The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Am I alone on being very impressed by the aesthetics of the Kia Stinger? Have caught myself maneuvering to see the badge on the trunk to figure out wtf it is a couple times. No idea if they’re worth a shit generally but they nailed the body style IMO.
They look nice and seem to drive well. The biggest drawback is the Kia dealer experience.

16 minutes ago, bluto said:

Am I alone on being very impressed by the aesthetics of the Kia Stinger? Have caught myself maneuvering to see the badge on the trunk to figure out wtf it is a couple times. No idea if they’re worth a shit generally but they nailed the body style IMO.

What do you think of the Genesii?

34 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
49 minutes ago, bluto said:

They look nice and seem to drive well. The biggest drawback is the Kia dealer experience.

I assume the interior is still made from milk jug plastics like all kias?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluto said:

personal opinion but i prefer the more conservative/handsome sister car Hyundai G70

• Like 1

What do you think of the Genesii?

Actually had a gen coupe 3.8 their second year out and really enjoyed driving it, never had any major issues with it.

And generally agree with the Kia interiors/brand overall. I’ll say I thought the optima from a few yrs ago looked really good too.

Note the guy who led design of most of the attractive Hyundai/Kia/Genesis left the building not long ago. The article mentions some of the other vehicles he played large parts in; it's a hell of a list, including Diablo/Gallardo/Murcielago, Audi TT, Bentley Flying Spur. He's a modern legend in car design.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/04/29/hyundai-kia-genesis-designer-luc-donckerwolke-resigns/

• Like 1

Cross-post from the Stupid Wives thread, but she refuses to accept anything other than we're in the market for a Range Rover Sport...probably CPO since I have yet to attain Surly 1% status, but still relatively new.  This will be my first venture into the foreign luxury segment, and "terrified" is a gross understatement.  I don't know much beyond the fact that they're expensive and devoid of any published safety data; anecdotal tales of absurd maintenance costs and shit reliability concern me.  Anyone have some first-hand knowledge they can drop?  On a scale of one to South Austin's mom, how fucked am I?

2 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

Cross-post from the Stupid Wives thread, but she refuses to accept anything other than we're in the market for a Range Rover Sport...probably CPO since I have yet to attain Surly 1% status, but still relatively new.  This will be my first venture into the foreign luxury segment, and "terrified" is a gross understatement.  I don't know much beyond the fact that they're expensive and devoid of any published safety data; anecdotal tales of absurd maintenance costs and shit reliability concern me.  Anyone have some first-hand knowledge they can drop?  On a scale of one to South Austin's mom, how fucked am I?

@Brew has owned a couple IIRC.  There have been some negative stories on this thread, I believe.

I think it's critical that you go for CPO to mitigate problems.

• Like 1

Pretty fucked if you’re concerned about all of those things and looking at a Range Rover Sport. Get a damn good warranty, and good luck.
  • Like 3

I don’t know anyone that has had any significant issues out of the newer generation RR Sports. There are things you learn to live with which are fondly called quirks by those that love Rovers and reliability issues by those that don’t. For instance in our last one the entire dash electronics system would reset itself periodically driving down the road. We had them look at it during an oil change and they couldn’t find anything. That was the only issue we ever had and we would have bought another one if we could have found another new diesel. We also really needed more space with two teenagers. She’ll buy another one when the oldest starts driving next year I’m sure.

The biggest cons are the ridiculously expensive parts as well as the massive resale hit they take. They keep a limited supply of parts in the US. She hit a deer and it ended up taking 3+ weeks to get a new wiring harness shipped over. You might wonder why hitting a deer would require a wiring harness. That would be because the main electronics are behind the front bumper outside of the frame rails. What looked like just a simple bumper replacement turned into an $18k repair because of the wiring harness, a $2k replacement head light, multiple tows between the dealership and the shop to get the electronics fixed in stages, etc. 

I’ve driven most of the higher end SUV’s at this point and I prefer the RRS over the other ones. However, I’m an LR guy. I’m looking at used 90’s and 110’s now to keep at the beach house during the summer. As far as cost, her new Expedition wasn’t much cheaper than a new RRS, so it’s all relative. They aren’t some high end status symbol they may have once been, everything is expensive now.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Dumb question, but what happens during a lease if you are deprived of the use of the vehicle by it being a piece of shit?

We leased the last one primarily because I wanted the diesel and was concerned about resale/issues with it. It worked out because their diesels did not go over well here and resale was garbage. I loved the diesel though.

Outside of oil changes and brake pads, it never was in the shop other than after she hit the aforementioned deer. We had to carry it by once for a reprogram of the DEF system right after we bought it which took an hour at most.

My last 2 F150’s have both had oil pan leaks. Additionally, the ‘15 disintegrated a front axle when the plastic gearing sheared and had to have the power sunroof replaced. The ‘17 broke a front automatic hub (again a plastic vacuum attachment issue), has another separate oil leak, one of the side cameras popped out, and both were/will be traded by 60k miles. I’ll still buy the ‘21 when it comes out.

Piece of shit is relative.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brew said:

The next Toyota I own/drive will be the first. I’ll take the Rover all day, every day, and twice on Sunday.

Hey man, it's totally whatever you want to drive, I'm not debating what you should get. But there is no comparison between an FJ60 and a Rover. The FJ is one of the top 5 offroad vehicles ever created and the other runs on a good day.

