The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

6 minutes ago, Loco said:

But I'm too redneck for that, I put 33's on the FJ40 and 35's on the tundra ... that shit would be my playground!  Don't need a Bentley to cross a mud puddle.   I have been on record as a x5m fan...  but lets not pretend it's a design built off-road machine.

Nice chick tires. I've got a set of 44 Ground Hawgs lying around still I think.

I actually with tell you the X5 is a very good offroad machine, a much better performer than my wife's Forrester. And its essentially a sports car on the road. So like I orginally said, they literally do exactly what they are designed to. Blow the doors off 99% of the vehicles you come across on the street and also drive through mud, sand and snow with ease. And do it in crazy comfort, which I value because I drive 150 miles a day on average.

I used to own an offroad company building bog trucks and spend literally everyday of my life moving dirt for a living, driving offroad is what I do. If you have some other vehicle that can do hot laps around a track with the same lap times as V8 Vantage and then put in 4WD and blast across a jobsite after a rain I'm all ears.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

Nice chick tires. I've got a set of 44 Ground Hawgs lying around still I think.

I actually with tell you the X5 is a very good offroad machine, a much better performer than my wife's Forrester. And its essentially a sports car on the road. So like I orginally said, they literally do exactly what they are designed to. Blow the doors off 99% of the vehicles you come across on the street and also drive through mud, sand and snow with ease. And do it in crazy comfort, which I value because I drive 150 miles a day on average.

I used to own an offroad company building bog trucks and spend literally everyday of my life moving dirt for a living, driving offroad is what I do. If you have some other vehicle that can do hot laps around a track with the same lap times as V8 Vantage and then put in 4WD and blast across a jobsite after a rain I'm all ears.

Nice chick tires?   Post a pic of those 44's on that x5...   I'd love to see that! 

You haven't raced bog trucks till you've come down to Naples.

The point still stands the X5M was not built as a mud truck.  Or even a serious off road machine...  you know that in the marketing meetings they didn't give a shit about serious off road capability...  it's about sales.  BMW is not trying to be the next Jeep.    It may work for you, but you are a niche market.

45 minutes ago, Loco said:

The point still stands the X5M was not built as a mud truck.

Who exactly said this?

45 minutes ago, Loco said:

It may work for you, but you are a niche market.

Literally exactly what I said.

Edited by G650

Just now, G650 said:

Who exactly said this?

No, that would be in the engineering meetings, where they absolutely did. The marketing meetings were dedicated to selling it to subarbanites.

Literally exactly what I said.

Everyone who has seen a mud truck

ok whatever you say....   X5M Marketed to the mud truck market and they dominated.  Everyone in Berlin celebrates a huge win.   Fuck those soccer mom mother fuckers!

27 minutes ago, Loco said:

X5M Marketed to the mud truck market and they dominated. 

33 minutes ago, G650 said:

Who exactly said this?

Surly Poster: Saw a Bentley SUV

G: Some of these luxury SUVs are all show. Some are damn fine performers though. It's an edge case, but some of us use them as intended.

L: What are you talking about they can't do anything offroad and have no offroad engineering

G: I beg to differ.

L: Fine but it's an edge case owner

G: Exactly what I said.

L: What do you mean they are mud trucks

G: I have not seen anyone opine about them being mud trucks, rather sports cars that can go offroad.

L: That's absurd, they are clearly not mud trucks. <Insert sarcasm >

G: Neat.

Edited by G650
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

All I know is that the x5 needs the 44” jobs and maybe a Dixie Horn. Get some respect when you roll up to a job site. 

How about these 49" Iroks I got out back?

20191202-065032.jpg

11 hours ago, Okie State said:

WTF is going on in here?

Had some teenagers tell me my SS was a true family man's car. I was okay with that.

Damn right.

3 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

Uh, I don't think those are gonna fit on that truck in its current state.

Indeed. That's my buddy and former partner aforementioned offroad biz's C30. Alas, another one of his unfinished projects. The tires were on a K5 Blazer, they are just in the truck bed for storage.

@G650 I’m too lazy to look but does the X5 have any real ground clearance?  AWD or 2-spd transfer case? Say compared to a 4x4 Yukon/Tahoe?  Having a shitload of power and ability to power 75%/100% of its wheels doesn’t scream “capable” off-road to me (most?) but I digress. It very obviously works for you, and you’ve claimed it fits your niche well.   Obv the 5 would beat the shit out of the aforementioned on the street/track and is luxurious. 

I’ve never gotten the wife’s denali stuck even in places I thought it might but anything with real ruts/rocks and it would be done for.   It just doesn’t have the ground clearance to do shit, but does have the power to navigate (flat) mud.  I also (until recently) lived on job sites with heavy civil, and can understand what you are saying. 

