Kyler Murray - The Savior or Satan of OU Football

closetojumping

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Kyler is going to get paid, fellas. He went 3-4 with two doubles and two rbis last night. He's got 5 tools and the scouts like him. 

One of those tools being that he, himself, is a total tool, right?

Edited by Katfid54

• 2 weeks later...

Update here: Ohio State has a QB battle going on and it is looking like Joe Burrow won't win it. Also, the fucking Baldwin goober from Lake Travis won't be winning the QB battle either, but he really was never in it. Anyway, Burrow is likely headed to OU. 

So OU is pushing heavily for a transfer QB of mediocre bona fides even though they have their own QB "battle" brewing. Why? Because they've got a ton of concern that the Murray Midget is heading to the early part of the draft. They also apparently aren't very high on Austin Kendall. 

This could get pretty funny. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Update here: Ohio State has a QB battle going on and it is looking like Joe Burrow won't win it. Also, the fucking Baldwin goober from Lake Travis won't be winning the QB battle either, but he really was never in it. Anyway, Burrow is likely headed to OU. 

So OU is pushing heavily for a transfer QB of mediocre bona fides even though they have their own QB "battle" brewing. Why? Because they've got a ton of concern that the Murray Midget is heading to the early part of the draft. They also apparently aren't very high on Austin Kendall. 

He's sucking shit through a straw right now in baseball.  Highly doubt he goes MLB unless two things happen: he gets back on track in bases and he looks like shit as fall football practice kicks in.  I don't think he's another Baker Mayfield but I also don't think he will suck.  OU's system has made plenty of mediocre QB's look competent. 

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

He's sucking shit through a straw right now in baseball.  Highly doubt he goes MLB unless two things happen: he gets back on track in bases and he looks like shit as fall football practice kicks in.  I don't think he's another Baker Mayfield but I also don't think he will suck.  OU's system has made plenty of mediocre QB's look competent. 

I don't know how closely you follow baseball talent acquisition, if any, but a small streak in favor or against a player is irrelevant to the teams drafting at this stage. He was coveted out of high school (pedigree matters with baseball front offices and the reasons for it would deserve their own thread), he played well in the Cape Cod league last summer, and until the past two weeks was having a fabulous season as a potential 5 tool player for a major college program. They're going to draft off of all of that, plus the facts that he's putting out word that he'd sign and not play in the fall as well the belief that he's still really raw and has a lot of room to develop. 

Think what you want though, we can check back after the draft. Did you ever think maybe I'm in better tune with the player side of things than you are on the OU side of things for this one? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Where did you see Burrow's going to OU?  I've seen Cincy, Florida, LSU, and Nebraska most notably but not anything credible about OU.  I think I heard McElroy say if he was Burrow he'd check out the Sooners if Murray decided to forgo the rest of his eligibility and go pro in baseball but there was no reporting involved.... Have they asked to speak with him?  I know Cincy and LSU already did and he has visits set up.

FWIW (not much), one of the lawyers at my firm went to OU, and he's still very well connected there. I asked him about this a couple weeks back and he said there was definitely some concern on the OU side. Checked back in with him today and he said the concern is growing. Definitely seems like it has a good chance of happening.  

Hopefully the tOSU QB decides before Kyler makes any public decision, so OU misses out on him.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I don't know how closely you follow baseball talent acquisition, if any, but a small streak in favor or against a player is irrelevant to the teams drafting at this stage. He was coveted out of high school (pedigree matters with baseball front offices and the reasons for it would deserve their own thread), he played well in the Cape Cod league last summer, and until the past two weeks was having a fabulous season as a potential 5 tool player for a major college program. They're going to draft off of all of that, plus the facts that he's putting out word that he'd sign and not play in the fall as well the belief that he's still really raw and has a lot of room to develop. 

Think what you want though, we can check back after the draft. Did you ever think maybe I'm in better tune with the player side of things than you are on the OU side of things for this one? 

Well after that post I think you’ve clearly put more thought into the whole thing, at least when compared to me.  I threw in my 2 cents.  Had no idea I was dealing with an expert.  My bad.  

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So are you a scout, or what?

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

This is a 7 May article on Murray from 247's interview with Teddy Cahill,  respected writer for Baseball America.    Excerpts:

https://247sports.com/Article/How-is-Kyler-Murray-viewed-as-a-2018-MLB-draft-prospect-Its-complicated-118035714

Murray’s been noncommittal on that this offseason – 247Sports’ request to interview Murray for this story was politely declined by Oklahoma – but it’s something that must be examined. To that end, 247Sports consulted with Baseball America National Writer Teddy Cahill for perspective on Murray’s MLB draft status and the factors that will influence his decision.

