The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

59 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

If you broke it down into strictly model families only, it would be:

Mercedes - 24 (including hybrids, but counting the coupe and convertible models separately)

Toyota - 21 (including hybrids, but counting the Prius, Prius c, Prius v, and Prime as separate models) 

Porsche - 8 (Boxster, Cayman, Carrera, Carrera Cabriolet, Carrera Targa, Panamera, Panamera Sport Turismo, Macan, Cayenne)

Yeah personally I think this is a better route to take.  Click on the manufacturer website and see how many models show up.  Something like that.

A friend of mine used to work for the guy that owns this collection, you can go check them out at the Austin Rock and Roll Car Museum. I think they're only open to the public every 1st and 3rd Saturday each month.

Forgive me for providing pics I took with a potato years ago.

qxpbBBCl.jpg

2HiipDWl.jpg

LpxwJrfl.jpg

WP0A4xzl.jpg

lNJhx9Il.jpg

hplSaMrl.jpg

DkqRSyZl.jpg

i7Xe4z6l.jpg

6T0gvCRl.jpg

D3OZtIbl.jpg

SZv451Rl.jpg

25IOrzbl.jpg

e0YYtwGl.jpg

10 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

All of the approved * tires here are run-flats.  Me no want runflats.  Or theyre the outdated Michelin PSS.  

Have there been actual warranty claims denied for running correctly sized tires that weren't 'approved'? Not sure how they could justify that.

21 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Have there been actual warranty claims denied for running correctly sized tires that weren't 'approved'? Not sure how they could justify that.

1 guy has been getting dicked around over his transfer case damage, and that was one of the dealerships excuse.  theres a 30 page long debate about it. 

because supposedly even if tires are marked similar size, they dont roll out to the same diameter.  and then, whether its static size that matters, or dynamic size because under load and at different inflation pressures, bench/roller tested (authorities do it at 60kph), it measures out more differently.  

all of which is supposed to be moot since, frankly, tires wear different, so they'll present different sizes all the time in the real world.

theres also a culture of compliance here.  all mods must be registered with technical and governmental authorities.  mine comes with a certificate of conformance that lists that it has an aftermarket chin spoiler that is TÜV approved, which is stamped by the city office, and lists its clearance height, etc etc.  also lists the permissible tire sizes on the car, which matters to police and insurance.  

so thats just the first layer ... imagine the 2nd layer which is conformance to manufacturer in case of warranties and etc

15 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

1 guy has been getting dicked around over his transfer case damage, and that was one of the dealerships excuse.  theres a 30 page long debate about it. 

because supposedly even if tires are marked similar size, they dont roll out to the same diameter.  and then, whether its static size that matters, or dynamic size because under load and at different inflation pressures, bench/roller tested (authorities do it at 60kph), it measures out more differently.  

all of which is supposed to be moot since, frankly, tires wear different, so they'll present different sizes all the time in the real world.

theres also a culture of compliance here.  all mods must be registered with technical and governmental authorities.  mine comes with a certificate of conformance that lists that it has an aftermarket chin spoiler that is TÜV approved, which is stamped by the city office, and lists its clearance height, etc etc.  also lists the permissible tire sizes on the car, which matters to police and insurance.  

so thats just the first layer ... imagine the 2nd layer which is conformance to manufacturer in case of warranties and etc

giphy.gif

Yeah, that sounds like some bullshit to me. A drivetrain that is dependent on tires being within exact specifications? I get why they need to be the same on all four corners, but not sure I'm following all the rest. Shit, half the drivers on the road don't even keep them inflated to spec.

Is this in Germany I guess? Not sure any of that would hold up in court here if they actually denied a warranty claim.

46 minutes ago, Goofyboy said:

Wife has an X6 with the M wheels. We just run the run flats, since there is no spare. We stick with the same tires that came on it, since the other tires cost about the same.

Do what?

All of my X5s have had a spare.

19 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

I thought the reason BMW loves run fats is because they don't equip spares.  Only mobility kits i.e. inflator

Well, I drove an X5 200 miles on a donut before, so I'm glad mine had a spare.

