The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

I drove an '87 C4 in the snow once. It was hairy as fuck.
Kid i went to HS with had a dad who was really into cars and kids could drive any of them he wanted. On this particular day, it was the ZR1. Snow storm closed school at lunch. I don't know how he made it home. I was behind him leaving and he barely made it out of the parking lot.
  • Hook 'Em 1

this thing is fucking insane.  simultaneously the last and probably the most superlative analog car ever?

also Gordon drives a fucking Alpine A110 as every day car, and aspects of it he used as a Benchmark for this one.  That's as good praise as you can ever have

I don't think it's as aesthetically pleasing as e.g. a Carrera GT.  But after that interview I don't see how you can't just fall in worship with that car. 

There's another video where he rails against 20, 21, 22" wheels.

The T50 has 19" in front and 20" in rear.

Phrases I heard him say:

“There’s no rubbish on this car. Everything on this car does something.”

“22 inch wheels are nonsense.”

“There’s no touchscreens anywhere. I absolutely hate them.”

“Nothing I hate more than these melted fruit (turn signals); just because people can they have indicators that are alive and move and have all sorts of droopy shapes which in 5 years time will look awful. These just need to be functional and pretty, and they were never going to be anything but round.”

There’s also no belt driven accessories. Cool as hell.

The motor is outrageous. The oil scavenging, the directly connected  starter/generator, the stroke, the revs. It’s fantastical. 

did not think I’d watch an hour of two dry brits standing next to a parked car and talking about it, but I was enthralled. 

also of note he said he drives his alpine in automatic because with paddles what’s the point. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

also of note he said he drives his alpine in automatic because with paddles what’s the point. 

I agree with him here.  I find myself almost never using the paddles unless I'm driving in the mountains.  There's no reason to.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

The motor is outrageous. The oil scavenging, the directly connected  starter/generator, the stroke, the revs. It’s fantastical. 

I got a chubby when he said the crank was 85mm.  This thing will rev to the moon.

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I agree with him here.  I find myself almost never using the paddles unless I'm driving in the mountains.  There's no reason to.

I actually exclusively use the paddles. From simply being  in the right gear on an on ramp to engine breaking at lights, it seems pretty much superior all the way around to me.

4 hours ago, G650 said:

I actually exclusively use the paddles. From simply being  in the right gear on an on ramp to engine breaking at lights, it seems pretty much superior all the way around to me.

I'm guessing both of you have DCTs?  I guess it's a function of your tranny software and how good it is for your purposes.

I have had manual mode and/or paddles for a while now and never used them much, finding the "sport mode" to be adequate.  However, with the steep-geared 8-spd slushbox, I find a manual downshift to be quite handy.  My tranny is programmed for mileage and with the four-banger unboosted, it comes pretty close to lugging up a hill, which is weird with an AT.

Is engine braking a good idea with a DCT?  From what I understand, the clutch plate surfaces are as small as can be gotten away with (compared to a conventional manual), which would seem to exacerbate the heat dissipation problem.

While I think the fluid coupled AT is one of the most remarkable inventions, evar, I am super-intrigued by DCTs.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I'm guessing both of you have DCTs?  I guess it's a function of your tranny software and how good it is for your purposes.
I have had manual mode and/or paddles for a while now and never used them much, finding the "sport mode" to be adequate.  However, with the steep-geared 8-spd slushbox, I find a manual downshift to be quite handy.  My tranny is programmed for mileage and with the four-banger unboosted, it comes pretty close to lugging up a hill, which is weird with an AT.
Is engine braking a good idea with a DCT?  From what I understand, the clutch plate surfaces are as small as can be gotten away with (compared to a conventional manual), which would seem to exacerbate the heat dissipation problem.
While I think the fluid coupled AT is one of the most remarkable inventions, evar, I am super-intrigued by DCTs.
Yes, i have a DCT. Not sure about the X5M.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have a "faux" DCT. The last two M5s have the DCT I believe.

In a car it's definitely not as big of a deal, but with this 5,000 lb monster it's almost obligatory. In fact, to drive it fast, it is obligatory. It's the only way you will get into corners efficiently. But in terms of day to day driving, just simple things like when you come up on someone in front of you going slightly slower, click down a gear and you will settle right in without touching the brakes. Over time all these little actions add up. It can make a 10,000 mile + difference in when you need to change your brake pads, without any exaggeration.

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
5 hours ago, G650 said:

Maybe, but why? You've got enough power to pass anyone as it is.

Lugging the engine is awful for it for one.

My engine doesn't ever lug. Transmission does a very good job of keeping me in the right gear, like an auto does. Quick downshifts when i need them.

Then again, you drive around exclusively in sport plus, right? I'm rarely in dynamic unless I'm going up or down Berthoud pass. Don't care for the herky jerky experience. I'm in comfort 99 percent of the time.

