The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

1 hour ago, troph said:

they say it competes with Tesla but it's pushing 50% more expensive.  I guess some folks slum it in their model S ludicrous mode.  that Porsche is pushing $200K - so maybe it competes with the yet to be built roadster.  crazy times.

That is the "turbo" and "turbo s" models.  you can get the 4S model in low 100's.  im not really an electric car guy, but this one has certainly captured my interest.  I will give it a close look the next time I am in the market for a sedan.  

52 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

That is the "turbo" and "turbo s" models.  you can get the 4S model in low 100's.  im not really an electric car guy, but this one has certainly captured my interest.  I will give it a close look the next time I am in the market for a sedan.  

I usually like fully loaded, etc. but for that car I would have to buy used and the lower model.  but I might do it though - as the only car I've considered in lieu of my model S besides the model X I bought (kids ugh) was a Porsche.  I do prefer electric though, which is why this one (used) is now on my radar for the future.

I drive a 2008 335i, because it has no display screen and only barely integrated electronics, because I hate those things very much.

The touch screens and buttons and a lousy scroll wheel are worse than anything. I don’t need 4 ways to turn on the air. But the iPad (only) like configuration with software update feature without a single button or knob is awesome imo.

20 hours ago, troph said:

Whoa ... Porsche electric car on the super bowl ad!! Whoa! So wickedly bad ass. Shoulda already know about it but damn still, sleek looking car. Might want a used one in 2028, ha!

Really, really pretty.  I still don't understand how you call something a Turbo when there is no turbo though...But, based on their recent wacky naming trends, probably not a bad idea they went with the classic model designations.

On another note, a buddy pointed out they snuck the 992 GT3 in that commercial too (the blue one in the back on the lift).  That thing will be a badass. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, troph said:

they say it competes with Tesla but it's pushing 50% more expensive.  I guess some folks slum it in their model S ludicrous mode.  that Porsche is pushing $200K - so maybe it competes with the yet to be built roadster.  crazy times.

The first and foremost advantage is the Porsche actually looks nice.  I still can't stand any of the Tesla models.  Bland boring shit.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bigpoppapump said:

The first and foremost advantage is the Porsche actually looks nice.  I still can't stand any of the Tesla models.  Bland boring shit.

my bigger issues with tesla has always been the interior bits are straight fucking garbage.  performance is incredible.  looks are okay on the model s.  the others look terrible to me, but clearly I can get beyond awkward aesthetics if there are other mitigating factors (2016 Panamera GTS owner).  At the moment it appears tesla may have the taycan beat on straight line performance, but not on track times.  I know, who in the heck would be taking these cars to a track anyway.  However, I know 100% the Porsche interior quality, construction, longevity is going to boat race the tesla, and it does look a ton better.  anyway, it definitely has my attention.  

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

my bigger issues with tesla has always been the interior bits are straight fucking garbage.  performance is incredible.  looks are okay on the model s.  the others look terrible to me, but clearly I can get beyond awkward aesthetics if there are other mitigating factors (2016 Panamera GTS owner).  At the moment it appears tesla may have the taycan beat on straight line performance, but not on track times.  I know, who in the heck would be taking these cars to a track anyway.  However, I know 100% the Porsche interior quality, construction, longevity is going to boat race the tesla, and it does look a ton better.  anyway, it definitely has my attention.  

But that's the thing - ICE has 100 years of track optimization behind it. But in real life, real-world driving conditions the Model S is the fastest car on earth and the worlds first and only daily driver supercar. 

I disagree with you about longevity, simply because the thing only has 30-odd moving parts and I measure longevity in miles driven, not the rate of lost value. But you're right about the interior quality and that extends to the outside through the door handles. Absolute garbage. 

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

But that's the thing - ICE has 100 years of track optimization behind it. But in real life, real-world driving conditions the Model S is the fastest car on earth and the worlds first and only daily driver supercar. 

I disagree with you about longevity, simply because the thing only has 30-odd moving parts and I measure longevity in miles driven, not the rate of lost value. But you're right about the interior quality and that extends to the outside through the door handles. Absolute garbage. 

Interesting about build quality.  I have not "handled" a Tesla, although I have peered into the window of a couple.  I think they look nice, but I'm pretty conservative on styling.  The Taycan will have to grow on me, I don't much care for the Panamera.

