The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

The rear, particularly taillights, is supposed to evoke the 90s 300ZX

1024px-Nissan_300ZX_rear_20080408.jpg

The outdoor pix look a lot better than the indoor.  

I think all they need to do to fix that grille is shape it a little so it isn't just a rectangle.  Then it will be a bit less of a gaping maw.

Looks more like a 90s 240sx

557075.jpg

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Looks more like a 90s 240sx

557075.jpg

Rice rice baby.  Nice fartcan.

What's the deal with those rims that stick out from the tire?  Is that what happens when you put something low profile on a rim that wasn't designed for it?

Also, random question, but why doesn't anyone make an inline 6 anymore except BMW?  People seem to love them in all applications and they are naturally smoove.  I guess the hood can't take that length.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

What's the deal with those rims that stick out from the tire?  Is that what happens when you put something low profile on a rim that wasn't designed for it?

Also, random question, but why doesn't anyone make an inline 6 anymore except BMW?  People seem to love them in all applications and they are naturally smoove.  I guess the hood can't take that length.

stance, bro

inline 6 needs transverse configuration and rear wheel drive... which cuts into cabin space.  we dont want smooth motors and balanced weight distribution..... we want 4 cylinder CUVs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Putting a small section width on so it stretches the sidewall. It’s goofy.

Mercedes has a new I6. Chevy has a new diesel one. Mazda is supposed to be working on one as well.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

inline 6 anymore except BMW? 

merc M256 says hi

part of it is packaging (inline 6 doesn't fit in transverse applications, it's 2 cylinders longer than a V8 so can rob cabin and crash space even longitudinally), part of it is cost (V6 and V8 can often share development and manufacturing lines), part of it is emissions requirements (everyone used to have I6 engines, but updating it meant a whole new engine or some such, which because of the first couple factors meant you were more likely to go with a V layout). 

as things are going toward smaller, FI engines in the ICE's last gasps, some of those factors turn around.  an I4 and I6 can share a line and development, then you can do hot side/cold side things (the M256 has a small electric supercharger in addition the exhaust blown one, sitting on the cold side.  you can't have an electric compressor sitting on the hot side, so it's not really possible to do with a V layout.) 

mazda is developing an I6 for use in a new rwd platform which will also underpin lexuses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It pops up on my google feed on my phone and I click it from time to time.  I have enjoyed what I have read for the most part, but don't inhabit it.  Is it an ad-a-palooza?  Something else wrong with it?

It's a Gawker Media product, little more than an ignorant and smug affront for industry reposts and writers with shit opinions.  It's the Automotive-equivalent of Deadspin.

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It pops up on my google feed on my phone and I click it from time to time.  I have enjoyed what I have read for the most part, but don't inhabit it.  Is it an ad-a-palooza?  Something else wrong with it?

There is no editorial direction or standard.  Half of the site is content with completely random quality, gravity, and depth.  Basically it's like taking all the individual posts here and turning them into an article. 

The other half of the site is just cross-promotion of their parent media network.

Yeah there is 1 or 2 person there who knows what they're talking about and put out good content. 

But on any random day the site looks like this:

1.  Why I think the Beretta has better looking lights than the Passat

2. Buy Anker's new USB chargers at a discount this weekend only !

Gawker has been dead since 2016.

I think that a little more of the "old staff" remains at Jalopnik in comparison to the other sites, but the whole thing has been circling the drain for a while now. The coup de grace was some time last year when the new ownership (some venture capitalists or hedge fund or some other vultures) demanded that Deadspin "just stick to sports." 

On 9/16/2020 at 12:06 AM, Sam Lin said:

Side profile near matches the F-type, which is not a bad thing. Not a fan of the front, but can't really place why. It just looks like a 350/370Z front with additional bulges to meat pedestrian crash regs. Back is non-offensive. A bit of Polestar, a bit of Lucid, a bit of random unibrow. Gets a solid 'meh' from me, same reaction I gave to the last gens.

Like Hollywood, today’s stylists offer nothing new.

1969:

A6120DEC-94C2-4165-BF20-C9D236A86EB1.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

That interior appears to have gone full boy-racer. Audi, Benz, even Volvo are wiping the floor with BMW right now re: interiors.

To be fair, an M Competition is pretty much pure boy racer.  Subtle as a cold douche.

I have seen several S90s recently, and that is a fine looking luxobarge.

I also saw a CT6 in gray (have only ever seen in black) and that was a fine looking luxobarge.

Neighbor has a CT5 in the driveway, may be a loaner.

Edited by TwiceHorn

13 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

And what the fuck are those teutonic douchebags doing with the seats? 

Der Hodensack-Halteplattform ("scrotum holding platform") seems like an unnecessary option box to check. 

message-editor_1600802421302-p90399268_highres.jpg

message-editor_1600802428520-p90399270_highres.jpg

message-editor_1600802408638-p90399278_highres.jpg

Nice, I been looking for some good ballsack, and shaft support seats for a while now. They keep getting in the way of my shifting...

Speaking of interiors, this ATS is the first car I have had with a predominantly black interior.  Only the seats are dark brown.  Prior vehicles have been progressively more black (dash, console, etc. but not carpet), but this is far and away the blackest./noracist.

I have not been a fan of this trend, generally, as it seems like it would be hot af in Texas.  It's been pretty tolerable though, and stays cleaner than I would have expected (the carpet in particular), but that may be a function of just not driving much these days.  And maybe also helped by the fact that the car is white.  For some odd reason, it seems to cool off especially quickly when it is hot af. 

A few times, after biking, I have remote started it when I am nearby to cool it off and it roars like an mf with the AC on max.  Maybe it's the sewing-machine engine that makes that more noticeable.

55 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Speaking of interiors, this ATS is the first car I have had with a predominantly black interior.  Only the seats are dark brown.  Prior vehicles have been progressively more black (dash, console, etc. but not carpet), but this is far and away the blackest./noracist.

I have not been a fan of this trend, generally, as it seems like it would be hot af in Texas.  It's been pretty tolerable though, and stays cleaner than I would have expected (the carpet in particular), but that may be a function of just not driving much these days.  And maybe also helped by the fact that the car is white.  For some odd reason, it seems to cool off especially quickly when it is hot af. 

A few times, after biking, I have remote started it when I am nearby to cool it off and it roars like an mf with the AC on max.  Maybe it's the sewing-machine engine that makes that more noticeable.

FGtwPcrpMuQNDiyb8vwFbJr8hY_1fshSp-E8gbOb

• Hook 'Em 1