The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

35 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Your passenger floorboard appears to be a dumpster. 

Correct. I generally don't have passengers in that car, it has 214,000 miles on it, no muffler, no e-brake, bespoke oxidation, so many quirks and idiosyncrasies that nobody else could drive it without error/inconvenience, and was purchased for the primary purpose of abandoning at a desolate train station parking lot all day as well as for driving in Chicago winters. 

The post its have radio stations listed so that reprogramming is easier when the battery drains in the winter or when other gremlins fuck up the presets. Other post its have CEL codes and other miscellaneous notes to myself. 

I guess I can remove the post it with the CD changer contents since the CD player only works as a disc confiscation device now. I'll remove it, crumple it up, and throw it in the passenger footwell at my earliest convenience. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I feel like I created a Car enthusiast.

I gave my nephew lots of Car Magazine Subscriptions when he was growing up.

He was a Valet in HS, and purchase a nice $30k Lexus coupe when he graduated.

He is just started school for Journalism in North Carolina at A real good school, Elon and wants to be a Car Journalist. He is already a member of a car club there.

His little brother said they went 150mph one time. Ugh.  I still remember trying to teach him to drive in a Tahoe and almost getting sideswiped pulling out.

I follow Stradman, DDE, Hoovies Garage, Doug Demero on Youtube.

Crazy Stradman just got a Buggati after just a few years of youtubing.  I'm doing it wrong.

Edited by BNB

21 hours ago, BNB said:

I follow Stradman, DDE, Hoovies Garage, Doug Demero on Youtube.

"I bOuGhT tHe ChEaPeSt Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Quad 442 oN tHe InTarTaRdS!  "Now, watch me change the oil, point out a few quirks and features, and otherwise not accomplish dick with it."

Do you layer a tee shirt under your tee shirt as well?  All these YouTube celebs are dipshits... except for maybe Rich Rebuilds, because he has balls, actually works in his garage (with seemingly zero training or specialized tools) and told Tesla to fuck themselves.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Gravy Train said:

"I bOuGhT tHe ChEaPeSt Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais Quad 442 oN tHe InTarTaRdS!  "Now, watch me change the oil, point out a few quirks and features, and otherwise not accomplish dick with it."

Do you layer a tee shirt under your tee shirt as well?  All these YouTube celebs are dipshits... except for maybe Rich Rebuilds, because he has balls, actually works in his garage (with seemingly zero training or specialized tools) and told Tesla to fuck themselves.  

1983 Cutlass Calais was the first car titled in my name.

• Hook 'Em 1

An Olds Cutlass 442 ("Flat Out 442") Hot Wheels is one of the few Hot Wheels cars from my childhood that survived both the many driveway impromptu ball-peen hammer fabrication/modification sessions as well as the many paint shop endeavors of my youth. 

It came with one of my Criss Cross Crash sets (I wore out my first one, and my parents thought it was such a good babysitter that they replaced it...), along with the Ford Torinos seen here (one of which very clearly stopped by my MAACO franchise).

These are now at home among Doomlet's garage of cars... 

20200913_120802.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/13/2020 at 1:15 PM, Prepuce of Doom said:

An Olds Cutlass 442 ("Flat Out 442") Hot Wheels is one of the few Hot Wheels cars from my childhood that survived both the many driveway impromptu ball-peen hammer fabrication/modification sessions as well as the many paint shop endeavors of my youth. 

It came with one of my Criss Cross Crash sets (I wore out my first one, and my parents thought it was such a good babysitter that they replaced it...), along with the Ford Torinos seen here (one of which very clearly stopped by my MAACO franchise).

These are now at home among Doomlet's garage of cars... 

20200913_120802.jpg

I had a buddy in HS with a 442 Cutlass

On 9/13/2020 at 11:38 AM, TwiceHorn said:

1983 Cutlass Calais was the first car titled in my name.

N.B. in 1983, the Calais was a trim level on the Cutlass that had bucket seats and a floor shifter and V8.  It was not the bastardized Chevy Citation that was the Cutlass Calais of later years.

This (no t-top or wing or vinyl roof)

3223430002_large.jpg?v=0

Not this

7020240006_large.jpg?v=1&f=1&nofb=1

They did, however, make a 442 on the latter platform.  WIth an NA DOHC Quad4 pumping out 180hp.  That was damned impressive for the time. 5L pony cars made 200 if that in that era.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 9/13/2020 at 11:22 AM, Gravy Train said:

All these YouTube celebs are dipshits... except for maybe Rich Rebuilds, because he has balls, actually works in his garage (with seemingly zero training or specialized tools) and told Tesla to fuck themselves.  

That dude is good. Tavarish used to be pretty good.  Finnegan has some cool stuff.  But most of the exotic stuff is hard to consume for me (DDE, Strad, etc) 

That dude is good. Tavarish used to be pretty good.  Finnegan has some cool stuff.  But most of the exotic stuff is hard to consume for me (DDE, Strad, etc) 

Tavarish is a smart guy and I bet his videos are probably pretty good, but he was always so smug in his Jalopnik days that I never cared to follow him elsewhere.

Side profile near matches the F-type, which is not a bad thing. Not a fan of the front, but can't really place why. It just looks like a 350/370Z front with additional bulges to meat pedestrian crash regs. Back is non-offensive. A bit of Polestar, a bit of Lucid, a bit of random unibrow. Gets a solid 'meh' from me, same reaction I gave to the last gens.

The rear, particularly taillights, is supposed to evoke the 90s 300ZX

1024px-Nissan_300ZX_rear_20080408.jpg

The outdoor pix look a lot better than the indoor.  

I think all they need to do to fix that grille is shape it a little so it isn't just a rectangle.  Then it will be a bit less of a gaping maw.

Edited by TwiceHorn