I was reading an article that mentioned that Tesla was rather uniquely and enviably positioned as a pretty high-end car that is considerably cheaper than other luxury EVs and compares favorably to the econobox models that are less expensive.  Sounds like they may have some catching up to do, quality wise.

Although electronics and electric motors have fewer moving parts, as we've seen with other consumer electronics, they do have their failure modes and they come more rapidly than mechanical things in many instances.  And having to upgrade hardware to keep up with software requirements could become an issue.  Probably cheaper than a water pump,  but you never know.

Looking at how to order the Cullinan.  They have a black badge coming to Gold Coast dealership so I’ll look but probably worth waiting and going full custom.  
I really didn’t consider it until this damned place. I’ll see how the fully decked out back seat is (not the 3 seater I saw).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pepper brooks said:

At the moment it appears tesla may have the taycan beat on straight line performance, but not on track times.  I know, who in the heck would be taking these cars to a track anyway.

You know, I almost typed that exact same thing yesterday along the lines of I have never considered Tesla since they can't turn.  Then, I looked and it destroyed the Taycan at the ring which surprised the shit out of me.  I didn't research why/how in case there are other variables.  Was just pretty surprised.  

1 hour ago, Atxracer said:

You know, I almost typed that exact same thing yesterday along the lines of I have never considered Tesla since they can't turn.  Then, I looked and it destroyed the Taycan at the ring which surprised the shit out of me.  I didn't research why/how in case there are other variables.  Was just pretty surprised.  

that's because they used a stripped out car geared toward beating it at the ring, and not a production car like Porsche used.  NIssan did the same thing with the GTR against a 911TT back in the day.  

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a29086205/modified-tesla-model-s-beats-porsche-taycan-nurburgring/

Edited by pepper brooks

16 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

that's because they used a stripped out car geared toward beating it at the ring, and not a production car like Porsche used.  NIssan did the same thing with the GTR against a 911TT back in the day.  

Ahh, that makes more sense. 

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Isn't there a 911 turbo and GTR that are faster than the S, under 200k, super cars, daily driven by lots? (And don't look like a Mazda)

2 hours ago, Atxracer said:

different days/drivers blah blah, this is good company to keep:

https://fastestlaps.com/tests/oht7bglju1dp

Teslas interiors and fit and finish are pretty nice.  In part due to the fact that there's nothing there that can be criticized.  There's no knobs, buttons, switch gears, levers, visible vents, dials or gauges. 

The 3 has a long slab of dash that's far away from the driver, a big strip of open-pore wood (so, so, so much better as trim material than shiny fake wood, chrome, carbon fiber, gloss black, and other material-du-jour), and that's about it.  Everything else is programmed the tablet.

I'd prefer a few fixed physical controls on grounds of UX and ergonomics, but otherwise it's a pleasant interior, and doesn't rattle or squeak.

The Porsche is clearly going to be better than the Model S in nearly every facet, but it also has a Porsche pricetag so....

3 hours ago, Bigpoppapump said:

Isn't there a 911 turbo and GTR that are faster than the S, under 200k, super cars, daily driven by lots? (And don't look like a Mazda)

but look like every porsche that's rolled off the line since 1948

i know this might as well be renamed the porsche fanatic thread, but do we really not acknowledge that porsche has the laziest designers on earth?

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, elfenix said:

i know this might as well be renamed the porsche fanatic thread, but do we really not acknowledge that porsche has the laziest designers on earth?

I know or think you're being a little tongue-in-cheek here, but I think it's kind of amusing how Porsche maintains design notes from 50-60 year old cars.  You could make a viable argument that they should have let those design notes die off about 40 years ago, though.

What does "real life conditions" mean?  It would stand to reason if something is faster on a track, then it would be faster in "real life conditions" too. 

But, maybe you are saying smoothly taking off from a stop light quickly and then slowing at a normal pace to a stop?  I can see that.  

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

There's only like 3 of them but they are loud enough for 100 men.

What does "real life conditions" mean?  It would stand to reason if something is faster on a track, then it would be faster in "real life conditions" too. 
But, maybe you are saying smoothly taking off from a stop light quickly and then slowing at a normal pace to a stop?  I can see that.  

My guess is 80-120 isn’t a real life acceleration situation nor are banked turns. Stuff life that. 0-60 and fairly straight is really all you get to do on a normal commute around town. I drove my S for two years before someone rear ended me and it was totaled and no one beat me off the line but we never or I should say I never kept it going after getting to 60.

