The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

I assumed when I was discussing the heat soaked turbos, that one would assume I was talking about the Nissan. Sorry not to specify the manufacturer.
CHIEF
It's a joke. Corvettes, especially Z06s are known to overheat on the track. So i referred to the GT-R as the GT-R Z06. But now that i have to explain it to you, it's a lot less clever.
  • Like 2

On 11/5/2019 at 9:18 AM, pepper brooks said:

don't do it!  seems everyone who drove that thing at track day resigned it to POS status.  I didn't drive it, but I did pass it a few times in the other cars 😉

I assumed Chitown was was referencing AMG, not Nissan given the S63 discussion.  I suspect AMG GT-R would hold its own in your track day lineup.

• Like 2

On 11/5/2019 at 11:13 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 11/5/2019 at 11:06 PM, CHIEF said:
I assumed when I was discussing the heat soaked turbos, that one would assume I was talking about the Nissan. Sorry not to specify the manufacturer.
CHIEF

It's a joke. Corvettes, especially Z06s are known to overheat on the track. So i referred to the GT-R as the GT-R Z06. But now that i have to explain it to you, it's a lot less clever.

On 11/5/2019 at 10:18 AM, pepper brooks said:

don't do it!  seems everyone who drove that thing at track day resigned it to POS status.  I didn't drive it, but I did pass it a few times in the other cars 😉

On 11/5/2019 at 2:42 PM, CHIEF said:

CHIEF Jr. drove a GTR at the track, here in Cresson. I love them, but he said it was a dog on the track, the turbos are real susceptible to heat soak, he was about the third person to run hot laps in it that afternoon.

CHIEF

AMG GT-R gents.  Wife wouldn’t be in the Nissan.  

And didn’t the Merc take down the 911 GT3 at Nurburgring?

20 minutes ago, Clackles said:

I assumed Chitown was was referencing AMG, not Nissan given the S63 discussion.  I suspect AMG GT-R would hold its own in your track day lineup.

Funny timing.  Didn’t see this.  But yes...

And I kind of rolled my eyes at the 911 destroying it at the track but know better than to argue w 911 aficionados.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Wife wouldn’t be in the Nissan.  

Not going to lie, also piqued my curiosity.  Seemed like a step off into left field from your others. 

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

One day I will order a GT3 in that paint scheme for track use.

I told my wife yesterday. Someday, I am going to buy an F430. I know there’s faster, more exclusive, yada yada, but that has been my dream car for as long as I can remember. And if a loaded pickup costs 75k now, why the hell is 100k unattainable?  Nothing but a mental block.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Can't believe you guys thought ChiTown would be caught dead in a Nissan.

Ha, times change.  When I met her she had an RX7 and our dream ride was the GTR (Nissan variety).  We didn’t even dream of Ferrari’s or Lambo’s. 

edit: She wants the magno hell green.  Ha

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Funny timing.  Didn’t see this.  But yes...

And I kind of rolled my eyes at the 911 destroying it at the track but know better than to argue w 911 aficionados.  

ah...makes sense.  I thought you meant the Nissan GTR which my shitty driver self actually did "destroy" on a track 6 days ago.  THe Merc GTR...that's a whole different deal.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Can't believe you guys thought ChiTown would be caught dead in a Nissan.

My thoughts exactly, but you know, it is for his wife, and that shit is undefeated so you just never know....I know  HE wouldn't drive a f*cking Nissan.  

Edited by pepper brooks

Lol.  The undefeated thing holds true.  Thankfully I chose wisely.  

Gonna try to take one out for the day Saturday.  Will report back.  

And owning a 911 for those 10 months changed me forever.  From track beast to daily driver with the same set up.  Didn’t think that was possible.  My best day in a car was racing it and lapping literally everyone - then later that day driving it home, 50 miles in chicago traffic, while at least 3-4 others were trailered home.  That was a good feeling.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Lol.  The undefeated thing holds true.  Thankfully I chose wisely.  

Gonna try to take one out for the day Saturday.  Will report back.  

