The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Well it was inevitable I guess but my 8 year old Audi needs repairs that total more than half its value. Bunch of suspension work and leaking seals and gaskets. I love the car but not sure it’s smart to dump that kind of money into it when I’m sure other things will break for similar costs.

Car deals are getting good. Gotta decide what I want to do. Leaning towards 4Runner as Jr is getting to hunting/fishing age but I’ve read they suck as commuter cars.

I’ve found over the years that what I’ve read in reviews generally does not match my experience. Like every review said the Expedition was much better than the Tahoe last year. I drove both and liked the Tahoe better. So that’s what I bought.

There are a shitload of 4 Runners on the road. They can’t be that bad as commuters.

• Like 1

Well it was inevitable I guess but my 8 year old Audi needs repairs that total more than half its value. Bunch of suspension work and leaking seals and gaskets. I love the car but not sure it’s smart to dump that kind of money into it when I’m sure other things will break for similar costs.

Car deals are getting good. Gotta decide what I want to do. Leaning towards 4Runner as Jr is getting to hunting/fishing age but I’ve read they suck as commuter cars.
Compared to your Audi, a 4Runner will suck as a commuter. Why not another A6?

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

What's it's value?

I was referring more to the driving experience, not the mpg.  

Agreed. Some people take both into account though. Personally I value driving experience much more than mileage, but most are probably the opposite.

At $1 gasoline who gives a shit about mileage though!?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Okie State said:

At $1 gasoline who gives a shit about mileage though!?

Is it that fucking cheap down there.  Shit is still ~$1.80 around here as of yesterday when I had to go to the post office.  And that's regular, not premium.  Premium is still $2.40 or so.

Edited by Chewbacca

Is it that fucking cheap down there.  Shit is still ~$1.80 around here as of yesterday when I had to go to the post office.  And that's regular, not premium.  Premium is still $2.40 or so.
It's around $1 for regular at some places. Premium is still much more expensive though. Gone are the days of a 20-30 cent variance for premium.
  • Like 1

See the part about hunting and fishing.
See the part about Landcruisers and Lexus LXs. You don't have to buy them new. These fuckers run forever. I have a 2002 LC with 220k that i would drive cross country tomorrow. Am also looking for a 2015 LX to replace wife's QX80 once the lockdown lifts even though her Infiniti is a 2017.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Okie State said:
13 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

It's around $1 for regular at some places. Premium is still much more expensive though. Gone are the days of a 20-30 cent variance for premium.

1.95 premium yesterday  in liberty hill

Edited by mr.goodkat

See the part about Landcruisers and Lexus LXs. You don't have to buy them new. These fuckers run forever. I have a 2002 LC with 220k that i would drive cross country tomorrow. Am also looking for a 2015 LX to replace wife's QX80 once the lockdown lifts even though her Infiniti is a 2017.

Definitely a possibility

Definitely a possibility
Drive one. And the best part is that the LXs are cheaper than LCs even though they have more features and cost more new. ML stereo should be comparable to what you have in the Audi. And women like the air suspension that only the Lexis has because it makes it easier to get in the truck. Air suspension is also better for offroading since it gives you more clearance.

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Definitely a possibility

Drive one. And the best part is that the LXs are cheaper than LCs even though they have more features and cost more new. ML stereo should be comparable to what you have in the Audi. And women like the air suspension that only the Lexis has because it makes it easier to get in the truck. Air suspension is also better for offroading since it gives you more clearance.

Wow, you aint kidding.  Looks like a lot of the LXs have lower miles than LCs, too.  It's kinda crazy how many people really rack up the miles on SUVs, particularly the big ones.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 4/10/2020 at 3:47 PM, Buzzrock said:

2012 A6 3.0T?  I don't see where your totals could get that high, even on an aging car.  What does it need and who came up with the diagnosis?  Parts are cheap and if you're interested in keeping the car, just get an independent shop to do the work.   You're not missing out on much from a newer model anyway.