15 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

@G650 I’m too lazy to look but does the X5 have any real ground clearance?  AWD or 2-spd transfer case? Say compared to a 4x4 Yukon/Tahoe?  Having a shitload of power and ability to power 75%/100% of its wheels doesn’t scream “capable” off-road to me (most?) but I digress. It very obviously works for you, and you’ve claimed it fits your niche well.   Obv the 5 would beat the shit out of the aforementioned on the street/track and is luxurious. 

I’ve never gotten the wife’s denali stuck even in places I thought it might but anything with real ruts/rocks and it would be done for.   It just doesn’t have the ground clearance to do shit, but does have the power to navigate (flat) mud.  I also (until recently) lived on job sites with heavy civil, and can understand what you are saying. 

Heavy civil is my life.

Eh, 9 inches I think? Not terribly different from a conventional pickup or SUV with solid axles. The biggest area almost any vehicle suffers though is the break over angle. No idea what that would be on the X5. Not super, but not terrible, and very far away from sports car which is basically nil. Less than a F150.

It's a variable AWD that manages power output on the fly, and honestly that is the most powerful part of it. If I were building rigs still, I would 100% put an BMW computer based system in. It's scary how good the traction logic is. Just 15 years ago the go to was Dana 60 front/70 rear with lockers on a short bed or long bed single cab platform setup as a 4 link. Pop in a big block and done. Now, toss in a few wheels speed sensors and brake controllers with BMW transaxles and you would own it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 52-80 said:

Lmao Jaguar butchered the ftype and turned into a 2 door xf

It's Jag, of course they did.

@fattyflattieyou actually got me pondering what the angles were so I looked a few up. It looks like the 19' F150 mid bed 4x4 has an attack/departure/break of 25/26/21 degrees. The X5 has a lot of conflicting info but looks like about 22/22/ and either 18 or 20 for breakover. For reference, a 911GT is 6/9/10. The F150 and X5 have almost identical ground clearance.

Anyway, back to cars, just got done with this season of The Crown and now I really want a Rolls Phantom V with a chauffeur.

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

You should just get a KR F150, it would cover all your needs.

Edited by Brew

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

This for me or G?   My decision resides between 3/4 and 1-tons, not 150’s. But the new KR’s are in the list when the time comes. 

For both technically based on his aforementioned love of all things KR’s. I’m looking at 250’s now, but I’m not sure the size difference is going to work. I may just finally need to suck it up and buy one and then an every day driver car for all the road miles I run up. 

I can’t ever see going back.  I live in Houston and it’s parkable in all but the tightest spots.  Just like anything else it just becomes an extension of yourself, and normal. A DRW gets a bit tighter but still isn’t difficult.  The trade off for the power and beefiness of everything is worth the premium imo. Not even comparable when towing. 
*Does suck more “offroad”. 

57 minutes ago, Brew said:

I may just finally need to suck it up and buy one and then an every day driver car for all the road miles I run up. 

Getting one for towing? I'd definitely just get a tow vehicle and get something decent to drive because fuck driving one every day. Spent more hours of my life stuck doing that than I care to think about.

If you are looking at Ford, I'd also strongly recommend a V10. I don't buy diesels in anything other than the class 8 trucks anymore.

I put about 30k a year on my truck with some years being more. I probably put 6k a year on it pulling a boat with four of those trips being thousand mile runs taking it to the beach house and back for seasons. I stay in a newer model truck for reliability because of that. I’ve thought about storing it there, getting an older F250 for the local lake trips, and then buying a car for work driving. I’ll probably just buy a newer 250 and stick with the one vehicle though. i would rather keep the multiple boats and stick with one vehicle. I need cheaper hobbies.

Edited by Brew

15 hours ago, elfenix said:

i'm praying for the millennial/zennial backlash against _UVs

The only thing they want is auto pilot so they can surf the net instead of drive.  

Kind of weird to think a large portion of those under 35-40 have never experienced not being in traffic to understand the olds love of performance.  Very few see the point and most care more about the interior than the performance. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, G650 said:

I don't buy diesels in anything other than the class 8 trucks anymore.

Not going to lie, I’m apprehensive about the next one. But current ride has been fantastic and people were freaking out about the DPF when I bought it. 

But the alternative is a gasser in a big truck and fuck that.  Among the obvious, they are too expensive on the front end to watch the value drop like a rock.  In Texas anyhow.  15k less similarly equipped in the lightly used market. It’s rare to see many selling anything other than an XL with the gasser around Houston, so it’s rare to see one well equipped. But when you do, you’ll know before you even click on the ad. But unlike Brew, I keep one as long as it stays (absolutely) reliable. So we may be talking apples to oranges anyhow. 

