The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

20 minutes ago, otisdog said:

Yup. Dealerships are Jag, Rover, Caddy & Toyota.

My buddy is the GM of the local Porsche/Audi/Jag/Rover dealer. He mostly stuck to Audi and Porsche, though dabbled in Jag for a hot minute.

On May 26, 2020 at 12:15 PM, G650 said:

I can guarantee I'm the biggest Anglophile on the board by a factor of like 50 who's absolute ideal is being a country squire that shoots and walks around in tweed all day on a vast estate in Surrey, so I get the RR thing. But there is no dispute between those two vehicles.

I'll be honest, I had to look up several things in that post to figure out wtf you were saying. In hindsight, it does make perfect sense.  

• Like 1

On 5/4/2020 at 6:56 PM, Okie State said:
On 4/23/2020 at 11:11 PM, Sam Lin said:
All this Syclone talk and noone brings up the first gen F150 Lightning?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series#SVT_Lightning_(1993-1995;_1999-2004)
The 2 of them together laid the groundwork for the crazy high-powered SUVs and trucks we get today.

Seriously almost bought one of these fresh out of college. Went the boring route though.

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

Saw a white Lexus LFA today.  That's the first one of those I've ever seen.  It was at the Lexus dealer for service.  I asked my salesman if it was the only one in the state and he said it was one of 2 that he knew about.  The dealership owner has one of them and this guy (who also has a Veyron and whose house is for sale for $20 million) has this one.

Here's his house (and his Veyron in some of the pics).  

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/24503-Chris-Dr_Evergreen_CO_80439_M29229-22180?view=qv

Edited by Chewbacca

Did it get mentioned and I missed it or is everyone completely ignoring the biggest issue with the RRS? Those fucking idoits couldn't even find the center of the ass end to put the license plate. I want to blow everyone of those stupid fucking cars off the road for triggering my OCD. Fuck those stupid ass shit boxes.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Saw a white Lexus LFA today. 

At least one shows up regularly at AZ cars&coffee, and 3 showed up once. Still my favorite supercar.

And I absolutely love how far Lexus went outside their comfort zone for it, down to the incredibly badass "Pitch" ad:

And more Pitch ad (behind the scenes, making of):

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Saw a white Lexus LFA today.  That's the first one of those I've ever seen.  It was at the Lexus dealer for service.  I asked my salesman if it was the only one in the state and he said it was one of 2 that he knew about.  The dealership owner has one of them and this guy (who also has a Veyron and whose house is for sale for $20 million) has this one.

Here's his house (and his Veyron in some of the pics).  

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/24503-Chris-Dr_Evergreen_CO_80439_M29229-22180?view=qv

Not a bad garage collection

11fdd4f9c1257a971c019fa7ba5c6772l-b20835

11fdd4f9c1257a971c019fa7ba5c6772l-b28590

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, davidg said:

Not a bad garage collection

11fdd4f9c1257a971c019fa7ba5c6772l-b20835

11fdd4f9c1257a971c019fa7ba5c6772l-b28590

Yeah, not bad at all.  Although who in the hell needs 50k square feet on 75 acres is beyond me.  I've seen the Veyron a couple times in valet parking at the Pepsi Center.  He has a suite there for Nuggets and Avs games.  Inherited wealth must be nice.

On 5/26/2020 at 10:52 AM, SuperSport said:

Cross-post from the Stupid Wives thread, but she refuses to accept anything other than we're in the market for a Range Rover Sport...probably CPO since I have yet to attain Surly 1% status, but still relatively new.  This will be my first venture into the foreign luxury segment, and "terrified" is a gross understatement.  I don't know much beyond the fact that they're expensive and devoid of any published safety data; anecdotal tales of absurd maintenance costs and shit reliability concern me.  Anyone have some first-hand knowledge they can drop?  On a scale of one to South Austin's mom, how fucked am I?

just divorce her.  i served four years in range rover prison.  never fucking again.  ever.  i mean, ever.  fuck that dealership, fuck the worst service that has ever existed, and fuck that piece of shit car.  what a fucking idiot i was.  you will be next.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, sidis said:

just divorce her.  i served four years in range rover prison.  never fucking again.  ever.  i mean, ever.  fuck that dealership, fuck the worst service that has ever existed, and fuck that piece of shit car.  what a fucking idiot i was.  you will be next.

This guy pretty much summed it up.  I had the same experience with a RR and wife with a RRS.  I am pretty positive mine spent more time in the shop than I actually had it. Finally got it back from its last 6 week stint at the dealer and sold it.  I love the way they look. But, they are total pieces of shits on 4 wheels that are barely attached.  

• Like 1

RR talk not going away. I’m curious on the years being mentioned. The ‘16 had no issues, the people I know in newer ones have no major issues, the 2 I know with Velars have no major issues, etc. Also, outside of Audi the RR dealership was the best one we have dealt with and it’s not like they ever had a pile of vehicles sitting in the shop.

