The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Car hasn't ticked over 4 digits on the odo and already collected its first accident this morning.

Dude from opposite direction was going downslope, coming around a blind right-turn bend.  Road was icy so he plowed straight ahead, into my lane (I was starting my left-turn). 

I couldn't avoid him, so my front bumper went into his right fender.

It was a hilariously-slow-motion incident.  I have the dashcam.  No police involved.  Im 95% confident it's his fault for encroaching into "my" path, but I'm wondering if his insurance wouldn't pay me out due to me not being able to avoid him.

This constitutes the 5% of my fear. 

There is a little lot on the right.  Not a real parking lot.  It's really just an access road for service vehicles.  That he can say was his driving intent (rather than following the dashed path), so he had the right of way. 

If that curbed entrance wasn't there, then obviously he was in the space of my entitlement. 

path.png

On 1/13/2020 at 10:51 AM, G650 said:

Variable valve timing is great until it asplodes.

Yeah I wasn't particularly commenting on its value or reliability, just that it was a) clever and b) an almost purely mechanical engine improvement.  I guess direct injection falls in that category, as well, but eeeeeelectronics I think enable DI, perhaps no more than port injection.

That said, I have had three VVT vehicles with a combined about 300k on their clocks without issues.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I’m sure that’s a cool car but why even call it a mustang? I don’t get it.

There's talk that Ford has been considering spinning Mustang off as a stand-alone brand. Not a great idea IMO but if they do, they'll need a few new models. 

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

That said, I have had three VVT vehicles with a combined about 300k on their clocks without issues.

Yeah, I wouldn't say they are super unreliable or anything in my experience ( I think we have gone through maybe 20 or 30 vehicles with VVT?), but when they cut loose, watch out.

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Gross.

My top of the line ‘96 Cobra made less horsepower than a 2019 4-cylinder. Of course it had a lot more headroom (there are 800hp turbo kits) and sounded much better.

in an odd twist, I actually don't hate that thing.  chances of me buying 1 are less than 0, but I don't mind them expanding the "mustang" family of cars.  That said, I would not have started the expansion with this thing.  I would have started with a sport sedan in the same category as the former ford tauraus or something.  start with a sedan that is kick ass, and then maybe expand into this thing after you have introduced something that is at least somewhat feasible to wear the mustang badge so it isn't as shocking when you see something that is totally not within the scope of a performance car with a mustang badge. And im not saying the sedan idea is perfect either, but I can at least get behind the concept of expanding the mustang branding to other vehicle classes with a performance sedan.  This....this is not how you expand.    

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 1

US carmakers are completely ate up with SUV and e-car dumbass.  The latter is probably appropriate, the former is getting absurd.

I was reading that Audi remains committed to cars, sedans in particular, and increased its US sales substantially.  No doubt in large part because of a lack of alternatives.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

in an odd twist, I actually don't hate that thing.  chances of me buying 1 are less than 0, but I don't mind them expanding the "mustang" family of cars.  That said, I would not have started the expansion with this thing.  I would have started with a sport sedan in the same category as the former ford tauraus or something.  start with a sedan that is kick ass, and then maybe expand into this thing after you have introduced something that is at least somewhat feasible to wear the mustang badge so it isn't as shocking when you see something that is totally not within the scope of a performance car with a mustang badge. And im not saying the sedan idea is perfect either, but I can at least get behind the concept of expanding the mustang branding to other vehicle classes with a performance sedan.  This....this is not how you expand.    

Ford has discontinued all non-SUVs/CUVs/trucks besides the Mustang, so it seems silly to erase the brand history of their sedans, hatchbacks, etc. only to try to later reintroduce them as Mustangs. 

But I'm not a marketing shithead, so what do I know... 

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

US carmakers are completely ate up with SUV and e-car dumbass.  The latter is probably appropriate, the former is getting absurd.

I was reading that Audi remains committed to cars, sedans in particular, and increased its US sales substantially.  No doubt in large part because of a lack of alternatives.

It was in SUVs sales that lift the company .4 % for 2019. A3, A4, and A5 plummeted in 2019 US market.

On 1/15/2020 at 12:13 PM, Okie State said:
On 1/15/2020 at 9:24 AM, tbone_ said:
I’m sure that’s a cool car but why even call it a mustang? I don’t get it.

I don't get it either. Of course someone also thought it was a good idea to put a basketball logo on football uniforms, so I don't pretend to try and understand marketing.

Bro, do you even recruits?  Jordan GOAT

I don’t recommend it but people even slap that fucker on their Mustang.  Crazy world, friends.  

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:
Bro, do you even recruits?  Jordan GOAT
I don’t recommend it but people even slap that fucker on their Mustang.  Crazy world, friends.  

