The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 12/5/2019 at 6:50 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

I should have fucked around a little less and realized sooner than I did that I couldn't learn organic chemistry the nights before the exams.

I think I would make a fine radiologist or podiatrist or dermatologist or any other type of physician that gets to keep banker's hours. 

Aunt/balls/uncle... 

Not all Radiologists get to keep banker's hours. My father worked many nights when on call and that was one of the reasons we lived only two miles from the hospital so that when the Emergency Room needed him he could get there quickly. But according to Dad it was much better than dealing with the blood and guts that many doctors have to deal with every day.

yesterday morning driving down Wilshire BLV in Beverly hills I got my first look at the new 2020 Corvette.  I am aware they're not available yet, but some old dude was out cruising in one yesterday.  It was Rapid Blue in color which on the website looks light/royal.  in person it looks like the Porsche Miami Blue.  a pretty pale/ baby blue.  Didn't get a chance to get a picture as I was driving, and he was driving towards me.  From my brief encounter/glimpse I can say I was pretty blown away seeing it in the wild.  I thought it looked much better in person than on a computer screen, but also it was completely distinguishable what it was immediately.  Despite many, myself included, saying it is a Ferrari design rip off, I felt like that was not the case seeing it live.  It's is a damn striking and unique looking car.  I am very excited about that car and it's future.  

• Like 5

On 12/12/2019 at 2:20 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

Not all Radiologists get to keep banker's hours. My father worked many nights when on call and that was one of the reasons we lived only two miles from the hospital so that when the Emergency Room needed him he could get there quickly. But according to Dad it was much better than dealing with the blood and guts that many doctors have to deal with every day.

Today your old man would wake up and open up his laptop, not drive to work.  Also many radiologists live a few time zones away so they can choose regular hrs and get paid for night/call.  Crazy world.  

9 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

yesterday morning driving down Wilshire BLV in Beverly hills I got my first look at the new 2020 Corvette.  I am aware they're not available yet, but some old dude was out cruising in one yesterday.  It was Rapid Blue in color which on the website looks light/royal.  in person it looks like the Porsche Miami Blue.  a pretty pale/ baby blue.  Didn't get a chance to get a picture as I was driving, and he was driving towards me.  From my brief encounter/glimpse I can say I was pretty blown away seeing it in the wild.  I thought it looked much better in person than on a computer screen, but also it was completely distinguishable what it was immediately.  Despite many, myself included, saying it is a Ferrari design rip off, I felt like that was not the case seeing it live.  It's is a damn striking and unique looking car.  I am very excited about that car and it's future.  

Damn miss that Miami Blue 911.   Saw a baby blue aventador on SoBE this past weekend.  Serious head turner.  

13 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

Maybe it was actually a ferrari

• Like 1

Yeah the amount of planning and whatnot is cool, but I agree. Everyone else on the road didn’t sign up for that. Hopefully nothing bad ever comes of it.  Wonder how bad Bolians ass will be hurt over it. I know he knows the guys and whatnot, but he seems like the type to get butthurt over no longer holding it. Maybe not. 

He lives down the street from me. Super nice guy/family and genuinely happy for the new record holders.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Today your old man would wake up and open up his laptop, not drive to work.  Also many radiologists live a few time zones away so they can choose regular hrs and get paid for night/call.  Crazy world.  

True. His last three years, or so, while in practice he had a laptop from the department that he’d bring home when on call. Mostly it was for CT Scans. Dad was not a computer guy so I always had to get up with him to help get it started. And, that was way before any high speed Internet.

On 12/12/2019 at 3:20 PM, PittsburghTiger said:

I took a good enough bit off my finger while making dinner a few nights ago that the ER doc order X-rays to make sure I didn't take any bone.  Long story short radiology is all digital these days and the Radiologist can live in BFE as long as they have good enough internet. They've still got to get up but their PC is as far as they have to go. And yes that is/was my fingernail.

fedbb2d4e18c2c74293ea2e4b87c5a31.jpg

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

There it is.  Went full enchilada with the sportiest 20" wheel package.  Officially registered with ~510hp but supposed to make somewhere around 550hp.

Haven't been able to do anything but breathe on the pedal because (1) its got 120mph-rated winter rubbers on it and (2) its fucking snowmageddon outside

car.jpg

And for the hilarious part, tesla's QC and paint/build "quality" is every bit as funny as people mocked.  My TPMS sensors dont work.  And I was convinced they didnt even fill the washer fluid, which was less funny when ice started building up on the windshield while i was on the freeway.  Although that last one was a user error.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Drove past a very mint condition red chevy monza 2 door hatch tonight. It was very confusing that someone would either take such good care of, or bother restoring, a monza. I can’t think of the last time I saw a monza on the road. 

That's a love affair. I owned a Monza, don't recall the year model now but it had a 3.9l that was pretty damn peppy. Fun little ride on the winding North Carolina back roads, the nephews called it the "buggy car". 

