The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

2 hours ago, G650 said:

For amateurs. To really correct paint you need a rotary.

True enough.  Like a lot of "polishing" operations, many involve removing a thin layer of material (paint).

Waxing a new(ish) car, especially a Tesla, need not and probably should not involve material removal, especially by a guy that never waxed a car before (a perfectionist paint nazi might argue that a Tesla needs paint correction worse than the average car, but still not something to be done lightly).

"Shine" in most cases means a smooth surface finish.  In metal (and paint) polishing, that means by abrading away peaks in the surface.  With waxing, you fill the valleys with the wax and "replace" the top surface of the paint with the wax.  It's a "cheat," and less permanent than polishing. The "surface prep" mentioned above means cleaning and polishing the paint surface with chemicals/abrasives before applying the wax.

In addition to shine, wax covers up and protects the  paint.  It keeps birdshit and stuff from eating into the paint and makes it easier to wash off.  That's a reason to do it beyond vanity.

23 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's got a lot of Jag/Aston from the windshield back, but that sharp front end is pure Ferrari.

I saw recently that Ferrari had a "product configuration" trademark on the 250 GTO, but it was ruled abandoned or invalid for lack of use, opening up the kit car market.

I think the back looks better than the Aston. I like the Aston but, I think this is sexy as hell.

• Like 1

Wow, didn't realize I hadn't been on this page since April.

I had a 91' Syclone that I purchased from a guy in Golthwaite. It had a Kenny Bell air-air intercooler, wastegate controller, splayed main caps, and forged guts. It made 687 whp at 30 psi on 130 octane. It was my daily driver. It was only a mid 11 sec. truck with a 4 speed auto. and would hit overdrive about 2/3rds of the way down the track. The reason I got rid of it was it would twist the front CV joints in half about every 2-3 weeks. I paid for the first ones $1800 (they were the same CV joints as the ones on the AWD Safari Vans), then they replaced 4-5 sets on warranty, if you can believe that. It was garage queen.

Also have owned three Broncos previously, soon I will be picking out my fourth.

As for 4Runners, Mrs. CHIEF's is sitting in storage at my shop with 250k miles on it. Besides maintenance, I have spent $660 on it in 17 years (new). Those things run forever, it would easily go another 150k. It's the V8 Sport that is AWD with lockers, and to this day, has averaged over 17 mpg.

CHIEF

• Like 1

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Peugeot S.A. together will become "Stellantis" after their merger is complete next year, the companies announced Wednesday.

This is a "major step" as the automakers move toward completing their 50-50 marriage outlined in a Dec. 18 agreement, according to a joint news release. Everything is expected to be finalized in early 2021.

The name, with roots in the Latin verb "stello," meaning "to brighten with stars," is inspired by "this new and ambitious alignment of storied automotive brands and strong company cultures that in coming together are creating one of the new leaders in the next era of mobility," the statement said.

Sounds like a boner pill

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

If you'd just describe to me an interior of black and brown leather with yellow accent trim I would have thought it'd be disgusting. But that interior looks freaking great.

The yellow comes from the body color.  There might be some more nauseating combos if that's the case.

Can't say I'm wild about leather in a vehicle with removable fenders.

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Then get the vinyl in the hose out setup. 

Looks like all of em have carpet.  It's all still very preliminary though.  

Strikes me as a bit of a joke to even offer leather.  Do Wranglers have leather as an option, even?  Seems like something Range Rover would do.

Edit:  yep, they do.  That's kind of an abomination.

Edit 2:  Even Land Rover doesn't offer leather in the Defender series.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Looks like all of em have carpet.  It's all still very preliminary though.  

Strikes me as a bit of a joke to even offer leather.  Do Wranglers have leather as an option, even?  Seems like something Range Rover would do.

Black diamond and badlands trims come with vinyl seats and rubber floors with drain plugs. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Black diamond and badlands trims come with vinyl seats and rubber floors with drain plugs. 

Fair enough. I was looking at the lower end for that, but I guess the way they do it it's more expensive that way.

You'd kind of think the stripper would come like an old C-10 with the lumpy vinyl/rubber shit on the floor.

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Fair enough. I was looking at the lower end for that, but I guess the way they do it it's more expensive that way.

You'd kind of think the stripper would come like an old C-10 with the lumpy vinyl/rubber shit on the floor.