“It’s a very complex equation,” Cahill said. “Not only do you have to figure out the player, in this case you have to figure out what football means to him."

Not only did scouts need to parse his football future, but an injury Murray’s senior year in football forced him into full-time DH duty. That left teams with a double mystery. Not only did they not know how easy he’d be to sign. They also wondered just what he’d play.

“I remember trying to put together early lists that were going to include Kyler Murray, and when he pulled out I was quite happy that I no longer had to try and rank him,” Cahill said. “He was definitely going to be in the Top 200 overall. Day 1 picks go through about 75. We had him around 100, which makes him somewhere around round 3-5. If someone had really believed in everything, I could’ve seen someone taking him in the second round.”

Three years later, Cahill’s estimate hasn’t changed much.

“Just on everything right now, we have him close to what he was out of high school,” Cahill said. “All of that is a long and complicated way of saying: ‘I don’t really know.’ And that’s because Kyler doesn’t seem to know yet. If he does, he hasn’t communicated it yet.”

The critical factor in all of this, though, is that if a player is picked in the Top 10 rounds and doesn’t sign, the bonus money associated with that spot is subtracted from the team’s overall pool.

That means the ability to sign a player is crucial. It’s also where things again get — yep — complicated for Murray.

“If someone took him in the fourth round and didn’t sign him that has larger impacts on their draft than just not signing Kyler Murray,” Cahill said. “At that point teams must evaluate [his signability] versus his talent.”

It’s hard to peg Murray’s future, which creates an unbelievable amount of leverage for Murray heading into June. Not only can Murray opt to play football next season, but he can also return to Oklahoma for two more seasons of baseball. If Murray wants to play football, he can play football. If Murray wants to play both, he can play both. If Murray wants to put off his pro future for another year or even two as a redshirt sophomore, he can.

Edited by torre

On 4/25/2018 at 5:45 PM, closetojumping said:

Kyler is going to get paid, fellas. He went 3-4 with two doubles and two rbis last night. He's got 5 tools and the scouts like him. 

Serious question, does he have all 5 tools?  Cuz I can only think of one player in MLB shorter than 6' who can hit for power.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, shakahorn said:

Serious question, does he have all 5 tools?  Cuz I can only think of one player in MLB shorter than 6' who can hit for power.

Given that I can name three players on the Astros below 6’ who can hit for power, I don’t think you’ve put THAT much thought into it, have you? 

As to whether Murray has it? If they release anything to the services, you’ll see a power number of either 50 or 55 and a raw power number 5 points higher. He’s compact and quick twitch, so his ability to hit 15-25hr per year as a ceiling is believable. 

11 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Given that I can name three players on the Astros below 6’ who can hit for power, I don’t think you’ve put THAT much thought into it, have you? 

As to whether Murray has it? If they release anything to the services, you’ll see a power number of either 50 or 55 and a raw power number 5 points higher. He’s compact and quick twitch, so his ability to hit 15-25hr per year as a ceiling is believable. 

The Astros, at least according to this roster: http://m.astros.mlb.com/roster/ and this roster:  http://www.espn.com/mlb/team/roster/_/name/hou/houston-astros have only one player less than 6' tall.  Well, 2 if you count what looks to me to be the 3rd string catcher.  I'm neither an Astros fan, nor do I live in Houston, but I do have some familiarity with their roster, since...you know...they  won the world series last year.  And other than Altuve, who I was obviously alluding to in my post, none of those guys are as short nor as skinny as Murray, at least on TV. 

Honestly, I don't pay attention to the services or power numbers or anything like that, but when I think "hit for power," 15 home runs doesn't really make the cut.

2 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

If you can play MLB level baseball, and make that kind of money, why the fuck would you want to subject yourself to the violence of D-1 football? If Murray is smart, he goes Pro in baseball.

Because you like to play football.  It's glib but it's what it comes down to.

Edited by WBT

6 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

If you can play MLB level baseball, and make that kind of money, why the fuck would you want to subject yourself to the violence of D-1 football? If Murray is smart, he goes Pro in baseball.

Should have done it out of HS but he likes to play football and wants to give it a chance.  NFL ain't gonna be calling..... I agree baseball is his future.

