The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

12 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah I guess that's right.  Does the turbo actually act as an intake obstruction until it is producing boost?  Or is it about the same vacuum as it would be if NA?

I've wondered more or less the same thing about roots-type superchargers.  That is, it would seem to need to be rotating not to completely choke off the intake.  Which, of course, it is.  But it seems like that lobed compressor would be more of an obstruction than a centrifugal fan with low rotating moment of inertia.

Roots blowers are generally geared to be slightly boosting at idle in terms of being used on performance gas motors. You are talking about motors that tend to not idle great to start with. I'm not sure exactly how they are set up on say a Detroit diesel. I've had one Detroit in our fleet but I never really investigated it other than to make sure it was running.

• Like 1

Yeah there was a dude at my high school that "built" and raced (drag) cars with his Dad.  They had a roots blown Firebird and Corvette from the mid 70s.  Dad drove a Ferrari to work, which was always fun because they lived on the corner of a street that was very low-lying and had monstrous dips.  So Dad had to do about 5mph in that thing.

Was always interesting hearing them start up.  Whine, cough cough, rumble gasp rumble.

Obviously I know almost nothing about forced-induction engines other than the basic operating principle.

21 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Looked it up again - my bad - only 6.9 for its 0-60 time. Weight for the Coupe is 2,880 lbs.

Still a quick little car to me though.

Very quick for an "econobox."  I've always kind of liked the Civic.  Seems like a lot of car for the dough.  The Type R is pretty speedy, but such a ricer.

Two vehicles ago, I drove an Acura TSX, which was a JDM Accord, tarted up slightly.  It was a fun and solid car and pretty much a steal even new.  But once I got into the 250 ftlbs plus 3.6 V6, I realized I could never go back to such low torque.  Also really appreciate RWD.  Traction control makes it that much less obvious in the rare icy conditions.

This may be inappropriate for this thread, but I guess my noodling around on 80s engines put this in my google feed.

The story of the GM Quad4, the first American DOHC 4-banger and kind of a harbinger.  https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/01/heres-why-the-quad-4-was-one-of-gms-most-important-engines-ever/   It mainstreamed coil-on-cylinder ignition, among other things.

GM's first all-new engine since the OHV V8 Oldsmobile Rocket in 1948.  My Dad was a big fan of Oldsmobiles because of the Rocket engine.

Rather symbolic of the American laurel-resting of the post-war years.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 1/17/2020 at 9:42 PM, ChiTownDoc said:

And it’s not a money thing.  Some people are just idiots no matter what they have financially.  The raptors and king ranch trucks crack my shit up.  Nothing wrong with trucks but wtf spending 70k on those massive piles of shit.  

For the same reason you choose to spend 250-300k on a car that has competitive options at a third of that price?  Because you like what you like. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bert Orange said:

For the same reason you choose to spend 250-300k on a car that has competitive options at a third of that price?  Because you like what you like. 

Bro it was 600k.  And when money was an issue you can bet your ass I was getting the most bang for the buck I could.  

But your point stands.  To each his own...

On 1/23/2020 at 5:49 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

Tune only. 

Jesus fuck. 

I find it fascinating that SUVs and CUVs try so hard to deny being basically station wagons.  Yet the odd "shooting brake" or sport wagon, or avant, if you must, has fantastic popularity, at least within the enthusiast niche.

• Like 3

My wife and I spent the weekend in Nashville and I rented a Supra from Turo for the duration. This car surprised the hell out of me. I knew the numbers were good, but I was still blown away by the power, acceleration, balance, and handling. This is just one of those cars where you point the nose, mash on the accelerator, and it just goes without fuss. I haven't had that much fun in a car since I rented the 911 GTS in Germany. I haven't driven a 718, but I imagine the Supra is as close to it as anything else. If you have the chance to drive one, do it. Just watch your head as you get in because this fucker is a lot smaller than it looks and that roofline comes at you quick.97fe3d7af5542c4557c1dc30af34be27.jpg35a120aa34427f907bcd50c396d4c210.jpg7337bad47668f4097a88a5e6ae3c8398.jpgf3f106aaff482d1c9b38b56e0a8ae01e.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Because upper middle America

Really wants to buy a station wagon, but really, really doesn't want to admit it.

I haven't checked the specs, but it certainly appears that most of the CUVs have bigger wheels and tires than their SUV counterparts, which is truly bizarre.

So, it appears the the "mystery" of the -V Cadillacs is solved.  The hi-po will be -V Blackwing, while the mid-po will be -V.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Really wants to buy a station wagon, but really, really doesn't want to admit it.
I haven't checked the specs, but it certainly appears that most of the CUVs have bigger wheels and tires than their SUV counterparts, which is truly bizarre.
So, it appears the the "mystery" of the -V Cadillacs is solved.  The hi-po will be -V Blackwing, while the mid-po will be -V.
I thought they were already killing off Blackwing.

