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

200.gif

Kyler was a bust at aggy and will probably suck at ou as well.

Yep.  My give a shit meter on this one reads a flat zero.

I appreciate the effort, and your story telling was at the level we've all come to expect.

Edited by Amos Moses
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

I appreciate the effort, and your story telling was at the level we've all come to expect.

This.  This is how you give a backhanded complement.  Surly is heating up quite nicely.  

Am I the only one that hope he stays?

I'm really looking forward to see him get smashed into the cotton bowl turf by Charles O or Breckyn "the mighty Thor" Hager this fall. A tiny little greasy spot in the turf once they scrape him up..

He hit .122 last year.  He's having a nice start this year with 12 XBH including 5 HRs.  That said, he still is hitting less .300 and has a K% north of 30%.  He's not on anyone's top 100 prospects right now, nor any deeper lists.  He's a fantastic athlete and frankly, he has more pro potential in baseball so I understand the thought process.  However, he transferred from aggy for football, not baseball, and he's finally found the starting job he's been whining (looking) for after 3 years.  He's always been about seeing what he can do in football.  The percentage he goes into the MLB draft are slim IMHO....

• Like 1

He fucked by not choosing Texas the first time and Charlie fucked up by not taking him from aggy. That said I'd much rather have him putzing around in the minors than at OU regardless of the bravado anyone displays here.
We dodged a bullet..

2 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Unless something has changed recently, he can do both.  If he is drafted in the MLB, he can still play QB but just not on scholarship.  He'd have to be a walkon and pay his way.

Whoever drafts him is not gonna let him play QB at OU.  That's just nuts.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, futureman said:

I don’t care what happens as long as we beat them in the cotton bowl. 

but I did look at his baseball profile on soonersports and saw he’s listed at 5’11” and then I laughed. 

2015 aggy football  roster - 5'11" 188 lbs

2016 ou football roster - 5'10" 195 lbs

2017 ou football roster - 5'10" 192 lbs

2018 ou football roster - 5'10" 190 lbs

2018 ou baseball roster - 5'11" 195 lbs

Kyler's stature peaked in high school and that frame can't take too many hits.

I want to see him play football this season. If he can acquire nachos like johnny football did he will survive the season. If he can't he will be roadkill at some point and if it does happen I hope it happens in the cotton bowl.

I saw the kid at a 7-11 in Allen 5 years ago and i was too slow on the draw with the phone as he was standing at the door on the way out next to the colored ruler used by the staff to guess the height of robbers.   With a close fro and thick hightops he scraped 5'10".  Scraped.  Barely.  I think he's 5'9".

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This thread is kind of Aggy.  What really completes it is the 'his uncle was a Longhorn legend'.  Aggy always has some relationship to some other relationship which will lead to good fortune for Aggy.   Only it never seems to work out.   But those fuckers should rename themselves NextTime A&M.  You guys are better than that. 

Murray is a midget AND a Sooner.  A Sooner who practiced cock gobbling skills in SheepFucker Station.  How could he suck more?  You should have left it at that. 

4 hours ago, Amos Moses said:

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This.  This is how you give a backhanded complement.  Surly is heating up quite nicely.  

Man, tough crowd in here. I was providing some discussion fodder in the offseason about our hated rival and sneaky midget of a QB, to be sure. That said, I see no harm in it and what I'm passing on is a legitimate item to watch heading to June. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

He hit .122 last year.  He's having a nice start this year with 12 XBH including 5 HRs.  That said, he still is hitting less .300 and has a K% north of 30%.  He's not on anyone's top 100 prospects right now, nor any deeper lists.  He's a fantastic athlete and frankly, he has more pro potential in baseball so I understand the thought process.  However, he transferred from aggy for football, not baseball, and he's finally found the starting job he's been whining (looking) for after 3 years.  He's always been about seeing what he can do in football.  The percentage he goes into the MLB draft are slim IMHO....

Your logic is fine, but I wasn't making up what I was opining on here. He's being interviewed by scouts about contract expectations and stuff, based on an early round take. 

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Man, tough crowd in here. I was providing some discussion fodder in the offseason about our hated rival and sneaky midget of a QB, to be sure. That said, I see no harm in it and what I'm passing on is a legitimate item to watch heading to June. 

ChiTown is a sooner. Of course he's going to downplay your post.

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

ChiTown is a sooner. Of course he's going to downplay your post.

True - but if you've followed me on here I rarely am a homer.  I just call it like I see it.  Plenty of shit to make fun of about OU, much of it legit...I can laugh it off.  Hell, half the jokes are about just how backwards that state is...and I couldn't agree more.  Was happy to GTFO. 

Is Tanner Schafer that bad? I'm honestly asking. I saw him play several times when he was in HS. I saw a tall, very skinny kid, playing small time high school football, but he was accurate. To further my lack of evaluation skills, he went as a PWO. I thought he was tailor made for Tech, but a lot of people in the panhandle are OU idjits, so I thought maybe he wanted a pilot's license or a Breaking Bad degree.