The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

On 2/16/2020 at 6:31 AM, G650 said:

People make tractors fast all the time.

12.jpg

On 2/16/2020 at 8:26 AM, Atxracer said:

Hah, point taken. But, in the context, more meant ones that can turn. 

dude named ferruccio did once...and we see how that turned out.

On 2/16/2020 at 7:44 AM, Bert Orange said:

Wife’s failed experiment with the Range Rover (as expected) is over. Just put her in a GLS63. Have to say, I enjoy driving the hell out of that mommy wagon. It sounds mean as hell. 

your wife is not wrong.  fuck range rover.  absolutely awful awful shit.

Public thanks to Atxracer.  Traveling so been bit out of touch but his guy is as good as anyone in a race to see who can deliver fastest on the Taycan Turbo S.  Gonna go drive one to be sure but seems like a clear cut winnah.  This place has it all.  

Good luck on the Taycan. And if you need a beater I know there there’s a pretty clean low mileage Murci SV for $200K. You just have to figure out how to get it out of China.

In other news: pretty entertaining (if old) article on luxury straw buyers.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a21777248/how-i-bought-millions-of-dollars-worth-of-luxury-cars-and-got-blacklisted-by-jaguar-land-rover-mercedes-and-porsche/

Good luck on the Taycan. And if you need a beater I know there there’s a pretty clean low mileage Murci SV for $200K. You just have to figure out how to get it out of China.

In other news: pretty entertaining (if old) article on luxury straw buyers.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a21777248/how-i-bought-millions-of-dollars-worth-of-luxury-cars-and-got-blacklisted-by-jaguar-land-rover-mercedes-and-porsche/

Great article.

Loved the last line here, I might use it.

The manufacturers and their dealers have worked to design a foolproof system that will prevent you from buying a car to export to another country. Foolproof never works, though, as it underestimates the ingenuity of the fool.

• Like 1

For me it all depends on what someone wants to do with the car. My 1968 Riviera still has its original motor. I only have 60,000 miles on the car. But I am going to upgrade the original drums to disks and thinking about fuel injection.

I just want to feel safe while driving the car, and in the end, to me it is a car and needs to be driven.

That's heresy, IMO. Blasphemy most foul.

Get some other classic car with a less unique engine if you want to tart it up.

Turn a Catalina into a pseudo GTO, or a Skylark into a pseudo GS.  Hell, even a Cutlass or a Chevelle or something.

Don't fuck with a 389 six-pack.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Yea if it’s original got to keep it

I'm not going to go that far.  But it is a GTO with a 389 Six-Pack.  That's got to be a rare vehicle by now and a big part of its character is that six-bbl intake.  That particular car you don't fuck with.

If you want to make a 60s muscle car with modern accoutrement, fine.  Just don't start with a rare classic.

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It’s already not a six pack though if it’s got an efi conversion. 
the other thing is that if it is the original motor, selling that power train instead of keeping it is a head scratcher. 

I stopped where it said TriPower intake and Rochester carbs.  I dunno wtf that dude's talking about.

I'm not going to go that far.  But it is a GTO with a 389 Six-Pack.  That's got to be a rare vehicle by now and a big part of its character is that six-bbl intake.  That particular car you don't fuck with.
If you want to make a 60s muscle car with modern accoutrement, fine.  Just don't start with a rare classic.

I just meant in that car. If that’s the original motor you have to keep it.

It's their car, who gives a shit?    I had a neighbor with '68 Shelby GT350 numbers matching.  He wanted to actually drive the car, so he hired a red neck to put in modern EFI 350 (with more HP) and drove that around all the time.  Kept the numbers matching motor in storage so the next guy would have the option.  In my opinion it comes down to how you want to use the car...  Something to look at or something to use.

• Like 1

Just now, tbone_ said:

If you take the original 389 with 3 deuces out of a fucking 66 gto you have to keep it. You cannot split those up. There is no other answer. It’s an affront to all thing holy. I don’t care if they made 1,000,000 of them. They aren’t making any more.

Same can be said of the Pinto.  It's just metal, relax

Also Team Buick

3 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

What can I say. I like pontiacs and I like gtos.

Me too,  I love an old GTO. But we aren't talking about a 69 Judge here.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

Buy a fucking Mustang.

Yeah, it's the same thing. That's kind of the point.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, G650 said:

Me too,  I love an old GTO. But we aren't talking about a 69 Judge here.

Yeah, it's the same thing. That's kind of the point.

I mean, I just don't get people who buy 50 year old cars and then do a half-ass update for modern "driveability."  So now you have a fuel-injected V8, the rest of the running gear comparatively sucks.  If you want to gut it and build it from the frame up, do it with a less-rare car.

I might suggest also that a suspension/running gear update gets more bang for your buck.  As noted in this thread, not much wrong with a carbureted V8 from the 60s.

If you just want a retro-looking modern car, buy a late-model Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger.

Get the old car because you love the old car and are willing to deal with its idiosyncrasies.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I mean, I just don't get people who buy 50 year old cars and then do a half-ass update for modern "driveability."  So now you have a fuel-injected V8, the rest of the running gear comparatively sucks.  If you want to gut it and build it from the frame up, do it with a less-rare car.

If you just want a retro-looking modern car, buy a late-model Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger.

Get the old car because you love the old car and are willing to deal with its idiosyncrasies.

I like resto mods.  Old school style with modern performance.  I think the brakes/suspension/engine/stereo need to be done together.  But I'd buy an appropriate vehicle for that type of change over.

I put a V8 and disk brakes on my 72' Landcruiser and I'd do it again.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

I like resto mods.  Old school style with modern performance.  I think the brakes/suspension/engine/stereo need to be done together.  But I'd buy an appropriate vehicle for that type of change over.

I put a V8 and disk brakes on my 72' Landcruiser and I'd do it again.

Yeah I just edited my post to mention that the engine really should be a fairly low priority on a resto-mod.

And all of this retro-grouching kind of assumes that the 66 GTO referenced was fairly original, given that it still had the 389 6pack in fairly good condition.  Would be a different story if it was clapped out, which it might be.

Edited by TwiceHorn

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

If you want to gut it and build it from the frame up, do it with a less-rare car.

I mean, I don't know how many other ways it can be said, but in plain English there is literally nothing rare about this car.

As far as all the resto mod stuff, it's fun. Would I personally do what this dude is doing? No. But there's all kind of fun stuff you can do with old cars. It's cool to have all original stuff with associated quirks, and it's cool to mod them and see what happens. Modding cars is the whole basis for car culture anyway. If you aren't a hot rodder then just drive a Prius.

One of my long held wacky dreams is to make the ultimate sleeper and take a late 70s LTD, make it AWD with modern traction control and a super HO engine, and just go blow people's doors off at red lights. Which probably shows my age, because the ultimate sleeper now would be a mid 90s Buick Skylark or some shit, people would see the LTD and know something is up.

Edited by G650
I can't spell.
  • Like 2