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Not going to lie, I’m apprehensive about the next one. But current ride has been fantastic and people were freaking out about the DPF when I bought it. 

But the alternative is a gasser in a big truck and fuck that.  Among the obvious, they are too expensive on the front end to watch the value drop like a rock.  In Texas anyhow.  15k less similarly equipped in the lightly used market. It’s rare to see many selling anything other than an XL with the gasser around Houston, so it’s rare to see one well equipped. But when you do, you’ll know before you even click on the ad. But unlike Brew, I keep one as long as it stays (absolutely) reliable. So we may be talking apples to oranges anyhow. 

I'm going out on a limb and guessing by big truck you mean F250 or so. We run gas motors in everything up to class 6 (F650 size), and the V10's have been marvelous motors, much better than the diesels. The buy in on a diesel is 11K right off the bat, so with the difference in operating costs, if you see a 15K difference in resale then you would at least break even, and most likely come out ahead. We run them for half a million miles or so, for us it's a no brainer. I can wad up and throw away a couple gas motors for the cost of one diesel and come out way ahead. Basically everyone here is running gas now, concrete guys, landscapers, heavy utilities like me.

The most hardcore diesel guys are the hobbyists. You know the carpenter that "needs" the crew cab F350 Powerstroke mall crawler. Which is cool if you are into it, I mean I drive a 650 HP SUV for the simple reason I want to, so not judging. From a practical perspective though the new gas trucks are light years ahead of the diesels. Ford just stocks them because they make an ass ton more money on them.

15 minutes ago, G650 said:

I'm going out on a limb and guessing by big truck you mean F250 or so. We run gas motors in everything up to class 6 (F650 size), and the V10's have been marvelous motors, much better than the diesels. The buy in on a diesel is 11K right off the bat, so with the difference in operating costs, if you see a 15K difference in resale then you would at least break even, and most likely come out ahead. We run them for half a million miles or so, for us it's a no brainer. I can wad up and throw away a couple gas motors for the cost of one diesel and come out way ahead. Basically everyone here is running gas now, concrete guys, landscapers, heavy utilities like me.

The most hardcore diesel guys are the hobbyists. You know the carpenter that "needs" the crew cab F350 Powerstroke mall crawler. Which is cool if you are into it, I mean I drive a 650 HP SUV for the simple reason I want to, so not judging. From a practical perspective though the new gas trucks are light years ahead of the diesels. Ford just stocks them because they make an ass ton more money on them.

My fil is the biggest reason I went gas. He convinced me with simple math and I dont regret it one bit. I ended up getting the same mpg in the new truck I did with the old so I am happy. Also, not a king ranch. 🤣

My FIL has always been a legit cowboy and has had diesels his whole life to pull cattle/horse gooseneck trailers around.  He bought a new truck last year and got a  3/4 ton Dodge gasser for the first time.  He couldn't justify the increased expense and PITA of dealing with the DEF - and I think all of his other buddies had made the same switch.

I've always wanted a diesel pickup, mainly for the towing/torque but partly because of the aesthetics that come along with it.  FIL has convinced me that if I ever get one to be honest with myself and accept that I'd be doing it more for the aesthetic than anything else. 

5 hours ago, G650 said:

I'm going out on a limb and guessing by big truck you mean F250 or so.

In that context with Brew, yes. But I’ve been around plenty of “big” trucks, check the stick it in the hole and gouge it thread (used to super heavy haul PM). 

5 hours ago, G650 said:

We run them for half a million miles or so, for us it's a no brainer.

I would agree that math works.  Every gasser I’ve ever had was tiiiiiired by about 250k.  Doubling that changes the math, easily. 

5 hours ago, G650 said:

The most hardcore diesel guys are the hobbyists. You know the carpenter that "needs" the crew cab F350 Powerstroke mall crawler. Which is cool if you are into it, I mean I drive a 650 HP SUV for the simple reason I want to, so not judging.

True. This is America and shit doesn’t have to make sense. 

5 hours ago, G650 said:

From a practical perspective though the new gas trucks are light years ahead of the diesels.

I know several people who’ve gone diesel to 6.2 ford, back to diesel.  It’ll pull the campers fine, until it gets windy. Or they go to the hill country, or whatever.  Like my buddies ecoboost that on paper can replace a semi (to hear him talk) but can’t maintain 75 with a bay boat in south Texas.  And if a headwind blows, not even getting out of 5th. 

But I keep an old lifted half-Ton for mud and beach trips (and nostalgia) because my pig can’t do that so fuck me. 