16 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Cadillac is so fucking rudderless. It's really disappointing. 

But they've got the Forgettable Crossover for your CREW all figured out. 

Only time I see cadillacs or Lincoln’s they are Uber black cars.  Other than Escalades and those are heading that way too recently.   Seriously.  Are normal people out there buying any of these?  

Navigator and continental seem like decent cars when I’m in em 5 min at a time.  Cadillacs other than Escalade not so much...

The CT6-V seemed promising....so they killed it. The V series cars have always been intriguing to me.

I've read numerous accounts of the Escalades being huge piles of shit after a few years.

I still like how the new Aviator looks. Good for ice fishing too. I thought I read the Continental is dead.

The fact that a bunch of people who actually follow the automotive industry and actually care about what's offered all have no clue about what's what is pretty telling about their total lack of coherent direction in their lineup. 

It's just needlessly inconsistent and impenetrable. Reminds me of the Ad Wizards who decided to fuck up BMW's steady, logical, and well-known nomenclature just for the fuck of it. To a lesser extent, Infiniti did the same thing a few years back, but it's hard to care too much about that when their hottest engines still sound like diarrhea being unleashed into a 5 gallon bucket. 

• Like 1

I feel like part of the charm in the monster wagons is their sleeperishness, and the Audi is almost too rawly aggressive looking - you're not talking your way out of a ticket in that car as easily as you might in the Mercedes. 

Here's a link to a thread with a ton of pictures of the RS6 and the E63 side by side. 

https://mbworld.org/forums/w213-amg/762685-e63-s-wagon-vs-rs6-avant.html

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

7 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Only time I see cadillacs or Lincoln’s they are Uber black cars.  Other than Escalades and those are heading that way too recently.   Seriously.  Are normal people out there buying any of these?  

Navigator and continental seem like decent cars when I’m in em 5 min at a time.  Cadillacs other than Escalade not so much...

Tons of XT5s and XT4s in Dallas.  They sell the shit out of those.  Like most US carmakers, they don't sell much of anything else.  Shame, too, because the ATS and CTS were good cars.  Pretty sure the CT6 was too.

I'm rather fond of this one currently.

IMG-20200115-171215352.jpg

And its predecessor:

2011-cadillac-cts-coupe_100325870_h.jpg

Edited by TwiceHorn

22 hours ago, Ths71 said:

7323e2b5725116c605e2a2ae77171f56.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m a fan, but damn I can’t see dropping $120k on a wagon or much of anything for that matter. Audi has really jumped their pricing up the last few years. We looked at the Q8’s before we bought the Expedition and they had several brushing up against $100k. I don’t think we paid more than $52k or so for the 2 Q5’s and the A5 that she had and the most expensive thing they had on the lot were the new at that time Q7’s that were less than $70k. However, every brand is on that same pricing trajectory I guess.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Okie State said:

Sorry, by okay I mean interesting. I'm sure it's a fine Mom mobile as it is which is obviously the target market. Had used ones been available at the time we may have even looked at them for our kid hauler duties.

Lulz, no need to apologize.  They would probably be a screaming good deal used, as are most American cars.

I’m a fan, but damn I can’t see dropping $120k on a wagon or much of anything for that matter. Audi has really jumped their pricing up the last few years. We looked at the Q8’s before we bought the Expedition and they had several brushing up against $100k. I don’t think we paid more than $52k or so for the 2 Q5’s and the A5 that she had and the most expensive thing they had on the lot were the new at that time Q7’s that were less than $70k. However, every brand is on that same pricing trajectory I guess.

I’m a wagon fan. I tried to find a cool reasonably priced(50k or less) wagon a few years ago for my wife. The only option was the Volvo V60s. None of the DFW dealers kept them in stock. All they had was the jacked up Cross Country models. Ended up getting her another Outback.

The new Buick TourX is pretty nice looking but don’t know if it is worth a damn.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ths71 said:

I’m a wagon fan. I tried to find a cool reasonably priced(50k or less) wagon a few years ago for my wife. The only option was the Volvo V60s. None of the DFW dealers kept them in stock. All they had was the jacked up Cross Country models. Ended up getting her another Outback.

The new Buick TourX is pretty nice looking but don’t know if it is worth a damn.

The TourX has gotten pretty good reviews, as has the Regal Sportback (with seats down it has more cargo space than most smaller SUVs).

It is, in keeping with the current discussion, out of production, or will be shortly.

I might have liked to test drive a Regal GS, which is a sportback, but looks more like an A7 or "gran coupe" thing than a CUV.  But they are rare as hen's teeth.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

Had an A6 wagon rental in Germany. I'm a big fan of wagons.
  • Like 1

I almost convinced my wife to get a V60 or V90, but the selection within 250 miles was basically non-existent. I'd also buy a used MB E350 or E400, but she wasn't sold on the looks. I of course want the E63 version which is a unicorn and very expensive.
  • Like 1