Pakistani McGuyver fabricates his own cars

Really impressive stuff.  I've seen awesome builds from well-funded middle-aged engineers, but this one was from a kid.  Apparently his family runs a workshop so hes probably got some homespun knowledge and access to tools, but it's still absolute minimal-budget, grassroots DIY. 

first car

Original video, years before

Current project, absolutely mental, using AMG motor salvaged from another car

His channel's got some wild frankenstein mods to the original E55 including remote-controlled DRS spoiler; removing an AMG engine by himself in a day in the driveway with barebones tools; etc.  

• Like 2

So I've been binge-watching that dude's car build series, and went from impressed to absolutely fascinated. 

Just to pimp a few videos:

Building the chassis.  This is hand welding basically scrap iron on the floor of his garage with fucking vice clamps and paper-traced mitering.  Backyard grade stuff.

Electronics.  Making a paddle-shift system from scratch.  Insane.

And for a bit of hilarity, in one of the very few instance where he has outside help -- having a shop fabricate the rear wing (promo stunt?) -- their equipment suffers failure and he ends up repairing their CNC machine.  LMAO.

In a later video, pre-dating the wing, he took the car to Laguna Seca, having never driven the course and never track-tested the car, on a casual lap it clocks ~1:55, which is the same as a production Acura NSX.  The ingenuity and capability of some folks is amazing

• Like 2

I'm looking to spend $7000 cash on a car with a manual trans to keep up in Little Rock to drive when I'm there 3-4 days a month.  I'd love to have something German but I can be talked out of that.  I'm thinking about a cheap GTI, maybe a E46/E90 3-series, or a mid-2000s A4.  Only requirements are manual trans, good mpg, reliable, and fun to drive.  I know, you're going to tell me reliability and German don't fit in the same sentence, but they can't all be pieces of shit, right?  What would you buy in my situation?

1 hour ago, Assman said:

I'm looking to spend $7000 cash on a car with a manual trans to keep up in Little Rock to drive when I'm there 3-4 days a month.  I'd love to have something German but I can be talked out of that.  I'm thinking about a cheap GTI, maybe a E46/E90 3-series, or a mid-2000s A4.  Only requirements are manual trans, good mpg, reliable, and fun to drive.  I know, you're going to tell me reliability and German don't fit in the same sentence, but they can't all be pieces of shit, right?  What would you buy in my situation?

Miata. Yes, the $7000 German car will be a POS. 

5 hours ago, Assman said:

Acura rsx aged pretty well. 

17 hours ago, Assman said:

Maybe a WRX? Could be hard to find a reliable, unmolested, non-ragged one in that location and price point though. MPG is middling, especially if you flog it. 

Saw these yesterday. 

20200104_140050.jpg

20200104_140135.jpg

20200104_140126.jpg

20200104_140117.jpg

20200104_140107.jpg

20200104_140159.jpg

20200104_140146.jpg

38 minutes ago, Assman said:

RSX crossed my mind.  I've never been a fan of Miatas and/or any Suburu product. 

Anyone ever owned a 1-series?  I've added that to the list too.

I have a 2011 135i with DCT that I bought CPO in 2013 when I was living in the bay area. It is my first sports car, so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I love it. It is plenty fast for me and has great acceleration. The original run-flat tires with the stiff suspension made for a pretty tough ride, but when it was time to replace them, I went with non run-flats and the ride is much improved. Since I moved back to Denver, I bought a beater SUV for snow days, so I could keep this car.

As far as issues, it's been a daily driver for me and I've only had two non-standard maintenance issues with it. The first was the water pump failed a couple of years after I bought it and that was covered under warranty. Then, a couple of years ago there was a leak in the engine cooling system that was about $700 to repair at my independent mechanic. They also replaced the battery at the same time because it was throwing off some other codes (all cleared with new battery) and that was about $400 since they have to "register" the battery to the car for it to charge properly.

I've worked from home the last couple years, so it doesn't get driven as much (~7k miles/yr). Mostly out to the airport and a couple road trips a year, in addition to the grocery runs/errands. It's been paid off for a few years now and I don't have any plans to get something else any time soon.

Let me know if you have any questions I didn't answer.

Well, I gave up my krautwagen dreams/nightmares and picked up a CPO 2017 ATS with a 2.0T.  I drove some Vs, which are nice, very nice, and the alcantara just photographs poorly, but looks alright in person.  There just aren't any 3.6 V6 ATS out there to buy, so that was pretty much off the table.

Oddly enough, driven sanely, there's little difference between the V and the regular ATS.  It's that good (the V is that refined and the ordinary is that taut).  When you stomp on it, the difference becomes apparent, of course, but it's a sweet little ride.  And so fucking cheap.  So.  Fucking. Cheap.  Did I mention how cheap it was?

I'm a cheap bastard to start with and am on the glide slope to retirement.  I think we're in fine shape that way, but it makes it very hard to spend irresponsibly on a depreciating asset.

We have had good experiences with GM products for the last decade or so, we shall see if this one follows suit.  The CPO gives warranty out to 2023, so I should be safe either way.

Edited by TwiceHorn