I can guarantee I'm the biggest Anglophile on the board by a factor of like 50 who's absolute ideal is being a country squire that shoots and walks around in tweed all day on a vast estate in Surrey, so I get the RR thing. But there is no dispute between those two vehicles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brew said:

We leased the last one primarily because I wanted the diesel and was concerned about resale/issues with it. It worked out because their diesels did not go over well here and resale was garbage. I loved the diesel though.

My better half would fill up with unleaded on her first trip to a gas station, so diesel is off the table anyway.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

Hey man, it's totally whatever you want to drive, I'm not debating what you should get. But there is no comparison between an FJ60 and a Rover. The FJ is one of the top 5 offroad vehicles ever created and the other runs on a good day.

I can guarantee I'm the biggest Anglophile on the board by a factor of like 50 who's absolute ideal is being a country squire that shoots and walks around in tweed all day on a vast estate in Surrey, so I get the RR thing. But there is no dispute between those two vehicles.

Depends on your preference and need. It’s going to be a beach/fishing vehicle that’s not a Jeep like everyone else around here. If I was going hard core off-road, I would be finding me a late 70’s K-5 to build again. That’s my version of the perfect off road vehicle.

43 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Just make sure you go wheeling with at least one Toyota so you can get home.

I’ll ride in the tow truck. It will not be the first time. The last one was in style as it took a Cat Dozer to get us out.

6 hours ago, SuperSport said:

My wife has a friend with a RRS that had to have the engine replaced at 60k miles. She got it back right before quarantine after spending 3 months at the dealership.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Note the guy who led design of most of the attractive Hyundai/Kia/Genesis left the building not long ago. The article mentions some of the other vehicles he played large parts in; it's a hell of a list, including Diablo/Gallardo/Murcielago, Audi TT, Bentley Flying Spur. He's a modern legend in car design.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/04/29/hyundai-kia-genesis-designer-luc-donckerwolke-resigns/

Diablo and Murci.  Sexy fucking cars.  Wonder what size that check was right lure him over to Hyundai/Kia?

1 hour ago, royiv said:

My wife has a friend with a RRS that had to have the engine replaced at 60k miles. She got it back right before quarantine after spending 3 months at the dealership.

Not surprised. We looked at a newly available HST at Land Rover Dallas on Friday, previous owner blew the engine with about 1300 miles on the odometer. Ugh...

1 hour ago, royiv said:

I had to put a new tranny in a Land Rover at 42k.  Out of warranty because of age.

• Like 1

Neighbor brought home a new autobiography for the wife a few months ago.  Kept it maybe 3 months, then traded it off for a G-wagon.  Said it was a complete POS, but luxurious af.  They like the G-wagon so far, but said it feels slow for something with 575 hp.   That's my only experience with them, other than checking the driver of every white one, because it will be a hot blonde MILF about 95% of the time.  We were 3/3 on our street with hot blonde MILFs and white with gray accented RR's at one point.  I wouldnt touch one outside of warranty, but that is just me. 

• Like 2

Neighbor brought home a new autobiography for the wife a few months ago.  Kept it maybe 3 months, then traded it off for a G-wagon.  Said it was a complete POS, but luxurious af.  They like the G-wagon so far, but said it feels slow for something with 575 hp.   That's my only experience with them, other than checking the driver of every white one, because it will be a hot blonde MILF about 95% of the time.  We were 3/3 on our street with hot blonde MILFs and white with gray accented RR's at one point.  I wouldnt touch one outside of warranty, but that is just me. 

I need to look around more while I’m driving through the hood.

2 hours ago, Goofyboy said:

I need to look around more while I’m driving through the hood. emoji16.pngemoji16.png

Yeah we had it going on over here for a few years.  A few of them have moved to the new hood just south of us.  The remaining of those 3 drives a denali now.   If you like em between 35 and 45 we have a pretty solid street.  

The dude with the Gwagon and RR does something with vehicle import/export, specifically with Asian countries.  He and his wife always have really cool rides, they class it up for the rest of us.   Kind of an odd guy but knows cars anyhow. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah we had it going on over here for a few years.  A few of them have moved to the new hood just south of us.  The remaining of those 3 drives a denali now.   If you like em between 35 and 45 we have a pretty solid street.  

The dude with the Gwagon and RR does something with vehicle import/export, specifically with Asian countries.  He and his wife always have really cool rides, they class it up for the rest of us.   Kind of an odd guy but knows cars anyhow. 

Pics of gtfo

1 minute ago, smuggs said:

Buddy of mine had a valet driver run his G-wagon off the 3rd floor of a parking garage in New Orleans a few years ago. The guy lived. My buddy got another black one:

https://www.nola.com/news/traffic/article_64867d4a-8c88-58d9-bb04-cebc91a01133.html

5d15448178f59.image.jpg

5d154481a9e7b.image.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

How did the standard valet disclaimer of “we are not responsible for any damage to your vehicle” work out for your friend?

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Pics of gtfo

Will try sometime.  But I suppose you know exactly what they look like. Probably have it pictured in your mind right now.  Now add a 5 yo bratty fuck trophy in their backseat and the picture is complete.  I will say the one who lived next to us never had any trouble out of their RR, per the husband.  And they had it for several years before moving. 

• Like 1

One of my neighbors owns 4 dealerships, all about 3 miles away, one of them being Range Rover. Her reply when I asked her why she never drives a Range Rover - "because I want to get home every day".  Her daily is a Forerunner.

• Like 1