My 135i came with run flats, but changed to regular tires when they wore out last year. The ride comfort is night and day difference. It's so nice to not feel like you shattered your spine any time you hit a bump.

I just keep a can of slime sealant and portable air compressor in the trunk. Have AAA if it is really bad.

9 hours ago, Okie State said:

Can't say that I have. I did get a flat in the middle of nowhere New Mexico and drove all the way back to Houston on my full-size spare. I always get a full-size spare if it's available.

I wouldnt recommend it. Having blown out a regular tire tire at 80 as well, I can tell you regular tires are fucking terrible compared to run flats.

4 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

I recommend not blowing out tires.

This would be my opinion as well. Now you could get Goodyear on board and the junk man that spread car parts all over I-95 wiping out half a dozen other cars we would be in good shape.

Just now, Okie State said:
1 hour ago, G650 said:
I wouldnt recommend it. Having blown out a regular tire tire at 80 as well, I can tell you regular tires are fucking terrible compared to run flats.

Wouldn't recommend which part? Having a full-size spare? Gonna have to disagree there.

Lol. I wouldn't recommend putting a softball sized hole in your rim man.

I'm 100% pro full size spare. Like I said, I drove an X5 from Washington D.C. to Virginia Beach on the space saver spare before. Took me like 6 hours.

I'm 100% pro full size spare. Like I said, I drove an X5 from Washington D.C. to Virginia Beach on the space saver spare before. Took me like 6 hours.
Ha, yeah we agree there. That would be shitty.

5 minutes ago, Okie State said:
6 minutes ago, G650 said:

Ha, yeah we agree there. That would be shitty.

I think is was a manual transmission without the bellhousing.

RvZW7zLl.jpg

Edited by G650

Worst I've got in a tire is a piece of angle iron. It went from full to flat in a few seconds, but I was pulling into a neighborhood so no big deal.

My wife managed to run over a wrench that went straight through her tire. Again though, it was around town so not at high speed. Could have been bad though.

The Goodyear I lost was an MT/R that just cut  loose on it's own. I guess a belt broke in it, and the tire just shredded itself. The rim was a Bridgestone Dueler run flat that literally was one fucking day old. It didn't even puncture the tire, but exploded the rim. I also had a rebar tail go through the sidewall of 38" Super Swamper SX, but I was able to patch it since they have kevlar in them.

Honestly, car tires are death traps by and large. Anyone who isn't running run flats is straight up regarded. They are a top three safety feature of all time, up there with the seat belt.

Truck tires are built so robustly that they effectively are all run flat, and a lot of performance tires are too. The Pilot SS has Twaron fibers which will keep the carcass intact. Actually driving somewhere on run flats isn't the point, it's getting the car to a stop from high speed under control.

Edited by G650
I can't spell.

how many deaths or serious injuries or even straight up collisions have been caused by punctures - sudden or not?  ive been in more automotive accidents than ive had punctures (maybe once? none?)...  and im not really hearing stories about puncture-induced deaths. 

except the odd person changing tire on the side of the road and getting creamed by a passing car.

[incidence rate * severity] doesnt really warrant RF or put it anywhere near the level of the seat belt.

i mean... if it did, they'd already have mandated it as they did airbags, isofix, ABS, dot tire labeling, etc etc

Edited by 52-80

43 minutes ago, G650 said:

The Goodyear I lost was an MT/R that just cut  loose on it's own. I guess a belt broke in it, and the tire just shredded itself. The rim was a Bridgestone Dueler run flat that literally was one fucking day old. It didn't even puncture the tire, but exploded the rim. I also had a rebar tail go through the sidewall of 38" Super Swamper SX, but I was able to patch it since they have kevlar in them.

Honestly, car tires are death traps by and large. Anyone who isn't running run flats is straight up regarded. They are a top three safety feature of all time, up there with the seat belt.

Truck tires are built so robustly that they effectively are all run flat, and a lot of performance tires are too. The Pilot SS has Twaron fibers which will keep the carcass intact. Actually driving somewhere on run flats isn't the point, it's getting the car to a stop from high speed under control.

Do you even airless tire bro?

Airless-Tires.jpg

14 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

[incidence rate * severity] doesnt really warrant RF or put it anywhere near the level of the seat belt.