6 minutes ago, G650 said:

I have a "faux" DCT. The last two M5s have the DCT I believe.

In a car it's definitely not as big of a deal, but with this 5,000 lb monster it's almost obligatory. In fact, to drive it fast, it is obligatory. It's the only way you will get into corners efficiently. But in terms of day to day driving, just simple things like when you come up on someone in front of you going slightly slower, click down a gear and you will settle right in without touching the brakes. Over time all these little actions add up. It can make a 10,000 mile + difference in when you need to change your brake pads, without any exaggeration.

Yeah, similar situation here.  The tranny keeps my RPMs under 2000, which means unboosted and out of the power/torque curve, in steady-state driving at about any speed (until you get past 80 or so).  I imagine yours is pretty similar because of CAFE concerns.

So if I am going to get power, something has to give.  Either a downshift or the boost kick in, preferably both.  The tranny is either slow or purposely slow to downshift and I suppose there's a bit of turbo lag, but I have no basis for comparison.

And yeah, if you have a TC, engine braking shouldn't be a problem.  With a true DCT, I'd be a little concerned as I don't think those clutches are designed to slip much, they're relatively tiny, and I'm sure ungodly expensive to replace.

11 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Mmmm, LSPI.

Si, senor.  This is what I fear.  The LTG engine has had some piston problems that appear to be detonation-related (or may be ring gap related)  I have never experienced an AT that comes as close to lugging as this lil beasty.  Makes me kind of wish I had the 6spd.

Gotta say, though, mashing that little sewing machine engine with nearly 300 ft-lbs is an experience.  Even the 2.5L four in my TSX made more sturm und drang with less go than this.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Question for you BMW guys. My wife has her eye on a 2017 430i Convertible. I've never owned or even been around BMWs much in my life, so all I know is what I've seen on the YouTube channels I follow, which is "BMWs will ruin your finances/life". But I think all of those are older V8/V10 models, this 430i has a four banger. It's coming off a lease and has fewer than 50k miles on it. Am I setting myself up for disaster? 

4 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Question for you BMW guys. My wife has her eye on a 2017 430i Convertible. I've never owned or even been around BMWs much in my life, so all I know is what I've seen on the YouTube channels I follow, which is "BMWs will ruin your finances/life". But I think all of those are older V8/V10 models, this 430i has a four banger. It's coming off a lease and has fewer than 50k miles on it. Am I setting myself up for disaster? 

I mean, all I can give is anecdotal evidence, and frankly, even though my last two daily drivers have been BMW, I would not only not consider myself a BMW guy but I actively think BMW guys are douchebags. So there's that.

That said, the only thing I've bought for my current ride over 150k miles is gas, oil, filters, tires, brakes and spark plugs, in descending order.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, Sandman said:

As someone who has recently been in the market for a new/used car, it's probably wise to go CPO or with remaining warranty.  The idea being that you get some time to figure out if it's going to be a lemon on someone else's dime.

All cars are getting expensive as hell to repair, particularly for drivetrain things.  Krautwagens may be on the upper end of that scale.  And, if you can talk her out of a convertible, do so.  Just a bunch of other shit to go wrong.

I'm not sure a four-banger exempts you from problems.  They are pushing the little rascals really hard for power with fuel economy and they're pretty much all turbocharged these days with that attendant complexity and repair hassle.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 8/6/2020 at 7:26 AM, Okie State said:

I'll never get tired of spotting these in the wild. License plate SLZZPR.acf81f303a93d835ba9caf2c68d150f9.jpg

I don't think I have ever seen one in the wild.  Plenty of CTS-Vs and a few CTS wagons and SRX when it was a wagon.

You rollin in a Caddy there?

Edited by TwiceHorn

I don't think I have ever seen one in the wild.  Plenty of CTS-Vs and a few CTS wagons and SRX when it was a wagon.

You rollin in a Caddy there?

I've seen quite a few over the years around Houston. Used to be a black one at my office. I think I may have even seen a red one once, or maybe I'm just imagining that.

Overall I still like the E63 wagons better, but both are great.

That was taken from my SS daily driver.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Okie State said:

I've seen quite a few over the years around Houston. Used to be a black one at my office. I think I may have even seen a red one once, or maybe I'm just imagining that.

Overall I still like the E63 wagons better, but both are great.

That was taken from my SS daily driver.

Ah, nice! You are a Q-ship fan in reality then. The door handles and mirror seemed GM, if not Caddy.

Ah, nice! You are a Q-ship fan in reality then. The door handles and mirror seemed GM, if not Caddy.
Indeed. I've never been into super flashy cars, but I do appreciate performance.

The SS is very much a GM parts bin car. Many pieces are interchangeable with other models although a few are one offs and will likely be a huge pain in my ass if I keep it long term.