11 hours ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Kind of weird to think a large portion of those under 35-40 have never experienced not being in traffic to understand the olds love of performance.  Very few see the point and most care more about the interior than the performance. 

I think this effect is slowly but steadily killing performance cars. Unless you have access to a track ($$$), or live someplace very rural, it's really difficult to drive with any degree of "sportiness" -- there's so much traffic congestion (and law enforcement) that you can't really do anything "fun" anymore on public streets.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

I know several people who’ve gone diesel to 6.2 ford, back to diesel.  

Tbh, sounds like a driver issue. We pull excavators and bulldozers with the 3V V10. But not surprising as weekenders are gonna fall more on enthusiasts side, and rightly so as it's for fun and not work so run what brings you happiness.

29 minutes ago, G650 said:

Tbh, sounds like a driver issue. We pull excavators and bulldozers with the 3V V10. But not surprising as weekenders are gonna fall more on enthusiasts side, and rightly so as it's for fun and not work so run what brings you happiness.

I absolutely believe it’s not a “can’t be done” issue.  I think people enjoy stepping on the skinny pedal and it moving like they want.  Nothing more than that and for some, I’m sure a “status symbol”.  Me I like as much ass as I can get when towing, even if not particularly needed.   I’m pre-DEF but my mileage (before tires) was pretty solid. 21@70, 19@75.  Now with cylinder deactivation etc I’m sure gassers can do same or close. At the time, not even close. 

34 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

I think this effect is slowly but steadily killing performance cars. Unless you have access to a track ($$$), or live someplace very rural, it's really difficult to drive with any degree of "sportiness" -- there's so much traffic congestion (and law enforcement) that you can't really do anything "fun" anymore on public streets.

I disagree. Perhaps this has weeded out a few various posers along the way, but people who have the itch are always going to be willing to put in a little effort to drive in a spirited manner. 

Speaking of efforts to drive in a spirited manner, a new Cannonball record was set recently. 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a30085091/these-guys-just-drove-an-e63-amg-across-america-in-a-record-27-hours-25-minutes

• Like 1

I'll tell you another truth, a fuel injected 460 will drag the shit out of a 7.3 diesel. And a 429 was the best motor I ever had in a flat bed.

Only draw back is they got like negative miles to the gallon. I had to drive my F350 from Arkansas to Virginia with one fuel pump out once. Couldn't pass a gas pump.

24 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I disagree. Perhaps this has weeded out a few various posers along the way, but people who have the itch are always going to be willing to put in a little effort to drive in a spirited manner. 

Speaking of efforts to drive in a spirited manner, a new Cannonball record was set recently. 

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a30085091/these-guys-just-drove-an-e63-amg-across-america-in-a-record-27-hours-25-minutes

I think this is really dependent on where you live.

I’m not gonna lie, I hate this unsanctioned Cannonball Run shit. People blasting down public roads at 150+ irks me. Yes, I know a lot of it is in the middle of nowhere, but the other people driving didn’t ask to be a part of that.

Also, Alex Roy is the biggest douche ever.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Significantly more than it always has though? 

Eh, I'm not sure I'd go significantly, but definitely a change as cities have become more onboard with the Complete Streets ethos over the last few decades. Where it was all about the car before it's really changed for ride share, mass transit, cycling etc...

Plus traffic is godawful in many metros to an extent it wasn't before.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

my ecoboost had zero issues pulling a bay boat

Well this one won’t pull a 23’ Haynie down 59 and hold 75. Not in 6th anyhow. 5th, then 6th. 5th then 6th. 5th then 6th.  This isn’t a one time deal, it makes ~5-7 trips from Houston to POC/Rport a year behind that truck.   It’ll fucking move when it’s wound up to 3500+ rpm tho.  But I know 12000#  capacity rah rah. 

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I’m not gonna lie, I hate this unsanctioned Cannonball Run shit. People blasting down public roads at 150+ irks me. Yes, I know a lot of it is in the middle of nowhere, but the other people driving didn’t ask to be a part of that.

Yeah the amount of planning and whatnot is cool, but I agree. Everyone else on the road didn’t sign up for that. Hopefully nothing bad ever comes of it.  Wonder how bad Bolians ass will be hurt over it. I know he knows the guys and whatnot, but he seems like the type to get butthurt over no longer holding it. Maybe not. 

9 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I remember seeing his polizei-costumed M5 act in Gumball 3000 when they revived that NY-LA run in 2001 or whatever it was.  Thought it was pretty colorful. 

Then much later I saw him in long-interview format on some car channel.  Turned out to be a complete dullard.  He has all the personality of a door knob.  Couldn't believe that was the same guy with all the charades from the cannonball run