The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

4 hours ago, Okie State said:

Just saw a GT3 stretching its legs. Pretty badass.

Mine has sharkwerks exhaust and stretched its legs today and actually felt bad for the people I flew by at the stoplight on the oncoming traffic side,  Had to be a bit startling.  Need to be cautious about about when/where that happens.  no humble brag.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Terrible non-humble brag. 

Hah, was actually serious.  CSB time but having my first kid in less than a week and thought to myself, what if there was a sleeping kid in one of those cars.  That kind of shit never crossed my mind before.  

• Like 1

On 11/15/2019 at 6:13 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

The more you know...

This Shmee guy is annoying af.  And wth are you doing Ferrari?

The Shmee guy is more popular for his personal car collection than he is for his abilities as a youtube personality. He has a GT40, Senna, AMG GT, and a few other nice cars.

16 hours ago, LebongJames said:

Just did a track day. I drove a Ferrari 488 GTB got up to 147 on straight away. Couple of buddies drove 911 GT3 RS and one drove a Lamborghini Huracan.

The guys that drove the Porsche had lowest lap time. 

What a blast. I get all the hype

Awesome. What track did you run?  And, be careful, it’s a drug that sinks it’s teeth in fast.  

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 5:40 PM, LebongJames said:

Just did a track day. I drove a Ferrari 488 GTB got up to 147 on straight away. Couple of buddies drove 911 GT3 RS and one drove a Lamborghini Huracan.

The guys that drove the Porsche had lowest lap time. 

What a blast. I get all the hype

not a surprise.  the GT3 on a track is a freaking blast and total rush.  

On 11/17/2019 at 10:27 AM, Atxracer said:

Awesome. What track did you run?  And, be careful, it’s a drug that sinks it’s teeth in fast.  

It was in Vegas. It was a blast and the coaches helped a ton with braking and hit the turns correctly.

Already looked up events out at COTA. I think it’s something I definitely could get way in to.

1 hour ago, LebongJames said:

It was in Vegas. It was a blast and the coaches helped a ton with braking and hit the turns correctly.

Already looked up events out at COTA. I think it’s something I definitely could get way in to

I did that deal too on a bachelor party.  If you were shopping for super cars, that would be a good way to test drive them. 

Edge addicts will be there in three weeks and I think MVP is running in February.  Porsche has a Schnell fest combined with a race usually in March or April. Hit me up if you choose to do any of them and will help you with the addiction. Just as another warning, DE’s are the nicotine version and where most people start the drug. 

looks like another air shock is out on my Panamera gts.  quite a frequent occurrence in these cars.  I have a 2020 macan loaner.  I have raved about this vehicle in the past, but the move to a fucking 4 cylinder to meet vehicle fleet cafe standards has totally ruined this vehicle.  there is no soul in it anymore.  fucking thing sounds like a weed eater and is just woefully underpowered.  yuck.  

Right. Don't know. But my guess is yes. It's a matter of software and not mechanics.

Well, it would need a separate, lower ratio gearset. The electric motors have lots of torque which would be better than a traditional 4WD-Hi system, but you need another transfer case/drive system gearset to have actual low range. I wonder if this is using a similar system to the S that still uses drive axles. The tri motor seems to me like it might have a traditional rear drive unit and two individual front wheel motors. I’d be interested to know.

The Rivian is using 4 individual wheel motors and as such has no driveshafts or axles and will not have a separate low range. The benefit of that setup though is you can still simulate locking differentials.

So funny. I think this is gonna grow on people. Functionally, it is unsurpassed and will kill any POS truck currently manufactured. They did a tug of war with an F150 and lol.

Took about 5 minutes for me. My initial reaction was no fucking way. Spent a couple of minutes on the website and now it’s fuck yes.

8 hours ago, Thujone said:

Go camping!

Screen-Shot-2019-11-21-at-10-57-57-PM.pn

It's the Pontiac Aztec of EVs!  *Okie State* beat me to that... well played

Specs look great, but I really wish they'd done a better job with the design.   Boxy/angular is fine just make it look like a modern/future version of a classic.  Chevy Panel Truck, Bronco, J10...  This is a big swing and miss and I like Tesla.  Want to carry something long on top...  like a kayak or surfboards.  Goodluck

Edited by Loco

8 hours ago, LebongJames said:

14k towing and 3500lb payload. What’s the range on that though?

its cool as hell

I'll be interested to see if the truck can stop those loads with Regenerative breaking...  I'm assuming Tesla already has that figured out in the big rig Tesla.   Range for towing depends on whats being towed.   A trailer with 10k lbs of cement will be more efficient to tow than a 10k boat with a fly bridge (wind resistance)

Surprised by the Stainless Steal... that stuff is heavy

7 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Well, it would need a separate, lower ratio gearset. The electric motors have lots of torque which would be better than a traditional 4WD-Hi system, but you need another transfer case/drive system gearset to have actual low range. I wonder if this is using a similar system to the S that still uses drive axles. The tri motor seems to me like it might have a traditional rear drive unit and two individual front wheel motors. I’d be interested to know.

The Rivian is using 4 individual wheel motors and as such has no driveshafts or axles and will not have a separate low range. The benefit of that setup though is you can still simulate locking differentials.

It seems to me that the purpose of a low-range gearset in an traditional IC off-roader is to get max torque from the IC engine at lower axle speeds.  The electric motors have a flat powerband, which I’m sure at least partially obviates the need for a low-range gearset.

Also, locking diffs serve to apply power to the wheel that has the best traction, albeit in a very simplified way.  The independently powered corners of electric cars can torque vector far more intelligently, and I suspect will be far more capable in this regard.

Disclaimer:  This opinion is uneducated and unsubstantiated by research or facts, as any good online post should be.

35 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Took about 5 minutes for me. My initial reaction was no fucking way. Spent a couple of minutes on the website and now it’s fuck yes.

Same.

Same.

You are right and I also do not know how specifically it compares. I have not been able to find much on the subject. I would like to learn more on it to see if it’s truly comparable. One thing though is that they won’t have the supremely low wheel speed modulation that the lower gearing allows to crawl over objects. Nobody is going to be rock crawling in this thing though so it probably won’t matter.

But, this has 3 motors, which is why I assume it will have the traditional drive unit in the rear, which will mean it cannot take advantage of that torque vectoring like the Rivian can (except possibly in the front).

1 hour ago, Loco said:

I'll be interested to see if the truck can stop those loads with Regenerative breaking...  I'm assuming Tesla already has that figured out in the big rig Tesla.   Range for towing depends on whats being towed.   A trailer with 10k lbs of cement will be more efficient to tow than a 10k boat with a fly bridge (wind resistance)

Surprised by the Stainless Steal... that stuff is heavy

max regen is probably around 450kW... somebody do the math on how quickly it can slow down this thing

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

That thing is fucking retarded and you people are all morons.

that's e-morons to you!

I do think Tesla f'd up.  Pickups are the largest auto segment in the US. And a segment that Tesla would have an uphill fight in anyways.  Good luck getting those items that slid up to the cab without climbing in the bed