Canned food for the Apocalypse

ChickenSandwich

We have Surly-ites stockpiling food and supplies for the coming doom from China.

So, what are you actually buying with that years supply?  Are you a 12 pack of wolf chili or chunky soup?  Sardines? Beans? Ravioli or just straight Vegetables?

Rarely do I partake in the canned food game and would have no idea where to start. So Surly.....

What is in your H-E-B apocalyptic shopping cart?

*Corona Beer already assumed to be in cart

Edited by ChickenSandwich

the whole point of canned food imo is that it lasts forever.  turns out that shit has expiration dates like everything else.  that ticks me off.

the canned food i keep on hand, regardless of zombies or coronaviruses, is:  chili, tuna, 2-3 cans of soups, pinto beans, refried beans, black beans, 2-3 cans of diced tomatoes.

the whole point of canned food imo is that it lasts forever.  turns out that shit has expiration dates like everything else.  that ticks me off.
the canned food i keep on hand, regardless of zombies or coronaviruses, is:  chili, tuna, 2-3 cans of soups, pinto beans, refried beans, black beans, 2-3 cans of diced tomatoes.

Could order 100 McDonald’s hamburger patties and be good to a year or longer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

As long as the can is intact, in theory, if you simmer it for 10 minutes, it's edible nourishment.  It might taste terrible, but it won't have bacterial spoilage.

7 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

As long as the can is intact, in theory, if you simmer it for 10 minutes, it's edible nourishment.  It might taste terrible, but it won't have bacterial spoilage.

I've seen a can of Wolf Brand chili disagree. Not sure how far out of date it was but the sob exploded in the pantry. I guess technically the can was no longer intact.

12 hours ago, RPM said:

I've seen a can of Wolf Brand chili disagree. Not sure how far out of date it was but the sob exploded in the pantry. I guess technically the can was no longer intact.

Either that or it was dropped and the  epoxy lining chaffed or broke down causing it to react with the raw metal of the can, creating an off gas situation.  But an intact, Undamaged can is heremetically sealed under vacuum and should not spoil.

1 minute ago, Bateshorn said:

Either that or it was dropped and the  epoxy lining chaffed or broke down causing it to react with the raw metal of the can, creating an off gas situation.  But an intact, Undamaged can is heremetically sealed under vacuum and should not spoil.

I can't CSI Chili the scene, but it was ugly. No pics, it was 40 years ago. Dexter would have had a field day. No beans were involved.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

The food bank will normally accept and disburse food cans that are a year expired, maybe more.

• Like 1

Former coworker of mine stockpiled a bunch of canned stuff, much of which had no labels, during her Y2K panic.  It was hilarious to watch her bring mystery cans in to eat for lunch years later as she worked through the unneeded stockpile. 

Wolf Chili, Spam, Vienna Sausages , kippered herring and sardines are in abundance in our pantry. We also have lots of flour for biscuits and bread making. I can't think of anything better than fried Spam ( 2 crispy slices per layer) with 3  Kraft Amercan cheese slices separating the meat and homemade biscuit. I use Kraft Sandwich spread for lube but I know that isn't popular around here. I have this meal at least once a week and I'm still ticking at 70.

18 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Secret info -- you always have more fresh water on hand than you think:

how-to-fix-common-toilet-problems-step-2

Also your water heater and swimming pools.

I routinely eat canned stuff and boxed, dried foods (such as dehydrated scalloped potatoes) several years after their expiration date and typically notice no difference in food taste.  Maybe not 10 years, but 3 years for sure.  

Edited by Lhorn

3 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Also your water heater.

I routinely eat canned stuff and boxed, dried foods (such as dehydrated scalloped potatoes) several years after their expiration date and typically notice no difference in food taste.  Maybe not 10 years, but 3 years for sure.  

You sound like my parents (RIP).  Both depression babies.  They would eat shit years past the expiration date. I, on the other hand, will toss shit the day it expires.

3 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Wolf Chili, Spam, Vienna Sausages , kippered herring and sardines are in abundance in our pantry. We also have lots of flour for biscuits and bread making. I can't think of anything better than fried Spam ( 2 crispy slices per layer) with 3  Kraft Amercan cheese slices separating the meat and homemade biscuit. I use Kraft Sandwich spread for lube but I know that isn't popular around here. I have this meal at least once a week and I'm still ticking at 70.

I feel sorry for the folks sharing the bunker with this guy.