And owning a 911 for those 10 months changed me forever.  From track beast to daily driver with the same set up.  Didn’t think that was possible.  My best day in a car was racing it and lapping literally everyone - then later that day driving it home, 50 miles in chicago traffic, while at least 3-4 others were trailered home.  That was a good feeling.  

so very very true on the 911.  I know it's not for everyone, and it has it's faults, but if you want a car that you can literally try and tear up on a track, give it the spurs at every stop light, throw around the track, and then drive home with a child in the back, and overall extremely low cost of ownership, well..they do that better than anyone.  My track laps in that GT3 gave me the 911 bug so badly I have driven my old 997S every day since.  I usually drive it once or twice a week, but that track day just made me love it all over again.  

and you'd be crazy to get that Merc in any color other than Green or the Blue.  That car demands a vibrant color.  

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Not going to lie, also piqued my curiosity.  Seemed like a step off into left field from your others. 

I told my wife yesterday. Someday, I am going to buy an F430. I know there’s faster, more exclusive, yada yada, but that has been my dream car for as long as I can remember. And if a loaded pickup costs 75k now, why the hell is 100k unattainable?  Nothing but a mental block.  

my brother in law has a 2006 F430 that he bought new back in the day.  Gosh I love that car.  The sound that V8 makes is just pure awesome.  He never drives the thing, and has had it in offsite storage for probably 10 years now.  I bet it has < 3,000 miles on it.  Shame.  I'd drive that thing daily.  you only live once.  

Ha, times change.  When I met her she had an RX7 and our dream ride was the GTR (Nissan variety).  We didn’t even dream of Ferrari’s or Lambo’s. 

edit: She wants the magno hell green.  Ha

This ain’t nam. We have rules. Even for super car owners.
  • Haha 1

my brother in law has a 2006 F430 that he bought new back in the day.  Gosh I love that car.  The sound that V8 makes is just pure awesome.  He never drives the thing, and has had it in offsite storage for probably 10 years now.  I bet it has < 3,000 miles on it.  Shame.  I'd drive that thing daily.  you only live once.  

I'll never understand why people buy cars like that and don't drive them.  I don't want to own any car I can't just go drive whenever I want to.

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I'll never understand why people buy cars like that and don't drive them.  I don't want to own any car I can't just go drive whenever I want to.

me either.  It's unlikely I would ever do that.  Hell, even if I had that 904 Carrera GTS above, I would drive that thing.  Granted, that may be easy to say because none of my cars are "collectable" in any way whatsoever, but even guys like me with easily attainable cars like the 911 you have people who let them sit in the garage like it's not going to depreciate.  Crazy to me.  Cars that would, in theory, hold steady and maybe appreciate slightly like the F430 isn't enough potential return to me to not drive that frequently.  It would have to be some extremely rare thing like the 904, or 288GTO Ferrari for me to let it be a garage queen, and frankly even the F 288 GTO, for me, anyway, I wouldn't drive as much for fear some dipshit would hit me more so than worrying about my potential "resale".  It's a car.  drive it. 

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That green also goes well with the color of carbon fiber, if you want to throw a hood and deck lid on it for fuel economy purposes 

nobody buying that would add the CF for gas mileage.  They'd do it to save weight around the track.  Hard to believe the ceramic brakes are not standard on a 200k car.  

1 minute ago, pepper brooks said:

me either.  It's unlikely I would ever do that.  Hell, even if I had that 904 Carrera GTS above, I would drive that thing.  Granted, that may be easy to say because none of my cars are "collectable" in any way whatsoever, but even guys like me with easily attainable cars like the 911 you have people who let them sit in the garage like it's not going to depreciate.  Crazy to me.  Cars that would, in theory, hold steady and maybe appreciate slightly like the F430 isn't enough potential return to me to not drive that frequently.  It would have to be some extremely rare thing like the 904, or 288GTO Ferrari for me to let it be a garage queen, and frankly even the F 288 GTO, for me, anyway, I wouldn't drive as much for fear some dipshit would hit me more so than worrying about my potential "resale".  It's a car.  drive it. 