Teslas interiors and fit and finish are pretty nice.  In part due to the fact that there's nothing there that can be criticized.  There's no knobs, buttons, switch gears, levers, visible vents, dials or gauges.   

The 3 has a long slab of dash that's far away from the driver, a big strip of open-pore wood (so, so, so much better as trim material than shiny fake wood, chrome, carbon fiber, gloss black, and other material-du-jour), and that's about it.  Everything else is programmed the tablet.

I'd prefer a few fixed physical controls on grounds of UX and ergonomics, but otherwise it's a pleasant interior, and doesn't rattle or squeak.

The Porsche is clearly going to be better than the Model S in nearly every facet, but it also has a Porsche pricetag so....

I don’t like the 3 layout (just me) but the S and the X are sleek and simple. That can look cheap but driving one doesn’t feel that way to me, it feels clean and uncluttered.

I’ve had problems with the handles on my first generation S but they were under warranty. My X is 2016 and I just took delivery so we’ll have to see. But in the two years I owned the 2013 S that’s all the problems I had. You use the app on your phone and schedule a fix and they come to your office and replace the handle. The service is incredible. And I found the car to be reliable 6 years into it.

And I’ve said this before but with only the touch screen the software updates can do just about anything to update the interface. That’s something I find appealing.

No gas station stops and routines make it an incredible experience and no doubt others coming on the scene will push the electric experience further.

9 hours ago, troph said:

I don’t like the 3 layout (just me) but the S and the X are sleek and simple. That can look cheap but driving one doesn’t feel that way to me, it feels clean and uncluttered.

I’ve had problems with the handles on my first generation S but they were under warranty. My X is 2016 and I just took delivery so we’ll have to see. But in the two years I owned the 2013 S that’s all the problems I had. You use the app on your phone and schedule a fix and they come to your office and replace the handle. The service is incredible. And I found the car to be reliable 6 years into it.

And I’ve said this before but with only the touch screen the software updates can do just about anything to update the interface. That’s something I find appealing.

No gas station stops and routines make it an incredible experience and no doubt others coming on the scene will push the electric experience further.

Did you have any reluctance buying the used X?  We're in the market and going back and forth between a new 3 or a used X and the guy at the Tesla store in the Domain said he'd recommend a new 3 any day because of the technology / battery improvements made between 16 and present day.  I'm ignorant on the subject so any insight is appreciated.  

Edited by Gale Snoats
typo

3 hours ago, Gale Snoats said:

Did you have any reluctance buying the used X?  We're in the market and going back and forth between a new 3 or a used X and the guy at the Tesla store in the Domain said he'd recommend a new 3 any day because of the technology / battery improvements made between 16 and present day.  I'm ignorant on the subject so any insight is appreciated.  

you must be new here.  your question is out of line.  this is the NEW car fanatic thread.  However, because I am the nicest gal around I send you a long rambling PM with an answer to your question and answers to questions you didn't know to ask.  next time, follow the rules and PM Derka.

Edited by troph
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Okie State said:

I like Porsche and could see myself owning one someday, but this thread has definitely gone off the rails with fanboyism more than once.

This is your complaint about "The New Car Fanatic Thread"? Great post. 

Hey everybody, settle down, the new car fanatic thread is not the place for new car fanaticism.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

This is your complaint about "The New Car Fanatic Thread"? Great post. 
Hey everybody, settle down, the new car fanatic thread is not the place for new car fanaticism.
I didn't bring it up, but it has been a recurring theme and at times it's annoying.

Also the title of the thread is fucking stupid. Can I complain about that? Do we all of a sudden have rules about what we are and aren't allowed to bitch about on Surly?

9 minutes ago, Bert Orange said:

Also,  new Porsche  new Porsche  new Porsche  new Porsche  new Porsche  new  Porsche screw it, you get the point Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche Porsche and Porsche. 

FIFY sorta.

Edited by troph

2 hours ago, troph said:

you must be new here.  your question is out of line.  this is the NEW car fanatic thread.  However, because I am the nicest gal around I send you a long rambling PM with an answer to your question and answers to questions you didn't know to ask.  next time, follow the rules and PM Derka.

okay fellas, you can now dig your panties out of your ass.  FIFY.

carry on with the new Porsche vs the new Tesla fanboi talk.

Edited by troph