8 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Indeed. I've never been into super flashy cars, but I do appreciate performance.

The SS is very much a GM parts bin car. Many pieces are interchangeable with other models although a few are one offs and will likely be a huge pain in my ass if I keep it long term.

Add in that it's basically a Holden, now defunct, and yeah I could see that being a problem.

I think it's been noted on the thread, but Buick canceled the Regal, so they are 100% SUV now.  Geezus. The Regal GS in sportback form was actually a pretty nice car except for FWD/AWD.  Immense cargo capacity, apparently, while still looking decent.  

Edited by TwiceHorn

So, tell me about runflats and alternatives.

I have ContiSports and they're rough as a cob.  Also expensive to replace.

Are conventional tires with a can of fixaflat a reasonable alternative?  I don't think I have ever had a full-on flat on the road.  It's always a slow leaker that goes down while the car is parked and I come out to a flat.  Sure as I say that, I'm gonna have one.

Runflats are indeed absolute shit for ride quality. However, fix-a-flat is a no for modern TPMS sensors as well as ruining what is often a repairable tire. Better to carry a cigarette lighter powered air compressor, a plug kit (add pliers to pull out the puncturing object), and an AAA membership. If it's a small leak, pump and drive to Discount Tire so they can properly plug it. If it's a larger leak, plug it and pump it and drive to Discount Tire to get it properly plugged. If it's a huge leak, call AAA and have them tow you to the nearest Discount Tire.

Another alternative is a spare tire. If you have the trunk space, some people buy a spare wheel/tire and carry it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Runflats are indeed absolute shit for ride quality. However, fix-a-flat is a no for modern TPMS sensors as well as ruining what is often a repairable tire. Better to carry a cigarette lighter powered air compressor, a plug kit (add pliers to pull out the puncturing object), and an AAA membership. If it's a small leak, pump and drive to Discount Tire so they can properly plug it. If it's a larger leak, plug it and pump it and drive to Discount Tire to get it properly plugged. If it's a huge leak, call AAA and have them tow you to the nearest Discount Tire.

Another alternative is a spare tire. If you have the trunk space, some people buy a spare wheel/tire and carry it.

The 12VDC compressor is a good idea.  I had one that was part of one of those jumpstarters, but it gave up the ghost.  Last time I came out to a flat I used a bicycle pump to air it up.  Lmao.  It worked to get me down the road to Discount.

Any recos on good inflators?  

No brand- or model-specific recommendations, but do pay attention to the cord length. I've had some in the past that barely reached the rear tires of average-sized vehicles. 

I like the one I currently own, but don't expect that it's so far and away superior to similar alternatives that it necessarily merits a specific recommendation. Nevertheless, I'll take a picture of it or note the brand/model at my next convenient opportunity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Every 12v pump I've seen on Amazon looks like ass quality and all cheap disposable Chinese trash.  I think there's engineering limits to 120w of juice and nobody cares to make one with quality internals.

I have spare plugs and a can of fix a flat in the trunk.  That said, in 2 decades I've never suffered an on-road puncture (knock on wood)

If you get one that you hook to the battery it’s fine. Definitely not as compact, though.

I have the Harbor Freight one and it’s been fine for airing up my 32s (haven’t used it on the 33s yet), but the Viairs are kind of the standard.

VIAIR 400P Portable Compressor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000X9AXR8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_zpcoFb3RSPS6V

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The more I think about how shitty some of the others I've owned over the years have been, the more I actually would specifically recommend the one that I currently own.

I had a hairline crack in a wheel once upon a time, and it was a real hassle to diagnose (assumed it was the tire, mount, etc., before the wheel) so I may have more experience with plug-in compressors than typical. 

In addition to the cord length, I would also say that having a quality nozzle (i.e., screws into place, not one of those shitty "flip down hammer-looking" jobs) and a pressure gauge are also useful features. 

*book pictured for scale - not included 

20200815_133134.jpg

20200815_133205.jpg

20200815_132958.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I mean it says right on the side of the compressor. 1.75 cfm at 0 psi.

I could grow a Rip Van Winkle beard by the time that thing inflates something.

Just drive your flat ass tire to the nearest gas station or better yet don't be one of the "hurr durr run flats hurt my driving experience " morons and get run flat tires like a non moron.

If you are like @Anton Chigurhand actually go offroad seriously, you need an onboard compressor.

3 minutes ago, Anton Chigurh said:

No, mine is literally this:

https://www.harborfreight.com/12v-150-psi-compact-air-compressor-63184.html

I’m sure the rated duty cycle isn’t that great, but it will definitely air up 4 32” tires from 15-20psi to 35psi in 20 minutes or so.

I realize that. I'm saying its insufficient and you should get an onboard compressor