17 hours ago, Brew said:

RR talk not going away. I’m curious on the years being mentioned. The ‘16 had no issues, the people I know in newer ones have no major issues, the 2 I know with Velars have no major issues, etc. Also, outside of Audi the RR dealership was the best one we have dealt with and it’s not like they ever had a pile of vehicles sitting in the shop.

2016.  as i have said many times, the car ran okay-ish.  it was just an under-powered and overpriced piece of indian-owned, liverpool shit that was in no way fun to drive and is no longer the company that made the defender, but one that is intended to be a status symbol for white women.  but i will admit that the constant mechanical issues weren't a big deal for me though the constant electronic gremlins were a constant eye-rolling hassle.  however, dealing with the austin dealership was hell on earth.  those guys were the most useless fucks i have ever watched do nothing.  imagine if you got the 10 dumbest frat guys you ever knew in your life and put them in a room together every day for the 2 or 3 hours a day that they actually worked, and then make them even dumber.  three quick, true stories from the few years i owned an rr.  and these are not hustler, i never thought it could happen to me bullshit, but 100% true.

1) saw my annual maintenance was coming up in about a month and from previous experience, knew i needed to call in to make an appt waaay ahead of time.  so i call in, the earliest they can get me in with a loaner is in 10 weeks (lol).  so whatever, schedule it.  when i go in, just point out that the washer fluid light came on that morning so could they just add a little when they were done.  my car was in the shop (and me with a p.o.s. loaner) for SIX fucking weeks for routine annual maintenance.  around week 3, i call them and they tell me it is taking longer since i had a "special request."  lulz.  finally pick it up six weeks later, fire up the vehicle to leave, fucking washer fluid light is on which is just more amusing to me than anything.  guy standing there just sheepishly asks me not to dock him his five star rating because the "shop guys screwed up." took me 30 seconds to do when i got home.

2) 2.5 years in (not a long time for this), battery just dies on the road and i have no power to the car.  jump it enough to get to the dealership and drop it.  takes them five days to evaluate the battery to see if it needs replacing under warranty.

3) then the one that set me on a rampage path with that shitty dealership...i dropped the car off for normal service and two weeks later, when it was ready, they called on a day that i had had sinus surgery and was way out of it.  so my wife went to pick up my car that afternoon.  she goes in, service advisor leaves for a little bit and comes back and tells her my car really badly needed an alignment service as well so they went ahead and did it and it cost $1,100.  for a fucking alignment.  my wife, who is not a complete tard when it comes to this but is by no means a grease monkey, is somewhat offput by it and questions them and they just kind of dismissively say that it is so expensive because it is a special thing they have to do since it is an rr.  anyway, she comes home and tells me this, i go apoplectic the next morning up there, they refund the money and all but admit it was fraud.

anyway, those are dealership issues, not necessarily with the cars but it is indicative of a corporate culture that is gross.  and that is coming from someone who is content dealing with bmw!  everyone's mileage certainly varies and a lot of that is the luck of the draw in terms of the type of people you associate with the vehicle...but the company just sucks ass and the luxury aspect of it that is supposed to come along with putting up with the hassles are nothing more than the same shit that's in every lexus, bmw, merc, audi, etc... in the world.  that's why i told hiim...just get a divorce, it will be less of a headache than dealing with that car for the couple of years before you realize what a huge mistake it was.

Edited by sidis
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Anyone else think the tailgate/rear of the new explorer is meh? Ford absolutely nailed every other angle on that car but it's like they ran out of money when they got to designing the tailgate.

Edited by elfenix

5 hours ago, sidis said:

2016.  as i have said many times, the car ran okay-ish.  it was just an under-powered and overpriced piece of indian-owned, liverpool shit that was in no way fun to drive and is no longer the company that made the defender, but one that is intended to be a status symbol for white women.  but i will admit that the constant mechanical issues weren't a big deal for me though the constant electronic gremlins were a constant eye-rolling hassle.  however, dealing with the austin dealership was hell on earth.  those guys were the most useless fucks i have ever watched do nothing.  imagine if you got the 10 dumbest frat guys you ever knew in your life and put them in a room together every day for the 2 or 3 hours a day that they actually worked, and then make them even dumber.  three quick, true stories from the few years i owned an rr.  and these are not hustler, i never thought it could happen to me bullshit, but 100% true.

1) saw my annual maintenance was coming up in about a month and from previous experience, knew i needed to call in to make an appt waaay ahead of time.  so i call in, the earliest they can get me in with a loaner is in 10 weeks (lol).  so whatever, schedule it.  when i go in, just point out that the washer fluid light came on that morning so could they just add a little when they were done.  my car was in the shop (and me with a p.o.s. loaner) for SIX fucking weeks for routine annual maintenance.  around week 3, i call them and they tell me it is taking longer since i had a "special request."  lulz.  finally pick it up six weeks later, fire up the vehicle to leave, fucking washer fluid light is on which is just more amusing to me than anything.  guy standing there just sheepishly asks me not to dock him his five star rating because the "shop guys screwed up." took me 30 seconds to do when i got home.

