Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

Saying he wan't wanted here is incorrect. He is an elite athlete. We needed QBs, even little, tiny ones. Taking him from aggy would have been tasty. But, him blowing off aggy and Sumlin (and in the process pising off Allen to the point he split too)  was delicious, and if he proceeds to the MLB, thereby fucking ou over also, well, that's just a 5 star, 7 course gormet meal. Given his size and likely logevity issues, he probably did more for us by not coming here. I don't know if his presence would have hurt us recruiting this most recent QB crop, but it couldn't have helped. 

• Like 1

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes.  Ricky Williams was technically a walk-in when he played at Texas.  He signed with the Phillies and that made him ineligible for a scholarship. If memory serves me correctly, the Phillies picked up his college tuition.
if the argument is that it hasn’t happened recently, then that is probably correct.  But it has happened in the past.
On a side note, Ricky (not Baker) was the first walk on to win the Heisman. 
Wouldn't that technically make RW the only non-scholarship Heisman winner? Pretty sure blowU was paying Fakers tuition last year. (and bail)

47 minutes ago, ousux said:
19 hours ago, JOSEYWALES66 said:
Yes.  Ricky Williams was technically a walk-in when he played at Texas.  He signed with the Phillies and that made him ineligible for a scholarship. If memory serves me correctly, the Phillies picked up his college tuition.
if the argument is that it hasn’t happened recently, then that is probably correct.  But it has happened in the past.

Wouldn't that technically make RW the only non-scholarship Heisman winner? Pretty sure blowU was paying Fakers tuition last year. (and bail)

The Heisman was promoting Baker as the only former walkon to win.  They weren't referring to the current year.

The Heisman was promoting Baker as the only former walkon to win.  They weren't referring to the current year.
Also technically not true since he was offered scholarships to at least 2 different schools, just turns out those schools weren't good enough for the royal highness so he chose to PWO at sand aggy instead.

23 hours ago, 6th Street said:

At least Murray knows how to throw a football.

Shane has a noodle arm and Sam has poor accuracy and makes terrible decisions. 

I think I hear shaggy calling you. You would be a pretty big deal over there.

Edited by Vertigo

23 hours ago, ousux said:
On 4/12/2018 at 6:42 PM, JOSEYWALES66 said:

Read more  

Fakers?   Good one!

Like Thujone said the QB position for OU has been Longhorn kryptonite.  But the things that makes guys like Kyler dangerous is when they go after every extra yard on a scramble or throw their body around to help the team.  This guy will duck out of bounds early and often and if he he does take a couple of direct hits he will be practicing his bat swing on the sideline.  In high school he was so much faster than everyone else but now he will have some large guys who can put some big hits on him.  IMO the bigger corncern will be Kendall if Riley can do a good job of developing him.  That said, I think OU will have some heavy struggles at QB in 2018.  

Edited by stork642

3 hours ago, stork642 said:

Like Thujone said the QB position for OU has been Longhorn kryptonite.  But the things that makes guys like Kyler dangerous is when they go after every extra yard on a scramble or throw their body around to help the team.  This guy will duck out of bounds early and often and if he he does take a couple of direct hits he will be practicing his bat swing on the sideline.  In high school he was so much faster than everyone else but now he will have some large guys who can put some big hits on him.  IMO the bigger corncern will be Kendall if Riley can do a good job of developing him.  That said, I think OU will have some heavy struggles at QB in 2018.  

It's nearly impossible to replace Mayfield's production. They will still have a healthy running game with Kyler or Kendall at QB because of their OL development. If we bring the same physicality on defense as we did in last year's RRS we should be ok as long as we stop their counter runs. 

4 hours ago, Fud said:

I don't recall this being true. Link?

That projection was if he stayed at SS, which he obviously didn’t.

http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=3651

Full text: http://www.insider2text.xyz/articles/b2b8666d95c5f2b3

If Murray proves he can stay at short, I think he has top-10 overall talent, although much of that is projection based on his grade-80 athletic ability.”

• Like 1

So if Murray leaves, then OU has Austin Kendall, a redshirt soph with 2 games played.  They also have couple of walk-on QB's.    Then Tanner Mordecai,  a true freshman arrives in the fall.  Kyler gonna fuck up the OU depth chart just like he did at aggy.  Good times!

Edited by lemonandaturd
  • Like 1

He’s probably a little bitch, but I watched a few of his scrambles when he was at aggy, he’s got wheels.

On 4/13/2018 at 10:15 AM, 6th Street said:

At least Murray knows how to throw a football.

Shane has a noodle arm and Sam has poor accuracy and makes terrible decisions. 

Wernt we high on Shane’s deep ball a couple years ago??   Shane with time can throw a good deep ball as he showed a couple years ago, Sam not so much 

On 4/20/2018 at 11:23 PM, Jkwellborn said:

He’s probably a little bitch, but I watched a few of his scrambles when he was at aggy, he’s got wheels.

I saw the same thing. He slides before the tacklers get to him, sacrificing a few rushing yards instead of his skeleton and soft tissue.

8 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Rangers will probably draft him. They love multi sport guys and especially love drafting athletic guys with questionable bats way too early

This is the damn truth.  Every outfielder they have drafted early over the last ten years fits this description.

I don't see Kyler being drafted that early or leaving early.  Hope we crush him in the Cotton Bowl this year.

11 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

I saw the same thing. He slides before the tacklers get to him, sacrificing a few rushing yards instead of his skeleton and soft tissue.

Yep - he seems very adept at getting down on the turf before the pain train arrives. But all it takes is one time for him to try to reverse direction, and he's going to collide with a Hager, Roach, Johnson, Shark who is steaming ahead at full speed.