They're going with the Porsche T pricing model - convince customers to pay extra for the rare versions that come with less stuff. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

Leather is really easy to keep clean and take care of, far easier and more durable than a cloth seat. Makes some sense even on an off-road vehicle.

True enough in a lot of ways. But there is something cringey to me about getting a leather seat muddy and wet, even when the leather is plasticized all to hell, as I am sure it is in these. I like the "marine vinyl" approach.

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

True enough in a lot of ways. But there is something cringey to me about getting a leather seat muddy and wet, even when the leather is plasticized all to hell, as I am sure it is in these. I like the "marine vinyl" approach.

I don't think that picture is real leather, it is the marine vinyl. Looks real enough. I'm gonna wait a couple of years to purchase, new models have all kinds of kinks, bugs, and gremlins when they first come out. Not to mention the desirable models will probably sell for $5k over sticker.

CHIEF

My wife casually floated the idea of trading in her fully loaded expedition for a new vehicle. I told her it has 60k miles, brand new tires and is paid off so there is zero chance she is getting another new vehicle. We are taking that thing as far as we can before it becomes a money sink.

Long story short, I think we are buying a Bronco.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/14/2020 at 9:17 AM, Mdhorn said:

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/2021-ford-bronco-trim-breakdown-120000796.html

18118c35a44e6ccc15b8983fcdf9dd5b

The party starts right here at $29,995. It’s the most basic Bronco you can buy, which means it’s also a great trim level if you intend on highly customizing. It comes with the 2.3-liter turbocharged four-cylinder and manual transmission (six-speed plus a crawler gear). You get four-wheel drive, 16-inch steel wheels, LED headlights, cloth seats, carpeted flooring and the eight-inch touchscreen.

spacer.png

• Like 2

On 7/16/2020 at 11:28 AM, CHIEF said:

I don't think that picture is real leather, it is the marine vinyl. Looks real enough. I'm gonna wait a couple of years to purchase, new models have all kinds of kinks, bugs, and gremlins when they first come out. Not to mention the desirable models will probably sell for $5k over sticker.

CHIEF

I want a two door base model. I'm gonna wait a production year at least, and or get one used.

3 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:
I saw an X6M the other day.  Great sounding engine, I assume it was a V8.  But such a weird monstrosity of a vehicle.

Friend of mine has one. It has a monster of a motor. TT V8. Gets shit mileage, though. He gets around 10-12 mpg.

When you are up next to it, you notice how high it is and how huge the wheels are.  I assume it's a fairly similar chassis to an X5, but it seems a whole lot bigger/more imposing.

I saw a 750 in that concrete gray, which I like but is an unusual choice for a luxobarge and it looked downright svelte and petite in comparison.

44 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I saw an X6M the other day.  Great sounding engine, I assume it was a V8.  But such a weird monstrosity of a vehicle.

Same here. I almost laughed out loud at it, but the one I saw was parked so it didn't have the noise in its favor. But the ass end looks like part of Professor Frink's car. Or Johnny Cash's Cadillac. Serious "25 directly copied design cues" mid-00s Hyundai energy...

It strikes me as an answer to a question that nobody asked, even moreso than the other roidbugs in its class. 

And I agree about puddle lights. If you can't figure that shit out with a light (e.g., is that a puddle or dry ground?), then you probably shouldn't be driving. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

When you are up next to it, you notice how high it is and how huge the wheels are.  I assume it's a fairly similar chassis to an X5, but it seems a whole lot bigger/more imposing.
I saw a 750 in that concrete gray, which I like but is an unusual choice for a luxobarge and it looked downright svelte and petite in comparison.
Yeah, i think it has 21s? Maybe 22s.

10 minutes ago, Okie State said:

The AMG GLE Coupes are just as bad and I see them all the damn time.

I only see the little ones and they aren't that horrible.  The GLA?  It almost makes sense.  Almost.

I love that "the answer to a question no one was asking."

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

4.4 liter twin turbo V8, same as my car.

Recently I had the little tip knocked off the rear windshield wiper fluid nozzle. Shit shoots straight back now, i may leave it like that to nail people who walk behind me lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I only see the little ones and they aren't that horrible.  The GLA?  It almost makes sense.  Almost.

I love that "the answer to a question no one was asking."

GLC coupe is the only of those that doesn't look like some roided up gym bro.  GLA coupe doesn't (or didn't, might have  been updated) have similar styling and is more hatchbacky.