The New Car Fanatic Thread

Assman

Probably doing the car out front for Christmas thing, as it's time to retire the wife's Audi. You guys know how those things are when you get mileage on them. Wife wants the bottom one over the top one. I know, women are weird......

I am assuming she knows someone with the Telluride and that's why she initially wanted to look at them? Anyway, we went and checked it out. A lot of room(seats 6 to 7). We have a 5'8 12 year old volleyball player, and thus cart around other giant children as well. A lot of features. Interior surprisingly nice. Not a fan of the FWD/AWD configuration, but I had to keep reminding myself it wouldn't be for me. Having a tough time pulling the trigger on a 46k Kia. Am I wrong? Have I become stuck up? Need your help fellas. She absolutely hates the Q80 mom wagon. Any mention of buying one and she loses her shit! We already have an older Suburban that she hates because it's too big. We checked out the smaller Audi SUV's and surprisingly they are pretty cramped inside.

2021-audi-a6_100747120_l.jpg

JDPA_2021%20Kia%20Telluride%20SX%20Night

Go for it.  Kia/Hyundai I think is on the verge of seizing a new level of prestige.  And Tellurides look pretty cool in person.  They're unusual enough to be a bit head-turning.  Their styling department is killing it, imo.

Very much with you on the FWD/AWD thing; it's a huge turnoff for a lot of S/CUVs.  But it ain't yours, as you wisely point out.

And just like the hermit named Dave, think of the money you'll save!

Edited by TwiceHorn

Probably doing the car out front for Christmas thing, as it's time to retire the wife's Audi. You guys know how those things are when you get mileage on them. Wife wants the bottom one over the top one. I know, women are weird......

I am assuming she knows someone with the Telluride and that's why she initially wanted to look at them? Anyway, we went and checked it out. A lot of room(seats 6 to 7). We have a 5'8 12 year old volleyball player, and thus cart around other giant children as well. A lot of features. Interior surprisingly nice. Not a fan of the FWD/AWD configuration, but I had to keep reminding myself it wouldn't be for me. Having a tough time pulling the trigger on a 46k Kia. Am I wrong? Have I become stuck up? Need your help fellas. She absolutely hates the Q80 mom wagon. Any mention of buying one and she loses her shit! We already have an older Suburban that she hates because it's too big. We checked out the smaller Audi SUV's and surprisingly they are pretty cramped inside.

2021-audi-a6_100747120_l.jpg

JDPA_2021%20Kia%20Telluride%20SX%20Nightfall%20Edition%20Black%20Front%20View.jpg

Audi makes SUVs, too. Q7s are really nice.

Remember how disappointed you were as a child when you tried to design a new car out of a hodgepodge of deconstructed Hot Wheels cars, Matchbox cars, Legos, Play-Doh, Capsela parts, Tinker Toys, and whatever else, and it just turned into a psychotic amalgamation of incompatible parts, some of them at radically different scale than the others? 

I thought of that when stopped in traffic behind an X5 m50i (or some other mishmash of meaninglessness) the other day.  I don't know what all they were going for, but the mosaic of symptoms is definitely far less than the sum of its disconnected parts. 

Fucking yuck. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

My wife is oogling the Telluride right now as well.

That Audi is weak AF compared to the X5M or Cayenne Turbo btw. I had one try and race me once. Maximum lulz.

I'd race you and beat you with my weak as Audi. My neighbor with the X6M and i raced up an on ramp. All he saw was taillights until i lifted at 120.

I prefer the look of the palisade to the telluride myself. In general I like the Hyundai suv looks and Kia cars. 
I know nothing of their reliability, plus isn’t this a new platform?  I do think their interiors are/were cheap hard plastic everywhere. No clue if that’s still the case. Also, does their value still sink like a stone?

10 hours ago, Gravy Train said:

A 500HP, 4.0T V8 (same Porsche engine derivative in the Panamera, RS6/7, SQ8, Urus, Bentley) Audi SQ7 solves nearly all the conflict here. 

Bonus:  It's actually attractive-looking.

4.jpg

An SQ8 is a much simpler solution to the problem and looks significantly better. My wife was eyeballing one today which probably means the Expedition is short for this household. Have to buy my oldest a vehicle first though. She has no preference, so have not even figured out where to start. Thinking a new Escape.

1 minute ago, 52-80 said:

if you want the prettiest suv, get a volvo xc90

maybe jaguar ipace

As much as I am enjoying my lil turbo four, my car weighs 3300 lbs.  A turbo four in a GLC seemed "adequate."  I can't really imagine it hauling around a third-row-seater.  Even with an additional supercharger.

That said, I agree on the vulva's looks.  I have seen a small handful of S90s lately, and that is a stately saloon without looking bloated.

It's actually not horrible in our XC90. We're not hot rodding it around obviously, but the power is enough for everyday driving without any concerns. It's also worlds better than the Lexus hybrid motor in the RX we had. I hated driving that thing.

This is the T6. I'd imagine the T5 is lacking a bit.

• Hook 'Em 2

I'm generally skeptical about the reliability, affordability, and short/medium/long term effectiveness of Volvo's overengineered (to my eye) twincharged 2.0L engine. 

Twincharging seems like it should be the province of mad scientist drag racing types, not moderate and high performance family vehicles. 

3 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I'm generally skeptical about the reliability, affordability, and short/medium/long term effectiveness of Volvo's overengineered (to my eye) twincharged 2.0L engine. 

Twincharging seems like it should be the province of mad scientist drag racing types, not moderate and high performance family vehicles. 

Gagreed.

3 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Gagreed.

Well, they don’t want to be accused of having a shit engine!
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Eh, I don't have a big sample size, but the couple I've had in the work fleet have been pretty good. Driven by a superintendent, so got crazy miles. 280k+ or so.

Edited by G650
fucking spelling