2) 2.5 years in (not a long time for this), battery just dies on the road and i have no power to the car.  jump it enough to get to the dealership and drop it.  takes them five days to evaluate the battery to see if it needs replacing under warranty.

3) then the one that set me on a rampage path with that shitty dealership...i dropped the car off for normal service and two weeks later, when it was ready, they called on a day that i had had sinus surgery and was way out of it.  so my wife went to pick up my car that afternoon.  she goes in, service advisor leaves for a little bit and comes back and tells her my car really badly needed an alignment service as well so they went ahead and did it and it cost $1,100.  for a fucking alignment.  my wife, who is not a complete tard when it comes to this but is by no means a grease monkey, is somewhat offput by it and questions them and they just kind of dismissively say that it is so expensive because it is a special thing they have to do since it is an rr.  anyway, she comes home and tells me this, i go apoplectic the next morning up there, they refund the money and all but admit it was fraud.

anyway, those are dealership issues, not necessarily with the cars but it is indicative of a corporate culture that is gross.  and that is coming from someone who is content dealing with bmw!  everyone's mileage certainly varies and a lot of that is the luck of the draw in terms of the type of people you associate with the vehicle...but the company just sucks ass and the luxury aspect of it that is supposed to come along with putting up with the hassles are nothing more than the same shit that's in every lexus, bmw, merc, audi, etc... in the world.  that's why i told hiim...just get a divorce, it will be less of a headache than dealing with that car for the couple of years before you realize what a huge mistake it was.

Holy shit.

I have been dealing mostly with Sewell for the last nearly 20 years, with an Acura and Chevy thrown in.  Sewell supposedly sets the standard for service, but I am a little skeptical.  The Chevy dealership (Reliable) matches Sewell Cadillac amenity for amenity and both were actually nicer than the Acura.  Sewell is actually a little worse about "upselling" rotations and cabin air filters and shit.

But, the biggest item I've had to deal with is a water pump.  Which Sewell did while I waited for 1.5 hours without an appointment in advance.

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 5/28/2020 at 9:42 PM, Brew said:

Yeah, that's been my experience as well.  I've had 2 and never had a problem with either one.

Lots of hate in this thread for several of the cars I've had in my life and never really had any issues with.

Never ventured in here before...so, is this like the politics thread for cars?

36 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Yeah, that's been my experience as well.  I've had 2 and never had a problem with either one.

Lots of hate in this thread for several of the cars I've had in my life and never really had any issues with.

Never ventured in here before...so, is this like the politics thread for cars?

Yep and it’s typically from non-owners. I’ve had 3 Audi’s and 2 RR’s with no real problems out of them. I’ve had significant issues with my GM and Ford trucks and have had the last 3 get towed in at least once. All vehicles were bought new (except one of the RR’s), traded around 60k so they are apples to apples comparisons, and all were since ‘09 model years.

Edited by Brew

I may have posted it before, but I read an interesting story about Land Rover.  They stuck with antiquated and underpowered engines with typically British bullshit for so long (until the late 80s or early 90s) because, ostensibly, there were so many Land Rovers in service in Africa and elsewhere where there were no mechanics of any kind that they didn't want to make it any harder to service an old LR than necessary.  So they preserved a ton of parts interchangeability and simplicity by just not changing anything significant in the drivetrain for like 30-40 years.  They viewed them more like tractors or farm implements than actual automobiles with performance standards.

And then all of a sudden they became a luxury vehicle and they accelerated change way too quickly and with typical British bullshit.

And so you have a toxic brew.  Then add in British manufacturing and QC and voila.  The British are actually good to great engineers, imo, but their manufacturing and execution leaves a bit to be desired.

Doesn't completely explain their problems today, but was a handy explanation why your 90s Discovery or Country was a flaming POS.

Edited by TwiceHorn

2 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Funny - I just had a nest of Saabs move in across the street. 

Haven't met them yet, but Saab people are always funny weirdos, so I'm looking forward to discovering their oddities. 

20200530_180339.jpg

friend got the saab trailblazer thinking it'd be a good deal and parts would be available.  after gm sold/killed off saab he couldn't get shit for service from anywhere. 

at the risk of getting interminable doug demuro videos in my feed, i kinda dig the styling of this

11 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Funny - I just had a nest of Saabs move in across the street. 

Haven't met them yet, but Saab people are always funny weirdos, so I'm looking forward to discovering their oddities. 

20200530_180339.jpg

i bet they swing and peg