Canned food for the Apocalypse

ChickenSandwich

8 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

You sound like my parents (RIP).  Both depression babies.  They would eat shit years past the expiration date. I, on the other hand, will toss shit the day it expires.

My mom will keep milk well past the expiration date and cook with it, which works perfectly well.  But as a result of growing up in such a household, I will use milk past expiration (coffee, cereal) as long as it passes the smell test.

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

My mom will keep milk well past the expiration date and cook with it, which works perfectly well.  But as a result of growing up in such a household, I will use milk past expiration (coffee, cereal) as long as it passes the smell test.

Milk is about the only expired thing I won't test.

24 minutes ago, woohorn said:

I bought two cases of identical Progresso soup and two cases of green beans.

Starting to think I should add some variety...

I went the @Brisketexan method of purchasing Spam. We have enough Spam, beans, and rice to last 2 months. I need to find some canned jalapenos to add to it. 

UHT milk is shelf stable at room temp if it's packaged properly (tetrapak).  a lot of organic milk in grocery stores is UHT which is the main reason the sell by date is much further out than normal cow juice (and also why it lasts well past the sell by date - i won't even tempt regular milk past that date but the UHT organic seems to be good for at least a week after). 

• Like 1

Just now, F250 said:

If you are stocking up on dry goods such as rice, beans, noodles, flour, etc don't forget ingredients that give the food flavor. Tomato sauce, tomato paste, rotel, chicken broth, etc...

Dude, I'm half messican.  We ALWAYS have a giant jar or two of this on hand:

KNORR-CALDO-DE-POLLO-2-Jars-of.jpg

And actually, one of the canned goods I grabbed was a few extra cans of stewed tomatoes.  You can dress up a lotta stuff with some canned tomatoes.  

And as for milk, I know many US stores carry this (all the stores in Europe seem to):

34ec4ea7b1a7cceb452cec8518e1ea5a_large.p

The shelf-stable milk isn't bad.  It isn't great, but it isn't bad.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Dude, I'm half messican.  We ALWAYS have a giant jar or two of this on hand:

KNORR-CALDO-DE-POLLO-2-Jars-of.jpg

And actually, one of the canned goods I grabbed was a few extra cans of stewed tomatoes.  You can dress up a lotta stuff with some canned tomatoes.  

And as for milk, I know many US stores carry this (all the stores in Europe seem to):

34ec4ea7b1a7cceb452cec8518e1ea5a_large.p

The shelf-stable milk isn't bad.  It isn't great, but it isn't bad.

I keep boxes of these hand to pull my kids out of their bubble and keep them in touch with their heritage.

spacer.png

22 minutes ago, F250 said:

I keep boxes of these hand to pull my kids out of their bubble and keep them in touch with their heritage.

spacer.png

FUCK.  YES.

You make soup, or you make it dry?  Fry the fideo and onions, add a coupla cups of knorr, cook down till the liquid is gone.  Top with a little queso blanco if you want.  My son will eat the whole pan of it.

38 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

FUCK.  YES.

You make soup, or you make it dry?  Fry the fideo and onions, add a coupla cups of knorr, cook down till the liquid is gone.  Top with a little queso blanco if you want.  My son will eat the whole pan of it.

Both but my preference is dry. That is pretty much how I make it but like to add some serrano peppers if it's just me and my teenagers eating.

3 hours ago, F250 said:

If you are stocking up on dry goods such as rice, beans, noodles, flour, etc don't forget ingredients that give the food flavor. Tomato sauce, tomato paste, rotel, chicken broth, etc...

Make sure your spice rack is fully stocked, too.

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

FUCK.  YES.

Whhhhyyyyy do only carb-loaded foods sound good?

I bought some extra of the stuff we usually have on hand anyway. I frequently bake bread/rolls, etc so we always have flour, yeast, powdered milk (for one of my bread recipes) and oatmeal on hand. We also like most of you keep rice and pasta/noodles and canned tomato sauce and tomato paste, and other common staples too.

So this trip I grabbed some more cans of red beans (red beans & rice), clams (for red sauce and chowder), tuna, beans (some canned some dried), several cans of corned beef hash, and a few cans of fruit. A couple of cans of soup and we're good to go.

19 hours ago, Bevo&Pevo said:

I been stock piling ammo.  I'll just take what the fawk I want when I get hungry.   Make sure you keep a can opener handy.

Was walking through the corner mart today. Pickign up some coke zero for the coming whiskey and coke apocalypse. noted that they had a full case of frozen pizza. figure if push comes to shove me and my neighbor could take this down without much resistance. 

On 2/27/2020 at 6:13 AM, Bateshorn said:

Either that or it was dropped and the  epoxy lining chaffed or broke down causing it to react with the raw metal of the can, creating an off gas situation.  But an intact, Undamaged can is heremetically sealed under vacuum and should not spoil.

The can of Chef Boyardee Ravioli with the 2012 expiration date that I ate last summer confirms this thesis.  The color seemed a bit "brighter" but there was no foul smell (other than the normal one) and no stomach issues after consumption.  Of course I am blessed with a cast-iron stomach so the results may vary for mere mortals in this here thread of gastrointestinal roulette.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The can of Chef Boyardee Ravioli with the 2012 expiration date that I ate last summer confirms this thesis.  The color seemed a bit "brighter" but there was no foul smell (other than the normal one) and no stomach issues after consumption.  Of course I am blessed with a cast-iron stomach so the results may vary for mere mortals in this here thread of gastrointestinal roulette.

The flavor and chemical composition of the ingredients may change over time and with storage, eventually becoming inedible/digestible, but a properly stored, intact can good will not bacterial spoil.