Near-nobody maintains their Lexotas to same standard over that time period-- that entire segment is bemoaned to do anything more than an oil change under the guise that Toyotas are designed to just gas-and-go, like the souless appliances they are.  You're still likely tasked to do a cooling system overhaul, replacement of key suspension bushings, shocks/struts, brakes, all the shit that was overlooked as a truck passes the 60K-mi mark.

2012 A6 3.0T?  I don't see where your totals could get that high, even on an aging car.  What does it need and who came up with the diagnosis?  Parts are cheap and if you're interested in keeping the car, just get an independent shop to do the work.   You're not missing out on much from a newer model anyway.
Near-nobody maintains their Lexotas to same standard over that time period-- that entire segment is bemoaned to do anything more than an oil change under the guise that Toyotas are designed to just gas-and-go, like the souless appliances they are.  You're still likely tasked to do a cooling system overhaul, replacement of key suspension bushings, shocks/struts, brakes, all the shit that was overlooked as a truck passes the 60K-mi mark.
People who can afford $100k vehicles tend to maintain them.

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
5 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

Read more  

People who can afford $100k vehicles tend to maintain them.

How about people who can’t afford them but buy them anyway?

• Like 1

Where are you finding cheap Audi parts?

I’m taking it to my independent mechanic for a 2nd opinion this week.

Got a Q3 loaner. Not a bad little grocery getter but the 2.0 motor sucks and the suspension is much firmer, like they are trying to convince people it’s a truck.

17 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
17 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:
How about people who can’t afford them but buy them anyway?

Most luxury cars have free/ reduced maintenance during the warranty period these days.

That was true for a while, not so much anymore.  BMW does three years, everyone else does one oil change or nothing.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Where are you finding cheap Audi parts?

All the good stuff is online.  There are some not-so-nice parts of our cars that are fairly expensive and warrant replacement after 60K, like the active motor mounts.  Brake rotors, shocks/struts, control arm bushings and stretch bolts are reasonably priced-- even the DSG fluid change isn't so bad considering the engineering involved in those parts.

Edited by Gravy Train

Replaced motor and trans mounts already.

My local guy is going to do all the aforementioned work for $3K. Sucks but way better than what Audi quoted, and he says he doesn’t see any more big stuff on the horizon. I love the car and the only thing I’d add would be Apple Car Play (I don’t think anyone has figured out how to retrofit the Audi MMI).

• Like 1

My cars have never been in better shape due to the stay-at-home order.  In the last 2 weeks I've done out of complete boredom:

-4 oil changes

-2 air filter changes

-2 cabin filter changes

-1 trans fluid drain/refill

-1 coil pack & plug change

-1 brake pad & rotor change

-Replaced a coolant level sensor

All this plus it's now socially acceptable to start drinking at 11am on a Wednesday?  I think I could do this forever.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ha! 

I got high in the bathroom this afternoon (hiding from the Doomlet...) and while on the toilet, I read an infographic citing the Typhoon as one of the contributing factors to the prevalence of SUVs today. Decided that maybe our family might need one.

Looks like ~$18k gets you the nicest one (only 36k miles) on BaT over the past two years. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-gmc-typhoon-7/

I'm not as baked right now and my interest has waned. 

A little bit. 

Screenshot_20200420-202451_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Not really a high school dream car, but I recall a kid at my HS having an XJS...with a Chevy 350. 

Buddy of mine had a Brit stepfather who imported RHD XJS from across the pond.  I asked him what he did at toll booths, “hook shot” was his answer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Ha! 

I got high in the bathroom this afternoon (hiding from the Doomlet...) and while on the toilet, I read an infographic citing the Typhoon as one of the contributing factors to the prevalence of SUVs today. Decided that maybe our family might need one.

Looks like ~$18k gets you the nicest one (only 36k miles) on BaT over the past two years. 

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1993-gmc-typhoon-7/

I'm not as baked right now and my interest has waned. 

A little bit. 

Screenshot_20200420-202451_Chrome.jpg

do it jewish GIF

I was lucky enough to get a ride in a sea foam green typhoon back in the day. Think I had a chubby.