The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m like you in that I have to have a boat. Life just wouldn’t be right without one.  But the cost of a new high end bay boat, or ski boat, or very well used 30’ class cc offshore boat is the same as many lightly used supercars.  I’m not a Porsche guy but was looking over some low mileage 997 Turbos today that cost less than a new 24’ Pathfinder. How does that work?  Anyhow, saving my pennies for something cool, hopefully in the next 10 years. Any more and it’ll get labeled as a midlife crisis deal. 

997 turbo is now 2 model generations removed from new (991 and 992) and the new 992 turbo coming in 2020.  The 997 now feels incredibly dated and is tiny compared to both the 991 and 992.  I say this as a 997 owner.  I still love mine, but I am not surprised values on them are so low.  Porsche builds 10 more cars than the public wants vs Ferrari who builds 500 fewer than demand.  

that is why so many go with Porsche.  It is clearly not the same level of "exotic", but by God they work and are for the most part maintenance dreams, or at least the 5 I have owned have been.  

911 is on my short list but I’m a tall drink of water so there are limits.

18 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

997 turbo is now 2 model generations removed from new (991 and 992) and the new 992 turbo coming in 2020.  The 997 now feels incredibly dated and is tiny compared to both the 991 and 992.  I say this as a 997 owner.  I still love mine, but I am not surprised values on them are so low.  Porsche builds 10 more cars than the public wants vs Ferrari who builds 500 fewer than demand.  

I said I was not a Porsche guy, but I didn’t even know about the 992. I was just browsing yesterday and read up on 991 and 997.  Wouldn’t “tiny” be a good thing, at least with 911’s. I thought everyone loved the classic ones, because they were so tiny?  I’m sure they are outdated, but everything looked modern on the 997 to my eye (that said, look inside a 430 lol). I obviously have not seen or been in a more modern variant.  I thought they were pretty solid deal, especially if they are as reliable as people claim.  If they spoke to me, I would have a lot less trouble making that work, but alas, they do not.  Great cars, tons of respek, just never been my flavor for whatever reason.  

Your last sentence is dead on. I spent about 15 minutes trying to learn all ~15 models of the 997 yesterday.  They have a varied lineup, for sure. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

that is awesome.  certainly meets/exceeds expectations.  

Eh, it's alright. It's essentially identical to the interior of my X5M, from the suede headliner and B pillar vent shape/position, down to the seat design and door panel shaping. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but was hoping for a more classically Aston interior.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

Precisely the reason I despise Porsche, so no.

Yeah I’m the same way. I was speaking to the Porsche purists.  And I wouldn’t think anyone would mix up the 997 with the tiny models before, but I’m not a Porsche guy so who knows. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah I’m the same way. I was speaking to the Porsche purists.  And I wouldn’t think anyone would mix up the 997 with the tiny models before, but I’m not a Porsche guy so who knows. 

you wouldn't confuse the old 912 or even 993 with a 997.  That said if you put a 912 against a 997 the size variance is really noticeable.  That same variance is extremely noticeable if you put a 997 next to the new 992.  I was stunned by how much the car has grown.  

4 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

you wouldn't confuse the old 912 or even 993 with a 997.  That said if you put a 912 against a 997 the size variance is really noticeable.  That same variance is extremely noticeable if you put a 997 next to the new 992.  I was stunned by how much the car has grown

interesting, didn’t realize that. I just peeked at the 992 the other day and didn’t notice the size difference. But, there we’re only 991’s near it.  Was not a huge fan of its steering wheel and “shifter”.  But, thought the rest looked pretty solid.

thay said, loved the 997’s but the difference between it and the 991’s are night and day. Expecting to see the same thing between the 991’s and 992’s.  

great color on the porsches.  whats wilder is the rear tires look almost half as wide... like 185mm vs 345mm or something.

i think im getting punked by tesla.  order placed in september and theyve given me fuck-all in terms of communication.  called today and theyre like "oh, we found your account, let me check up on it and we'll call you if we find anything.  *click*".   im just a glutton for masochism then

2 hours ago, 52-80 said:

great color on the porsches.  whats wilder is the rear tires look almost half as wide... like 185mm vs 345mm or something.

i think im getting punked by tesla.  order placed in september and theyve given me fuck-all in terms of communication.  called today and theyre like "oh, we found your account, let me check up on it and we'll call you if we find anything.  *click*".   im just a glutton for masochism then

Seems like the common denominator in all these car travails is you.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Anyone have experience with Nokian Hakkepellita snow tires? Blizzaks on my car are dead after 16k miles and i never liked them all that much. Thinking of trying something new.

It's been 10 years since I ran them, but when I had them, I absolutely swore by them. I had them on a RWD BMW 3 series, and it made it through everything that upstate New York could throw at it. And by "made it through," I mean handled flawlessly. Best example was coming over a sweeping overpass carrying a bit more speed than was responsible, realizing that it had iced over, and deftly driving around the 3 other cars that had crashed into the guard rail (not on Nokian snows).

• Like 1

Just picked up a new-to-me 2018 Shelby GT350 and have to say the Voodoo 5.2 motor is pretty much the greatest thing ever.  I can’t believe there’s an 8,250 RPM, 526 HP flat plan crank V8 available in something I can drive to work and schlep kids around.  What a time to be alive.  

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

A) that’s awesome. (b) is it invisible or something? C) how the hell do you fit kids in those back seats? D) Tranny? E) what did they whack you for on that?

I haven’t really bothered posting pics since imgur quit doing mobile, but it’s leadfoot gray (not metallic) with white stripes.  The back seats are tiny, but my boys are in a good slot where they’re not too big but out of car seats.  Also, they can tough it out. 

All GT350s are manual 6 speeds which is what I wanted before they’re extinct.  For pricing I traded in a ‘16 SS with 61k and paid another $24k OTD. 

2 hours ago, NYTransplant said:

It's been 10 years since I ran them, but when I had them, I absolutely swore by them. I had them on a RWD BMW 3 series, and it made it through everything that upstate New York could throw at it. And by "made it through," I mean handled flawlessly. Best example was coming over a sweeping overpass carrying a bit more speed than was responsible, realizing that it had iced over, and deftly driving around the 3 other cars that had crashed into the guard rail (not on Nokian snows).

I also had them in upstate New York, and they were effing awesome. Mine were on a RWD Porsche (not a humblebrag, this was a 944 Turbo.) Never tried any other snow tires so I can't compare, but they let me drive through anything with confidence.

1 hour ago, mcbrisket said:

Someone in the car thread on the old board called Shmee a "lispy bitch boy". Hilarious and true. I can't stand him.

Maybe I didn't notice it before, be has definitely gotten bad. I don't follow him or anyone, just checked out a few of his vids from the past and it didn't really strike me outside of typical british faggotry. The Ferrari video is a killer though. Couldn't make it more than a couple minutes in.

Edited by HoustonHorn