Yeah, it does actually. You are underselling the severity multiplier by like infinity billion.

There's a reason why Firestone, Goodyear et al. are paying out insane amounts for there defective tires, when one cuts loose at speed it's a catastrophic incident. We aren't talking about punctures, we are talking about total failure, which is what happens to even non defective tires that will happily roll for 10s of thousands of miles on their own. The run flat carcasses keep integrity. You don't even have to call them run flats if you don't want, like a I said most race and performance tires are built this way. The Michelin Pilot SS comes on Ferraris and Porches and is built to be contained, and you be pretty hard pressed to find a better performing tire. Offroad tires are like this too, with kevlar belting and tons of plys. It's you average passenger car tires which suck.

Again, it's not about driving them flat, it's about bringing a vehicle to a stop from 80-90 mph without flipping, crossing a lane, or hitting a tree.

I dunno. While bad tires are just that (Goodyear G159, Firestone ATX/Wilderness AT on the Explorers), regular tire fail rate seems to be really low, especially from the all the big name manufacturers.

My evidence is anecdotal though, I admit. I have never owned run flats, but mounting them can be a pain (I know this is not our concern as consumers), and the ride is definitely not as compliant on a car.

I have only had one tire straight up fail on me, and I think it was likely the result from a large puncture.

32 minutes ago, G650 said:

Yeah, it does actually. You are underselling the severity multiplier by like infinity billion.

There's a reason why Firestone, Goodyear et al. are paying out insane amounts for there defective tires, when one cuts loose at speed it's a catastrophic incident. We aren't talking about punctures, we are talking about total failure, which is what happens to even non defective tires that will happily roll for 10s of thousands of miles on their own. The run flat carcasses keep integrity. You don't even have to call them run flats if you don't want, like a I said most race and performance tires are built this way. The Michelin Pilot SS comes on Ferraris and Porches and is built to be contained, and you be pretty hard pressed to find a better performing tire. Offroad tires are like this too, with kevlar belting and tons of plys. It's you average passenger car tires which suck.

Again, it's not about driving them flat, it's about bringing a vehicle to a stop from 80-90 mph without flipping, crossing a lane, or hitting a tree.

The Goodstone issues of yesteryears has not to do with RFT.  It was a large failure in engineering and/or manufacturing that caused the catastrophic de-treading.

Fireyear could just as well have sloppily made an RFT that self destructed on the road and it wouldve killed folks as well.

The RFT as it is offered today, offers driveability in case of punctures.  It does this with extra structural parts that adds weights at the expense of suppleness, comfort, and performance.  I dont think it assures integrity in case you run over a honeybadger or a landmine.

Porsche factory specs are N-labeled tires, and AFAIK no Porsches have ever been stocked with runflats.  So its not an upmarket/highperformance thing either.  They are by and large a BMW thing.  

Edited by 52-80

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

The Goodstone issues of yesteryears has not to do with RFT.  It was a large failure in engineering and/or manufacturing that caused the catastrophic de-treading.

Fireyear could just as well have sloppily made an RFT that self destructed on the road and it wouldve killed folks as well.

The RFT as it is offered today, offers driveability in case of punctures.  It does this with extra structural parts that adds weights at the expense of suppleness, comfort, and performance.  I dont think it assures integrity in case you run over a honeybadger or a landmine.

Porsche factory specs are N-labeled tires, and AFAIK no Porsches have ever been stocked with runflats.  So its not an upmarket/highperformance thing either.  They are by and large a BMW thing.  

I didn't say they had anything to do with run flat, I'm saying when it goes wrong, it goes really wrong. It's binary operation.

The N label Porsche tires are run flat is what I'm telling you. They way the tires are constructed means you can drive them essentially for a day with no air in them and the carcass won't come apart. And yes, they do offer protection from land mine type impact as I can attest to. You are getting hung up on the run flat label and/or suckered by the tires companies marketing and not listening to what I'm saying.

tl;dr There's a big regulatory hole in tires, and you should not buy ones that don't maintain integrity with instant air loss at high speed. A lot of the ones you consider safe are not.