The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Well this one won’t pull a 23’ Haynie down 59 and hold 75. Not in 6th anyhow. 5th, then 6th. 5th then 6th. 5th then 6th.  This isn’t a one time deal, it makes ~5-7 trips from Houston to POC/Rport a year behind that truck.   It’ll fucking move when it’s wound up to 3500+ rpm tho.  But I know 12000#  capacity rah rah. 

I have put quite a few miles on the 3.5 pulling boats in a 15 and 17. They pull fine especially locally,  but it works them and gas mileage is abysmal if you’re trying to maintain any sort of interstate speed. Like you, that’s the main reason I’m looking at a 3/4 and up. I may take a look at the gas motors as well and see what I think.

1 hour ago, Brew said:

No, 2015 and 2017 F150 Ecoboost. The 15 had the 6 speed and the 17 has the 10 speed which exacerbated the problems fatty is having. The boats are 20-28 foot, depending on where we’re headed and what we’re doing.

Yeah, figured that out after the fact. Duh.

You should be able to tow a 20 foot boat with a damn station wagon. A 28 footer you would definitely want at least a pickup. An F150 would be on the light end for sure.

5 hours ago, Brew said:

I have put quite a few miles on the 3.5 pulling boats in a 15 and 17. They pull fine especially locally,  but it works them and gas mileage is abysmal if you’re trying to maintain any sort of interstate speed. Like you, that’s the main reason I’m looking at a 3/4 and up. I may take a look at the gas motors as well and see what I think.

This is with a ‘13 with about 50k miles.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s enough and doesn’t “struggle” by any means. But he would definitely welcome more power if possible.    He wouldn’t want to hook to our cattle trailer or any of the tractors for anything more than in town running. 

My mileage is abysmal while towing even light so don’t let that weigh in too heavily. Imo you don’t see the tow mileage benefits until you get real heavy or really non-aero.  Big cattle trailers and campers etc. Even then the mileage still sucks but at least you have the power/weight.  

Anyhow, back to cool cars.  Wife was thoroughly unimpressed when I laid out my get fatty a gently used F430 plan recently. I must have offered to sell the wrong kid. 

20 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

I think this effect is slowly but steadily killing performance cars. Unless you have access to a track ($$$), or live someplace very rural, it's really difficult to drive with any degree of "sportiness" -- there's so much traffic congestion (and law enforcement) that you can't really do anything "fun" anymore on public streets.

I was in my trip computer the other day and noticed I averaged 23 mph over the last 6 months.  I had two 800 mile trips with the cruise control set at 78mph during that time period. The majority of my day to day driving is under 35mph.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

On 12/3/2019 at 6:23 AM, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

The only thing they want is auto pilot so they can surf the net instead of drive.  

Kind of weird to think a large portion of those under 35-40 have never experienced not being in traffic to understand the olds love of performance.  Very few see the point and most care more about the interior than the performance. 

I think performance enthusiasts under 40 are that way because of their upbringing. CHIEF Jr. eats and breathes performance vehicles, completely obsessed. I was the same way when I was his age. When he finishes his mechanical engineering degree, he wants to work for Koenigsegg or another exclusive car builder.

CHIEF

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

When he finishes his mechanical engineering degree, he wants to work for Koenigsegg or another exclusive car builder.

That's badass. I almost went to UC Irvine after UCSB because they had full engine program, unique in the country at the time.

Edited by G650

19 hours ago, HOOKEM4 said:

The best part about them was the leather and when I was looking at trucks a few months back I looked in one and the leather wasn't close to the quality it used to be. I dont get how they still sell.

for the same reason little old ladies putt around in E63 AMGs: it's expensive so it sells.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

That's badass. I almost went to UC Irvine after UCSB because they have full engine program, unique in the country

Thanks for the info. Differential Equations is kicking his ass right now, and he is a little down, I'll give him this tidbit to keep him "aligned".

CHIEF

2 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Thanks for the info. Differential Equations is kicking his ass right now, and he is a little down, I'll give him this tidbit to keep him "aligned".

CHIEF

DiffeEQ fucking sucks, I feel his pain.

I don't know how the program is at UCI these days, it appears to be focused on aerospace propulsion more than anything by the quick google search I did.

I should have fucked around a little less and realized sooner than I did that I couldn't learn organic chemistry the nights before the exams.

I think I would make a fine radiologist or podiatrist or dermatologist or any other type of physician that gets to keep banker's hours. 

Aunt/balls/uncle... 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

On 12/5/2019 at 5:50 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

radiologist or podiatrist or dermatologist or any other type of physician that gets to keep banker's hours. 

while radiologists can read from home, they're not keeping bankers hours, per the ones i've been representing around here.  there are graveyard shifts because bad shit happens overnight. 

On 12/6/2019 at 12:50 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

I should have fucked around a little less and realized sooner than I did that I couldn't learn organic chemistry the nights before the exams.

I think I would make a fine radiologist or podiatrist or dermatologist or any other type of physician that gets to keep banker's hours. 

Aunt/balls/uncle... 

Could also be one of them exploitative chiropractors that work on hot chicks and posts the clips on YouTube

• Like 1

Somewhat curious that ChiTownDoc and G650 are slagging a luxury vehicle choice.  Glass houses, or X5Ms, AMGs and Lambos and shit.

Also, DiffEq was easier to me than 808A and B.  But Dr. Guy (for calculus not diffeq).  I'm just glad I didn't have to take vector calculus.

And yeah, if Statics kills you. you're in trouble.  It's another 80 hours of stuff just like it.  Or more like it than not.  Until EM306S, I bypassed or eschewed free body diagrams because I could keep shit straight in my head.  I learned a couple of hard lessons in the engineering mechanics courses.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2019 at 5:26 PM, elfenix said:

while radiologists can read from home, they're not keeping bankers hours, per the ones i've been representing around here.  there are graveyard shifts because bad shit happens overnight. 

A lot of these lifestyle practices, to the extent they actually exist, are going to go poof with government healthcare.

On 12/5/2019 at 5:50 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Aunt/balls/uncle... 

PMR is a great specialty 

Primarily Money and Relaxation 😅

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Somewhat curious that ChiTownDoc and G650 are slagging a luxury vehicle choice.  Glass houses, or X5Ms, AMGs and Lambos and shit.

Also, DiffEq was easier to me than 808A and B.  But Dr. Guy (for calculus not diffeq).  I'm just glad I didn't have to take vector calculus.

And yeah, if Statics kills you. you're in trouble.  It's another 80 hours of stuff just like it.  Or more like it than not.  Until EM306S, I bypassed or eschewed free body diagrams because I could keep shit straight in my head.  I learned a couple of hard lessons in the engineering mechanics courses.

You guys bring back some good memories.  I was a champ at cramming.  I learn by doing so I struggled until clinicals at which point I nailed everything through being chief resident.  

I know many a doc who was the polar opposite.  Glad I was more wired for the real world - of PJ’s, lambos, boats, and...

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

serious lee.  get back on track.  somebody go buy something cool and report back.  

Finally got notice of delivery date of my Tesla for next week.  (Though it probably doesn't qualify as cool).  But I'll be out of the country.  Pondering to fly back just to pick up the car and parking it at home for the rest of the year.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Finally got notice of delivery date of my Tesla for next week.  (Though it probably doesn't qualify as cool).  But I'll be out of the country.  Pondering to fly back just to pick up the car and parking it at home for the rest of the year.

cool enough if it gets this back on track, and off the almost derailment into....whatever it was devolving into. 

18 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Lucky. I am still waiting for my BMW to stop working so I can by a 3.