58 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

The Astros, at least according to this roster: http://m.astros.mlb.com/roster/ and this roster:  http://www.espn.com/mlb/team/roster/_/name/hou/houston-astros have only one player less than 6' tall.  Well, 2 if you count what looks to me to be the 3rd string catcher.  I'm neither an Astros fan, nor do I live in Houston, but I do have some familiarity with their roster, since...you know...they  won the world series last year.  And other than Altuve, who I was obviously alluding to in my post, none of those guys are as short nor as skinny as Murray, at least on TV. 

Honestly, I don't pay attention to the services or power numbers or anything like that, but when I think "hit for power," 15 home runs doesn't really make the cut.

I’m a rangers fan so I don’t even really follow baseball anymore but I do know that mookie betts is about murray’s size and he is mashing the fuck out of the ball.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I don’t follow ohio state spring ball (or their roster) but if this burrow guy isn’t gonna be the starter, and neither is baldwin, are you saying tater tot is gonna be starting in the fall?

3 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Hey man, I don’t care what any official site is saying, or any random site, Alex Bregman isn’t coming even vaguely close to 6’. Sorry. Max Stassi is also under 6’ and he’s got major league power. That’s 3 guys on one team. This isn’t worth my fucking time. There are plenty of MLB guys with pop under 6’. 15 HRs in the majors is decent pop and if the other tools are there,  it’s part of a 5 tool package. This is a really bizarre path you’ve gone down if you “don’t pay attention”. Maybe, like, pay attention. 

44 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Hey man, I don’t care what any official site is saying, or any random site, Alex Bregman isn’t coming even vaguely close to 6’. Sorry. Max Stassi is also under 6’ and he’s got major league power. That’s 3 guys on one team. This isn’t worth my fucking time. There are plenty of MLB guys with pop under 6’. 15 HRs in the majors is decent pop and if the other tools are there,  it’s part of a 5 tool package. This is a really bizarre path you’ve gone down if you “don’t pay attention”. Maybe, like, pay attention. 

I don't pay attention to services or power numbers .  I pay attention to what I see and I watch quite a bit of baseball.  Maybe as much as you watch high school football.  I've seen Bregman and I've never thought...hey that guy is short.  An official site and a fairly reputable site, at least as far as stats go, say he is 6'0.  But surely you know better because...you say so.  And I pointed out Stassi, the 3rd string catcher.  Funny it's not worth your time but you bothered to respond.  Pardon me for daring to question a self-appointed internet hero.

5 hours ago, shakahorn said:

I don't pay attention to services or power numbers .  I pay attention to what I see and I watch quite a bit of baseball.  Maybe as much as you watch high school football.  I've seen Bregman and I've never thought...hey that guy is short.  An official site and a fairly reputable site, at least as far as stats go, say he is 6'0.  But surely you know better because...you say so.  And I pointed out Stassi, the 3rd string catcher.  Funny it's not worth your time but you bothered to respond.  Pardon me for daring to question a self-appointed internet hero.

Bregman is most definetly short. He was listed at 6’0 at LSU but that must have been with cleats on because he’s just a little guy.

Stassi may be a 3rd string but he gets plenty of play and does well. He wouldn’t be a 3rd string on every teams roster.

6 hours ago, shakahorn said:

Congrats on rolling with the eyeball test, bro. You should dress for Halloween as a baseball scout from the 1980’s and just keep talking. You don’t watch or pay attention to baseball any more than I do, and your posts on this thread indicate as much. Solid work.

6 hours ago, shakahorn said:

• Like 1

Well, it is decision time for Murray, and he and his family have known this day is coming for several years.  They've put it off as long as they can.  He can do both for only so long.  The draft next month is going to push him closer to his decision.  Wisdom says he plays baseball, but crazy things happen.  

3 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

"If he's smart, he'll play baseball (can play much longer, guaranteed money, no long term CTE issues).  We'll see if he's smart. "

Your forgetting about big red sports.

And that's fair.  Short term. Long term baseball is a no brainer (pun intended).

He was discussed as a possible 1st round pick out of HS. He should have never gone to college for football. If he gets another crack at being a high draft pick this year, he should absolutely drop football. 

And I agree with CTJ here - his physical tools are there. He has a legit shot at playing major league baseball, I'd surmise much better odds than playing in the NFL. 

4 hours ago, Player said:

And you are definitely a tool.

Too bad you don’t have an ounce of talent.

Your mother would disagree.

Also, baseball is the far superior choice only if you're a high draft choice, or you actually make the show one day. Being a minor league ballplayer that was drafted outside the top 10 rounds is the shittiest deal in all of pro sports.