Yes, I understand that simpletons like simpleton things. I just don't understand why.

They’re simpletons.  You answered the question.  More nice shit for me.  Love the simpletons.  

11 minutes ago, Okie State said:
12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:
They’re simpletons.  You answered the question.  More nice shit for me.  Love the simpletons.  

Haha yeah I thought about that after I pressed send. Simpletons gonna simpleton.

And it’s not a money thing.  Some people are just idiots no matter what they have financially.  The raptors and king ranch trucks crack my shit up.  Nothing wrong with trucks but wtf spending 70k on those massive piles of shit.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

And it’s not a money thing.  Some people are just idiots no matter what they have financially.  The raptors and king ranch trucks crack my shit up.  Nothing wrong with trucks but wtf spending 70k on those massive piles of shit.  

I wouldn't call them massive piles of shit.  Maybe they don't do the things you value, but neither will any of your rigs tow 5,000 or 10,000 lbs, or seat 5 and carry a couple dozen 2x4s and a bundle of sheetrock.  Or go offroad.

I suppose you can scoff at that level of luxury in what could/should be a utility vehicle.  

And, you don't have to get a Raptor to spend 70 grand on a truck.  

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I wouldn't call them massive piles of shit.  Maybe they don't do the things you value, but neither will any of your rigs tow 5,000 or 10,000 lbs, or seat 5 and carry a couple dozen 2x4s and a bundle of sheetrock.  Or go offroad.

I suppose you can scoff at that level of luxury in what could/should be a utility vehicle.  

And, you don't have to get a Raptor to spend 70 grand on a truck.  

Oh no.  I just mean there’s way better trucks that will do all that and look better (Not all plastic on interior) for less money.  You can have a pretty badass custom truck that isn’t all plastic and decals that hits all those performance measures.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
I can dig brodozers.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I think the raptors are cool. Wouldn’t buy one though.

I know a guy that used to do dessert races ...  he had one of the last years that didn't have all the computer nanny controls. (don't remember the year, but it was an early one)  In the right hands it's got plenty of potential (I went for a ride with him and I guarantee you would be holding on for dear life). I haven't talked with him for a while but I know he didn't want a newer one and was shopping for a fun truck replacement. /csb

I wouldn't buy one, but I won't sit here and tell you they are garbage either.  I just struggle to think there is a mainstream market for folks who need and use this type of truck for anything other than a lifestyle accessory.  There is one 3 houses down that the guy uses to tow his 16' whaler. lulz

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

So a lot of car manufacturers are pulling out of auto shows.  Where have I been?  No Mercedes at Chicago this year.  Chicago is the country’s biggest - although LA probably gets the prestige title.  Still - car shows were the shit as a kid.  Damn shame.  

Have you seen the TV commercial for the Chicago Auto Show yet? 

There's some schmuck and his wife all dolled up in black tie, but the wife looks like she's being held hostage, or secretly electrocuted or something. It's really disturbing, funny, and captivating. My wife is tired of me rewinding it a few times each time it airs. 

Look for it. 

• Haha 1

So I am completely new to turbocharged engines.  I have the boost gage on and I am surprised at how often the boost pressure reads "0 psi."

Of course, it has an 8-speed tranny, so cruising at any speed is generally under 2000 rpm, so I guess that accounts for it.

Not sure what I was expecting.  It's quite a little asskicker when you put your foot into it.

41 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Have you seen the TV commercial for the Chicago Auto Show yet? 

There's some schmuck and his wife all dolled up in black tie, but the wife looks like she's being held hostage, or secretly electrocuted or something. It's really disturbing, funny, and captivating. My wife is tired of me rewinding it a few times each time it airs. 

Look for it. 

LMAO.  I have.  For the first drive for charity thing.  I mean I could see how that commercial alone drove off the major auto manufacturers.  It really is that bad.  

So I am completely new to turbocharged engines.  I have the boost gage on and I am surprised at how often the boost pressure reads "0 psi."
Of course, it has an 8-speed tranny, so cruising at any speed is generally under 2000 rpm, so I guess that accounts for it.
Not sure what I was expecting.  It's quite a little asskicker when you put your foot into it.

And really it’s actually at a vacuum most of the time, it’s just not showing you that.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

And really it’s actually at a vacuum most of the time, it’s just not showing you that.

Yeah I guess that's right.  Does the turbo actually act as an intake obstruction until it is producing boost?  Or is it about the same vacuum as it would be if NA?

I've wondered more or less the same thing about roots-type superchargers.  That is, it would seem to need to be rotating not to completely choke off the intake.  Which, of course, it is.  But it seems like that lobed compressor would be more of an obstruction than a centrifugal fan with low rotating moment of inertia.

Edited by TwiceHorn