Shit, even if I had something like an F40 or Porsche 918 Spyder in the garage, I would have to drive it.  Cars are meant to be driven, not just looked at.

21 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

nobody buying that would add the CF for gas mileage.  They'd do it to save weight around the track.  Hard to believe the ceramic brakes are not standard on a 200k car.  

99% sure that was sarcasm.  Haha

edit:  need to read thread then post

/idoit 

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 1

He never drives the thing, and has had it in offsite storage for probably 10 years now.  I bet it has < 3,000 miles on it.  Shame.

Well, he’ll have a prime example when he decides to start driving it, or sell it.   But I agree, I’d drive at least 1 or 2x a week to work or weekend or whatever. Just like a boat, will probably have more issues letting it sit than letting it eat.  Oh well, dreams are dreams and we’ll see if I ever get there, but at least the wife is on notice.  

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Because a 75k pickup truck won't need a $3000 clutch swap every 15,000 miles

or a $7500 timing belt every 5,000 miles.  

More of a 360 thing, no?

3 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Because a 75k pickup truck won't need a $3000 clutch swap every 15,000 miles

So at 50 miles a week, it gets a clutch every 6 years. I’d call that a non worry.  Average in some decent road trips and whatnot and say it’s every 3 years.  $100/month in the clutch fund is not the issue.  Hell, i wouldn’t expect to put 15-20k on it during entire ownership. I would guess you’d spend much more on tires. Hell I’m going to spend that on drinks this week.  

I’m not looking for something to daily drive, I have one of those aforementioned trucks for that.   I’m looking for something to tinker with in the garage, and take thru the town on Saturday AM.  Anecdotal, but I’ve had 2 friends lose 6.7 Fords, both to the tune of 16-20k. So yeah, it’s a crapshoot.  I mean the outboard on my boat was well over 20k and only averages 40 hrs/year.  My luck I would have one grenade on me, though. I’d have a fucking 350 crate motored 430 lulz.      

Edited by fattyflattie

An acquaintance has an F430. He has driven it to 70,000 miles. He drives it as much as possible and loves it.

I have some equity stakes in private companies and a few look really promising. I’ve thought about splurging on something like this for a year *if they payout* but damn not with the maintenance costs I’m seeing.

4 hours ago, troph said:

I have some equity stakes in private companies and a few look really promising. I’ve thought about splurging on something like this for a year *if they payout* but damn not with the maintenance costs I’m seeing.

I’m like you in that I have to have a boat. Life just wouldn’t be right without one.  But the cost of a new high end bay boat, or ski boat, or very well used 30’ class cc offshore boat is the same as many lightly used supercars.  I’m not a Porsche guy but was looking over some low mileage 997 Turbos today that cost less than a new 24’ Pathfinder. How does that work?  Anyhow, saving my pennies for something cool, hopefully in the next 10 years. Any more and it’ll get labeled as a midlife crisis deal. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m like you in that I have to have a boat. Life just wouldn’t be right without one.  But the cost of a new high end bay boat, or ski boat, or very well used 30’ class cc offshore boat is the same as many lightly used supercars.  I’m not a Porsche guy but was looking over some low mileage 997 Turbos today that cost less than a new 24’ Pathfinder. How does that work?  Anyhow, saving my pennies for something cool, hopefully in the next 10 years. Any more and it’ll get labeled as a midlife crisis deal. 

I’m like you. I’ll always have my boat.  

Edited by troph

Fully loaded G23 is $210k list. Fully loaded Malibu 25 is $220k. Wakeboats have gone insane.

Fully loaded axis is about $100k and kicks out the same wave. Mechanically the same boat, just without the name and some of the finish out and digital controls. I don’t think these performance cars have that shadow brand like the boats do.

20 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Yeah, that is a mystery to me. All the awesome classic cars that are sitting in a garage or warehouse, only to be seen at a car show or fancy auction.

14 hours ago, troph said:

that is why so many go with Porsche.  It is clearly not the same level of "exotic", but by God they work and are for the most part maintenance dreams, or at least the 5 I have owned have been.  

• Like 1