Need a Cheap, Cash Car

I'm looking for a commuter car or small SUV, just to get back and forth to work. Budget is 2k or less. Before I browse CL, do any of you have anything you're looking to get rid of? Must have HDMI ports.

Edit: this is post 300 and OU still SUX.

Edited by DallasHorn26
OU Sux

9 hours ago, horn4life said:

You are looking for the needle in the haystack my friend. Refresh craigslist about 20 times a day. If something that fits your bill appears it will be gone in like 20 minutes. Get the cash, keep it on you and be ready to jump if you see something you might like.

I've heard the same, pretty much see a truck for sale, better buy it right on the spot. Buddy said to me, days of finding a cheap run around are over. 

32 minutes ago, Dewey said:

I've heard the same, pretty much see a truck for sale, better buy it right on the spot. Buddy said to me, days of finding a cheap run around are over. 

Check Autotrader.com     ( Can't get link to post correctly on phone.)   Use Advanced Search

Edited by torre

8 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I'm  Pretty cheap, but I'm not even sure I'd trust a car that costs <$2k.

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?prMx=2000&rd=200&searchSource=QUICK_FORM&zc=78704

See if that works.  Pickings are slim.

I want (don't need) about 5 of the cars on that first page.  That E150, that 1980 Tbird, that 79 Deville.  I'm sure there are unique odors that come with each of them, and that Caddy has a murdered person in the trunk.  But take my money!

Also look for a car that costs $2500 that you will pay $2000 for.  I have also had luck looking for misspellings of vehicles I would consider.  Or also at nearby areas that have less pressure than the Austin market.  Got a great deal on a Mazda 6 out by lake Buchanan a couple years ago.

I also consider the end of the month a better time to buy ANYTHING on craigslist.  Today is probably a double witching day with folks either wanting to go part on the weekend OR to get money for rent due on the 1st.  

WARNING - see if you can do a compression test before you buy.  It's easy to do yourself with a youtube video and borrowing the tool from O'Rielly's but it helps you avoid the disaster of a blown head gasket or other catastrophic compression issue.

Check independent mechanics.  They often end up fixing cars for people that can't afford to pay.  As long as they have acquired title, you should be ok.  Also, vehicles with salvage titles go cheap - you want one with a salvage title due to hail or something cosmetic as opposed to major collision.

I have a 2000 Acura TL with 270k miles on it or something. I put most of the miles on it myself. 

Has a clogged EGR Valve or something that keeps it from starting when it's hot right away and if you are driving it in 100+ degree wearher in the AC but stopped a lot it'll get hot on the temperature gauge, but other than that it's a great car.

I'd sell it for 2500, but you have to let me owner finance it at 26% APR. No approval process. 

10 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Check independent mechanics.  They often end up fixing cars for people that can't afford to pay.  As long as they have acquired title, you should be ok.  Also, vehicles with salvage titles go cheap - you want one with a salvage title due to hail or something cosmetic as opposed to major collision.

Came here to post this.  My In-Laws own a large automotive repair/transmission operation and they always seem to have cars for sale - usually 15 year old Altimas.  People say keep it and they end up getting a mechanic's Lein.  he might have something available if you don't mind coming to Beaumont.

A few months back he acquired a sweet sweet Allegro motor home that is eventually going to end up on step bro in laws deer lease.

Edited by BearSchlong

On 2/27/2020 at 9:48 AM, horn4life said:

You are looking for the needle in the haystack my friend. Refresh craigslist about 20 times a day. If something that fits your bill appears it will be gone in like 20 minutes. Get the cash, keep it on you and be ready to jump if you see something you might like.

On 2/27/2020 at 7:16 PM, Dewey said:

Why is this? 

3 minutes ago, BBQ2Bayou said:

Why is this? 

It's like a $200K 3 bed 2 bath house in Austin. IF one becomes available there are a shit ton of folks that want to buy it.  Supply and Demand.  A GOOD car around $2K will be snatched up by somebody.  So you need to move quickly if you see something you like. 

Here is the best way to search Craigslist IMHO. First refresh several times a day to have a chance at finding something good.  Secondly I rarely even consider any car that is not parked in a driveway.  About 90% of the cars shown as "by owner" are actually small time dealers selling you a car they bought at Auction and know nothing about.  I would always rather buy from an individual, that I deem trustworthy.  The exact opposite of the small time dealer.  Finally I like to search geographically.  I tend to look in more affluent areas, where selling a car for $2,000 might be just to get rid of it quick and not deal with too many people.  Also more affluent areas IMHO are much more likely to have performed preventive maintenance than less affluent.

Good LUCK!

https://dallas.craigslist.org/search/cto?min_price=1&max_price=2000&min_auto_year=2005

the hyundai, nissan, or ford in the first 3 are what you are looking for

if you are into Mexican chicks (or dudes) then sacrifice gas mileage for the panocha (or pelon) and buy one of the Crown Vics (with Vic in the name you can't go wrong with the Mamacitas or Hombres)

• 2 weeks later...